Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8605525 - 07/07/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

CherryBom said:
Just because you don't 'beleive' something does not imply that you can't take on certain characteristics from it.  You may not be christian, muslim, pagan or jedi, but you can still exhibit traits and/or morals from any religon.

How about peace and tolerance?  Inner balance?  Love for family and friends?  Respect for nature?

Are these things so bad all mashed up together as one?

thats exactly my point cherry. there is no need for religion.  humanity can have all of the positive attributes of religion rolled into one nice neat package without being religious.  IMO religion is one of the biggest problems with humanity and one of the biggest reasons there will never be peace.

Maybe it can, maybe it can't. We'll never know, because as far as we know there's never been a civilization that
1. has not been religious
and/or
2. has this nice neat package figured out perfectly

Perhaps had there never been religion, none of these morals that you obviously do find some value in, would even exist.
You certainly cannot say that at its very ROOT, religion was not meant to bring peace and bring people together?

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: robbyberto]
    #8605531 - 07/07/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

robbyberto said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

robbyberto said:
I used to share your sentiments on Christianity, but after thinking on it for quite awhile I've decided that religion is almost necessary for a society to function. A society as a whole needs to have good morals to be successful, and religion helps to instill those morals. I don't believe in Christianity, you don't believe in Christianity, but both of us certainly share morals that are based in Christianity simply because we live in a Christian society.

i dont believe a society needs a religion to have good morals.

I do. Another point, people need to have good morals and they need to be the same morals. Religion just makes it so much easier to govern and rule a society. I hate it, but at the same time I understand that is probably necessary for a society to function effectively. 

so basically youre saying not only do we need religion, but we need ONE religion?  i dont buy it.

take every positive moral from all religions, roll them into one and lets just call it society. as long as religion exists, bickering and fighting over stupid differences in each religion will prevent peace.

--------------------

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8605533 - 07/07/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

rexmundi said:
What irritates me is that many Christians seem unwilling to acknowledge that there are other religions out there.

I mean sure, no other gods before me, and all that crap, thus the argument that all others are just Satan doing his dirtywork.

But seriously, they are not even the biggest religion in the world, they insist on seeing demons and Satan in practices that are just as legitimate and damn right comparable to their own.  They fail to see parallels and deliberately blind themselves to the reality of the world.

Again, not all Christians, and Christians are not the only ones to discriminate, but goddamn it's noticeable, and a large part of why people hate them I think.

actually Christianity is the largest religion in the world. Perhaps that's why it's so noticeable?

And honestly this thread isn't doing much of anything to show any difference in judgmental-ism between Christians and anyone else.

unfortunately this is true due to the devastating fact that the religion of the prince of peace was pushed using scare tactics and sheer violence/bloodshed. same goes with the next largest religion, islam.

this, i will agree, yes, was a horrible thing.
Which was certainly not in line with the original idea of christianity anyway

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
    #8605535 - 07/07/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

robbyberto said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

robbyberto said:
I used to share your sentiments on Christianity, but after thinking on it for quite awhile I've decided that religion is almost necessary for a society to function. A society as a whole needs to have good morals to be successful, and religion helps to instill those morals. I don't believe in Christianity, you don't believe in Christianity, but both of us certainly share morals that are based in Christianity simply because we live in a Christian society.

i dont believe a society needs a religion to have good morals.

I do. Another point, people need to have good morals and they need to be the same morals. Religion just makes it so much easier to govern and rule a society. I hate it, but at the same time I understand that is probably necessary for a society to function effectively. 

so basically youre saying not only do we need religion, but we need ONE religion?  i dont buy it.

take every positive moral from all religions, roll them into one and lets just call it society. as long as religion exists, bickering and fighting over stupid differences in each religion will prevent peace.

I'm not saying that we need one religion or even that a society needs one religion. A society needs to share a set of morals, and those morals generally have always come from religion.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #8605537 - 07/07/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

supra said:
If you still believe in Christianity, with all the proof and reason otherwise, then you are choosing to be ignorant.  Now my mother is a Christian, and I love her dearly, but she is still ignorant to the fact that Christianity, just as any other religion, is a form of control.  I have discussed this with her thoroughly, as she doesn't like the fact that I don't believe Christianity, and she even agreed with a few of my points, but also dismisses them because they do not fall into her beliefs.  I also do lose some respect for people that continue to CHOOSE to be IGNORANT, instead of think logically.  Even if I do lose a little respect towards my mother for that, she still has more than most.

by the way, i hope all you christians aren't eating any shellfish, that is a sin.  No lobster, no crab, no goodies for you.

peace

How do you "believe in Christianity"?
Or, better yet, how do you not?
Christianity exists.

Now, if you're referring to a tenet of Christianity, which one are you referring to that there is proof and reason against?
Love thy neighbor as thyself? Kind of hard to prove that wrong.

well now this i disagree with boxcar. it is simple to not believe in something. because something simply exists does not mean it must be believed in.  rape exists, no doubt about it. but i do not believe in it, i do not practice it, it is no part of my life.  same goes for christianity, islam, and any other set of ideals similar.

I think you misunderstood.
Admittedly, I was just being a dick.
Following the rape analogy, I was basically saying "how can you not believe in rape if it exists?"
Not using the term "believe in" to mean "think is correct/right/etc"

but there in lies the problem.  there is physical proof rape exists every single day. rape can be experienced. it can be witnessed by people first hand.  there is no tangible evidence of god. all of the evidence of god in the history of humanity lies within peoples hearts and minds.

haha I wasn't even trying to make an argument. I was just pointing out semantics. There is physical proof that people are Christians, ie. churches, wearing crosses, what have you.
That's all I was saying. There's obviously a difference in what you mentioned. I wasn't putting forth an argument of any kind.

i know but im in a debating mood tonight.  :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinerexmundi
Stranger

Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #8605548 - 07/07/08 07:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

rexmundi said:
What irritates me is that many Christians seem unwilling to acknowledge that there are other religions out there.

I mean sure, no other gods before me, and all that crap, thus the argument that all others are just Satan doing his dirtywork.

But seriously, they are not even the biggest religion in the world, they insist on seeing demons and Satan in practices that are just as legitimate and damn right comparable to their own.  They fail to see parallels and deliberately blind themselves to the reality of the world.

Again, not all Christians, and Christians are not the only ones to discriminate, but goddamn it's noticeable, and a large part of why people hate them I think.

actually Christianity is the largest religion in the world. Perhaps that's why it's so noticeable?

And honestly this thread isn't doing much of anything to show any difference in judgmental-ism between Christians and anyone else.

My bad, I was thinking of Islam as the fastest growing in the world, got the facts mixed up.  I would say it's noticeable because I live in a predominately Christian society.

Sometimes I'm judgmental, I try to keep it limited, but in a world of generalizations it happens.  There are times to be open minded and there are time that judgments are called for.  I have plenty of judgments regarding other religions and beliefs.  I mostly keep those judgments to myself.

More than a great deal of Christians can truthfully say.

--------------------
"I Love Democracy"
-Emporer Palpatine

Fuck the system.

Offlinewildchild68
lion in a coma
 User Gallery

Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: CherryBom]
    #8605550 - 07/07/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CherryBom said:
Just because you don't 'beleive' something does not imply that you can't take on certain characteristics from it.  You may not be christian, muslim, pagan or jedi, but you can still exhibit traits and/or morals from any religon.

How about peace and tolerance?  Inner balance?  Love for family and friends?  Respect for nature?

Sure you can have morals of beliefs that fall in line with religions and not be religious in any sense yourself. But why attribute those morals to a certain religion?

I believe you should treat others as you wish to be treated for the most part. Do I believe it because it's a Christian virtue (heh)? Fuck no.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8605575 - 07/07/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

CherryBom said:

thats exactly my point cherry. there is no need for religion.  humanity can have all of the positive attributes of religion rolled into one nice neat package without being religious.  IMO religion is one of the biggest problems with humanity and one of the biggest reasons there will never be peace.

Maybe it can, maybe it can't. We'll never know, because as far as we know there's never been a civilization that
and/or

Perhaps had there never been religion, none of these morals that you obviously do find some value in, would even exist.
You certainly cannot say that at its very ROOT, religion was not meant to bring peace and bring people together?

now THERES something to ponder about.

--------------------

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

#8605589 - 07/07/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

CherryBom said:

and/or

now THERES something to ponder about.

lol and with that, I bid this thread fucking adieu!
Thanks for the discussion!

BTW, i must let it be known once again that I am a Christian Universalist. I don't believe in hell, I do believe in the validity of other religions, I claim truth wherever I find it, I believe God is alive within all people, and I'm not convinced that Jesus was any more divine than anyone else.
There is plenty of room for psychedelics in my spiritual worldview and I love 'em!! :psychsplit:

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8605594 - 07/07/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
Quote:

rexmundi said:

unfortunately this is true due to the devastating fact that the religion of the prince of peace was pushed using scare tactics and sheer violence/bloodshed. same goes with the next largest religion, islam.

this, i will agree, yes, was a horrible thing.
Which was certainly not in line with the original idea of christianity anyway

its actually funny, if christianity fell in line with christs thoughts and ideas, it would not exist.  he fought against organized religion, he wanted people to embrace god, but push away the organizations that pretended to uphold "religious" law.  christ said that god is inside of us. not in buildings of stone and wood.

and if you believe in that, i would never take that away from you.  you dont need the label of a religion to believe in god. it is a multifunctional word that can describe many peoples beliefs.

corrupt people used him to attain power.

--------------------

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #8605621 - 07/07/08 07:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I know a lot of Christians. Probably 90% of the people I know, grew up with, or live in my neighborhood would identify themselves as Christians.  Some of them go to church regularly, some of them don't.  I have never seen any one of them exhibit closed mindedness, distrust or contempt for people of other religions, or try to push their ideals onto anyone.  Most of these people don't interpret the Bible as literal and indisputable fact.  They're just regular people who were born into Christianity, chose to believe in it and practice it. Theres absolutely nothing to hate about any of them.

I live in New England, maybe Christians down south and further inland are the crazy ones.

Hating Christians is a sweeping generalization thats on par with the belief that all drug users are criminals, thieves and self-centered irresponsible scumbags.

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
    #8605623 - 07/07/08 07:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It's just like, you meet someone, you think they're pretty cool and then it turns out they go to church on Sundays. It's just so fucking disappointing. And where I live now, it's like almost everyone is a Christian. It's like a fucking contagious cancer or something-- God it's so fucking sickening! It's so fucking obvious that the only reason they believe it is because all the people around them believe it. It's so Goddman retarded. I have more respect for a fucking robot seriously. Shout Amen!!!

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #8605632 - 07/07/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Hating Christians is a sweeping generalization thats on par with the belief that all drug users are criminals, thieves and self-centered irresponsible scumbags.

But there's a reoccurring theme that all Christians share, they believe something that's really really REALLY fucking stupid.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

#8605684 - 07/07/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yea it is a pretty silly concept.  That God came to earth in human form and died so that we could all go to heaven.  Why would he have to do that for people to go to heaven?  If God is all powerful then he could have just skipped all that trouble and had people going to heaven from the start.

I guess if you get your head filled with Christian teachings and sacraments starting from when you're an infant it becomes such a part of you that it doesn't seem like a strange thing to believe.  What I can't believe is people who convert to Christianity as adults.

I think a lot of people who were raised as Christians grow up and question their religion but never fully part from it because they're scared that they won't get into heaven. They're not so sure about the whole thing but they continue believing just in case.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: BoneMan]
    #8606135 - 07/07/08 09:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BoneMan said:
  Most of these people don't interpret the Bible as literal and indisputable fact. 

Another part I just love about Christianity, it sure is convenient to interpret the bible anyway you see fit.  My brother in law is a baptist fundamentalist, and he believes the bible is fact.  Also, as most Christians, believes that all people of all other faiths are going to 'hell' (yes, i know there are many concepts of this within Christianity, because people can interpret it however they like).  My best friend growing up was a catholic, and constantly told me I would go to hell if it didn't stop my methodist ways...funny shit.

peace

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: supra]
    #8606234 - 07/07/08 10:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't mean it like that but I guess you're right.  I just meant the Christians I know aren't crazy enough to believe the Earth is 2000 some odd years old and that God created the human race from clay and dust or something.

The threat of going to hell is the not scariest threat ever.  Ever have someone tell you that they feel sorry for you because you're going to hell?  HAH!  Some dumb teenage born again chick told me that once.  So I said told her that when I die I'm going to haunt her.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: BoneMan]
    #8606251 - 07/07/08 10:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

They ARE crazy though.  They call themselves christians, yet don't believe in their book that tells them how to be so and what to believe.  It is more convenient to mold their religion with how things really work.  Creation was fact to ALL christians a few hundred years ago, no many say, its 'symbolism'.  I call BULLSHIT to the highest degree.

peace

Offlineteeter
Mindfucked
Male User Gallery

Loc: Philadelphia PA
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: supra]
    #9781565 - 02/11/09 10:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

sorry i didnt feel like reading the whole discussion, but i felt compelled to post this...sorry fro possible repeat

i completely agree with you, im a very spiritual person (im technically a christian...bapitised, parents christian, ect.) but i absolutely dislike the christian religion

i actually think there are many ppl that feel this way and imo the reason is: about 10-20% of christians are self serving douchbags who try to spew their religion to everyone...its almost like they are bragging about it

i swear...every fucking day i meet some cunt who makes some comment to me about prayer or church like shes trying to brag about being religious (completely missing the point of religion...its not a popularity contest) or like shes trying to convert me over...i honestly cant stand it...one of these days im gona spaz out on one of these ppl and tell them that i garuntee im 10 times more spiritual and connected to god than they are (reading a fucking book and chanting pre-written prayers isnt fucking spiritual at all)

thats most likely why u dislike christianity...the teachings of the religion are actually fine (love your fellow man, ect.) its the bullshit fanatics who shove their religion in your face that piss me off...if they'd go buddist and stfu i might give their church a try, but i just cant stand how fake and annoying all those "born again christians" are

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern." - William Blake

"Psychedelics helped me to escape.. albeit momentarily.. from the prison of my mind. It over-rode the habit patterns of thought and I was able to taste innocence again. Looking at sensations freshly without the conceptual overlay was very profound." - Ram Das

Offlineshroomer33
Mack Daddy PIMP
Male

Loc: Beyond the Sun
    #14494836 - 05/22/11 04:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
Quote:

iwasaClown said:
Jesus hates you back.

when he comes back hes gonna rape you up the ass and Satans gonna shit on your dick.:crankey:

I don't hate Jesus I just thinnk he was a kooky cult leader. It's just why the fuck has this shit gone on so long? Christians, let this fucking bullshit die already! Please!!!

If he was just a kooky cult leader, the shit would have died already.  There is something in Christianity that strikes at the heart of men, which also explains why you hate it so much.

--------------------
Formula: 0
-------------

Diabolical prismatic streaks of bitterness frame the grim and frostbitten dawn; their furious glow enthroned upon arctic heavens, destined to reign above Lucifer’s Windows XP desktop wallpaper for all eternity.

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: not atheist not agnostic not nothin' but i HATE christianity [Re: shroomer33]
    #14494858 - 05/22/11 04:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:maximumtrolling:

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order