Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Loc: The Tundra
Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek
    #8602765 - 07/07/08 12:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you've seen the prices on the All-American pressure cooker/canners and don't wish to spend that amount of money, here is how you can get the same thing for a LOT LESS MONEY.

The vintage National pressure cookers made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin years ago use the same basic technology...no gasket to fool with...its a machined fit for the lid...with turn-screws to secure the lid.

The only difference is the "pressure-relief". The old Nationals had a screw-valve to adjust the pressure relief. It wasn't too handy because you needed to watch it all the time and watch the pressure gauge to keep your pressure "in-line".

All-American (and most others these days) use a weight to vent the pressure automatically. Very Safe and Practical.

If you have an old National gasket less aluminum pressure cooker/canner, you can make it exactly like the high-priced All-Americans very cheaply and simply:

Here is a picture of an old National Canner.

1. remove the National "screw-type" pressure vent. (This will probably require a pair of "water-pump pliers)(channel-lock type).

2. into the threaded hole that the National vent came out of (on the lid), install an All-American pressure cooker vent pipe. It uses the same threads as the one you took out. (Will require a 7/16 wrench)
Tighten it securely, but be careful not to overdo it and strip the aluminum threads in the lid.

3. Use the 3-way All-American (or Mirro) pressure cooker weight on the new vent pipe. (flat circular shape with three different settings 5 lb. 10 lb. and 15 lb.

You now have the same cooker as an All-American at much less cost.

You can find the parts by doing a search on Ebay but they can be somewhat hard to find at times, and you really don't save that much. I found mine @ http://www.allamericanpressurecookers.com

If you don't have an old National Pressure cooker/canner, you can also find them very reasonably on Ebay. Shipping is expensive on these "heavy" items, so try to find one near where you live. I found mine on craigslist for 15 bucks. I have a total of $47.00 in this whole project. You can barely touch a cheapy at Wal-Mart for that, and I wasn't too hip on spending upwards of $200.00 on an All-American

NOTE: These are the cookers with the "thumb-screw" lock downs, and are the larger pressure cookers.

Be sure that your pressure gauge is functional so that you can verify the pressure relief of the pressure regulator (3-way weight).

Hope this can help someone like myself who really cant afford an All-American.

--------------------

Someone actually said: "some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores ""

Edited by psylopsycho (07/07/08 12:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: psylopsycho]
    #8602793 - 07/07/08 12:24 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I salute you for pioneering the field of modified PC's:cool:

Most people that venture into this field never end up posting the results here on the account of all the shrapnel in their face.

:crazy2:be safe!!

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: themange]
    #8602799 - 07/07/08 12:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Someone actually said: "some 1 told me to try long brown rice and water and vermiculite and pressure cook for 1 hour i did but nothing happen that is y was wonting to no if i need spores ""

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8602808 - 07/07/08 12:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup::thumbup:

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: themange]
    #8602819 - 07/07/08 12:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

themange said:
I salute you for pioneering the field of modified PC's:cool:

Most people that venture into this field never end up posting the results here on the account of all the shrapnel in their face.

:crazy2:be safe!!

i laughed out loud when i read this :rofl2::rofl:

OP nice job on the modification  :headbanger:

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: smily]
    #8602840 - 07/07/08 12:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Statistics say:

More people die each year playing Badminton than in PC accidents.

LMAO

:grin:

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
    #8602913 - 07/07/08 01:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

you can also check out places like Value Village  "thrift store", and Goodwill, i just found a great buy yesterday for 15$. 

Offlinewasting_space
....JerkO'lantern....

Loc: halloweentown
Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: rugergirl79]
    #8603004 - 07/07/08 02:24 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Or you can just mosey on over to Wally World and buy a presto pressure cooker for about 40 clams!

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: wasting_space]
    #8603009 - 07/07/08 02:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Walmart= cheap Chinese plastic shit.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #8603053 - 07/07/08 03:18 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yea I wouldn't trust walmart for anything that made improperly could explode, just like I wouldn't trust any food products or anything that could be put into the body.

I also boycott walmart for it's lack of corporate ethics and horrendous labor practices.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8603271 - 07/07/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i've had my walmart pressure cookers for over 2 years now with no loss in quality. (mirro)

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

#8603325 - 07/07/08 07:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rugergirl79 said:
you can also check out places like Value Village  "thrift store", and Goodwill, i just found a great buy yesterday for 15$. 

Congrats on the find. Although we all must admit, That is a rare one. I actually shop 13 different thrift stores daily, ( I buy & sell ) and I think in 7 years I have seen maybe 3 PC's and they were all junk. Again congrats on the find. I'll give ya 30.00    :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8604111 - 07/07/08 12:56 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
y

I also boycott walmart for it's lack of corporate ethics and horrendous labor practices.

......me too.....walmart was my very first job, and i must say that it was a different place then at that time.  Sam Walton was still alive and his practices were still in place.  After he passed, the value of the all mighty dollar ment nothing to those who took his place.

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

#8604138 - 07/07/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i found my 721 on craigslist for $50.

it's one of the old designs with a vent cock (or whatever it's called) rather than a weight.  I was going to replace it with a new weight, but i've come to prefer the vent cock over the weight because it gives you more control over your PSI and temp.

I would actually also prefer the screw valve you show above over a weight for the same reason.

i think when you have a screw valve or vent cock, it's called a "sterilizer" instead of a pressure cooker, although i'm not sure why.

--------------------

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: nonlinear]
    #8605478 - 07/07/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I kind of like the idea of somewhat "Set it and forget it"

90 minutes of staring at a pressure gauge gets old real quick.

--------------------

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

#8605487 - 07/07/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it takes about 20 minutes or so to come into equilibrium.  after that you usually don't have to adjust the temp, but i do check it occasionally

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8605503 - 07/07/08 07:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I consider coughing up the money for your first AA as a kinda mycological rite of passage :lol:

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: Blutjager]
    #8605556 - 07/07/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

not to mention that having a pressure cooker is fucking awesome.  you can use it for cooking stuff in way less time, and also for canning fruits, veggies, jams, sauces, salsa, etc.

i've always wanted to make my own pickles and shit like that, but could never do it in the past.  this summer though, i'm growing my own cukes and herbs and some carrots and will also go to the farmers market and can up some dope ass shit at the end of the summer.  it also makes nice gifts cause people (my friends and fam, anyhow) love that kinda shit.

i'm a midwestern boy though and grew up not far from where AAs are manufactured LOL.  so maybe i'm biased.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8605602 - 07/07/08 07:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ha ha,I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to what the hell to put in my AA except for jars of potential spawn grains:dielaughing:

Invisiblepsylopsycho
Motivational Speaker
Male

Re: Save Some $$$$$ Pressure Cooker Tek [Re: Blutjager]
    #8605728 - 07/07/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If only we could cook jars and a roast at the same time........  ahhhhhh that would be nice.

LMAO

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag