Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1:20h)
    #8585077 - 07/01/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Let the good Doctor explain you why the world as we know it will come to an end within our lifetime, in fact why it has to, using simple Arithmetic you can apply on data you can check out for yourself.

This is no tin foil hat stuff, the professor has been giving this lecture since 1969, adding new data when it became available over the years. For 39 years to this day the professor has been touring the countries universities with the same message, and almost four decades did nothing but prove him right.

The first part is a bit dry, but soon it all comes together.

Transcript of the lecture is attached to this post as a PDF

Dr. Albert A. Bartlett's presentation on "Arithmetic, Population, and Energy."

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

PART 6

PART 7

PART 8

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (07/22/08 01:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Asante]
    #8585109 - 07/01/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Before I watch this, tell me: will these videos completely crush any chance of lasting happiness my pitiful life might hold in the future? :sad:
Or will they give us all a legitimate reason to get stupid and burn stuff? :uptosomething:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Cameron]
    #8585122 - 07/01/08 06:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It depends on the person you are really.

The party has gone on for decades but the first guests are leaving already. Its up to you whether you choose to get hammered, or sober up a bit, before the long walk home.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinemilkman
DeliveringWorldWide
Male User Gallery

Loc: tha FLA
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Asante]
    #8585240 - 07/01/08 07:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hard to think of that actually happening

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: milkman]
    #8585383 - 07/01/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hard to imagine isn't it?  But the arithmetic checks out, and he has his facts right.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
    #8585394 - 07/01/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I've got 8 and 9 left to watch, but this is a great lecture. I've had a lot of the same arguments or a while, but I'm from an energy industry area, and they all believe that there's and endless supply to be found somewhere. Kinda like blowing all you're money cuz you know you're gonna hit the lottery.

Very enjoyable and thanks for sharing. I'll finish the rest when I get home from the gym.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: whattheheck]
    #8585500 - 07/01/08 08:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

great videos.  but i must ask, is oil the ONLY source of energy.  i know other ways such as wind, solar, nuclear, etc may not be as common as oil, but if we are approaching the downhill side of the curve, don't you think its time to start and honest effort into other sources of energy.

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: norml840]
    #8585505 - 07/01/08 08:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

and i'm all for population control.  i like my space.

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #8585685 - 07/01/08 08:53 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Finished it. That's a pretty convincing, and ridiculously simple, argument for oil depletion within our lifetimes (or very near that). Some of those 'experts' he quoted had me going. :lol:

So... how's that Cold Aneutronic Deuterium Fusion thing coming along...? :waits:

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Cameron]
    #8586705 - 07/02/08 03:39 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Be honest with yourself. Where are you?
Peak oil
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (07/02/08 03:39 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: koppie]
    #8586717 - 07/02/08 03:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So far Helium-3 is our best, and possibly only hope for any kind of a progressive future. It is extremely scarce on earth, but the moon has tons of it. However it would require allot of mining and processing to take place on the moon. The russians are already have plans for a lunar base for exactly this reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-3

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8586812 - 07/02/08 05:39 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, and I think the Chinese have a plan for a lunar base for a similar reason.

Though He-3 fusion isn't possible at the moment. Until the Polywell works, there's not much point mining the moon... in the mean time, pebble bed breeders are a pretty good solution.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: norml840]
    #8586848 - 07/02/08 06:13 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

>  but i must ask, is oil the ONLY source of energy.

In an odd sort of way, yes.  Obviously there are other sources of energy; however, since the days of Rockefeller's monopoly, the world has been conditioned to see oil as the only viable energy source.  Just as the tobacco industry doesn't want Cannabis to become a popular alternative to tobacco, the oil industry doesn't want any other form of energy to become a popular alternative to oil.

If the US put all of the money that has been wasted on Iraq into fusion research, I have no doubt that energy from oil would soon be a thing of the past.  Unfortunately, the ruling elite depend upon expensive energy to maintain their power.  Energy from fusion would undermine their power base, thus we will never see it happen.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Seuss]
    #8586910 - 07/02/08 07:12 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Big Oil has invested in alternative energy sources, namely ethanol fuel, which is the reason why corn prices have skyrocketed along with the price of food overall, globally.

One would think that if the oil companies really thought oil was running out, exponentially or not, that they WOULD already be investing in fusion energies or something else.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8586925 - 07/02/08 07:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I reckon in a few years Nanosolar will be the target of a bidding war by the oil companies. They'll all want a piece of the solar pie, and Nanosolar have the tastiest pie of all.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #8586967 - 07/02/08 07:56 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Big Oil has invested in alternative energy sources, namely ethanol fuel, which is the reason why corn prices have skyrocketed along with the price of food overall, globally.

Thats one of the biggest atrocities of all, bio-ethanol in its current form.

Millions of people this year will DIE because of bio-ethanol, because it drove world food prices so far up already.

You make bio-ethanol from corn STALKS, not from the CORN you bastards because we need to eat the corn. Or rather, the world's poor need to.

Like the professor showed us, the average American uses 8 liters of gasoline a day. In terms of free ethanol that means 80.000 kcal. Lets say we can get the ethanol really "cheap", far cheaper than in reality. That would mean the cost would be 120.000 kcal.

In an all-corn ethanol economy, the average American burns 120.000 kcal a day. The maximum amount of starvation you can put a person through without dying is about 1.200 kcal a day.

That means that in an all-corn ethanol economy 100 third-worlders will be kept FUCKING STARVING for every American to get his 12 liters of ethanol. And that number isn't sustainable. That means people will DIE in the third world because of your ethanol car.

Green my ass, its red - red with blood.

Don't take part in the ethanol fraud now. If you drive ethanol now, you take part in the genocide on the poor. You are burning the corn the starving people need to eat. That is the way it is. No mitigating that.

Wind turbines.

In most places of the world they cost more energy to set up than they will generate during their lifetime. Its a big fucking fraud.

Our major hopes for the future:

CHEAP SOLAR You can no longer buy roofing tiles without solar installed in them. The electricity generated by them is fed onto the electricity grid so the powerplants can take energy production down a notch

NUCLEAR FISSION Efficient breeder reactors that burn Uranium 235 and Plutonium 239, and with it convert depleted Uranium 238 into fissile Plutonium 239. Lean clean nuclear power thats highly fuel efficient.

NUCLEAR FUSION The energy of the future. First DT fusion, then the DD fusion that will set us free, then D3He fusion for more raw power and ultimately 3He3He aneutronic fusion on earth and colonies and D3He/DD fusion in space.

But all this will mean nothing if we don't reach goals of

ENDING EXPANSIVE GROWTH of our use of natural resources and we can ultimately only do so by

DRASTIC POPULATION CONTROL which might be peaceful but in all probability will be cataclysmic and terrible.

Its scary arithmatic: if 100 million Americans were to vanish, the 6 billion people on this earth would only use HALF the resources they do today.

Think about the cruel nature of mankind, on how we solve things. Think of our sociopathic leaders. How will this population reduction be accomplished? Will there be birth control, or will they just genetically engineer some virus or bacterium and unleash it on our species? War cannot do it. Even a world war isn't lethal enough by far to reduce the population by a large enough factor. Some sort of worldwide holocaust would run into logistic problems quite fast.

They will genetically engineer some killer bug and nine out of ten people on the world will DIE, thats what will happen. Maybe they already have a most lethal version of birdflu ready made on the shelf, awaiting use to be readied enough by the media to unleash it on us.

They are going to fucking kill us off, that's what they'll do.

Sorry to be so pessimistic.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (07/02/08 08:00 AM)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1:20h) [Re: Asante]
    #8587120 - 07/02/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Just read something on all this, today...

The End Of Civilization

Very good article...kind of puts the last 7 years or so into perspective.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Population explosion, peak oil, energy crisis, economic collapse... A must-see video lecture (1: [Re: trendal]
    #8587212 - 07/02/08 10:11 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Indeed, good article. Pretty grim scenario though.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8587256 - 07/02/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Edited by blewmeanie (12/10/08 07:28 AM)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #8587282 - 07/02/08 10:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

For this civilization, sure :smirk:

I happen to know, for a fact, that hard times breed the greatest of all moments (the grimmest, too). Necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. Well, necessity may become a much harder task master!

I can't tell you how excited I am. To be living right now is the greatest of all gifts (even if it is a mathematical probability). What we are seeing now, and will see, has not occurred on this planet for 1500 years.

I don't know if I'll survive or not, but it will be a blast on the way down!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals