Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleplonkerism
Psychadelic Holiday Maker
Male

Loc: all up in your patch
first attempt at cultivating... Fruiting/harvest time!!! .. Pics..
    #8607035 - 07/08/08 04:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OP: Hey out there

I am based in Aus, Sydney. Just ordered 3 types of cubensis spore prints online, as far as i know this is legal - as long as i dont intend to cultivate them. Can anyone shed light on whether they think theyll get through?

UPDATE 28/07/08
OK, Stage 1 is complete! I am now the proud owner of 14 B+ syringes! Procedure i used is as follows:

1. Boiled water (tap water) for 30 minutes.
2. Open sterile syringes from packaging, attached needle also in separate sterile packaging.
3. Withdrew boiling water into syringes
4. Allowed to cool for approx 20hours
5. Constructed Glove box

After syringes cooled:
5. Sprayed room with Glen 20 liberally so surfaces were damp, allowed to dry for a few minutes before starting.
6. Disinfected Glove box with Glen20 and Isocol Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
7. Placed print, sterile packaged scalpel, glass (boiled and wiped down with isopropyl), and syringes into glovebox, close lid.
8. Squirted one syringes worth of sterile water into glass
9. Scraped entire print into glass
10. Ejected remaining syringes water into glass
11. Withdrew syringes one by one replacing needle cap after on each, trying to make sure no bubbles ended up in the syringe.

Hows that sound? Here are pics of my setup and how the syringes look afterward. The print was huge so the syringes have an obvious dark tint.

Completed Syringes:

Ahh, glad thats over! Next step BRF mix!

UPDATE 31/07/08

inoculated 3 cakes today. Tore the aluminium foil a bit while injecting. Covered with 2 layers of al foil. Didnt flame sterilise the needle as it didnt seem necessary (needle and syringe came pre-sterilised)... Hope thats ok..

Here are some pics of my jars after innoc. I have left them in my glove box for incubation. My main concern is i think i may have fucked up the BRF mix. I used 1.5cups verm to 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup BRF. The resulting mixture seemed very floury. Im not sure if ive done this right, even though i followed instructions exactly.

Help maybe?! Do these look any good?

UPDATE 12/08/08

Well here are a couple of pics of the 2 jars showing colonisation. The third jar is showing signs of something but still nothing exciting. Ill mention here that this jar was one that i only used 2 holes for and injected 1cc into each hole. From this experience ill only be using the 4 holes 1/2cc in each approach.

Pics @ 12 days:

Cant see it much, but its there and the first jar has myc around the whole middle section.

Also i have just knocked up another 5 jars but i think something went wrong in the sterilisation process i.e. water got in under the foil and inside the jars i think. There are small droplets on the inside of the jars and some residual water on the lids. I didnt know if this was good or bad so knocked them up anyway. Here are photos, i think they're too wet, i didnt see anything like this on the first lot i made... Hmmm

UPDATE 16/08/08

Some more pics. Damn its going slowly, but expected. The jars in the picture were innoc'd on 31/07/08, so been just over 2 weeks and this is progress so far. Ill refer to them as jar 1,2 & 3 as you see them appear from left to right in the first pic. Jar 3 still has not germinated so ive removed it. Doesnt look contam'd so ill keep an eye on it.

Jars from other side:

Close up on jar 2:

edit from now (september) : Ditched Jar 3 as it never germinated...

Jars 1 & 2 (innoc'd 31/07/08) are going nicely, if not a bit slowly. Started looking very rhizomorphic in some spots. Some pics:

And here are some pics of the plastic jars colonising (innoc'd 12-13/08/08). Not all have germinated. 8 of 10 have for sure and look healthy, but 1 shows only a small white spot which looks like it could be contam, and the other shows nothing at all. Anyway here are some pics:

Close up on the best lookers :

Update as of 4th September '08.

Ok some photos of my only successful-looking LC and the jars at various points in colonisation.

The LC. This is the quart jar with honey. Knocked up on 26/08/08 - been 9 days. Lots of clumps of white fluff balls. I guess thats the myc. The honey water has become a lot paler than when i started, it started as a deep honey colour.. Not completely clear though so might be some bacteria in there.

Here is the LC from a couple of angles. There are other bits in there too. Probably not good.. Looks like bits of caramelised suger maybe?

This is jar 1 @ approx 90% - innoc'd 31/07/08 - been 35 days (i know, its ages..). Notice blueing in some spots. im pretty certain its not trich, but bruising from moving them too much..Everything is still looking healthy but it has shrunk back from the glass in the middle. |)(| < looks like that if you know what i mean. Should i worry or will they be fine? :

This is jar 2 @ approx 60%, this is the one with really nice rhizo growth but is taking longer. It stalled for ages to begin with and only 2/4 points germinated. Also has a small patch of blue bruising...

And the other 10 plastic in various stages of colonisation ... These were innoc'd 12-13/08/08 - been about 23days so far and some are over 60%! Much faster than the glass, and higher germination rate. Only 3 of the 10 didnt completely germinate and of those 3, at least 2 points germinated. So hate to say it but im liking the plastic..

No contam's yet. Woohoo! :headbang:

--------
This is my FC before any cakes

And my TiT:
---------

Jars knocked up with LC on the 6/sep/08: 8/sep/08:

UPDATE 14/9/08:

The LC jars at 8 days:

2 plastic jars (innoc-13/08/08) dunked and rolled and placed in FC on 13/9/08.

One rolled in verm the other in 50/50 mix. Experimenting :wink:.

UPDATE 15.09.08

Shot of verm cake after 2 days in FC :

SMall knots forming.

Dunked 2 more cakes today. Jars 1 & 2. Jar 1 has been done for a couple of days now and jars 2 has just finished so ive dunked them both.. Those have been colonising for 46 days!!! So chunky you can carve 'em :lol:

All my LC jars are @ 100% in 9 days. Wicked! Still have another 8 plastic jars to finish colonising.

The 50/50 jar is showing fuzzy white growth in all the spots showing myc. Looks nice and healthy, no sign of any contams but its early days.. The Verm jar is doing the same thing but to a lesser extent..

Have been fanning& misting 1 time before work, and another 3-4 times from when i get home to when i go to bed.

Original 2 glass jars (innoc-31/jul/08) dunked, rolled and placed in FC on 15/sep/08:

All pics there are of jar 1, jar 2 can be seen in one of them. Was worried about extreme bruising on jar 1, so have since cased it using 50/50 method, and added more water.

The casing is showing signs of life! A few strands of growth are coming up.. Not many though, yet:crazy2:.

Jar 2, that went in with Jar 1 which is now the casing, is getting growth all over it now with little knots forming.

The first 2 jars are still going well.

Here is some pics of the FC and cakes...

Dunked 4 LC cakes for around 8 hours. Placed in FC later on that arvo.

Dunked and rolled another LC cake for a full 24hrs, placed in FC on 20th.

Some pics of whats cracking in my FC at the moment :smile:. Been almost 12days and no pins. Getting lots of outward growth though like little strands and bulges in some places. Today i noticed some little white dots on the 50/50 cakes that look a little different to the other growth ive seen so far. All thoughts are very welcome, i hope im not doing anything wrong. Im fanning and misting at least 4 times a day (probably closer to 8 times :lol:), and trying to get as much light as possible. Im a little worried that they maybe werent getting enough so ive started leaving the incandescent globe on that is directly above the FC (about 2 metres away tho).

No pins! :crazy2:

Just a few more days or what do you guys reckon?

Ok here are some pics finally:
The FC now:

Pins:

These are still small though, im guessing they will get bigger hopefully?

:rockon:

THeyve grown... Check out the pinset on the 50/50 cake.. It looks pretty good!

50/50 cake. It kinda looks like 2 different shrooms growing from the different colouring but it was MS so yeah..:

Some smaller ones growing that look kinda weird. Notice the cat hair.. I have 4 cats so cant help a couple of hairs straying into the FC. Doesnt seem to affect the growth but i still try to minimise it..

And its out of focus and overexposed but i like this pic for some reason :

Verm cake:

Other cakes.. The 3rd cake i put into FC has only 2 pins so far but looks set to pop.:stoned:

UPDATE 27/09/08

looook at my loveliess....

I cant stop looking at that cluster. It makes me happy :lol:.

The FC. Still only 3/8 cakes pinning so far and its obvious the 2 of them which i put in first. Third pinning cake (jar 2) is the one in the top left corner. Couple of small pins on that one.

UPDATE 27.09.08 (approx 12 hours later)

Its harvest time i think for one cake. Problem though, what do i do with all the little pins that arent ready yet? Wait for them or just pic them off and dunk. Doesnt look like the cakes going to produce much more this flush.

Some pics:

Pretty small shrooms, but im happy!

UPDATE 29.09.08

Some more pics of other cakes:
<The Verm Cake - also where i got the freshy from in the pic above..
< Jar 1 (or 2).. THe one that i didnt case... I forget now.. 
< And my casing is pinning quite hardcore-ly! There is a massive cluster fuck happening in the top left corner. That will be pretty to look at :mushroom2::rasta:

Oh and a couple of the LC jars are starting to show pins. Too small to take pics of yet but woot! My LC worked and i have about a quart jar full of the shit in the fridge. Enough B+ mycelium to last just a little while :wink:

Some insight into my super-complicated drying method:

Starts by me turning on my ceiling fan :lol: Notice the freshy in the second photo. Thats my biggest shroom yet!! (:lol:) Looks like a stogy

Edited by plonkerism (09/29/08 03:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: plonkerism]
    #8607042 - 07/08/08 04:24 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Australia and New Zealand will not allow any pre-sterilized Grow Bag Kits, spore syringes, or culture syringes to pass through customs. Customers in these countries are asked to restrict their spore purchases to spore print samples only to ensure delivery may be possible

From the spore works...One of the vendors.

So yes spore prints ONLY will be allowed in. No syringes.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: MHbound]
    #8607047 - 07/08/08 04:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

No syringes ?? .... Ive sent vacutainers to Australia with no problem before,I WILL help at least one person on every continent cultivate mushrooms,4 down 3 to go,anyone know anyone in Antarctica :strokebeard:

Invisiblewisp

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Blutjager]
    #8607051 - 07/08/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Syringes are very unlikely to make it throught Australian customs. It's possible, but if found, they will not be allowed through.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: wisp]
    #8607059 - 07/08/08 04:50 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah have been reading about the laws regarding those, so made sure i only ordered prints. Hawkseye was one of the sites, anyone ordered from them before? the strains happen to be active :wink:, three types of cubes.. will that matter?

Planning to start an LC when they arrive, using this method :

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5238137

and the pftek with help from this :
http://users.lycaeum.org/~mushrooms/tek/SCGTv0.6.html#spore_syringe_suppliers

ill keep this thread updated on how it goes..  :smile:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (07/08/08 04:54 AM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: plonkerism]
    #8607063 - 07/08/08 04:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

plonkerism said:
Yeah have been reading about the laws regarding those, so made sure i only ordered prints. Hawkseye was one of the sites, anyone ordered from them before? the strains happen to be active :wink:, three types of cubes.. will that matter?

Planning to start an LC when they arrive, using this method :

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5238137

and the pftek with help from this :
http://users.lycaeum.org/~mushrooms/tek/SCGTv0.6.html#spore_syringe_suppliers

ill keep this thread updated on how it goes..  :smile:

No Pc huh :slitwrist::suicide: ??

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Blutjager]
    #8607075 - 07/08/08 05:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do you mean pressure cooker, i think i have one..    ??

if not ill use the 'near sterile' environment suggested. Hopefully that will work.. We'll see how it goes :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8607077 - 07/08/08 05:09 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

As the spores do not contain psilocybin they are technically legal. However, Australia customs dictates that any biological material that has not been processed, is not permitted into the country without a permit. So even though the spores are technically legal, if found, they will be confiscated. The same would go for an apple.

Having said that, it is very likely they won't be found. You would have to be quite unlucky for customs to find them. Most mail goes unscanned.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8607078 - 07/08/08 05:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yes I mean pressure cooker,the two threads you link to are for people without one,there are a million good LC teks on here if you have a PC(I like mine:lol:) and its no secret to anyone who has ever read my posts on here that I don't think anyone should ever even have brown rice flour in their house if they have a PC and can use grain.... I think they should legalize mushrooms and criminalize BRF :lol:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: wisp]
    #8607086 - 07/08/08 05:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

All im worried about is if they get found, are cops gonna come bust my door down for trying to import a psilocybe species?

If they just chuck them out, ill just try again!

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8607093 - 07/08/08 05:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8607097 - 07/08/08 05:18 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hahahaha, ok Blutjager can you link me your tek? Im still deciding best/easiest to use at this point.. Remember this is first time :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8607120 - 07/08/08 05:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

plonkerism said:
Hahahaha, ok Blutjager can you link me your tek? Im still deciding best/easiest to use at this point.. Remember this is first time :wink:

Here ya go >> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7320513/an/0/page/0 ; its also in my Sig and if you have Sig's turned off you can always find it in my journal :yesnod:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8607303 - 07/08/08 07:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

that is good i may use that, the baby bottles are plastic right? how to they stand up to the heat i figured they'd melt in a PC.. hmm im gonna ask around see if anyone i know has one i can borrow for an afternoon or so.. :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8607319 - 07/08/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Polypropylene and polycarbonate both stand up to high temperatures.

OfflineAsric
Fueled By Satan
 User Gallery

#8607429 - 07/08/08 08:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Personally I have had nothing but trouble shooting MS into nutritious liquid to make an LC. I would suggest going with what RR has said previously about making a grain jar, letting it colonize, filling it with sterile water and giving it a good shake and sucking up the slurry. You could easily make a hundred LC syringes off of this from one original MS syringe.

Yeah and dont worry about them busting you or chucking it. Prints are low profile.

--------------------
Looking to trade for:
Wedges of: Golden Oyster, Pink Oyster, Shaggy Mane, Stropharia R.
Prints of: Z strain, Treasure Coast, Exotics, Morels
Have to trade:
Wedges: Pearl Oyster, Wellington Oyster, Grey Oyster, Lion's Mane
Prints: B+
Other stuff: Micro centrifuge tubes, Home made artisan bouillon in chicken and shellfish (lobster and shrimp), Homemade pecan smoked salt

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8607577 - 07/08/08 09:50 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

plonkerism said:
that is good i may use that, the baby bottles are plastic right? how to they stand up to the heat i figured they'd melt in a PC.. hmm im gonna ask around see if anyone i know has one i can borrow for an afternoon or so.. :lol:

Yea they are plastic,I have used more than one brand and all of them stand up to the pressure cooker just fine,sometimes they get a bit "Cloudy" looking after they have been in the PC many times but this is only after making lc in them numerous times and they are cheap enough to replace by than..

O and I have also made "Grain Lc" like RR suggests,and I will say that that stuff is fantastic as well,it is easy to make more of it than you could ever possibly need and you may find yourself just walking around town with a syringe of the stuff shooting it on random things in the neighborhood just for the hell of it to see what will grow where:strokebeard:

I suggest filling a squirt gun with it or come up with some interesting answers for the police ahead of time or you may well find yourself in the basement of some national security building being tortured for not answering questions that you legitimately do not know the answers to when they accuse you of being some kind of terrorist with a biological weapon when they catch you shooting a 12 CC syringe into produce at the supermarket:hehehe:

Also I like the grain Lc because you know ahead of time if you may be dealing with contamination because its so much easier to see contamination in a grain jar than an lc jar or bottle,be careful making it though with the removing of lids and stuff you may well contaminate it anyway so make sure to do it in clean and still air at the very least

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8608372 - 07/08/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

They will not kick your door down. They are legal. You are studying them under a microscope with some friends, aren't you?? Yes you are. Nothing they can do...Now if you get caught selling them, or growing them thats a different ballgame, but growing mushrooms and grow pot are different. The majority of the mushrooms cultivation busts I've read about have been found when they raided the house for pot.

--------------------

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: MHbound]
    #8608510 - 07/08/08 02:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, check this out, The first time I tried growing mushrooms I put some potting soil in foil 9X11's  and cooked it in my barbecue pit. I took my first spore prints and scraped some on the soil, all three spore prints. After a week I had a small white growth thev size of half a dime, then it never got bigger. Then I did the PF tek with a PC that came with no rocker! on some Birdseed. Then I checked the incubator to find maggots in everything. Being a newbie is hard. The search function is your best friend.

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Asric]
    #8611262 - 07/09/08 02:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Asric said:
Personally I have had nothing but trouble shooting MS into nutritious liquid to make an LC. I would suggest going with what RR has said previously about making a grain jar, letting it colonize, filling it with sterile water and giving it a good shake and sucking up the slurry. You could easily make a hundred LC syringes off of this from one original MS syringe.

Yeah and dont worry about them busting you or chucking it. Prints are low profile.

Ok that does look better, but i only have spore prints. As far as i understand i need a solution that can be injected into substrate for colonization. This could be by using a spore syringe, which i cant get, or by using LC. The only reason im using the LC is to create myc i can inject into the cakes to colonize in the first place..

I guess my question would be can i colonise a cake somehow directly from a print without using LC or a syringe? The method you show requires me to have a colonised cake.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8611267 - 07/09/08 02:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why not just make a spore syringe yourself?

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: chobumms]
    #8611275 - 07/09/08 02:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chobumms said:
Dude, check this out, The first time I tried growing mushrooms I put some potting soil in foil 9X11's  and cooked it in my barbecue pit. I took my first spore prints and scraped some on the soil, all three spore prints. After a week I had a small white growth thev size of half a dime, then it never got bigger. Then I did the PF tek with a PC that came with no rocker! on some Birdseed. Then I checked the incubator to find maggots in everything. Being a newbie is hard. The search function is your best friend.

Damn, not inspiring... :lol:

I totally expect to fail the first time, but im cool with that. A learning process it is, and one im looking forward to undertaking!

Quote:

tripsis said:
Why not just make a spore syringe yourself?

That is something i havent researched and didnt know was possible from a print. Researching how to do it now. Do know any good methods?

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (07/09/08 02:30 AM)

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8611286 - 07/09/08 02:31 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Like tripsis said...Make your own syringe, or use whole grains. If you use whole grains...This needs to be done in a very sterile environment though...You can simply scrape off some of the print into the jar. I have never done this, but you can use about 1/5-1/10th of the print.

You'll want to use some tyvek or polyfil with whole grains.

http://www.shroomery.org/8403/Psilocybers-Syringe-Tek

Thats how you make a syringe.

--------------------

Edited by MHbound (07/09/08 02:32 AM)

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8611306 - 07/09/08 02:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Good luck on your first grow mate!  You might find some of this information useful:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1910621#1910621

:cheers:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

Loc: first row at church
Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8611323 - 07/09/08 02:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

my Q tips made it in :cool:

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8611492 - 07/09/08 03:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Good luck on your first grow mate!  You might find some of this information useful:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1910621#1910621

:cheers:

thanks mate :wink:

ok ive just ordered a box of sterile 18g 12cc syringes... but with 1in needle instead of 1.5. Im guessing this wont really matter as long as i get get it deep enough. Thats  what she said ;P

Making a spore syringe doesnt seem difficult. One thing im not sure of is how sterile my environment is going to be. Im reading http://www.shroomery.org/8681/Captains-Oven-Tek. Hopefull that will work. Otherwise Ill be working in a kitchen which ill clean with good ol' Glen 20, and isopropyl. I have no hood or glovebox...

How sterile does this need to be? It seems that if even a little bit of 'dirty' air gets in somewhere, the whole process is down the sink. Many stories ive read on here seem to indicate that its not that fragile. Just how touchy is it?

I want to make as few infection points as possible since i dont have pc and im worried that its all gonna go balls up on me..

has anyone had exp with just boiling the jars, syringes etc?

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (07/09/08 03:33 AM)

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8611583 - 07/09/08 03:56 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Turn a "rubermaid" type big plastic bin upside down with just a small amount, (enough for your forearms to fit), of the bin hanging over the edge of an extremely clean table. Turn off your AC, fans, coolers, etc. Spray the inside of the bin, the table, the air, walls, floor and dog with Lysol or equivalent, (Glen20? I'm a Yank so I don't know what this is...). The idea behind the upside down bin, (you need to see through it so do not use an opaque bin), is that you are creating a "still air" box.

The problem is, it's like an operation at the hospital. The slightest microbe will cause an infection, (contamination).  A microscopic pore/germ in your mix will "fight" the spores to be able to grow. The same environment that is perfect for spores to grow into mycelium, is perfect for thousands of other crap to grow. What your goal is, is to keep out ALL contaminates, (contaminates are EVERYTHING but spores), until the mycelium is strong enough to keep the contaminates from growing.

I know, it sucks.

You aren't going to get very far unless you read, read, read! I know this sounds harsh, but that doesn't make it any less true.

The fact is, (and I really hope you are successful), if you don't read the syringe making teks before you attempt to make your syringe, you will fail and all your money/time will have been wasted.

Please read up on this stuff first. You will be VERY glad you did. Not to mention, It'll keep you from staring at the mailbox all day!!!  :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8611611 - 07/09/08 04:09 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Turn a "rubermaid" type big plastic bin upside down with just a small amount, (enough for your forearms to fit), of the bin hanging over the edge of an extremely clean table. Turn off your AC, fans, coolers, etc. Spray the inside of the bin, the table, the air, walls, floor and dog with Lysol or equivalent, (Glen20? I'm a Yank so I don't know what this is...). The idea behind the upside down bin, (you need to see through it so do not use an opaque bin), is that you are creating a "still air" box.

Yes,like this >>

O and my sincere apologies to anyone that gets misled and thinks that is the best way to do things,the "Still air" upside down fish tank is still a great idea I just don't want anyone to think I would still be stupid enough to use polyfill in the holes in my jar lids covered with foil,I HATE that stuff and learned my lesson long ago :yesnod:

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8611614 - 07/09/08 04:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

O and sorry for the crappy picture as well,I took it with my old phone :slitwrist:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8611639 - 07/09/08 04:24 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Im reading up as much as i can at the moment, trying to cram as much info into this head as possible :lol:. That is a good suggestion, will try it. Definately the easiest rather than making my own glovebox (which i know isnt really that hard, just more work). I like the oven tek also, but i have a large kitchen which has walls only 3 sides with one whole side open to living area which would be contaminant heaven. If i do your method, would a bathroom be a decent place or will that have bum particles everywhere? :smirk: It would be a much smaller area to sterilise, and id be cleaning my house at the same time!

i have 50 syringes coming so plenty of practice and we are in the middle of winter here. By the time i get my act together it will be 20C to 28C spring days, that is a good temp i hear..

also will need some advice on fruiting chambers.. I know the info is here and will do my own research but to really get my head around it, its best just to ask someone who knows. Anyway ill get to that when/if it comes to it. Looks a fair way off from here!

edit: oo thanks for the pick. See stuff like that really helps a noob like me :smile:

Edited by plonkerism (07/09/08 04:26 AM)

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8611649 - 07/09/08 04:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I do my work in a bathroom...Well I do my inoculating in bathrooms. I go in the smallest one, close the door, spray everything with lysol...Meaning the toilet paper holders, the toilet, the sink, the walls, everthing else, and then I go out shutting the door behind me. Give it 5-10 minutes to settle, and move in to do the work.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8611662 - 07/09/08 04:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Put everything into the "Still air" box that will be needed and spray everything down with some bleach solution and than wait a few min,the rest of the room really does not matter all that much because nothing should be able to fall onto your work area but it wouldn't hurt to spray a bit of oust or Lysol.

Do NOT spray it in the glovebox and than flick a lighter.. even a few seconds seems like a long time when you are completely engulfed in flames and all you can smell is the hair burning off of your arms,by the way,in an enclosed area like a glove box its more akin to an explosion than a fire:hotidea:)

Rub an alcohol pad over your inoculation site,flame you needle just to be safe,cool it with a drop of spore solution dripping through the needle and than cover the inoculation hole with an alcohol soaked piece of micopore tape :thumbup:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8611681 - 07/09/08 04:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok ive decided to make a glovebox now. Seems like good option, and its not that hard either. Ill have plenty of time to make one while i wait :smile:..

im going to do both LC and make a few syringes. See which works better. Ill stick to one 'strain' (or at least one of the prints i got) for now and store the rest in ziplocks in cool place for next attempt.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8611784 - 07/09/08 06:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

im also interested in buying these.
http://www.mushbox.com/substrate-jars.html P

Pre-packaged and pre-sterilised brf cakes..

I know the substrate is easy to obtain and make myself, but without a PC this seems like a good option for a noob. Also cuts out a process which can lead to contamination..

I wondering if they can be shipped to Aus. If they are sterilised, does that mean they can be imported or are they a big no no?

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8611823 - 07/09/08 06:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I doubt it. Australia won't allow spore syringes, but allow spore prints. They will not allow cultivation supplies either.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8611862 - 07/09/08 06:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed. If found, they will not be let through.

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8611873 - 07/09/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
you are creating a "still air" box.

not a still airbox persay..since those are completely sealed. this would be more of a...  clean-area-with-less-chance-of-any-nasties-falling-on-your-working-area-box

OfflineAsric
Fueled By Satan
 User Gallery

#8612176 - 07/09/08 08:59 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Either way you are going to need to make a syringe from your print if you want to do cakes. I would suggest making a glove box from a clear tote to keep your work more sterile when making a spore syringe, or if you can go to your stove pull out the oven rack and run the oven as a poor mans flow hood. I have never tried scraping spores dirrectly into an LC but I imagine it would be more troublesome than shooting spores from a syringe into an LC and hoping for the best. Check out some of the syringe making teks on the site, you wont regret it. You can make LCs from cakes as you mentioned or you can make crazy amounts of LC off of fully colonized jars of grain.

EDIT: if you are going with BRF cakes you dont need to buy the expensive premade jars. BRF cakes can be steam sterilized. Check out the original PF tek on the cultivation part of the site.

--------------------
Looking to trade for:
Wedges of: Golden Oyster, Pink Oyster, Shaggy Mane, Stropharia R.
Prints of: Z strain, Treasure Coast, Exotics, Morels
Have to trade:
Wedges: Pearl Oyster, Wellington Oyster, Grey Oyster, Lion's Mane
Prints: B+
Other stuff: Micro centrifuge tubes, Home made artisan bouillon in chicken and shellfish (lobster and shrimp), Homemade pecan smoked salt

Edited by Asric (07/09/08 09:01 AM)

OfflineMonkeycyst
Stranger

Loc: Gimpsuit Cafe
    #8612203 - 07/09/08 09:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You need to make a spore syringe or liquid culture.

--------------------
"Worry is preposterous. We don't know enough to worry."

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Monkeycyst]
    #8616038 - 07/10/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah i know. Im happy with Psilocybers tek, going to do that  AND the LC. oohh la di da! also found some subs today which ill be using the cardboard tek on, then ill be planting myc in every suitable substrate in sydney lol

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8616055 - 07/10/08 02:31 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

That's the attitude!;)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8616060 - 07/10/08 02:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

gotta spread the love :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8616067 - 07/10/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You can ship some of those prints this way, and I'll continue your love spreading all over the world.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8616078 - 07/10/08 02:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

OfflineMonkeycyst
Stranger

Loc: Gimpsuit Cafe
    #8616162 - 07/10/08 04:43 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Good luck with your 'planting' .. and conquering the universe :thumbup:

--------------------
"Worry is preposterous. We don't know enough to worry."

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Monkeycyst]
    #8616242 - 07/10/08 05:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

universe can wait, mushrooms first. :cool:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8616243 - 07/10/08 06:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What strains did you order?

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8616250 - 07/10/08 06:07 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

equador, b+ and hawain i believe, the form crashed on me and i changed my mind on the third type i cant exactly remmeber. They dont send any emails for confirmation either so ill have to wait and see what i get. I looked for 'easy to grow' or 'best for first timers' etc.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8616255 - 07/10/08 06:12 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Nice. All cube strains should be as easy as next really.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8620276 - 07/11/08 01:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

starting card board tek today with stem bases from subs.. a little side project until my prints come.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8620336 - 07/11/08 01:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It's nice to see how the mycelium runs between cardboard. Subs are pretty rhizomorphic too.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8627661 - 07/13/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Oh cool so nice and ropey hey?

I didnt really take any sterilisation steps.. Just sprayed the tub im keeping the cardboard in with an antibacterial disinfectant (glen 20). Its still pretty cold so i hope thats ok for growth. I have a max/min temp thermometre in my room (where im storing the tub) and it gets from 14C to 23C in here. Ive only seen it done with Azurescans (sp?) and they like it a bit warmer than subs dont they?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8628365 - 07/13/08 07:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It sure should be.

Azuresecens is a cold weather species just like subs. I would think that those temperatures would be fine though. Mine is kept at 25C or more at the moment. To fruit them though, that temperature would have to decrease dramatically.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8628382 - 07/13/08 07:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok sweet. ill try to keep it a bit warmer. Im gonna start a new thread for this so i can get more info about spawning from cardboard.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8645638 - 07/17/08 02:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The prints have arrived. FUCK YEAH!

excuse the profanity..

Psilocybe Cubensis B+, Hawaii, Argentina.

Preparing to make syringes asap. Ahhh, looking good :wink:

The Hawks Eye is quite generous. There seem to be a few prints of each. Noice.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8679171 - 07/25/08 03:32 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ok im going to make some syringes this weekend. I have a tek im going to use. Basically Psilocybers tek using the oven door with foil over it as surface, maybe coupled with a box halfway over the edge to try and create a still air as well but dont know if thats the best.

Has anybody from Sydney had experience just using tap water and sterilising rather than distilled water? I dont think it would make a hell of a difference, but im going to try it using tap water, 1 print of B+ and make 5 syringes.

5 syringes to a print would be decent right? Ive just watched a tek on youtube where the guy uses 2 prints per syringe! I dont have the prints to fuck around with so i want to spread it out as much as i can. Any advice appreciated muchly..

Oh here is the video of that guys tek if anybody is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua-bAdvxEhg&feature=related

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8679178 - 07/25/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Make a glovebox, it's really not hard and you'll have far more success with it.

Tap water is fine.

100 syringes to a print would be fine actually, 5 is pretty damned wasteful.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8679200 - 07/25/08 04:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1277651#1277651

What do ya reckon?

Ok fine, ill make 10 then :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8679227 - 07/25/08 04:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Make 10-12 syringes at least. Making more is actually counterproductive.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8679260 - 07/25/08 05:10 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You mean making less, right?

Invisiblewisp

#8679263 - 07/25/08 05:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that glovebox will be better than nothing. It won't last long though.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8679273 - 07/25/08 05:18 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Indeed thats what I meant. Lol. Thanks again. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8679275 - 07/25/08 05:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

No worries, just making sure.;)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8681895 - 07/25/08 09:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ah ok, ill try to make as many as i can. I have 15 sterile syringes at the moment. I might make them up tomorrow with one print and keep them until it warms up a little. Can i keep the syringes for a month? Obviously in sterile, cool, dark area.

Still waiting on jars anyway. I cant find a place to buy them locally so have ordered some online. I have ordered some plastic pf jars from MycoPath that are PC-able etc: http://www.mycopath.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=39. Dont know if these are any good, i hear using glass is better than plastic but these were cheap and available.

For the glovebox ill replace the cardboard box with a similar sized plastic tub with lid, turn it upside down and so lid is on the bottom, open the lid to put materials etc inside. ?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8681914 - 07/25/08 09:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, the syringes will last for several months, no problem.

Don't bother buying jars, especially from overseas. If you really want the ones they use in America, there are a few places here that sell them. Drinking glasses with foil work fine for the PF tek though and any old jar works fine for grains.

A plastic tub is the way to go for a easy and sturdier glovebox. No need to turn it upside down though, although I'm sure it makes little difference.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8681978 - 07/25/08 09:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Lol really? I feel quite silly... still ill try with these jars anyway, no point wasting them.

In regards to using drinking glasses, sealing them with just aluminium foil will be ok?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8682124 - 07/25/08 10:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, for the PF tek anyway. You can with grains too, but it's far riskier. Just use one layer of foil with four pin holes in it, secured with a rubberband and then place another two layers tightly on top.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8682734 - 07/26/08 01:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Be sure to have a good layer of dry vermiculite on the top. Its in the tek, but some people decide to skip that part, and assume its ok. Its not. Its probably the most important step in preventing contaminates.

I would buy some jars. You can get 6-12 usually for like 7-10 dollars.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8682775 - 07/26/08 01:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Not here.;)

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8682865 - 07/26/08 02:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Damnit. I keep missing the whole Australia thing. Why are they so much? Are they hard to get? Try ordering some?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8682878 - 07/26/08 02:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

We're a giant island in the middle of nowhere. Shipping anything to us costs more, our population is one fifteeth of yours, so demand is considerably less and we have the hishest taxes in the world. All of those converge to make products expensive. As for those jars in particular, they aren't common at all - they're made in the US right? - so the few places they do sell them are very expensive, comparatively speaking.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8682885 - 07/26/08 02:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have no idea where they are made. I bought my 20 jars at once, and use quarts for my grains as of recently =]

Damn I didn't know all of that about Aus. I mean I knew its a big island, but I thought it had a larger population than that.

Anyway, what if I bought some jars for people over there and shipped them? Would it be that expensive to do? Like lets say I went out, and bought some...Then shipped them. Maybe I'm not aware of shipping things overseas. I haven't really done it...

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8683819 - 07/26/08 11:18 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Population = 20 million.

Go to the UPS site and see for yourself. I've had quite a few people offer to ship various things to me. Unfortunately, shipping often costs several time the price of the product, often more than $100.

It would be much cheaper to buy them from an Australian supplier who pays far less shipping on bulk quantities. In my opinion, it isn't really worth it for the most part. Jars are jars, especially if they're just for grains. It is nice to have them all of uniform shape and size, but not actually necessary.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8683966 - 07/26/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Find someone who blows glass. Thats insane to pay that.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8685290 - 07/26/08 06:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I know.:yesnod:

Canning jars are not the only useful jar to use though. Any jar works fine at the end of the day.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8691263 - 07/28/08 03:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

OK, Stage 1 is complete! I am now the proud owner of 14 B+ syringes! Procedure i used is as follows:

1. Boiled water (tap water) for 30 minutes.
2. Open sterile syringes from packaging, attached needle also in separate sterile packaging.
3. Withdrew boiling water into syringes
4. Allowed to cool for approx 20hours
5. Constructed Glove box

After syringes cooled:
5. Sprayed room with Glen 20 liberally so surfaces were damp, allowed to dry for a few minutes before starting.
6. Disinfected Glove box with Glen20 and Isocol Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol
7. Placed print, sterile packaged scalpel, glass (boiled and wiped down with isopropyl), and syringes into glovebox, close lid.
8. Squirted one syringes worth of sterile water into glass
9. Scraped entire print into glass
10. Ejected remaining syringes water into glass
11. Withdrew syringes one by one replacing needle cap after on each, trying to make sure no bubbles ended up in the syringe.

Hows that sound? Here are pics of my setup and how the syringes look afterward. The print was huge so the syringes have an obvious dark tint.

Completed Syringes:

Ahh, glad thats over! Next step BRF mix!

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8691324 - 07/28/08 05:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Good job. They should turn out fine. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8691617 - 07/28/08 09:00 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
Good job. They should turn out fine. :thumbup:

Hell Yea :rockon:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8695751 - 07/29/08 02:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys for your help so far!! Next is making the BRF cakes. I bought 10L of fairly fine grade verm today. Cost me $21. Didnt realise it would be so pricey!

Now im searching for BRF. CHecked my local IGA (aussie local supermakret) and they only had processed brown rice, or rice flour. Going to Woolworths now to see if they have it there.

I have some perfect drinking glasses to use. Im going to make 4 cakes from those and the other 10 when the jars i ordered arrive. Ill have to watch RRs videos again to refresh my memory. Its one syringe per jar right? And usually 1cc per hole, 2cc if you want faster colonisation time? That makes a max of 8cc per jar.. Isnt that wasting the other 2mL if you are using 1 'ringe per jar? This confuses me a bit. Im sure it will be cleared up when i watch the video again, but feel free to yell at me in the meantime :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8696090 - 07/29/08 06:05 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

you dont need to put more than 1/2 cc per hole. when i do pftek i only make 2 injection sites and i put 1cc in each.

if you put 8cc's in one its going to oversaturate and cause bacterial contams.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: themange]
    #8700784 - 07/30/08 02:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ok im going to go 4 holes 1/2 cc in each. Cheers for that!

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8700810 - 07/30/08 03:11 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

For vermiculite, go on a hydroponics store. It's around $35 for 100L.

Try healthfood stores for brown rice flour. If you thought the vermiculite was pricey, you're going to be horrified at the price of BRF.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8700844 - 07/30/08 03:42 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Oh forgot to metion i found some Organic BRF today from a healthfood store. 500g was approx $8! Dangit!

Im making up some cakes tonight so theyll be ready to inoculate tomorrow. Making 3 tonight as i only have 3 glasses that are the right size and shape. Ill upload some pics when im done..,

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8701114 - 07/30/08 07:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Just made up the jars. I used 1 1/2 cups verm, 3/4 cup of BRF, 3/4 cup water, and drinking glasses with straight sides which are a nice shape. Measured them to be just over a 1/2 pint when filled to the brim.

Mixed water first to wet verm then added BRF, just like in RR's video - wiped lip down, added dry layer of verm. Sealed with layer of aluminium foil with rubber band, placed 4 holes in this layer. Wrapped another 2 layers over the top. Boiled in large pot using a stove rack and a plate wrapped in foil to keep the jars off the bottom. Filled the pot with  water to just underneath the plate, just beneath the bottom of the jars. Started timer for 90 mins after reaching full boil then reduced to low boil so still producing lots of steam. Ive left them in the pot now to cool, going to inoculate tomorrow night.

Im going to wait a while before doing the rest to see how this goes. I think its too cold here at the moment for a fast colonisation, but ill be trying to keep them warm in my room. I might buy a small aquarium heater, could be useful. Was planning to store the jars in the glovebox after i inoculate.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8706105 - 07/31/08 04:49 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

inoculated 3 cakes today. Tore the aluminium foil a bit while injecting. Covered with 2 layers of al foil. Didnt flame sterilise the needle as it didnt seem necessary (needle and syringe came pre-sterilised)... Hope thats ok..

Here are some pics of my jars after innoc. I have left them in my glove box for incubation. My main concern is i think i may have fucked up the BRF mix. I used 1.5cups verm to 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup BRF. The resulting mixture seemed very floury. Im not sure if ive done this right, even though i followed instructions exactly.

Help maybe?! Do these look any good?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8706311 - 07/31/08 07:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

They look right to me. You don't want the mix to be particularly wet looking. Providing you have the dry verm layer, make sure you take the top layers of foil off so you only have the layer acting as the lid. It's normal for the foil to tear when using it instead of a lid. Make sure you flame the needle in between in each cake to prevent cross-contamination.

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8706373 - 07/31/08 08:14 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You are good to go.....:cheers: let us know how it is coming along for you.  kat

OfflineThe
Some Asshole
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8706381 - 07/31/08 08:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

those jars look a little to big, what size are they?

Invisiblewisp

#8706393 - 07/31/08 08:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

plonkerism said:
Measured them to be just over a 1/2 pint when filled to the brim.

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

#8706411 - 07/31/08 08:31 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have used half pints, when i first started......took forever to colonize completely but eventually they did...lol

Invisiblewisp

#8706424 - 07/31/08 08:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

What are usually used? Aren't half pints the norm?

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

#8706607 - 07/31/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yah 1/2 pints are the bees knees...kat

Invisiblewisp

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8706620 - 07/31/08 10:06 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Right. The imperial system does my head in, I don't understand why you don't all switch to the infinitely superior metric system.:grin:

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

#8706633 - 07/31/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey i have no problem with tha metrics>.....:thumbup:

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8706747 - 07/31/08 10:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Bad idea not flaming the needle. Not smart.

I did it one time, and guess what??? Every jar that I didn't flame the needle for got contaminated, but every jar that I did flame it they were fine.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8710624 - 08/01/08 02:18 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Chat. That sucks. I figure if these do contam, its only three jars and 1 syringe lost, no biggie. I figured that since the jars are already sterile, and i did this inside a glovebox that it would not allow much chance for contams to get in. The few seconds the needle was exposed to air while sucking up the spore water could have contam'd them though. I guess ill just have to wait and see

Tripsis: Yeah i guess its right, just looks different to others pics. So you say leave them to incubate with just the one layer of foil (with the holes in it) covering? Does not need any more protection? I had stored them with the al foil wrapped over the top covering the holes, but have now removed it, so holes are exposed. Is this what you mean?

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/01/08 02:21 AM)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8710626 - 08/01/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

And yeah America needs to get the metric system. FFS i cant work like this! Cup this pint that. Too much... Litres and Millilitres are where its at!

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8710684 - 08/01/08 03:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah mate, as long as you have the dry verm layer, that's all you need as a barrier against contaminants entering. You need to allow for sufficient gas exchange though, otherwise they'll stall.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8722785 - 08/04/08 04:10 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well had a look at the jars today and still no sign of germination. Its only been 4 days though and temps are not optimum, i still havent been able to buy that aquarium heater. It ranges from as low as 16c at night and hovers around 21-22C during the day. I keep a normal heater going in my room to try and keep temps up, but i turn it down a bit at night - otherwise its friggin hot in my room!

So i know this is going to hamper colonisation for the time being... Hopefully it doesnt stop it all together.. I really need to get that heater, but ive waxed all my cash this month and its still another 2 weeks till i get paid, noOOO!

--------------------

Offlinerisndeath
Stranger

#8722800 - 08/04/08 04:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I did the exact same thing you did, but i flame sterilized.

its been 11 days for me and no signs yet, hopefully you will have better results then I do :shocked:

--------------------
I am the fakest person on this website all claims made by this account are entierly fictional, i am a loser in real life and i pretend to know everything on this website as a way to increase my self esteem in no way am i contributing to the use of mushrooms or anything said on this forum.

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

Loc: Newcastle, N.S.W
Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: risndeath]
    #8727377 - 08/05/08 01:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i live in the blue mountains where it rarely gets over 18 degrees in winter. My jars take 4-6 weeks to fully colonize. I got my jars from REDBACK TRADING  When my cakes are put in the fruiting chamber, i make another mix up to inoculate again.

They fruit for around 4-6 weeks also.  So when there fruited out the other cakes are pretty much ready to go in again.

Yes my cakes are fruiting around 16 degrees.  They grow slow but ive never had any contams.

Ive also ditched my glove box as the last few batches ive done without it and still no contams.

When the weather warms up the growing process will speed up colinizing and fruiting times.

Hope this helps,cheers

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: kingy]
    #8727487 - 08/05/08 02:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey that helps a lot man cheers! And thanks for that site, i knew someone in Aus had to sell those jars. I am going to get some of those kerr 250ml wide mouths, perfect!

Well i checked today, still no sign of germination - im eager i know.

Ive bought an aquarium heater today, it was only $11. Removed the jars from the glovebox and placed them into another tub (i sprayed down the room and new tub first) with about 2in of water in the bottom and added the heater. Its set at 24C, will check tomorrow to see if it actually is pumping out this temp. The water comes up to just under 1/2 the jar. This will hopefully be adequate for good incubation.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8727522 - 08/05/08 03:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Also there is a photo of my 'incubator'. Im worried that if condensation occurs ill get contams in through the holes in the top.. It already looks a bit misty on the sides and its only been in there an hour. Should i drill holes or something or should it be ok?

--------------------

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

#8727532 - 08/05/08 03:31 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Are those jars sitting in standing water? :thumbdown:

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: gethyn]
    #8727533 - 08/05/08 03:34 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

If you your going to do this kinda incubator check out Magash's rye tek he has an incubator set up you need to check out. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4576865#4576865

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Edited by gethyn (08/05/08 03:34 AM)

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: gethyn]
    #8727611 - 08/05/08 04:43 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

personally i reckon incubaters arent nesssesary.
All my jars take about 10 days to show any sign of growth.  But when i does show its very good myc.

I dont think rushing the process is any good for your babys you should just let them sit out of the way and check every few days. (alltho i do remember my first grow where i checked on them about 4 times a day lol)

I had an incubater to start with,it was a reptile heater mat that sat under a fishtank and the temperature was controlled by a digital temperature sensor that had a probe going into the tank.

But after the first grow i realised that an incubator aint really nessesary.  Patience is the best asset to aquire when growing.

I havent read the whole thread but i know you had 3 different types of strains,each strain varies in colonization times especially from a print/syringe.  I wouldnt worry about the colonize temps, like i said im in the blue mountains where the temp is 4-15sometimes 16 degrees a day and mine work fine. Just takes a little longer.

cheers

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8727725 - 08/05/08 06:32 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gethyn said:
Are those jars sitting in standing water? :thumbdown:

Not anymore, just removed them and put everything back to where it was to start with. well fuck i hope i havent messed everything up by doing this. Ive put them back as they were in the glovebox. Some drops of water made it in there from the bottom of the jars, but i couldnt really prevent it.

I read this method here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1040734/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Seemed to work for him?

kingy:

Yeah cheers for that hey, im going to stick with room temps then. I was worried that being too cold would kill it or something, but yeah thats encouraging.

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/05/08 06:38 AM)

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8729938 - 08/05/08 04:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if they havent started colonizing yet it can be a number of things.Things that can slow the process down are cooler temps, not a strong enough injected solution.
Did you shake the syringe before knockin the jars up. Could also be to wet in the jars. 

Even if it was all these things that went wrong chances are it will still grow but it will take longer than usual.

Good luck with ya first grow anyways im sure it will be fine,
after you fruit your first everything will seem less worrying

cheers,kingy

p.s its also good to know that if you find nothing when you go hunting it doesnt matter that much anymore lol

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: kingy]
    #8731077 - 08/05/08 08:45 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kingy said:

p.s its also good to know that if you find nothing when you go hunting it doesnt matter that much anymore lol

Thats right my friend:sunny:

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8732215 - 08/06/08 02:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kingy said:
if they havent started colonizing yet it can be a number of things.Things that can slow the process down are cooler temps, not a strong enough injected solution.
Did you shake the syringe before knockin the jars up. Could also be to wet in the jars. 

Even if it was all these things that went wrong chances are it will still grow but it will take longer than usual.

Good luck with ya first grow anyways im sure it will be fine,
after you fruit your first everything will seem less worrying

cheers,kingy

Lol, you are a very re-assuring guy, thank you! Yes this is a good point about hunting. Problem is, munching these will make me feel like im murdering my babies!

The mix didnt seem too wet at all when i put it in, so i dont think its that. The jars do not look too wet anyways, but i guess i wouldnt know.

The syringes had visible spores floating in them and i did give them a bit of a shake, so i think they are ok. I possibly injected too much into each cake - i think it was closer to 2.5cc or maybe even 3cc, was hard to see the gauge at the angle i was working. Hopefully i havent screwed up the water balance in them.

Cheers for the help!

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8732318 - 08/06/08 04:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Give it time mate, sometimes spores take a while to germinate. The water in your jars is likely just condensation from placing them in warm water, causing a temp difference between the inside and outside.

A TiT (tub in tub) incubator is what you want, but they are actually potentially counter-productive. They can speed up colonisation, but then they can overheat the jars, reduce gas exchange and increa chances of contamination. During winter your best bet is to keep them in a heated room, or a good alternative is the cupboard above the fridge, which tends to be a few degrees warmer than elsewhere due to the fridge below it.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8732407 - 08/06/08 05:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah im not gonna bother with the incubator, more effort and risk than its worth for a noob anyways. Thanks

--------------------

Offlineillume
Alchemist
 User Gallery

#8750583 - 08/09/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

HEy, How are they coming along?
any growth? the suspense is killing me:tongue2:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: illume]
    #8750633 - 08/09/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Its been 9 days and still not much. I think 1 jar has germinated but i really cant tell yet. There is a small whitish patch on one side nearly a cm wide that looks a bit fuzzy and whiter than the rest. Gonna keep an eye on that to see if it spreads. Heres hoping!

Apart from that nothing much at all happening with these. Still waiting for some jars to arrive to start another round, but will prob only go 5 at a time, since these are for personal use i dont think ill need much more lol.

--------------------

Offlinewillowmp
Medical Psychedelic Mushrooms
Male User Gallery

#8750658 - 08/09/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

that would be the mycelium starting

--------------------
"Fuck it too much Im outta wittbhjkhbhkjsrglhkrgl g I DEE JEUD."
-Because it made sense on xanax and booze...

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: illume]
    #8750688 - 08/09/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i figured it was, just for some reason im convinced this isnt going to work for me. But it now looks like it might just be  :wink:

--------------------

Offlineillume
Alchemist
 User Gallery

#8751237 - 08/10/08 12:41 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Top stuff, definetly sounds like myc starting out.
SWIM also got his prints :tongue2:

Invisiblewisp

#8751627 - 08/10/08 03:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Damn, 9 days is a long time to wait for just seeing the first bit of growth. Not unheard of, but a painful wait nonetheless.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8755940 - 08/10/08 10:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah it has been a long wait! But 2 of the 3 jars are now showing good signs of myc growth. One of these has only germinated on one side so far, with the other showing patches on all sides.

Im going to make up another 5 jars tonight - the ones on order have finally arrived. They are much smaller than the others but measure the same, and are plastic. I have drilled 4 holes into each lid. Will innoc them tomorrow.

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8756181 - 08/10/08 11:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

Some pictures if you get a chance, please.

--------------------

OfflineStoi
BuddingTripper
Male

Loc: NZAucklandiiVille
    #8756705 - 08/11/08 02:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This is an awesome thread, im about to get my stuff together to crank out my first grow, all this advice is gonna make things so much easier, thanks to everyone :smile:

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2: BREAK FREE :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

"Someone described insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time. That's a perfect description of the war on drugs."

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Stoi]
    #8756781 - 08/11/08 03:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

And you have a syringe to start with :wink:

I might also add to this that ive now ordered empty syringes, prints, jars, agar, spawn bags & petri dishes into aus with no worries whatsoever.

Unless the cops are watching my house? *hides under bed* Im sure they have better things to do than bust some noob trying such a small grow.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8761339 - 08/12/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well here are a couple of pics of the 2 jars showing colonisation. The third jar is showing signs of something but still nothing exciting. Ill mention here that this jar was one that i only used 2 holes for and injected 1cc into each hole. From this experience ill only be using the 4 holes 1/2cc in each approach.

Pics @ 12 days:

Cant see it much, but its there and the first jar has myc around the whole middle section.

Also i have just knocked up another 5 jars but i think something went wrong in the sterilisation process i.e. water got in under the foil and inside the jars i think. There are small droplets on the inside of the jars and some residual water on the lids. I didnt know if this was good or bad so knocked them up anyway. Here are photos, i think they're too wet, i didnt see anything like this on the first lot i made... Hmmm

Are these too wet?

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8761411 - 08/12/08 03:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

GAH!

Well im doing another 5 tonight and see how they turn out... This time ill wrap a rubber band around the foil to try and keep a tighter seal. But then dont you need some air exhange while sterilising (so jars dont go pop)? Gah now ive confused myself. :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8761420 - 08/12/08 03:06 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The rubberband would probably melt at that temp.

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Krez]
    #8761424 - 08/12/08 03:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Have used rubberbands before with no worries.

--------------------

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8761445 - 08/12/08 03:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Damn didnt know that.  Well I shouldve but didnt.  You should be ok with just the foil but if you want go for it.

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: Krez]
    #8761463 - 08/12/08 03:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Thats what i thought, i used 2 layers of foil over the top.

hmm, What do you reckon of the pics? They're in the post above my last (in case you are viewing the forum in that silly one-post -at-a-time format). The condensation on the inside of the jars has me worried. Didnt get that on the others ive done, but these are plastic. Have you or anyone here had the condensation on the inside of the jars after sterilising? I dont get why it would have happened when it didnt before. Its not like rubberbands would keep it that tight anyway.

I guess either way im gonna hold onto em and see what happens so ill just do that and post when or if anything happens. I just want to know if they have gone balls up, or if they should be sweet.

--------------------

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8761473 - 08/12/08 03:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ive had it happen before.  Temp difference between the inside and outside.  Even though its more than normal you should be ok.  You may have some spots that dont colonize if.  Just keep an eye on em.  If something does go wrong you always have the choice of going outdoors.  Youll be alright!:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8761486 - 08/12/08 03:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Nice, cheers man :cool::thumbup:

Yeah they had been sitting in the pot id used to boil them, so could just be cool air above the water around the jar with warmer air still inside. If you read this entire thread, you'll realise i tend to worry about everything :lol:. I just want this first grow to be a success dang it!

--------------------

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8761488 - 08/12/08 03:35 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well that could be the prob right there...Gl luck with the grow.  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8761519 - 08/12/08 03:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

They look okay to me. inoculate them and see what happens, you have enough spores to spare, plus there's always people who'll help you out.

Rubberbands are the way to go. Pretty much single use, after the pressure cooking process they lose  their elestic nature, but they work well for that single go at least.

As for the jars exploding, they won't unless you depressurise too soon. You have can airtight seals and they'll be fine as long as you let the pressure dissipate slowly.

Edited by wisp (08/12/08 04:58 AM)

OfflineMakeshiftSplice
Fresh
Male

Loc: Midwest
    #8761537 - 08/12/08 04:08 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

plonkerism: B+ can stall in my experience. Wouldn't worry too much, looks good for the most part- though definitely too much water in the 5. Good luck; I think you'll have a lot of success.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: MakeshiftSplice]
    #8762245 - 08/12/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Get some tyvek for those plastic jars man. At least some polyfil.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8766331 - 08/13/08 02:02 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MakeshiftSplice said:
plonkerism: B+ can stall in my experience. Wouldn't worry too much, looks good for the most part- though definitely too much water in the 5. Good luck; I think you'll have a lot of success.

Cheers mate :thumbup: Yeah temps are not the best here either so im expecting a slow colonisation.

Quote:

MHbound said:
Get some tyvek for those plastic jars man. At least some polyfil.

Is it necessary? I know what your saying, but they are sitting in the glovebox and the glass jars have gaping holes in the top but still seem fine. Why would I need to do the plastic ones any differently? (considering the holes in the plastic jars are small and neat, and have a screw on lid that seals a lot better than foil with a rubber band around it)?

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/13/08 02:13 AM)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8766344 - 08/13/08 02:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Knocking up another 5 in a bit, will post pics soon. They are still cooling, been about 3 hours now so gonna wait at least another 3 before doing it. We'll see if that condensation is back. I used rubber bands this time over the first layer to try and keep water from getting in again. Also increased the distance of the jars from the water slightly using another plate wrapped in foil at the bottom of the pot. Hopefully it worked.

The droplets in the other jars have reduced, but they still look way too wet. Still dont get how that happened. Cant be the mix, ive got that pretty down pat now. Looks exactly like RR's, although i use about 10 - 20mL less water than he does as i always seem to end up with some extra water in the bottom of the mixing bowl (before adding the BRF). Oh dear, im rambling. Anyway some more exciting pics of uncolonised jars soon. :lol:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8766508 - 08/13/08 04:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well dang. The next 5 jars did exactly the same thing, and the seal looked like it kept really well (the lid was dry at least). So it must be water from the mix condensing on the inside of the jar from temp difference. The formula i used for it was 2:1:1 verm:brf:water... This is straight from RR's website which says: 480mL verm - 240mL BRF - 240mL Water is good for 5 jars. so i increased in same ratio up to 500mL, 250mL and so on to allow for a little extra left over which i always seem to need!

Anyway so jars mkII are knocked up, but still have same problem with condensation. So now i have 10 jars that look too wet. Fuck. Oh well hopefully it sorts itself out.. Otherwise im saying down with plastic jars!

Oh i also flame sterilised this time between each jar. Problem with this is it leaves black sooty residue (i only have a BIC Lighter) on the needle which rubs off onto the hole in the lid; and im guessing the verm layer at the top as well. Is this a problem? I mean, its just been red hot anyway so its sterile right?

--------------------

OfflineMakeshiftSplice
Fresh
Male

#8766541 - 08/13/08 04:57 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, maybe glass is the answer. The residue won't matter- don't worry about it.

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: MakeshiftSplice]
    #8766633 - 08/13/08 06:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i find the best way to sterilize jars (if you dont have a pressure cooker) is to use a vedgetable steamer.  Just fill the bottom saucepan with water and sit the jars in the stackable saucepon on top put the lid on and away you go. No water will ever bubble up and under the foil.

can only fit 4 half pints in there, so it takes a while to get a few jars going, but now ive got the jist of things im moving towards grain with a Pressure cooker.

cheers,kingy

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8766727 - 08/13/08 07:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i sterilise in much the same way. If you watch RR's video 'how to grow mushrooms' it shows a good way does it and i replicate that, ive even got about the same sized pot he uses. Im pretty sure now that its not water getting into the jars from the sterilising process but condensation caused by something to do with the way the plastic cools. Maybe the plastic cools too quickly while the mix inside stays warm and that causes the condensation?

Well, payday is coming up. Hopefully some glass jars will be the last thing ill have to order!

Still, these could be ok...  :waits:

Update on the colonising jars :

One of the jars is really taking off, not very thick and ropey yet but i read thats good to start with (thick growth is slow growth). The other jar hasnt dont much noticeably. I know its only been a night but it really seems to be going nicely in that one jar. :cool:

Still nothing noticeable in the 3rd. Wonder what happens with that one... :strokebeard:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/13/08 07:29 AM)

OfflineMakeshiftSplice
Fresh
Male

#8766787 - 08/13/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Have you considered trying an LC since you have so many extra syringes? (not sure if that was mentioned before, have only skimmed the whole discussion). Might make things go a bit faster.

I wouldn't give up on an incubator either- you already bought the heater right? Just put the jars in a tub and put the tub in water- that way you won't have to put the jars directly in the water.

P.S. Thanks for the rate- I'll hit ya back when I get 50 posts.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8771866 - 08/14/08 02:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah ill definately try an LC soon. Will need to revise the best LC method for cubies, got some good ones from Blut earlier in the thread so will probably use one of them.. I hear a good mix for cubies is some water with a tsp honey, then boiled (Sterilised)?

--------------------

Invisibleack
Stranger in the night

#8771980 - 08/14/08 03:55 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That's a thorough log! Good luck, and don't forget to post how your LC goes, it'll be inspiring for some of us, and we can take some pointers.

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

Re: So ive just ordered some spore prints... first time attempt at cultivating! [Re: ack]
    #8772121 - 08/14/08 05:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yea dont forget when they fruit you gotta send us all a sample lol :grin: :tongue2:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8781000 - 08/16/08 05:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Heheh, if only it was legal :wink:

Some more pics. Damn its going slowly, but expected. The jars in the picture were innoc'd on 31/07/08, so been just over 2 weeks and this is progress so far. Ill refer to them as jar 1,2 & 3 as you see them appear from left to right in the first pic. Jar 3 still has not germinated so ive removed it. Doesnt look contam'd so ill keep an eye on it.

Jars from other side:

Close up on jar 2:

Still looking healthy you think? Pics might not be the best, but in rl its very white and fuzzy, cant really see much rhizo growth but does with my limited knowledge look healthy...

I think i will give that incubator another go, just bought a bunch of tubs for next to nothing at Big W...

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8781265 - 08/16/08 07:36 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Looks healthy.:thumbup:

OfflineMakeshiftSplice
Fresh
Male

#8783591 - 08/16/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Good work. :smile:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: MakeshiftSplice]
    #8789407 - 08/18/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Just made an FC. Used a 52L Clear tub, drilled 6mm holes in all sides as per RR's Shotgun FC. Not sure if ive made enough/too many holes so ill just post pics and see what you guys think.

So it has 33 holes in each of the longer sides. 16 holes at each end. 36 on the bottom and 35 on the top. So that's 169 holes in this FC. What do you think?

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: plonkerism]
    #8789696 - 08/18/08 06:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think you have plenty of holes...Should be fine.

Some people don't use holes they just fan more often.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: MHbound]
    #8794155 - 08/19/08 04:42 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet, cheers :cool::thumbup:

Jars still taking ages grrr. Patience.

Jar 3 still hasnt done anything. So dumped it. Gonna start a dumping ground for all my failed Cube attempts and see if i get any outdoor growth :wink: Ive started by dumping that jar out onto a small patch of compost. you never know

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: plonkerism]
    #8798569 - 08/19/08 09:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

6 out of 10 of the plastic jars have germinated also. Most of the condensation from sterilising has gone, so jars are looking good. So they have germinated and are showing decent signs of growth in 7 days from innoc. Not bad!

Will post some pics when the growth is a bit more significant.

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Also this is what im storing them in. The lid closes fairly tightly so i drilled some holes on either end and taped a tyvek patch from a spawn bag over the holes. Dont know if this is necessary, but i read somewhere that stale air is bad for incubating. I dunno, so far ive had them in my glovebox and theyve been ok, but that has a far from airtight lid. Hmm, should i be worrying or it wont really matter? I disinfected the box before putting the jars in..

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/20/08 02:36 AM)

OfflineStoi
BuddingTripper
Male

#8818407 - 08/23/08 11:58 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Haha guess whos starting his first grow :laugh: :wink: Ive prepared 5 jars following the PF-tek method to the letter, however, i dont think i have anything to steralise my pots with :frown: I think im screwed :frown: Does anyone know a way to steralise jars without using a pressure cooker??

--------------------

"Someone described insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time. That's a perfect description of the war on drugs."

Edited by Stoi (08/24/08 12:07 AM)

OfflineStoi
BuddingTripper
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: Stoi]
    #8818460 - 08/24/08 12:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Lol ok, never mind, im gonna boil them instead. Wil keep everyone updated, and ill post pics when i can :smile: B+ here i come :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8818534 - 08/24/08 12:44 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

its so good to see aussies getting into this mad ass hobby ay :thumbup: get amongst it!

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: kingy]
    #8818942 - 08/24/08 05:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I concur Kingy, I concur :thumbup:

Stoi: Sent you a message with helpful info. Best to read up as much as you can before you start, but yeah the best way to learn imo is to just give it a go :wink:

Oh also going to chuck this into the grow logs section when its done, so start another thread with your grow Stoi, if you werent going to already :wink: ill be watching it :wink:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/24/08 05:19 AM)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8818982 - 08/24/08 05:51 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ok some updates..

Jars 1 & 2 (innoc'd 31/07/08) are going nicely, if not a bit slowly. Started looking very rhizomorphic in some spots. Some pics:

And here are some pics of the plastic jars colonising (innoc'd 12-13/08/08). Not all have germinated. 8 of 10 have for sure and look healthy, but 1 shows only a small white spot which looks like it could be contam, and the other shows nothing at all. Anyway here are some pics:

Close up on the best lookers :

Let me know your thoughts on how its going, and if anything looks contam'd. Cheers!! :rasta::thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8819295 - 08/24/08 08:59 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Looks good. I would watch them closely. It may be the pictures, but some of the jars kind of look a little cloudy.

--------------------

OfflineStoi
BuddingTripper
Male

#8821485 - 08/24/08 06:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Plonk youre a machine man, should start up a factory and outsoruce to China or something hahaha :P Starting my own grow log thread now. :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8822689 - 08/24/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think the cloudyness is due to the condensation evaporating and re-condensing in a finer mist. I will keep a close eye on these though, thanks for the heads up.

Haha Stoi, dont say that. Its really not a big grow, and im planning to fruit them as cakes so not expecting pounds of shrooms :lol:. I think im gonna give 1 casing a go with 4 cakes but dont have all the bits and pieces yet. Casing is so much better than cakes but yeah, all in time :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8829188 - 08/26/08 04:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If i didnt have enough on my hands i do now. Just made up 2 quarts of WBS, and 3 LC's.

I used this method for the WBS jars : http://www.shroomery.org/9031/Fool-Proof-Birdseed-Method

Looks ok to me. The WBS i have is different though. It contains Millet, Wheat, and small white/yellow seeds that are smaller than the milo seeds ive seen, Corn and Sunflower seeds. Removed all sunflower as stated in the tek and the corn. Anyway ill upload some pics in next few days so you can have a look. I also improvised with the lid as i didnt have proper lids for these jars.

I used 2 layers of foil with a hole in the middle covered with a little filter patch and micropore tape. Boiled them instead of PCing. Boiled for 2 hours instead of 90 mins. So yeah ive fucked around a bit. I dont want to waste my syringes so ill do some experimenting :wink:

LC Tek i followed was this : http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5238137

I like this tek as it is simple and seems effective. Ill let you know how that goes. Im making 3 LC's. All will be B+. 2 with Honey as the additive, the 3rd will be with golden syrup. Pics later.

Shit if all this works im not going to know what the hell to do with it. :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8834450 - 08/27/08 06:17 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

its very hard to sterilize  wbs without a PC. It has been done tho' Good luck to ya mate!  Good to see your grow is turning out ok...

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #8834494 - 08/27/08 06:46 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Id be very skeptical about steam sterilising working with grains. Endospores that are contained within grains are not all killed by steam sterilisation

For your lc 4% honey (for example 96 grams water 4 grams honey) mix it with warm water. Dont over cook it or you will end up with caramalised suger floating around in your water.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8834536 - 08/27/08 07:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I knew it would be hard to sterilise the WBS and really did it as a spur of the moment type thing as i found some birdseed in my shed. Im not too worried about them but hey maybe itll work, probably wont :lol:

For the LC's i followed said tek, but used a syringe with no needle to suck out the honey to measure it easier. Sucking up a little hot water into the syringe helps soften the honey. 2 Jars were 1 cup each and the other was a quart, and all are about 3/4 full. I shot 5-7mL of honey into each of the 1 cups, and 16-18mL into the larger. Wasnt being exact here.

So i knocked everything up today, but one of the 1 cup honey LC's has a lot of sediment in the bottom. I guess this one over cooked. So ive got a 1 cup of Golden Syrup LC and a 1 quart of Honey LC.

Injected 2mL into both the 1 cups (i knocked up the sediment jar anyway), and about 5mL into the larger. I know it doesnt need to be more than 2ml but im impatient and thought this might help?  :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8845864 - 08/29/08 03:01 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This might be a dumb question, but can i directly case cakes using the 50/50+ method?

I see in other teks using grains that people spawn that to another mix (e.g. hpoo), then case that once its colonised. Is that necessary for cakes as well? I dont see why it would be but i thought id ask... 

I was going to case 4 cakes using 50/50+, wait for that to colonise then fruit straight from there.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8845874 - 08/29/08 03:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You can crumble and case cakes, but IMO it's not worth it. You'll get one great flush and then very little afterwards. Trich also loves crumbled cakes.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: wisp]
    #8845912 - 08/29/08 03:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah a better option would be to crumble and spawn to something else with say 1 cake? That way if it does get hit by Trich it will only be 1 cake. Hmmmm  :strokebeard:

My WBS doesnt look good. Small amount of water in the bottom and it just looks like the seeds are growing :lol::lol: Next purchase will be a PC.

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/29/08 03:58 AM)

Invisiblewisp

#8845949 - 08/29/08 04:53 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, a PC is a good idea if you want to do grains.

You can spawn cakes if you want, but I've never tried personally. Grain is much easier IMO. Spawning to horse manure is a good option though. Trich doesn't grow in it easily.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8853920 - 08/30/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the advice, horse poo really does seem to be the shit! *groan* :lol:

A possible contam in one of my plastic jars. It looks like where other myc has started and caused the verm to be flat against the inside of the jar, if you get what i mean... you should see it in the pictures, but has some grey-black smudges that dont look too good. However the other spots still look good. Some pics:

Thats the spot im talking about ^^

and these are the other points showing what i understand to be healthy myc:

Ive isolated the jar anyway in case it is.

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (08/30/08 09:10 PM)

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

#8854950 - 08/31/08 01:54 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

UUU are still good to go man nothing bad happening there :cheers:

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: gethyn]
    #8854951 - 08/31/08 01:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

you should really think about glass :thumbup:

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: gethyn]
    #8855222 - 08/31/08 06:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks :cool: its only a very small spot so hopefully the myc overcomes it, if it is contam. If it is a patch of mould i could kill it come fruiting time given the rest still looks good.

Ive got some kerr half pint wide mouths which i plan to use in the future, glass of course :wink:. Took me ages to find them for a reasonable price until kingy showed me redback trading. Thanks again for that kingy!! :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8859014 - 09/01/08 03:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have 1 kilo of Calcium Enriched Coarse Shell Grit - All Natural.. Its not oyster shells, but shells of some descript...

Would these be ok to use in 50/50+ casing? Acquired the verm and peat moss, but cant for the life of me find horticultural hydrated lime, or the substitute calcium carbonate. Anyone from Aus know where i can get it? Ive tried 3 nurseries (garden shops) so far and they look at me blankly.

Am i just getting the retarded shop assistants or is there some special place i need to go? :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8859021 - 09/01/08 03:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

There's somewhere special you have to go...

Oh! Right, of course, you want to know where.:lol:

Try a feed/produce stores for calcium carbonate. Don't even begin to bother with the hydrated lime. Trust me, I've tried and it's utterly futile.

As for the oyster shells, you can use them, but only for texture. They won't act as a buffer unless they're powdered. You'll also be wanting to get some gypsum.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8859034 - 09/01/08 03:43 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

Thanks mate:thumbup:, i was thinking calcium carbonate was used more in the garden so was trying nurseries. Well that clears that up. Not a fan of the lime? I heard its hard to find a good type, one that wont burn your mycelium. Bugger it, ill just get the CC.

I already have the gypsum (woops, didnt mention that). I read your pan tropicalis thread and thought it would be useful, damn those were beautiful :thumbup:. Is the gypsum just there for texture or does it serve a more important purpose?

I see its also good to put into spawn bags with the Poo mixes.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8859073 - 09/01/08 04:24 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

No worries. If I could get horticultural hydrated lime, I would, but it's not to be found in this country.

I've been using calcium carbonate for a while now with excellent results. At one stage I bought some calcium hydroxide, which is what hydrated lime is, but it burnt the hell out of my trays. Only used it once, then scraped that casing off and recased. I wouldn't bother with it again. Calcium carbonate is much gentler and still works a treat.

The gypsum is good as it had calcium sulphate in it, which helps fungi grow. It should be used in all bulk subs at up to a 1:10 ratio.

Yeah, those Panaeolus tropicalis' sure are nice. They take a little more care than cubes need but are still easy. They're just less contam resistant. I'll send you a print if you'd like.;)

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8859164 - 09/01/08 06:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

calcium carbonate and calcium sulphate is also available from most home brew shops as well. (thats my other hobby) When brewing from grain these are added to adjust the water profile to enhance or decrease hop flavours etc.

Invisiblewisp

#8859214 - 09/01/08 07:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Oh yeah? How's the prices from brew shops? They're usually pretty expensive, although I've only ever bought malt extract and dextrose from them.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8864212 - 09/02/08 02:58 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice there is a home brew place close to me. I wouldnt have a clue where the nearest feed/produve outlet is. Thanks

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8864221 - 09/02/08 03:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure where about you are in Sydney, but there's a produce store in Carlingford and another in Paramatta. The yellow pages will help out.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8864240 - 09/02/08 03:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah i used truelocal to find home brew shops then had the bright idea to look for feed stores as well :lol: There is a home brew store in Asquith which is about the same distance from me as the feed store in Carlo... So ill see which area i end up in first :smile:

Update on my jars:

Jar 1 and 2 are at 90% and about 60% respectively. In jar 1 the whole thing is colonised except for a 1cm band around the bottom - which is slowly filling in.

Ive been preparing my FC this week too. 10L of rinsed perlite (about 3.5 inches in the bottom) that gave me around 75% humidity. Poo! So i added another 7L or so and its up to 5.5inches. Its been in there for about 2 hours now and humidity has actually gone down to 70%. I rinsed the perlite for ages to make sure it was uniformly soaked and drained it for a couple of minutes before putting it in. rH is 40% all through my house. I know for a shotgun FC its best for 50% but im not going out and buying a humidifier to get it up 10 measely %... :mad:

Is it just going to take a while for the humidity to rise or should i start plugging up holes?

edit: i cunt spill 4 sit

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/02/08 03:24 AM)

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8864253 - 09/02/08 03:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
Oh yeah? How's the prices from brew shops? They're usually pretty expensive, although I've only ever bought malt extract and dextrose from them.

GRAIN AND GRAPE
  is the cheapest i found from my favorite online brew shops.
Im not sure how much you guys need to use but they sell kilo bags of calcium sulphate $10,chloride $10 and carbonate $20

im still yet to bust out my new Pressure cooker for her maiden voyage lol.

Hope that helps
cheers

Invisiblewisp

#8864264 - 09/02/08 03:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

plonkerism: the brew show in Asquith is the precise store I was referring to when saying they're expensive.:lol:
There's another one in Thornleigh if that's closer to you.

kingy: those prices are way too high, probably because they're food grade ingredients. I paid $8.50 for 25kg of calcium carbonate at a produce store.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8864279 - 09/02/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey what do you know, Thornleigh just so happens to be :wink:

Thanks again to you guys for all this info(tripsis & kingy, but not forgetting the others :wink:). I cant say how much this has helped.

Mad props all round!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8864428 - 09/02/08 05:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry im reposting this bit about probs with humidity it was last post on last page so people might miss it, and its a problem that is giving me the shits!:mad:

Quote:

Ive been preparing my FC this week too. 10L of rinsed perlite (about 3.5 inches in the bottom) that gave me around 75% humidity. Poo! So i added another 7L or so and its up to 5.5inches. Its been in there for about 2 hours now and humidity has actually gone down to 70%. I rinsed the perlite for ages to make sure it was uniformly soaked and drained it for a couple of minutes before putting it in. rH is 40% all through my house. I know for a shotgun FC its best for 50% but im not going out and buying a humidifier to get it up 10 measely %... :mad:

Is it just going to take a while for the humidity to rise or should i start plugging up holes?

its been a couple more hours now and gave it a shake to try and loose any excess water that could have been trapped in there, but i did strain it pretty well.. And still no change, hovering just over 70%...

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8864435 - 09/02/08 05:59 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Mist the sides of the FC too. Don't plug up holes, you'll reduce FAE if you do that. A humidifier will help enormously.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8869836 - 09/03/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So ive discovered i actually already own a humidifier. Booyah! :cool:

Problem is the thing looks like it is from the 1970's. Only has one control, and that is the on/off switch at the power point. So actually no controls. I remember using this thing when i was all stuffy as a kid and caused so much humidity in my room that it would drip down the walls. Hopefully it doesnt completely saturate the air. Im going to put this into a bathroom under a skylight in a shower cubicle, next to my FC. Since the bathroom is all white and tiled i thought this would be good for scattering the light around. There is also a small window which lets in light. I hope this is good enough because i dont think ill have anywhere else to put it where i can run the humidifier 24/7. I guess ill find out.

I checked the FC this morning and it was at 80%, and is exactly the same when i got home from work. :grrr:

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8869933 - 09/03/08 03:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

you need to either tape some holes up or add more perlite. If the ambient humidity is over 50% you can guarentee the FC will be over 90% if set up correctly.

Ive also noticed that the humidity raises more when the cakes are in bcoz of the moisture the cakes have before and during they evaporate.

Also make sure the FC is elevated of the floor. As the air needs to be drawn in from underneath the FC and through the wet perlite for it to be efficient.

I usually stand my FC on 4 glasses (one on each corner)

All this is only any use to you if your using the shot gun method.

Ive had cakes fruit at 86% humidity and 16 degrees

I love that method as i need only fan of a morning and night and all is sweet.

edit:didnt see previous posts, Looks like you might need a humidifier then lol. Geez 40% is fairly low my house is on 62% now and the lowest has been around 50%. 

Sound like old Tim Baily with all this weather shit ay haha.

Edited by kingy (09/03/08 03:20 AM)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8869978 - 09/03/08 03:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:lol: Drips and drops across roof tops!! That guy is one elton john looking dude..

Here is whats going on at the moment, with some pics.. I have the FC raised using a stack of 6 CD cases, so about 2 inches. Humidifier is going next to it. Maybe the hygrometre is buggered. Might get another one from another brand for a control or something. I am using a shotgun FC, lots of holes. I found changing the lid to one without holes boosts humidity a little but didnt want to sacrifice FAE so ive left the holy (:lol:) one on there. Heres some photos of what it looks like..

Here's the ancient humidifier:

This is it 'humidifying':

And ive left it next to the FC so its shooting out steam parallel to the side of the FC:

I cleaned the shower thing down with bleach and alcohol before putting it in there. I know its probably not needed but that shower had been unused for years and there was probably mould growing somewhere..

Only been a couple of hours but so far no change :frown:...

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/03/08 03:37 AM)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8870010 - 09/03/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Also just realised someone has changed the name of this thread. Cool? Unless i did when i was reaalllly stoned. But meh. This one is good :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

Re: Bet it was you. [Re: plonkerism]
    #8870013 - 09/03/08 03:53 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:yesnod:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: Bet it was you. [Re: wisp]
    #8870210 - 09/03/08 06:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:lol: Most likely..

Ok so i misted the FC and have left it with the humidifier. The humidity inside the FC has gone down to 70%... What the fuck? :confused:

This is really starting to confuse me...

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8870216 - 09/03/08 06:07 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Those humidifiers don't do as good of a job as you think. It takes practice with them to get up the humidity, and keep it that way.

If you can use 4-5 inches of perlite. Your humidity will go to 100% in no time.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8870217 - 09/03/08 06:07 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Most hygrometers are pretty inaccurate. Have you calibrated it? I don't bother with one myself.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: Bet it was you. [Re: wisp]
    #8870229 - 09/03/08 06:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
Those humidifiers don't do as good of a job as you think. It takes practice with them to get up the humidity, and keep it that way.

If you can use 4-5 inches of perlite. Your humidity will go to 100% in no time.

I have 5.5 inches of perlite in there now. i thought maybe the room humidity was off so by adding a humidifier it might help but seems it doesnt..

Quote:

Most hygrometers are pretty inaccurate. Have you calibrated it? I don't bother with one myself.

Not sure how i go about calibrating it.. Its a simple thing with 2 analog dials showing temp and humidity, no visible swithches/controls for it.. :confused:

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8870237 - 09/03/08 06:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Take the tip, and wrap it in damp paper towels...You can usually do it this way. Be sure to put it in a ziplock back though.

I like this way...

http://cigars.about.com/od/humidors/qt/hygrometers.htm

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: Bet it was you. [Re: MHbound]
    #8870268 - 09/03/08 06:35 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The tip of the hygrometre? or wrap the hygrometre in paper towels? Sorry i dont get it.

Im using the salt method on that page. Will check it tomorrow morning. The other hygrometres we have in the house all said 40% though like this one did.. I think ill just have to plug holes...

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/03/08 06:46 AM)

Invisiblewisp

#8870323 - 09/03/08 07:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Wrap the entire hygrometer. If it's not calibratable, it's not going to be very good.

As kingy said, once you have cakes/bulk sub trays in there, humidity will increase due to repsiration. Plugging whole is not the way to go.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8875179 - 09/04/08 02:10 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If i wrap it am i looking for 100%?

Ive just ordered a digital temp/hygrometer. Hopefully that is better than this thing. I did the salt test and nothing much happened.. I adjusted it to 75% after leaving it in the bag overnight, and left it to sit near the other hygrometers. It still says 70% now 9 hours later and the others say 40% and 55%... This thing is useless.

This is what i ordered :

Its a basic thing, but has memory so i can see min/max (i think)... Heres some more info..

http://www.igadget.com.au/catalog/jumbo-display-digital-thermometerhygrometer-with-memory-p-765.html

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8875187 - 09/04/08 02:13 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hah! I got my humidifier from igadget! :lol:

Yes, you're looking for 100%.

Digital hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8875208 - 09/04/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Digital hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

I heard that, but I figured it will at least help to see whats going on..  There is a  wine makers temp/hygro that is analog for $30, i might just buy that as well.  The Digital Unit was $50. It states a +/-5% error margin, and i can deal with that as long as it doesnt actually mean 50% margin of error :lol: Fuck $80 just to see if my FC is keeping humidity up :grrr:...

Seems like a decent store with lots of cool stuff. And its in Melbourne so hope to see it here on monday, with any luck..

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8875225 - 09/04/08 02:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, they do seem pretty good and took my indecision while tripping on the phone pretty well.:rofl:

I tell you, a hygrometer isn't necessary. Just mist often and fan often. Make sure the perlite is always damp and keep the walls of the FC wet.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8875243 - 09/04/08 02:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ok im trying this wrap in paper towels method now. Id expect it would go pretty quickly to 100%, but how long should i leave it?

Here is a pic of the analog Hyrgrometre im talking about...

and what little info it has about it: http://www.everten.com.au/product/cantina-thermometer-hygrometer.html

Edit:new reply

Im starting to think that too (not needed). I mean its pretty damn humid in that area now, i can feel it when i walk into the room. I think it will be ok, but i like to be sure so ill go ahead with this digital, but not the analog one. Costs are starting to build up :lol:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/04/08 02:36 AM)

Invisiblewisp

#8875268 - 09/04/08 02:46 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Leave the towel overnight. I think that method is pretty faulty though, as cheap hygrometers have a tendency to read 100% even when it is far lower.

Yeah, save your money. You'll need to spend it on something else. The costs are never ending...it's like having bloody kids. Always demamding your attention, burning holes in your pockets...:lol:

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8875308 - 09/04/08 03:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah, save your money. You'll need to spend it on something else. The costs are never ending...it's like having bloody kids. Always demamding your attention, burning holes in your pockets...:lol:

:lol: It really is getting that way! Oh well, i have a feeling it will all be worth it :wink:

The analog one i have was $30 from a pet store. Zoo Med is the brand. Anyway Ive hijacked one of the hygrometers in my house and put it in the FC. Its a digital one with a clock, in/out humidity with temp and pressure etc. I think because its so many things, it may be fairly innacurate. But still curious to see how it reads after a while in the FC..

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8875357 - 09/04/08 04:22 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ok some photos of my only successful-looking LC and the jars at various points in colonisation.

The LC. This is the quart jar with honey. Knocked up on 26/08/08 - been 9 days. Lots of clumps of white fluff balls. I guess thats the myc. The honey water has become a lot paler than when i started, it started as a deep honey colour.. Not completely clear though so might be some bacteria in there.

Here is the LC from a couple of angles. There are other bits in there too. Probably not good.. Looks like bits of caramelised suger maybe?

This is jar 1 @ approx 90% - innoc'd 31/07/08 - been 35 days (i know, its ages..). Notice blueing in some spots. im pretty certain its not trich, but bruising from moving them too much..Everything is still looking healthy but it has shrunk back from the glass in the middle. |)(| < looks like that if you know what i mean. Should i worry or will they be fine? :

This is jar 2 @ approx 60%, this is the one with really nice rhizo growth but is taking longer. It stalled for ages to begin with and only 2/4 points germinated. Also has a small patch of blue bruising...

And the other 10 plastic in various stages of colonisation ... These were innoc'd 12-13/08/08 - been about 23days so far and some are over 60%! Much faster than the glass, and higher germination rate. Only 3 of the 10 didnt completely germinate and of those 3, at least 2 points germinated. So hate to say it but im liking the plastic..

No contam's yet. Woohoo! :headbang:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/04/08 04:45 AM)

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8877043 - 09/04/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Use the method from that link I posted...

It is much more accurate than the paper towels. BUT the paper towels will give you the basic idea.

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8877877 - 09/04/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

you will notice the jars speeding up colonizing as the temp warms up. I was expecting 2 weeks before my jars would be ready but with the warmer days last week they were ready in a week and are just about to come out of there overnight bath.
I keep my jars in a draw that sits near a sunny window so it warms up a few degrees more during the day but its out of sunlight.
Looks like you got some good ropey growth happning there as well. Wont be long now.
I also get  a coupla tiny blue spots from time to time which are only bruises.
cheers,

p.s cant wait till the october long weekend, planning on another super dooper dose lol.

Tim Baily "see you again,in around about 10"

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8880517 - 09/05/08 02:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Use the method from that link I posted...

It is much more accurate than the paper towels. BUT the paper towels will give you the basic idea.

I did that one the night before. It said 68% the next morning, i adjusted it to 75% but when i left it out the humidity stayed at 70% when it surely wasnt 70% indoors. Maybe i didnt give it enough time to go down to rH of the house, but i just dont trust this thing. I moved the dial and now its all out of whack.. I also did the paper towel method last night. It went up to well over 100%, so i adjusted it to say 100% but yeah as i said, i dont trust it.

I used a digital hygrometre with the whole caboodle (pressure, in/out humidity and in/out temp etc) and that reads 98% humidity in the FC after leaving it for almost 24hrs. I sat it on a plate so the wet perlite didnt effect it and in the very centre of the FC to avoid touching the wet walls... Also did not use the humidifier to get this reading, went up to 98% all by itself. The final test will be once i get the new one i ordered. See what that says and compare it.

Quote:

you will notice the jars speeding up colonizing as the temp warms up. I was expecting 2 weeks before my jars would be ready but with the warmer days last week they were ready in a week and are just about to come out of there overnight bath.
I keep my jars in a draw that sits near a sunny window so it warms up a few degrees more during the day but its out of sunlight.
Looks like you got some good ropey growth happning there as well. Wont be long now.
I also get  a coupla tiny blue spots from time to time which are only bruises.
cheers,

Yeah its only been spring for 5 days now and it already the growth is accelerating noticeably. Jar 1 will probably be ready to dunk on Tuesday i think. Almost completely covered, then gonna leave it for 3-4 days, once it is, before dunking. I know its good to leave it for about a week after you see 100% colonisation so the inside completely fills in... Do you do this Kingy or fruit them straight away?

Oh yes, this october is going to get religious :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8880828 - 09/05/08 06:07 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well then...If you did it exactly it should have been 100% no questions.

That means 75% is your new 100%...So just use it. So if it says 65 percent thats really 90 percent on your new scale.

You can make it work, but if you ever get a little money that you don't need or can spare get a good hygrometer. Not likely these days I'm spending too much money just trying to feed myself, but one day you can hopefully get one. Good luck.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8885223 - 09/06/08 02:39 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well it now says 90% constantly in the FC so ive taken it out and left it next to the other one to see what happens.

I just built a TiT as well, mainly out of boredom and having what i needed around the house. Ill upload a pic sometime soon. Not gonna use it this time round but in future it will be handy to have. It was convenient though to find a set of tubs that all fit into each other, one was 52L the other 31L and the smallest 20L...

the 52 and 31 work perfectly for a TiT. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8885472 - 09/06/08 06:39 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I made some modifications to my FC to allow for more space, well height.. Got another tub (one of the ones that came already snug inside it, so its exactly the same size at the lid), drilled some holes in it, and cable tied it to the top of the FC. Only tied it down on one side so i can get easy access to the chamber to mist it etc. Its actually a lot more convenient than before and the tub sits pretty much flush on top of the other so no big gaps. Some pics of my shotgun 'mk2' :lol:

^^ as you can see very small gap, about 1mm.

I think its nice anyways :wink:

And my TiT, copied Steve's idea of putting some dye into the water so its easier to see the level. Also added a couple of small shots of some bleach gel stuff to help keep the water clean.. Ive got a digital thermometre probe thing hanging in there now as well as a mercury thermometre which i made a hole for at the top so it slides in and out snugly. Its at 24C and climbing. I set the heater for 29C thinking that it probably wont get to that inside the tub, but i can always adjust if it gets too warm. I like it, its nice, compact and neat. And strong enough so my cat can sleep on top of it :lol:.. Ive got 2 towels over it so that should keep it safe from cat fur at least...

--------------------

OfflineSteve
Stranger

Loc: AUS
    #8885544 - 09/06/08 07:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I set the fish heater to 26 C and the thermometer in the top of the inner tub reads 26 C exactly! Not bad for a $20, 5 year old heater!!

Plonkerism-The ideal/highest temp for mycelium (before the growth rate slows) is 86 F (30 C). Inside the jars is a few degrees higher than the air. . So you may be just a touch too warm.

http://www.shroomery.org/faq/images/tempchart.gif
http://www.shroomery.org/5159/What-is-too-hot-for-incubation-and-what-happens-to-the-jars

Edited by Steve (09/06/08 07:29 AM)

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: Steve]
    #8885572 - 09/06/08 07:39 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

86 is a little higher than ideal. 81 is the magic number imho. but now im splitting hairs i suppose.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: themange]
    #8888455 - 09/06/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well left the TiT overnight and it maxed out at 79.5F so i think its safe? The mercury said it only got up to about 25C so should be all good right?

I shot up some jars that didnt germinate from a MS syringe after 2 weeks, with the LC i made. 12 hours after injecting all 6 jars are showing growth. LC's really kick ass. But now ive got about 5 LC syringes that ive got stored in the fridge and i cant see any being used soon... how long can i store them like this?

The rest of my LC is also now in the fridge.

--------------------

OfflineSteve
Stranger

#8888964 - 09/06/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I would think LC in a syringe would last as long as LC in a jar. Just put the syringe in a plastic sandwich bag and maybe wrap up so its out of the light.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8889578 - 09/07/08 02:32 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah figured they would. read that RR has used an LC syringe 4 years after making it and it was fine!! I dont think ill need to use it but im glad it succeeded at least.. Its astonishing how well it works!

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8889730 - 09/07/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah its only been spring for 5 days now and it already the growth is accelerating noticeably. Jar 1 will probably be ready to dunk on Tuesday i think. Almost completely covered, then gonna leave it for 3-4 days, once it is, before dunking. I know its good to leave it for about a week after you see 100% colonisation so the inside completely fills in... Do you do this Kingy or fruit them straight away?

Oh yes, this october is going to get religious :wink:

actually a few of my jars take a little longer than the others so i wait untill the slower jars are 100% then dunk all of them together. That means that the faster colognizing jars have been at 100% for between 1 and 2 weeks. And the slowest jar 1-2 days past 100%.  Its just more convenient for me to do them all at once. That way i can refill the jars all at once as well.

The cakes fruit at different times in the FC but thats not really a problem.

The cakes that have been 100% colonized for nearly 2 weeks fruit almost straight away. While the cakes that have only just finished colonizing will take about 10 days.

Keeping in mind all these observations are with me working at the lower ambient temperatures without heating the FC room. And these times will speed up as the weather warms up.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8889986 - 09/07/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

No one going to mention that the oven tek is bogus? (sory if some one did and i missed it)

The oven tek is nothing like laminar flow.So how does the oven tek work? warm air keeps contaminants in the air and not landing on your work area.     

whats actually happening, when you heat air it rises. as it rises it will cool. the cool air now sinks and is heated agin and the process repeats. so what your acutally doing is creatig currents, moving the contamns around.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re: PF Tek underway- Just made FC- first attempt at cultivation [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8894645 - 09/08/08 02:55 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah i read that somewhere before i tried it and decided it was a shit tek.. I built a glovebox which i used once. Now i just use a tub turned upside down with a gap over the edge of the bench, to create a 'still-air' box. I spray it out with Glen 20 and wipe all working surfaces with alcohol as well as spraying the air liberally.. Ive knocked up over 20 jars this way and had no contams. Also knocked up an LC this way, and made LC syringes with no problems yet.. Actually come to think of it i do everything from making MS syringes to injecting jars this way.. Maybe ive been lucky but it really doesnt seem that hard to keep things clean if you plan what you are doing beforehand..

Here are some pics of the LC jars i knocked up. Already looking decent and its been less than 2 days..

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8894965 - 09/08/08 06:20 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yea i dunno what it is, but i just knock my jars up in the spare bedroom in the open air on the computer desk. I wear gloves, but i have no face mask. I just wipe everything down with good old metho and flame sterilize with an upside down shot glass with metho in it on fire.
Then re wipe with paper towel soaked metho.
I used to be really anal about sterilization then i experimented and slowly cut different corners to make the process easier and havent had a bad jar yet.

When i christen my PC ill probably be super sterile again and use the old glovebox when knocking the jars up but more than likely i'll return to my old easy habits lol....Thats untill i get an infected jar

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8921559 - 09/13/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ive dunked 2 cakes today that have been ready for a couple of days.. Was waiting for the larger glass ones to finish but they are taking longer to get that bottom area colonised. I will pretty much dunk them as soon as they are 100% as the rest has been extremely solidly colonised for ages and looks ready to go..

Just used tap water to rinse the dry verm layer off and give the cakes a wash then place them into a pot of tap water. I weighed them down with a plate..

The new hygrometre in my FC says 97%-98% rH costantly so that should be ok i think.. Only thing is i dont have a way of keeping the FC up to 74F but as Kingy mentions, i dont think i will matter...

Heres a funny video.. Fun to laugh at Kiwi accents :wink:.. Sorry if this is old i only just saw it :lol:

You dont understand i might look bug, but i cant chew brew, i only have plank-ton...  :lol::lol:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8927302 - 09/14/08 05:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

LC jars after 8 days:

All are @ 95% or more. Just patches at the bottom that arent colonised yet. 8 days! I recommend LC's to anyone who is impatient.

Pics of my cakes in the FC. I rolled one in verm and the other in a 50/50 mix verm/peat moss.. I was just experimenting, i read that 50/50 is ok... But i didnt pastuerise or sterilise it so hopefully that doesnt cause problems.. Had some trouble getting the verm to stay on the cake..

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/14/08 05:11 AM)

Invisiblewisp

#8927314 - 09/14/08 05:14 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yep, it's always difficult to get the verm to stick to the cakes. Only roll the once, not on any subsequent flushes.

Unpasteurised peat may cause you problems with trich.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8927697 - 09/14/08 08:20 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Your verm looks really large, try using finer verm, its sticks to the cakes easier. if u cant get fine verm, stick it breifly in the blender.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8931642 - 09/15/08 02:00 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Only roll the once, not on any subsequent flushes.

:thumbup: Thanks for that i thought i would need to roll again.

Quote:

Your verm looks really large, try using finer verm, its sticks to the cakes easier. if u cant get fine verm, stick it breifly in the blender.

All the stores i go to that sell verm only have it in bags marked 'vermiculite'.. No actual grades, but that blender tip will be fine, ill do that. Thanks :wink::rockon:

Its usually finer in the bottom of the bag so maybe ill use that..

Dunked 2 more cakes today. Jars 1 & 2. Jar 1 has been done for a couple of days now and jars 2 has just finished so ive dunked them both.. Those have been colonising for 46 days!!! So chunky you can carve 'em :lol:

All my LC jars are @ 100% in 9 days. Wicked! Still have another 8 plastic jars to finish colonising.

The 50/50 jar is showing fuzzy white growth in all the spots showing myc. Looks nice and healthy, no sign of any contams but its early days.. The Verm jar is doing the same thing but to a lesser extent..

Have been fanning& misting 1 time before work, and another 3-4 times from when i get home to when i go to bed. FC has plenty of holes so that should be enough FAE right?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8931802 - 09/15/08 03:33 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You can get fine grade vermiculite in 100L bags for around $35 from hydroponic stores.;)

The reason you only roll once is because rolling again creates a perfect environment for contaminants to live in. When you roll the first time, the cake is clean, but once is has been in the FC for a flush, it will have mould spores and bacteria all over it. The fresh air prevents them from taking off, but putting a layer of wet vermiculite over them gives them a chance to take hold.

Remember to do a test run on only a single jar to ascertain whether the LC is clean or not.

That should be enough FAE with cubes. The more the merrier though, providing you can keep up RH at the same time.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8931834 - 09/15/08 03:54 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ok i need to go to a Hydro store because that is ridiculously cheap. Or nurseries are ridiculously expensive. :strokebeard:

Ah i see, ill only roll it the once then. :cool::thumbup: 

Im pretty sure the LC is good but ill do a test run first so i dont fill my FC with mould possibly :lol:. The reason im confident is they look exactly the same as the others and all have strong rhizo growth in parts of them - look at that last pic of the LC jars. Thats the most rhizomorphic ive seen so far!! :crazy2:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/15/08 03:56 AM)

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8931971 - 09/15/08 06:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

if you where looking to use finer vermiculite id probably only use that grade when rolling the cakes. And go with medium grade for making the cakes as you need the cakes to be airated and  dont want them to be to compacted or theyll take longer to colonoze.
I personally just use medium grade all the time its just easier.
I just have to pat the dry vermiculite very softly to get it on over the patchy areas.
cheers,kingy'
p.s the ambient humidity up here has been wierd over the last few days. Went from 64 to 99 then to 36 in 3 days lol wierd.  Lucky the FC knows how to cope...

Are you guys using organic Brown rice flour or brown rice flour?

OfflineSteve
Stranger

#8931977 - 09/15/08 06:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

When I made my cakes I used the brown rice that was sitting in the cupboard. All of the brown rice I looked at in the supermarket had Rice listed as the only ingredient.
Havent had any problems so far (Myc has had reasonable growth)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8937461 - 09/16/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Solved the grade problem by using a sifter :wink: Coated my cakes a lot better than the coarser stuff thats for sure :thumbup:

Im a bit worried about one of the cakes i rolled this afternoon though. In an earlier post.. let me go get it...
there that sucker^^^, i mentioned a small blue patch that i put down to bruising. Well after dunking the cake for 24hrs that blue spot went from barely noticeable to very very dark blue, almost black.. Plus the top half of the cake that had been colonised for much longer (now the bottom half, flipped to fruit) has gone very blue. :confused: I noticed on my other cakes it took a day or so for bruising to disappear, so hopefully that is the case with this.. Anyway, the cake looks fairly healthy otherwise.. Rhizo growth through it etc. STINKS of mushrooms. Lots of myc piss, but it was in the jar for 46 days :shrug:

Im worried its a patch of trich but it looked wayyy to blue.. If i can get a shot i will but its already rolled and sitting in the FC.

@Kingy: I just buy brown rice flour, but i make sure it says natural somewhere on the pack. Used to go the organic but its a couple of dollars more and one day they didnt have it, so i switched to the other stuff and it works just as well imo.

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8937488 - 09/16/08 02:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Gotta say.. I was tempted to take a bite out of one of these they were so blue and so yummy smelling :lol:

Patience young warrior :strokebeard:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8937517 - 09/16/08 03:09 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You're having a good yarn to yourself, aren't you? :lol:

As for that patch, just wait and see I guess. If it's blue, it's bruising, but I'm not sure what would have caused it.

By the way, those prints are on their way.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8937601 - 09/16/08 04:11 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah i do that sometimes :lol:

Yeah wait and see is probably going to become my motto.

They certainly smelt reeaaalll muchroomy when i pulled them out, but i gave them another smell just then after rolling and now they smell.. well weird.. I guess its the verm and once the outside starts to colonise a bit it will go back to smelling mushroomy.. I noticed the same sort of thing on the other cake i rolled in 50/50, but that has since returned to normal mushroom smell..

Ill try and get a pic

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8937639 - 09/16/08 04:49 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

OK first off. The jar i rolled in verm the previous night. Just shows the texture on that one compared to the other one ill show you. Now i look at the photos on a big screen i think the other jar is contaminated :frown:. Still is mainly blue though. I have no idea. Also in the first photos there is a round bump forming that i tried to take a photo of and failed.. Anyway you can see it in the blur :lol:

Now the suspect cake... took lots of pics...

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/16/08 04:50 AM)

OfflineSteve
Stranger

#8937689 - 09/16/08 05:15 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The cakes that I crumbled which were contaminated looked a little bit like those photos. I could see one or two really dark patches below the mycelium surface.
After crumbling it was more obviuos. After 24 hours it was undeniable. If you are going to throw it out maybe try crumbling and then incubating it to see what happens. Or it may be safer to just throw it out so you don't contaminate other jars.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8937773 - 09/16/08 05:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm well i just used a sterile razor blade to cut a small .5-.75cm deep cube out of the darkest/dodgiest looking place. The piece stayed fairly firm like a slightly smushed mushroom stipe, and smelt strongly of mushrooms despite the whole cake smelling kinda funny atm but as i said ive only just rolled it..

If it is mould ive probably just inhaled 10 billion spores :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8937820 - 09/16/08 06:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You do that everyday anyway.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8941687 - 09/16/08 10:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well cakes look the same today. The dark spots are a little paler (apart from the hole i cut in it which is still dark as hell). Probably cutting it didnt help :lol:.. I was going to case them but i dont really have a way to pastuerise the spawn bags, as i dont have a sealer... or PC. I took them out and gave each one a good wiff, and they all smell mushroomy..

I rubbed an area with a cotton bud and the tip did get some blue stainage on it... Argh! Does that mean its Trich?? :confused:

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8941921 - 09/16/08 11:45 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well i crumbled and cased the cake. I feel like i murdered it :frown:

When i split it you could see the blue only went in about 1cm and the rest was a solid white. Was the weirdest texture, like solidified playdoh or something :lol:... Smelt like i was smushing up mushrooms.. Really strongly. It was painful!

So i just did a 50/50 casing with 1 cake, inspired by Tripsis' 'mini-grow' :wink:. It will look really cool if it works. So i put .5" layer of wet verm in the bottom. Made a layer of substrate with the cake about 1 inch thick, with large chunks. I tried to fill in all the gaps with smaller ones so it was a fairly solid layer. Then sprinkled 50/50 (unsterilised, hasnt caused problems with my other cake.. iknow its bad but if i see contam ill just get rid of it straight away) about a .5" layer over the top of that. It was also both verm and peat straight from a new bag.

Other 2 cakes are both white and healthy.. No bruising or signs of contam. Looks like humidity might be a little too high as im geting little white lumps/spikes out of the cake. Looks like pics ive seen when humidity has been to high, so ive stopped misting for the time being. The humidity has stayed at 99% constantly however could be dodgy hygro reading.

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8942150 - 09/17/08 12:38 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

all my cakes get little white bumps and spikes,thats when i know its about to fruit (usually 2-3 days later) my cakes took 10 days to start fruiting at ambient temperarture of 8-22degrees most of the time they sat on 16-18 degrees during the day except for the few warmish days we had.

Im going to wack this batch in size "000"  capsules and see how they go. Appearently can fit 1gram in each cap.

Mainly so my cousins girlfriend can get on them as she cant even eat fruit shop mushrooms lol. So the caps should help her out....

I was buying brown rice flour from the local shop,but found an online supplier who does 3kg for $28 and its organic and gluten free.
But if you guys arnt using organic and getting good results ill try that next time, cheers

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8947436 - 09/18/08 12:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet then just waiting to see some pins :wink: Noice!

Yeah both the BRF's ive used have looked basically the same, like even the same packaging. One just said organic BRF the other BRF :shrug:

Ive got the casing sitting in the FC with some foil over it to let it colonise a bit before i let the light in. Some holes for gas exchange... We'll see if it works :smile:

Now the other cake i birthed the other day has bruised up a bit too. Probably because of all the fucking around ive been doing plus i was misting it and the other dodgy looking one directly to try and get moisture up. Ive rubbed the blue spots with a qtip and nothing comes off. Im not sure what else to do.. Should i try dunking again or just leave it for a while?

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8947512 - 09/18/08 12:49 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

if you pick it up with your fingertips you can usually feel if there waterlogged or not. Id probably leave it alone,even if it only produces a small amount of mushrooms. You can then dunk after that initial first flush and restore the moisture and get ready for a decent 2nd flush. At least the pinning has already been triggered.
My experience is it doesnt matter how many each flush produces as it will produce the same amount overall as the nutrients are used up.
Most of my cakes bruise blue especially after handling them while dunking.
Especially my first batch as i was always lifting them out to check for pins lol.
Now i just mist and fan and wait. No handling.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re:first attempt at cultivating... Jars completed, Fruiting time!!! maybe a contam'd jar??.. Pics.. [Re: kingy]
    #8947985 - 09/18/08 04:39 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah ive been trying not to handle them at all - only have touched the 2nd two cakes i dunked, which are in the photos above.

Another 4 dunked today - the LC jars. Was going to go a test run with just one, but i want them to fruit at relatively the same time so i just did 4 of 6 (cant fit the other 2 in). They have been at 100% for 3days or so. Each one smelt nice and mushroomy before and after dunking..

So thats 7 cakes and a small casing sitting in the FC. That is all the room i have in that FC! And i have another 16 cakes to go; 6 B+ are @ 100%! I did get a bit carried away :wink: Another 6 of those jars are Hawaiian, but they are a couple of weeks off id say. Looks like ill need another FC. :eek:

Also having issues trying to prepare another LC. Im getting caramelised sugar in it every time no matter how low i put the heat, or how quickly i boil :frown:. I dont know how i got it to work last time, im doing everything the same way. Is it ok to go ahead anyway or should i try and filter out the sediment somehow? The sediment would be sterile anyway wouldnt it? so it wouldnt matter if it mixed with myc growth later on?

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/18/08 05:16 AM)

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re:first attempt at cultivating... Jars completed, Fruiting time!!! maybe a contam'd jar??.. Pics.. [Re: plonkerism]
    #8950727 - 09/18/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Meh, i went ahead anyway. Its only 4mL or so of a syringe :shrug:

The casing is showing signs of life! A few strands of growth are coming up.. Not many though, yet:crazy2:.

Jar 2, that went in with Jar 1 which is now the casing, is getting growth all over it now with little knots forming.

The first 2 jars are still going well.

Here is some pics of the FC and cakes...

--------------------

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

Re:first attempt at cultivating... Jars completed, Fruiting time!!! maybe a contam'd jar??.. Pics.. [Re: plonkerism]
    #8966115 - 09/21/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Some pics of whats cracking in my FC at the moment :smile:. Been almost 12days and no pins. Getting lots of outward growth though like little strands and bulges in some places. Today i noticed some little white dots on the 50/50 cakes that look a little different to the other growth ive seen so far. All thoughts are very welcome, i hope im not doing anything wrong. Im fanning and misting at least 4 times a day (probably closer to 8 times :lol:), and trying to get as much light as possible. Im a little worried that they maybe werent getting enough so ive started leaving the incandescent globe on that is directly above the FC (about 2 metres away tho).

No pins! :crazy2:

Just a few more days or what do you guys reckon?

--------------------

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8966186 - 09/21/08 11:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

they look like there just about to burst, 3-4 days at the most and youll see pins i reckon and youll be trippin on the long weekend :mushroom2:

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

Re:first attempt at cultivating... Jars completed, Fruiting time!!! maybe a contam'd jar??.. Pics.. [Re: kingy]
    #8966262 - 09/22/08 12:12 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

heres a few pics of mine the ones fruiting are there first flush and the other ones have been dunked and waiting for the second flush..

OfflineSteve
Stranger

#8966507 - 09/22/08 01:20 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Kingy-I think I remember reading that it isn't a good idea to dunk cakes more than once as its quite easy for them to get contaminated.

Invisibleplonkerism
Male

#8966512 - 09/22/08 01:22 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Steve - You dunk after each flush, but you only roll the once. Its on the last page of this thread.

Kingy - :shocked: Wow very nice! If mine look remotely like that i will be cheering :rockon:

Dang this impatience!

Thank you for those pics Kingy :wink:

--------------------

Edited by plonkerism (09/22/08 01:25 AM)

Offlinekingy
Walkabout
Male

#8967006 - 09/22/08 05:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

cheers mate a few things discussed in this thread are in them pics,if you look at the bottum right of the main pic it has the blue bruising that i always get from handling when dunking. also the top left has the mycelium growing spikes outwards (at the base) which is how i know its going to pin soon.

pretty much the same as what yours are doing:thumbup:

This batch is better than the last ones ive done as these cakes where made  a little drier and added a bit more BRF when preparing them. That way they colonize faster and therez been more nutrients available for more shrooms hopefully. By the looks of these my idea has worked.

yea steve you need to dunk after each flush to restore the moisture lost during transpiration. also as plonkers said dont re-roll. This is where you'll get contams.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Boomr Bag