Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejustdrumluck
Cespitose Pinstalker

Re: Cube potency issues [Re: AbaZabba]
    #8607966 - 07/08/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You might also be sure that you don't store dried mushroom powder, but take it immediately after making it. Crushed, broken, and especially powdered mushrooms won't retain their potency as well as whole, dry mushrooms.

Also, don't leave dry mushrooms in sunlight. UV rays break down psilocybin as well as many other naturally occurring chemicals.

Quote:

I picked the largest fruit in hopes that it has some of the genetics I'm looking for

I also grew some GTs that were huge, but weak. The biggest aren't always the most potent...*shrug* genetics *shrug*

--------------------
My Panaeolus tropicalis Grow
Koyaanasqatsi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineendepth
The world remains ever the same.

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: Cube potency issues [Re: mooowi]
    #8607982 - 07/08/08 12:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mooowi said:
I am 100% positive the problem is how you dried them. You need to invest in a good dehydrator that dryes them at about 90 degrees. I had the same problem when I started.

It is one of two things
1) You dried them at too high a temp
2) They seem like they are dry but there is still water in them. This will happen when you dry them without a deydrator.

I've dried fruits at 130F with no potency loss.

Check your facts.

--------------------
Being normal is nothing to aspire to. It is something to get away from.

OfflineAbaZabba
Seeker of Truth

Re: Cube potency issues [Re: endepth]
    #8609222 - 07/08/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So does everyone here work with isolates, or do you all just play the mix and match potency multi-spore game? 

I need to learn what traits to look for in cloning potent specimens, I'm tired of guessing. 

Are there any threads, books, or other reading material that gives instruction on selecting?

Also, if someone here works with GT's that can post a picture of a tried and true potent selection of golden teachers that would be greatly appreciated so I can get an idea of what to look for.

OfflineBubba McMushies
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #8609244 - 07/08/08 05:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Potency is not something that can be seen.

In order to isolate a potent strain you need to make an isolate culture or clone, grow it out, eat the fruit, and decide if that particular isolate/clone has traits you want to use.

If not you try again.

--------------------
SPAWN CALCULATOR!

Offlineendepth
The world remains ever the same.

Loc: Cloud 9
    #8609251 - 07/08/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AbaZabba said:
So does everyone here work with isolates, or do you all just play the mix and match potency multi-spore game? 

I need to learn what traits to look for in cloning potent specimens, I'm tired of guessing. 

Are there any threads, books, or other reading material that gives instruction on selecting?

Also, if someone here works with GT's that can post a picture of a tried and true potent selection of golden teachers that would be greatly appreciated so I can get an idea of what to look for.

See this thread. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8493804#8493804

:smile:

--------------------
Being normal is nothing to aspire to. It is something to get away from.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #8609373 - 07/08/08 06:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

but it may be worth your time to get a new gene pool if yours sucks and you can't hardly get a potent fruit from it. Just sayin here.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineKing Koopa
Mr. Hit Dat Hoe
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Houston
Re: Cube potency issues [Re: ScavengerType]
    #8609426 - 07/08/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cool thread!

--------------------
Best Post on the Shroomery
Don't criticize my mess unless you'd like to become part of it.

OfflineAbaZabba
Seeker of Truth

#8610510 - 07/08/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

endepth said:
Quote:

AbaZabba said:

See this thread. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8493804#8493804

:smile:

Thanks for that link, RR always has some informative posts to contribute to this lovely community.  I guess it's time for some trial and error and to delve into the world of agar.

If only I had listened to a few old hands when I initially started this hobby I would already have some potent specimens cloned and agar under my belt.  O well, gives me an excuse to do more mycology reading for the evening :thumbup:

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dubai بجدية عربي...
Re: Cube potency issues [Re: justdrumluck]
    #8610837 - 07/09/08 12:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

justdrumluck said:
You might also be sure that you don't store dried mushroom powder, but take it immediately after making it. Crushed, broken, and especially powdered mushrooms won't retain their potency as well as whole, dry mushrooms.

Any evidence for that? Vacuum sealing whole dry mushrooms might be best but not an option for many people. Powder them and pack into an air-tight jar as tight as possible, eliminating any air pocket under the lid with tissues. I think this would be better than whole dry mushrooms loose in a bag or jar. Air touching the mushrooms any longer than necessary is the main thing to worry about. Keep in a dark place, ideally the freezer.

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: Cube potency issues [Re: roquet]
    #8611883 - 07/09/08 07:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

People have reported great shelf lives with capsules. Just use sealed containers and put them in the fridge/freezer. Only fresh mushrooms go bad in the freezer. You may want to use a few separate containers in cold storage so you don't have to thaw as much at any given time. If using cold storage, you must let the mushroom product reach room temp before opening the container or else you risk condensation. This may require some extra planning so that you can thaw in time for the planned trip.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

Offlinejustdrumluck
Cespitose Pinstalker

Re: Cube potency issues [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8612297 - 07/09/08 09:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Any evidence for that?

Yup. I don't have all the books in front of me, but Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Paul Stamets states, "...large psilocybin mushrooms are better left intact. Call-well damage from cutting will result in lowering of their potency." Also, "Do not use solar dryers, or expose the mushroom to direct sunlight, as ultraviolet radiation and extreme heat will reduce activity."

I have had shaky, chopped dried mushrooms and mushroom powder and I can verify the statement. Nowadays, I always dry and eat whole, usually with lemon or black currant juice.

I believe Stamets and Chilton also state the same things in Mushroom Cultivator.

--------------------
My Panaeolus tropicalis Grow
Koyaanasqatsi

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: Cube potency issues [Re: justdrumluck]
    #8612342 - 07/09/08 10:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Powdering your shrooms is fine if you are sure to get them 100% dry first and then keep the powder protected from moisture in the air. It will gladly suck moisture out of the air, so it needs a sealed container. This is true of whole dried shrooms too, but it's more critical with powder because of the larger surface area and destroyed cell walls.

Cell wall damage does expose psilocin and psilocybin to oxygen, but if totally dry, the powder will be fine for a while. Just don't leave it out in the open since again, it will suck water out of the air like low-powered, stinky Damp-Rid. I've had powder that I suspected of absorbing moisture somewhere. I left it on a coffee filter in one of my desiccant boxes to dry out. The texture improved and no one ever complained about the potency.

Storing as a powder, IMHO, only makes sense if you are making capsules. Even though I like powder (for capsules), I still admit that whole dried shrooms are a much more stable form to store than anything else. Now if you do like capsules.......

250 capsules all ready to go. They'll be loaded into a few pill bottles and put in the fridge or freezer. I think they'll last. I do share a lot too, so they might not need to be stored too well.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder