Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineranonar
Stranger
How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery
    #8590612 - 07/03/08 05:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I am one of those people with the conviction that ads (like any other text) only should be viewed by people who choose to see ads. I think that is a part of the freedom that one can read what one wants to read, in other words it is an expession of the freedom to consume/produce information without supervision - one of the corner stones of liberty.

Soo I was a bit surprised (to say the least) to discover an "only communists block ads" banner on top of a spammery page. Yes 'spammery' because it was an attempt to force me into receiving unsollicitized commercial messages.

Most likely I got the ad for the reason that I use adblock to visit the internet. Fortunately the situation was easy to remedy (with adblock plus element hiding helper, see https: // addons.mozilla.org / en-US / firefox / addons / versions / 4364 ) but I am still puzzled by the necessity for such a measure. Somebody must have thought that you can irritate visitors into switching off adblock, and that those people then become happy buyers of whatever nifty shit the ad is promoting. And obviously that people who are not convinced that way must be communists.

Not so (this site is not maintained by dumb-ass christian right-wingers is it?). I am an anarchist/taoist. Not a communist. I want to read what I want and avoid reading what I do not want. I visit the shroomery quite often and I even have bought products from sponsors. But since I know the spammery/shroomery vendors already I do not need to see their distracting ads every time I open up a page.

So i was thinking... Wouldn't it be much more user-friendly to place a button on top of each page which enables one to watch the shroomery ad-free - a button which can be visible to every member who has posted more than a given amount of messages (or receives a certain amount of credits, or types in a code which can be given to him or her by a sponsor after buying a product)? This would be a way to both promote the sponsors and respect the desires of visitors.

Until that time I use the element hiding helper of adblock. Because I do not feel taken seriously right now. I do not even feel that my freedom to choose my own information is respected. I feel forced to read what I do not want to read. And in my conviction forcing people to read texts they do not like is alot more "communist" than blocking ads.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: ranonar]
    #8590628 - 07/03/08 06:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why is the internet free?

You can buy a supporter account and view the Shroomery without ads. Someone has to pay for your information.

Offlineranonar
Stranger
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Annom]
    #8590664 - 07/03/08 06:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

"Someone has to pay for your information"

I do not dispute that. And I believe that I did help shroomery sponsors making money, so that they could help paying the server costs for the shroomery.

What I dispute is the communist (?) practice to force people to read propaganda or other promotional texts.

You do not really think that the shroomery will receive more money by irritating people who make it clear (by using adblock) that they do not want to see spam?

This policy may even work counter productive when people decide to NOT buy from vendors who allow a site to advertise for their products by spam!

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #8590885 - 07/03/08 08:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Yes 'spammery' because it was an attempt to force me into receiving unsollicitized commercial messages.

Quote:

I do not even feel that my freedom to choose my own information is respected. I feel forced to read what I do not want to read. And in my conviction forcing people to read texts they do not like is alot more "communist" than blocking ads.

You missed the part where we "forced" you to load up the site in the first place. :rolleyes: This kind of hyperbole doesn't help your argument.

But look, I just posted about this yesterday. I do respect your right to block ads. You won't see me lobbying Congress to make it illegal. I'm not trying to get the Adblock project shut down. Would that certain major corporations were so enlightened, if I do say so myself. But if we decide to implement countermeasures, that's our right. We provide this resource for free, and we can try and enforce certain conditions for its use. If you don't like it, all our content is creative commons licensed, go start your own Shroomery. The only argument which holds any sway with me is that it might be a bad business decision. But so far I'm not convinced that's the case. Most active members of this site appreciate the amount of work which goes into maintenance, and they tolerate the ads or sign up as supporters and disable them. And while I'm sure your 24 posts are all excellent, you are always welcome to take your 'business' elsewhere. We'll get 50 new registrations today, I think we'll survive.

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Ythan]
    #8590889 - 07/03/08 08:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ythan, will you post that wiggling batman dance thing for me?

I laughed so hard when you posted that.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Stein]
    #8590900 - 07/03/08 09:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Of course Stein! Ranonar I'd like to see you get this kind of browsing experience anywhere else. :grin:

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8591000 - 07/03/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Stein]
    #8591271 - 07/03/08 11:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:dielaughing:

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

Invisiblemaggotz

#8591600 - 07/03/08 01:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

haha, makes me laugh every time.

Offlineranonar
Stranger
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: maggotz]
    #8591896 - 07/03/08 03:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ok I see your point... Of course the shroomery is a moneymaking machine. I should have realized that. And indeed it is your businessman's right to attempt to irritate people. I do not argue that  - that is what business types do. No problem, I will use software which blocks the 'communist' banner as well.

I wish you all the best with your moneymaking, mr. businessman!

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#8592034 - 07/03/08 03:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:blah: had you bothered to ask you'd be aware that the Shroomery is a money losing machine, a fact which we're trying to address with this and other measures as our charge is ensuring its continued existence. But I'm thrilled to hear you plan to stop bitching that this ad-supported resource which you freely choose to utilize, has ads.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #8594020 - 07/04/08 04:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Get out of your jacuzzi, your Bentley is ready to drive you to your private golf course mr businessman!

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Annom]
    #8594162 - 07/04/08 06:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I think that is a part of the freedom that one can read what one wants to read, in other words it is an expession of the freedom to consume/produce information without supervision - one of the corner stones of liberty.

I think one of the problems with your post is the attitude that things need to be a certain way, without any reason for it to be so.  You strike me as just investing in some baseless and shallow philosophy, which is somewhat ironic given that your a professed anarchist.

Your welcome to give your feedback, but your philosophy that things should be a certain way is stupid.

Stuff costs money.  This site is free to do what they like.  They should try to make the most money, if that's part of their goal-which I presume, and this probably means limiting ads to the lowest possible level while gaining enough to profit and run the site.

Why should shit be a certain way?  Why should this site care about freedom or not put out adds?  I don't get it.

Yes I'd prefer it as a reader, but I'd do the same thing if I were running a site, and its not so obnoxious to interfere with the site.

Closet anarchists are funny.  What's the philosophy, you get to do whatever you want, but other people should do what you want?

Most of the anarchists I've met have fit this basic philosophy and strike me as shortsighted spoiled brats.  You seem no different.

Why you think this site's administrators should work second jobs to support your notion of liberty is beyond me.

Offlineranonar
Stranger
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: johnm214]
    #8594196 - 07/04/08 07:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ythan, you mean that with 50 new subscriptions per day the site is loosing money? Who is smoking it all up?

My chagrin was not about the ads but about the counter-measure to adblock attempt. Not the ads themselves. But that was the situation yesterday. I know you are not forcing me to visit your site. But the ' communist' banner looks similar to email spam (nobody forces anybody to use email and especially Windows, and everybody who uses email and especially Windows 'deserves' to be spammed - I guess that is your argumentation right?). Everybody without a proper spamfilter, spy&adware blocker should not complain about what (s)he receives.

Soo - perhaps I have to thank you now because the communist banner motivated me to improve my blocking software. I suppose that you could have used far more dangerous software than a banner as anti adblock measure.

As for a plan to improve the financial health of the site, perhaps it helps to publish a complete financial/organizatorial overview of the shroomery project, so all members can give their input. How does the shroomery organization look like? Is it a company, foundation or something else? Did you choose the best organization structure (tax wise)?

Total financial openness may look scary but I don't think the shroomery has much competition to fear. And the site does not do anything illegal AFAIK so it is very well possible that openness leads to more useful feedback from members.

Invisiblemaggotz

#8594301 - 07/04/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan, you mean that with 50 new subscriptions per day the site is loosing money? Who is smoking it all up?

most people are like you and me, they don't pay shit. hopefully i'll be changing that soon cuz i really love the site.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8596647 - 07/05/08 06:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Are you fucking serious? You're complaining about a simple ad on a FREE site, that YOU choose to visit. No one is forcing you to read anything. Yet you feel the need to come in here, and complain as if the Shroomery owes you something for bestowing us with your glorious presence. Then you have the nerve to refer to one of the best resources of information on the internet as the "Spammery", and then call it a moneymaking machine.

You do of course realize, that the many FREE services on this site eat up a MASSIVE amount of bandwidth every month (I'm sure Ythan would be happy to provide the numbers). Who is smoking it all up? How about the thousands of people that post here on a regular basis, just maybe, or perhaps the tens of thousands of pictures that are hosted here? You're full of it. The Shroomery is a vast community with tons of resources and very knowledgeable people. What it is not, is a moneymaking business.

But you feel like it must owe you something for all of its free services and information.. that ad that helps offset a fraction of the cost of upkeep.. instead of just ignoring it.. you feel the need to block it. Ok fine, block it. But then come in here and make this self-righteous snerty declaration of you're too good for a humorous anti-blocking ad? You know you do have the choice of becoming a sponsor, if you don't want to see ads at all. Personally I think it's pretty fucking fair to have one little ad when you consider the vast amount of resources and information this site provides to everyone for FREE. YOU choose to come here. You aren't being forced to read anything you don't want to. And we're not even talking about spyware, adware, popup ads, or anything of that sort.. just an unobtrusive little ad.

I'm sorry, maybe I interpreted it wrong.. but your posts in this thread really pissed me off. I take it as a personal insult.
With the amount of time and effort the admins put into this site, to make it as user-friendly as possible..
then we have people like you come in and piss all over it, as if it's not good enough for them.
Well, if you don't like it, then maybe you should take your anarchist/taoist ass and GTFO.. the Shroomery owes you nothing.
And that's about as tactfully as I can will myself to say it.

This thread is not very Tao of you, BTW.
because

The Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.
That is why it lasts forever.

--------------------

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Shroomism]
    #8596665 - 07/05/08 06:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

the communist banner is hilarious.  I've never seen it because the shroomery's ad's don't bother me.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
    #8596668 - 07/05/08 07:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What are you doing with all that internet money, friend?

We want some of that internet money!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Boom]
    #8596686 - 07/05/08 07:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not your friend, buddy

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8596830 - 07/05/08 09:18 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ranonar said:

Until that time I use the element hiding helper of adblock. Because I do not feel taken seriously right now. I do not even feel that my freedom to choose my own information is respected. I feel forced to read what I do not want to read. And in my conviction forcing people to read texts they do not like is alot more "communist" than blocking ads.

You are not forced to read anything.  If ads offend you, scroll past them instead of stopping to fire off some self-righteous diatribe about personal liberty.  Failing that, turn off your computer and go outside.  Just keep an eye out for aggressive billboards and sponsored publications, they can sneak up on you at any time.

If you really hate ads, but you like the Shroomery, become a supporter.  It's a few dollars a month and you get a lot of features including the ability to turn off add banners.  I think this is a great site and it is well worth the couch-cushion change I pay for supporter status.  I'm astonished at how many long time users don't even think it is worth that much. 

I don't know where you got the idea that you have a right to "not see" certain types of information, on the internet or elsewhere.  Anarchy guarantees no respect and certainly no rights.  Perhaps this personal conviction of yours does not make a lot of sense in the real world and is just an idealistic phase you will eventually grow out of.  Until then, why not voluntarily support the Shroomery for what it offers, if not by becoming a supporter then at least by not giving them shit for their methods of keeping this place up and running.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Re: How2prevent the shroomery becoming a spammery [Re: Shroomism]
    #8599364 - 07/06/08 12:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not your buddy, guy

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #8599871 - 07/06/08 05:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
Of course Stein! Ranonar I'd like to see you get this kind of browsing experience anywhere else. :grin:
<object width="800" height="604">
<param name="movie" value="/ythan/retarded_batman.swf">
<embed src="/ythan/retarded_batman.swf" width="800" height="604">
</embed>
</object>

The communist ad is a little annoying, but damn, it is much less annoying than this....!?!?    :wtf:    :lol:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
    #8634512 - 07/14/08 05:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You should already know by now that the only reason ythan/thor/3dshroom started the shroomery was to become rich and to fuck camwhores.  Thats why 3d left, he was sick of everyone turning into douchebags when they got rich so he moved on and started his own site.  Theres no ads their either
http://www.sacredshrooms.org/

--------------------

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#8636176 - 07/15/08 01:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
<object width="800" height="604">
<param name="movie" value="/ythan/retarded_batman.swf">
<embed src="/ythan/retarded_batman.swf" width="800" height="604">
</embed>
</object>

damn ythan has special privileges ;0

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules