Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: cactu]
    #8508366 - 06/10/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

man i wanna go out with you one day and hike you have a splendid eye !!:eek:

how long were you there for ????

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: smily]
    #8509954 - 06/11/08 02:37 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Some more Boletus pinophilus

This one was really big.  I gave it away to someone in town.

Found some more Sarcodon.  These were near both Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar so I am not sure which they were growing with.

Sometimes they are obvious

But the nicer ones are under smaller shrumps and are much harder to find

Found this at a much higher elevation, about 5200 ft.  Under douglas fir.

Offlinehaymaker
Mr Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #8510330 - 06/11/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

loving the photos/story.

thankyou very much for sharing, best thing i've read all week

--------------------
"Make hay while the sun shines"
My Trade List

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Loc: Pac Northwest
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8510740 - 06/11/08 10:31 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Did you find any kings? Or were some of those pics young pinophilus?

--------------------
Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but God has died, and those sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful sin, and to esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #8511355 - 06/11/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cactu said:
i don't understand why is not so many actives in those habitat 

Yeah, when I see your photos of Psilocybe growing deep in the woods in Mexico I think "WTF???", since that is so unlikely just a little farther north. 
Does it snow in the forests you hunt actives?  Because Shasta area is under snow for a number of months.  Maybe the cold kills a lot of mycelium of different mushroom species, especially the non-mycorrhizal, where the organism does not reside under ground.
I don't know, just some thoughts.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: Ubermensch]
    #8511454 - 06/11/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Did you find any kings? Or were some of those pics young pinophilus?

I have been calling the pinophilus king boletes, but they don't taste the same as the B. edulis that fruits in the fall.

OfflineLuber
Stranger
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 Spring Kings [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8512139 - 06/11/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hi Mr. Rockefeller, thanks for sharing. You've inspired me to get my butt up there. Tahoe has been DRY! although we did get a few Spring Kings in the Crystal Basin the weekend before last. I think these may be even better than the regular Kings we get in the Fall in the Bay area; the flavor is not quite the same, but it's about the firmest and meatiest mushroom I've found. Not had a butter bolete yet though, and we've been almost totally skunked for morels (did find a few of the Snowbank False Morels, which I cautiously ate a few tastes of). Down near SLT it seems like the snow just mostly evaporated, we had cold dry nights and hot sunny days; where the soil was moist enough for shrooms it was usually too cold still, then it got baked.

I guess the key is to catch an area where the snow melted just a week or two earlier? I'm thinking of coming up over the 4th, would you have any suggestions as to good areas to hunt in that weekend, based on what snow depths you've seen?

Thanks and good hunting - Luber

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 Spring Kings [Re: Luber]
    #8512245 - 06/11/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It's all about elevation.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 Spring Kings [Re: Luber]
    #8513298 - 06/11/08 10:25 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tahoe has been DRY!

You can check http://weather.com to find out how much rain any given area has gotten in the past month.

Quote:

I think these may be even better than the regular Kings we get in the Fall in the Bay area; the flavor is not quite the same, but it's about the firmest and meatiest mushroom I've found.

Yea the texture is excellent.

Quote:

Not had a butter bolete yet though

Those taste even better.

Quote:

and we've been almost totally skunked for morels

Almost none will come up if you don't get any rain when the soil temperature is right.  If its too warm when the rain comes most mycorrhizal mushrooms wait until next year.

Quote:

I guess the key for morels is to catch an area where the snow melted just a week or two earlier?

Yes, that will put you in a spot with the proper soil temperature.

Both boletes and morels only fruit if they have enough moisture and the soil temperature is right.  If there has been no rain they will only be in certain secret spots.  When it rains the morels fruit in 1-2 weeks and boletes a couple days later, both only in the areas that had the correct soil temperature at time of the rain.  Elevation is the biggest factor for determining soil temperature, so when the rains come they will fruit at certain elevations.  At the beginning of the window they fruit in open areas where the soil is warmed by the sun and at the end of the window they fruit in the cool areas right next to the trees and on the darker side of the hill.

Quote:

I'm thinking of coming up over the 4th, would you have any suggestions as to good areas to hunt in that weekend, based on what snow depths you've seen?

You will need to get to a really high level for morels and a medium elevation for boletes.

There are mushroom buyers in Mccloud and Weed, if you tell them that you are a picker they will tell you where they are fruiting.  Also the local mycological society mailing lists get updates pretty often.

Lyophyllum sp.

Not L. descastes, possibly undescribed.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8513521 - 06/11/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Eh, brown bear.  Yep, One of those came through our camp at Medicine Lake last year.  I'll get an air horn and pepper spray.

--------------------

Offlineoronito
Stranger
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 Spring Kings [Re: CureCat]
    #8535017 - 06/17/08 07:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hi Alan,

We went and checked up near Shasta right where you had suggested NE of McCloud. Came away with a couple spring kings (tiny), found a few spots where other folks had hunted out apparently good fruitings, and then stumbled upon a nice 8lb or so path of delicious butter bolete buttons. They were like subterranean potatoes! All the boletes were around 3500 ft (this was the weekend before last). About 500 ft higher we saw some morels which we took as an indication that we had to back down...Your description of the rain/mountain shroom action sounds right on. Our guess is that we showed up just a bit too late after the rain so that even higher up, where we expected there to be more mushrooms, there weren't any...Many thanks for the tips once again and we marked out a few hidden spots to try again next year!

Offlineshroomasaur
Stranger

#8535945 - 06/18/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for sharing Alan!  I envy your trip and many finds.  I don't come across many interesting mushrooms here in northern Illinois, but I do enjoy hunting when I'm in well-forested areas down in central Illinois.

Do you have an expertise in mycology or is only a hobby of yours?  Though I'm fairly new here, I hope to work with mycology in the future and I can already tell that you have a great deal of experience in the field.

Offlinefucktourists
Stranger
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8567956 - 06/26/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Are you fucking crazy?  Why, why, why would you tell the tourists where to go?  As has been said, no self-respecting mushroom hunter reveals their patch.  And as I have said, no self-respecting resident of Siskiyou tells the tourists to come up here.  It's bad enough that all the bay area fucks have invaded, bought all the nice real estate, and turned Mt. Shasta into a snobby, yuppie shithole.  Now you, and others, had to go and tell them where the mushrooms are too.

Last year when I went out past McCloud to the typical spot, it had obviously been hunted through, but there was an abundance of boletus edulis, plenty for all.  This year, right after the first rain, early in the morning, I went out, expecting to be first.  But no!  There were a gang of people from Sacramento with RAKES, raping the land.  As I'm sure you know, raking destroys all mushrooms in the way, and there were obliterated amanitas everywhere. 

So, I am never going down that road again, because it's all fucked.  Eventually, the beautiful boletus will get tired of being raked to death and maybe they will stop fruiting there.  And never, as a self-respecting, siskiyou mycophile, will I reveal my secret spots.

PS: Your unidentifiable "mushrooms" aren't mushrooms at all - it's a group of pine drops - Pterospora andromedea - one of the most common saprophitic plants in our area.

OfflinePaulrus
Man Simplified
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #8567981 - 06/26/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If I saw a scorpion inches from where I was putting my hands, I'd be long gone.  :runaway:

Real nice pics though.

OfflineLuber
Stranger
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: fucktourists]
    #8587861 - 07/02/08 01:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I feel a reply is in order here, even though I'm a newcomer to this board. I thanked Alan privately, and now will do so publicly - thanks Alan, for the tips.  Now to repsond to your points:

Quote:

fucktourists said:
Are you fucking crazy?  Why, why, why would you tell the tourists where to go?  As has been said, no self-respecting mushroom hunter reveals their patch.  And as I have said, no self-respecting resident of Siskiyou tells the tourists to come up here. 

He didn't reveal his secret spots, just told an interested fellow hobby picker the general conditions to help him find his own spots. This whole website seems to be based on that idea. I'll contribute now.

If you come to the Bay Area from Nov.-March, here's where to find chanterelles: in NE-facing drainages on the east side of the coastal hills in oak forests, in deep leaf litter. For those of you used to seeing them standing proud in the PNW or back east, I can tell you it may take you a while to see them here, since they are usually well buried - hence their nickname "California mudpuppies". The cleaning you'll have to do is more than made up for by their huge size. Watch out for poison oak!

NOW - I'll also tell you that this info is good at least from here down to Big Sur, BUT that in SF east bay, picking is banned in all the parks and watershed lands - so if I become friendly with someone on this board and IF they were to come visit, then I might actually show them some of the few legal places to pick I've found - MY SPOTS that is, which I would never post on the internet.

Quote:

It's bad enough that all the bay area fucks have invaded, bought all the nice real estate, and turned Mt. Shasta into a snobby, yuppie shithole. 

Really a separate issue, and while I don't appreciate being characterized that way, let me clue you in on something: as a guy who's worked hard and studied all my life to try and do something useful rather than exploiting others, I dislike the over-monied class you're really referring to here as much as anyone. People of moderate means like myself here in the Bay suffer more than you can know from the extreme division of wealth (ever had a bunch of gang-bangers having a 30-minute gunfight outside your house?). I'll probably never own my own modest home here, much less a second home in Shasta. That said, I love the outdoors and this great state is here for all of us to share. I'm always considerate of nature and local people wherever I go, and try to make friends and leave the place in better shape than I found it.

Quote:

Last year when I went out past McCloud to the typical spot, it had obviously been hunted through, but there was an abundance of boletus edulis, plenty for all.  This year, right after the first rain, early in the morning, I went out, expecting to be first.  But no!  There were a gang of people from Sacramento with RAKES, raping the land.  As I'm sure you know, raking destroys all mushrooms in the way, and there were obliterated amanitas everywhere. 

I don't know who these people supposedly from Sacto where, but I guarantee you every local mycological society I've encountered explicitly tells people not to rake, and gives general guidelines on responsible and sustainable picking. I think the hordes of immigrant commercial pickers are a real menace for the mushrooms and the forests in general, and need to be regulated a lot better - but the Forest Service simply doesn't have the money and manpower to do it as things are.

I feel your pain dude, but I'm not your problem.

P.S. If you actually saw and talked to this group of rakers, you should've talked to them at the time and explained the error of their ways, also found out where they got this idea that it's alright, and lobbied whoever that was to educate their people better. Spouting off about it here ain't likely to help a lot.

Edited by Luber (07/02/08 01:45 PM)

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: Luber]
    #8587888 - 07/02/08 01:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mt. Shasta - 6/3/08 (high bandwidth images) [Re: fucktourists]
    #8588075 - 07/02/08 02:50 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Chill out man. 

There are plenty of mushrooms to go around during season.  Not all "tourists" fuck things up by raking, and I bet some locals rake their spots too, so no need to generalize.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds