Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePIrg
Stranger
Why soak in fridge?
    #8581476 - 06/30/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why is it necessary to dunk in COLD water? Im just wondering because it would greatly simplify things for me if I could soak overnight in a tub hidden in the closet or something of that nature. IS it totally necessary to be refrigerated and why? Ive looked but all I find is the teks not the science behind it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnny.fairplay
StrangerThanFishin
 User Gallery

Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: PIrg]
    #8581487 - 06/30/08 07:14 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I Believe the idea is to keep the temperature down so that bacteria doesn't have a chance to grow that way.

--------------------
My trade thread

Offlinenilla
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: johnny.fairplay]
    #8581500 - 06/30/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Wouldnt bother.

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Why soak in fridge? *DELETED* [Re: johnny.fairplay]
    #8581513 - 06/30/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by 12468

Reason for deletion: -

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: DF DUBS
Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: 12468]
    #8581522 - 06/30/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

12468 said:
I swear I've seen this asked a number of times in other threads. Before you post, there is a caption asking you if you're sure this is a new topic. The reason for that is because people can't seem to figure out how to use the SEARCH FUNCTION.

In five seconds, I found the following thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4342596#4342596

Some of the info is bad, some of it is good. However, the post by scatmanrav should answer your question.

Read, read, read. Very few questions posted on this board are actually new. 95% have been answered and debated at length. Sample a few different threads and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about _______.

Don't be a bitch. It would be ok to suggest using the search. Don't write a f'ing report on it.

--------------------
"I'm sofa king we todd did." ~ Rick James

Offlinenilla
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: HoleSnype]
    #8581574 - 06/30/08 07:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HoleSnype said:
Quote:

12468 said:
I swear I've seen this asked a number of times in other threads. Before you post, there is a caption asking you if you're sure this is a new topic. The reason for that is because people can't seem to figure out how to use the SEARCH FUNCTION.

In five seconds, I found the following thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4342596#4342596

Some of the info is bad, some of it is good. However, the post by scatmanrav should answer your question.

Read, read, read. Very few questions posted on this board are actually new. 95% have been answered and debated at length. Sample a few different threads and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about _______.

Don't be a bitch. It would be ok to suggest using the search. Don't write a f'ing report on it.

AGREED!!
Why be an ass?

OfflineBeastinthepost
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: nilla]
    #8581633 - 06/30/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Honestly, I must not know how to use the search. Whenever I search things I get lots of recent discussions about it but I can never find THE thread about a certain tek or something, just lots of recent threads that with those keywords.

OfflineSef
Warrior of Purgatory
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your computer
    #8581825 - 06/30/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

12468 said:[/b

thats the problem, how on earth does a noob tell whats good and whats bad? The stupid mistakes I made at the beginning due entirely to the old info on the search is amazing.

--------------------
~~~ Your question was probably answered below ~~~
Rye Spawning
50/50+ Casing and Casing
Monotub OR Monotub
When I say *I* in a post, it is simply for ease of posting. I am always, of course, referring to a friend of mine from highschool whom I haven't seen in 15 years.

Offlinedavidcoperfield
magic!
Male

Loc: ohio
Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: Sef]
    #8581835 - 06/30/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

no need to dunk in cold water. Reg temp water is fine. Have had great results with reg temp.

--------------------
If I'm free, it's because I'm always running.
Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: davidcoperfield]
    #8581858 - 06/30/08 09:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I can't really tell a difference. I do almost all of my dunks in the fridge. I hear to many people saying their cakes come out slimy after a room temp dunk. Some say it slows things down. It doesn't for me. I usually get pins in 3 - 5 day either way.

--------------------

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8583553 - 07/01/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, you're right, sorry about being such a giant bitch

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #8583596 - 07/01/08 10:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I just dunked in room temp water and let it sit for 24 hours. Wasn't slimy. Thinks are looking good. I dunked originally in cold water and left in the fridge, and to me it seemed like it didn't suck in as much water as warm water. Either way i rinsed the cakes off after the dunk and rolled in verm. the verm stuck to it soooo much better.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: Kada]
    #8583672 - 07/01/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I dunk mine in the fridge. Kinda as a precaution because i just use tapwater, and some people argue that the 'cold shock' effect can initiate pinning sooner. I don't really know about the whole 'cold shock' thing, but still use the fridge as a convenient area where bacterial growth is inhibited as compared to room temp.

--------------------

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: ray40cal]
    #8583724 - 07/01/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ray40cal said:
I dunk mine in the fridge. Kinda as a precaution because i just use tapwater, and some people argue that the 'cold shock' effect can initiate pinning sooner. I don't really know about the whole 'cold shock' thing, but still use the fridge as a convenient area where bacterial growth is inhibited as compared to room temp.

:thumbup:

I know more people that dunk in the fridge than people that don't. Some argue that it slows down pinning. Some say it speeds it up. Either way, I always get pins in 3 - 5 days. Usually closer to 3.

Cold shocking was rules ineffective a long time ago. I dunk for bacterial reasons like most do. I read a lot of people's cakes come out of a room temp dunk slimy.

I've already read one of Roger's post saying that it wasn't that big of a deal and it could be rinsed off.

I personally try to eliminate any bacterial nonsense and don't want to take the chance. I've never heard of a cake coming out of a fridge dunk slimy.

--------------------

OfflinePIrg
Stranger
    #8586816 - 07/02/08 05:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys,
Thats exactly why i posted. Quick conscise answers instead of hours of searching fruitless keyword results. (which i did search)
So could I, should I, take my 1pt cakes that are blue as hell and produced only a few shroomies, and perhaps use the Nilla tek and cut them in half, scrape hell out of em, and soakem for better results. These are cakes that were in the old FC and are now in the shotgun FC. They each produced a fruit or two but now are in need of some rehydration badly.
  BTW the cakes that I dunked and rolled are covered in Fatass Pins now! Shotgun tek rules! Too bad ive got 5 cakes that just sit there and look bad.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: Why soak in fridge? [Re: PIrg]
    #8587272 - 07/02/08 10:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'd definitely dunk the blue cakes for at least 24 hours. Blue usually = bruising or dehydrated cake. Use a fridge if you can, just because it tends to keep things fresher than leaving them out in the open. put a lid on your pot that you dunk the cakes in. after you've dunked them, rinse and roll in verm, then mist after an hour to dampen the verm. I like to place the dunked/rolled cakes in a larger jar lid with damp vermiculite around them, it seems to make fatter shrooms than cakes just sitting on foil. Plus it holds moisture for them. I've gotten 3 grams dried on 2nd flush of a 4oz (.25pint) cake that way. I don't know much about the nilla tek, read the post and saw some massive fruits though.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale