Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Scotts 3n1 in a Pot
    #861466 - 09/03/02 10:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

A couple of weeks ago, an unused flower pot was filled 3/4 of the way full with straight Scotts 3n1.  A layer of four crumbled PF cakes was then added and the pot was topped off with another layer of straight Scotts 3n1.  Other than placing the pot in a shady location (no direct sun) and watering every few days, nothing else was necessary.

The strain is PR.  It appears that the pot has been watered recently.. :grin:

Peace 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #861505 - 09/03/02 11:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Was that straight out of the bag, or did you prepare it in some fashion? ie: Baking or pasturizing. :confused: 

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: TM]
    #861510 - 09/03/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Straight out of the bag. The ultimate in easy cultivation if your climate can support it.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #861550 - 09/03/02 11:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, that does it! I'm cracking my bag of Scott's 3 in 1 tonight! I have several colonized 1 pint cakes to grate and lots of aluminium pans. It'll be neat to compare it to the perfomance of horse poo. 

Just one small problem... I have no incubator space left! My oven (with a heating pad) is full of poo trays already (not quite ready for transfer to fruiting tubs yet).

Maybe I'll have to wait a few more days. :frown:

I wish the weather here was still in the 80's, but it's cooled off considerably. :frown: 

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #861587 - 09/03/02 11:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Here?s a casing of Scotts 3n1 innoculated with 1/2 pt. of BRF cake. The substrate is straight Scotts 3n1 with no added vermiculite, no casing, and it was used straight out of the bag. The strain is PR once again -- had quite a few spare PF jars of PR on hand and decided to play a bit.

PR (Scotts 3n1):

For comparison, T3 (straight birdseed cased with 50/50+):

Peace

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #861602 - 09/03/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

mine did much better pasturized than not,
i think it?s well worth the extra time invested.
still, it?s good stuff.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: Hippie3]
    #861614 - 09/03/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

i think it's well worth the extra time invested.

I'm curious to know if you're suffering from an inordinate amount of contamination; otherwise, I see no benefit in pasteurizing. Personally, I have never seen a need to pasteurize Scotts 3n1. Please expound.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #861636 - 09/03/02 11:54 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: Anonymous]
    #861651 - 09/03/02 12:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

how deep the top layer of Scott's 3-in-1 is

Total substrate depth is roughly 3cm or so.

In reply to:

He used a top layer of coco-substrate that was 3-4 inches thick on his tray culture tests and also 4 crumbled brf cakes as a bottom spawn layer similar to what you have done here. I wondered why he didn't just mix the spawn into the substrate as you normally would and he said that he wanted to see if the more aggressive "strains" would be the ones to colonize the substrate and reach the top surface first and begin fruiting over the weaker strains that existed within the same "spawn".

In this case, the BRF cake (crumbled) was evenly mixed with the substrate. I'm not sure how his theory worked out either, but I prefer integration of the spawn with the substrate to speed up colonization.

In reply to:

BTW, looking good!

Thanks!

--------------------

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #861817 - 09/03/02 01:21 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

So this shows this 3in1 crap sucks compared to the plain ol' casing grains? Geez...

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: pleezr]
    #861828 - 09/03/02 01:26 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

So this shows this 3in1 crap sucks compared to the plain ol' casing grains? Geez...

The original idea was to show how easy it was to have a flower pot fruiting outside with 3n1. I posted the other pics just to show Tripmeister what could be expected using 3n1 straight out of the bag with no added vermiculite and innoculated with a single 1/2 pt. cake.

Also, you can't compare the two casings. Not only are they different strains (from multispore innoculations), the 3n1 wasn't cased and the birdseed was for instance.

--------------------

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
    #861847 - 09/03/02 01:35 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

damn.. well the temps in my house are a bit lower than mid 80's, but I did pick up 3 40lb bags of the Scotts 3in1.  :smile:
  Looking good so far.  Do you think that adding some pasteurized straw to the Scotts would speed things along or just keep it about the same?
      As a sidenote...  it doesn't have to be upper 70's or mid 80's to grow these puppies.  You can grow them fine even at lower temps. It's just going to take longer, but hey with such a small amount of work put into it .. why not try it? 

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: Alkaloids]
    #861852 - 09/03/02 01:42 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

Do you think that adding some pasteurized straw to the Scotts would speed things along or just keep it about the same?

I'm not sure. I skipped the straw because I didn't feel like expending the extra effort on what I was hoping would be a relatively quick and easy experiment. You may get better results with a different substrate. Try it and report back to us.

--------------------

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Loc: earth
    #861914 - 09/03/02 02:16 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i just wanted to confirm something. so 3in1 can be used as a casing layer? is there anything i should do like wet it to a certain degree or just leave it dry. and how deep would you recommend it to be if by substrate is aboout 3 inches.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: PSILOCYBE_RICKY]
    #861956 - 09/03/02 02:35 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

so 3in1 can be used as a casing layer

I assume that it would be possible, but I think you would get better results with 50/50+ or something along those lines.

In reply to:

is there anything i should do like wet it to a certain degree or just leave it dry

I didn't have to add any moisture. I used it straight from the bag.

In reply to:

how deep would you recommend it to be if by substrate is aboout 3 inches

I recommend using something else as a casing layer. The above will be cased with 50/50+ after the first flush.

--------------------

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Loc: earth
    #861991 - 09/03/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

kewl, the other day i saw something called aqua coir. it has cococ coir and peat moss, i think i'll use that. thanks. maybe i'll throw in some verm. maybe

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

#862828 - 09/04/02 03:36 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

no, actually i?m getting very few contams.
but i know of at least 2 cases where unpasturized 3-n-1 became infected with bacteria and didn?t make it,
whereas 9 batches that were pasturized fruited nicely.
so if you can live with the failure rate, fine.
personally i think pasturization is beneficial if not required.
here?s a small one of mine on 2nd flush-

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (09/04/02 03:40 AM)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: Alkaloids]
    #862831 - 09/04/02 03:39 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i found that the plain 3-n-1 colonized faster than those mixed with straw, nevertheless i prefer to add the straw because it binds the compost together better, allowing the casing to be removed from it's tray to be dunked whereas those w/o straw fell apart when i tried the same.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlinehappygrins
addict

Loc: Shroomery
Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: Hippie3]
    #862844 - 09/04/02 03:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>allowing the casing to be removed from it's tray to be dunked

Couldn't you just leave it in the casing tub and just add water untill its fully submurged and cover for 12 hours or so and then dump the water out and recase instead of removing it? ((this is assuming you are using a big casing tub that is like 1/2 full of colonized substrate))

--happygrins :grin:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: Scotts 3n1 in a Pot [Re: happygrins]
    #862868 - 09/04/02 04:16 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i tried that too before, but found that the casing keeps draining for awhile, letting water accumulate under it in the tray and allowing contams to get a foothold. lost only 1 tray but learned the lesson, now i let it sit out and drain a few days before returning it to its? tray.
here?s a pic of a recent attempt at dunking,
this is 2nd flush.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom