Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Wesley Clark Is Right
    #8582536 - 07/01/08 12:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I hear the teevee talking heads are in a tizzy this morning about a remark made by Gen. Wesley Clark in an interview. Gen. Clark said that riding in a fighter plane and getting shot down is not a qualification to be president. He's absolutely right about that and that's not an attack. It's a simple statement of fact.

As Clark also said, we can certainly honor his service as a prisoner of war and as a nation we should be grateful to McCain for fighting in that war, just as we should cherish and honor the 58,000 who didn't get captured and died on the battlefields. But spending five years in a cage in the jungle, where McCain himself admits he received preferential treatment because of his father's status as an admiral, is hardly preparation for the kind of decisions that must be made by a president.

Furthermore, if we're to judge McCain by his military service, then shouldn't it be material that he graduated from the military academy at almost the very bottom of his class and he left the service and went into politics instead, when it became clear that he would never be promoted to admiral because his superiors judged he just didn't have what it takes to be a leader?

If he wasn't fit for a high ranking military command, why on earth should "his record" be used as a credential to prove his fitness for the highest office in our nation? If anything, it proves the opposite.

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/politicsblog/index.cfm

Did anyone else know he graduated low in his class? Anyone know where to verify this?

Seems like that is somewhat of a big dealwhen your running on your military experience.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: dill705]
    #8582994 - 07/01/08 04:38 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I have no love for McCain, but the above is pretty lame and very slippery propaganda...

Lemme see if I can phrase it such that the propaganda part becomes evident:

Quote:

Being a bad soldier does not qualify somebody for president.  McCain was so bad, that he was shot down and taken as a POW.  What a loser.  He can't even keep a plane in the air, how do you expect him to run a country?

We can certainly honor his service to his country, sitting in a cage while his fellow soldiers gave their lives for freedom, but we should also honor the 58,000 soldiers that managed to fight, rather than giving up and allowing themselves to be captured.  The enemy treated McCain with love and respect, while they tortured him, because his father was an admiral.  Hardly the kind of preparation that produces a good president.

Furthermore, did you know McCain is stupid like Bush?  McCain graduated low in his class, like Bush.  McCain went to an ivy league military academy, just like Bush, well, almost.  Do you really want another almost like Bush in office?

Although McCain left the service after figuring out a clever way to avoid combat during the war, (like Bush).  Had he stayed, we would have fired him because he was a worthless soldier that had no leadership skills and would never have been promoted.  Unable to hack the military, he left in disgrace and became a corrupt politician.

He wasn't fit to be in the military.  He wasn't fit to be a POW.  He is just like Bush, stupid, slow, low in his class, riding his fathers coattails, and a military failure.  His record speaks for itself.  He rolls over and lets the enemy capture him, then runs away from the military to hide in congress.  Is this the kind of "leader" we want running the country?

Lemme guess... Clark is a lifelong Democrat?  Looking him up... wow, he went to Oxford and graduated with a degree in Philosophy (bullshitting).  He endorsed the Clintons (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/15/AR2007091500788.html) and is being considered to run as Obama's vice president.  Not what I would consider unbiased.

How much military experience does Obama have again?  How many years did Obama serve in the military, risking his life to protect the constitution?

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: Seuss]
    #8583397 - 07/01/08 09:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That quote wasn't from Clark, but from a blog on Detroit news .com or some shit.

I see how it's skewed, and never claimed it to not be. All I wanted to know is if the information is true.

There's nothing wrong with getting to know your candidates.;)

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #8583599 - 07/01/08 10:46 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
How much military experience does Obama have again?  How many years did Obama serve in the military, risking his life to protect the constitution?

Does it matter? No, no, not really at all... How could it be substantiated, anyways, what someone was risking their life for?

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibledanknugz81
spiralingdownward
Male

#8583620 - 07/01/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

wait, so the vietnam war was about protecting our constitution? :eek:

i'm not knocking mccain's service, but cmon now..

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: danknugz81]
    #8583663 - 07/01/08 11:04 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah really... Vietnam was one of the worst tragedies America has been part of. It has nothing to do with the Constitution and everything to do with America's imperial agenda. So he got shot down in a controversial war that killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people, and that's supposed to be honorable? To me he was a pawn to his masters. Sure he was brave, but how brave do you have to be to kill innocent people by dropping bombs from a plane? He was so brave when he killed those innocent people from a a couple thousand feet up and then got shot down... Not trying to downplay his service and I know people will get upset by this but lets get real. And Obama is against war and hasn't faught in one so he's not qualified?

Edited by Rebirtha (07/01/08 11:19 AM)

InvisibleJRayV
former guy on couch
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: l Flag
Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: Rebirtha]
    #8584153 - 07/01/08 01:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Was it Vietnam or the Korean War?

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: JRayV]
    #8584172 - 07/01/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #8584520 - 07/01/08 03:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

nodody is disputing that hes right..but whether clark is being politically prudent is a different story altogether...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: Annapurna1]
    #8584627 - 07/01/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Just what, exactly, is Wesley Clark right about?

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8584660 - 07/01/08 04:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Just what, exactly, is Wesley Clark right about?

McCain's war experience does not give him a higher qualification for President than Obama.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: downforpot]
    #8584964 - 07/01/08 05:39 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

OK.  He's wrong.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: Annapurna1]
    #8584971 - 07/01/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I think what he said is absolutely fine, he even said that he doesn't want to downplay his military service or patriotism.

How can you be any more prudent while still making your point, which is a completely valid point?

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8584976 - 07/01/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

What was the point?

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8584982 - 07/01/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
OK.  He's wrong.

I'd like proof showing that presidents who were members of th armed forces are more prepared to be president than those who are not. Nobody is an expert in everything; McCain himself admitted he's not very knowledgeable about the economy. That is what the cabinet is for.

I'll be waiting for that proof.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: Redstorm]
    #8584987 - 07/01/08 05:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

As shall I.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8584995 - 07/01/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I think it is helpful and relevant.  I do not think it is a sine qua non, but it is definitely helpful.  Proof?  Don't be daft.  Fuckface Clark made a statement.  Let him prove his.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8585000 - 07/01/08 05:51 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

As did you.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8587065 - 07/02/08 09:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> wait, so the vietnam war was about protecting our constitution? :eek:

Where the &#$% did Vietnam war come from?  When you join the US military, you risk your life to protect the US constitution.  This is the job description and the first line of the oath taken when you join up, "I do solemnly wear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United State against all enemies, foreign and domestic".

Don't confuse the politicians use of war as a statement towards the soldiers that are giving their lives.

If McCain were drafted, rather than signing up, then I would have no point.  However, that was not the case.  He volunteered, thus he willingly joined the military knowing that his life may be sacrificed to protect the US Constitution.

General Clark wants to belittle this sacrifice in order to further his own petty political ambitions.  He should be ashamed.

And my questions still stand, though nicely avoided through a change of topic... Asking again, "How much military experience does Obama have again?  How many years did Obama serve in the military, risking his life to protect the constitution?"

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #8587086 - 07/02/08 09:10 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> I'd like proof showing that presidents who were members of th armed forces are more prepared to be president than those who are not.

For me, the above isn't the point...

McCain volunteered for military service to protect his country.  Ron Paul volunteered for military service to protect his country.  Jimmy Carter volunteered for military service.  In my mind, all of these have more honor than somebody like John Edwards, Barak Obama, or Bill Clinton who all managed to avoid military service.  (Don't get me started on George W... :mad:)

Finally, it is General Clark that is making the claim that military service is somehow important towards being president.  It is General Clark that is claiming that McCain's military service reflects poorly on his ability to be president.

My argument is that General Clark is wrong... and that if General Clark is correct, then poor military service is better than no military service.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8588209 - 07/02/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

My argument is that General Clark is wrong... and that if General Clark is correct, then poor military service is better than no military service.

Maybe he's trying to make his own case for Veep, the incredible whore.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8588239 - 07/02/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Way to ignore the replies directed towards you Zap :nonono:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8588450 - 07/02/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Not being the narcissist that you are, what specifically are you talking about?  I thought Seuss (I think it was him) said it well.  Clarke is a partisan blowhole who I refuted with exactly as much substance as he produced.  This is not real high on my list.

I think McCain's time on the Armed Services Committee (ranking minority member) might be of use as well.  Wesley Clarke's and Barack Obama's service on that committee?  Not so much.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8588505 - 07/02/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Having any experience in the military, while welcome, isn't needed. Sound judgement is needed, while the military background can come from the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Pentagon.

I do feel that if McCain was held back from an advancing to a leadership position, that may have some bearing on the election if it becomes widely known.

And really don't remember or care about what your ignoring, just that you seem to disregard others when it is expedient for you, which leads me to believe that you are just a partisan blowhole with no substance, to use the words you reserved for General Clarke. Hence, why you provided "as much substance as he produced."

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8588567 - 07/02/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I cannot possibly be expected to respond to every liberal retard who posts nor should you regard my failure to do so to somehow be an acquiescence to the moronic positions of any posts I do not respond to.  Life is too short and too precious and time at too much of a premium to counter every idiot thing written here.  I may reserve extra time for YOU, though, if you like.:cool:

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8588665 - 07/02/08 06:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the blessing :tongue2:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8588712 - 07/02/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This National Reviewer seems to concur.  She adds some other thoughts, though.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzU4NzNmNzY2ZjQ3MWMxODJiZjRiYjk4YTMzY2VmOTg=

Quote:

McCain isn’t a hero because he was tortured. He’s a hero because he declined an offer by his captors to be released, refusing to leave his fellow Americans behind.

It may not take much effort to get shot down, but it must take a considerable act of will to consign oneself to more deprivation and torture. It must take a level of courage unknown to most to place concern for others above one’s own interest.

#ad#Surely self-sacrifice, courage and loyalty figure somewhere in the calculus for selecting a president.

We can make no similar analysis of Obama, since he hasn’t fought in any wars in his lifetime. But we have been given a glimpse at how Obama responds to external pressures and where he draws the line on loyalty and self-sacrifice. When it comes to family and friends, it seems Obama is first a survivalist.

A few months ago, when the Rev. Jeremiah Wright first came to national attention, Obama was nearly demure when he said: “I can no more disown (Wright) than I can disown my white grandmother.”

He may not have disowned his white grandmother, but Obama didn’t exactly paint a sympathetic — or loving — portrait of her either. He essentially threw her under the bus, saying that she had made racist remarks while he was growing up, a statement that served only to highlight Obama’s own remarkable transcendence.

After several weeks of balancing his professed love for Wright with the controversial statements of his chosen father figure and spiritual mentor, Obama eventually left his church of 20 years. But why then, after all those years, did Obama finally find the door?

What changed was the degree of his self-interest. As long as Wright was helping Obama burnish his bona fides within the African-American community, it didn’t matter that the minister’s rhetorical flights of fancy bordered on paranoid, racist delusion. Only when Wright became a potential obstacle to Obama’s ambition — by saying that Obama was simply behaving as a politician — did Obama show Wright the underside of that very busy bus.

Clark is right that getting shot down doesn’t qualify one to be commander-in-chief. But it is relevant to wonder with whom one would rather share a foxhole.

— Kathleen Parker is a syndicated columnist and author of Save the Males: Why Men Matter; Why Women Should Care.

Nuance.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8588750 - 07/02/08 06:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Clark is right that getting shot down doesn’t qualify one to be commander-in-chief.

Which is what this thread is about.

Thank you, have a nice day :dancingshroom:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8588791 - 07/02/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

As I said earlier, it  in itself neither qualifies you nor disqualifies you.  Other things peripheral to that  might be relevant, though.  Nuance.

--------------------

Edited by zappaisgod (07/02/08 06:47 PM)

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8588803 - 07/02/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, I agree. Giving of himself for his fellow detainees is quite great. Running on your military experience when you were denied advancement into leadership positions = Epic Fail.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#8588914 - 07/02/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't heard one single example of John McCain running on his military experience.  Unlike John "I served in Vietnam until I could get out" Kerry.  More nuance for the nuance deprived:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/07/020887.php

Quote:

I think some of the criticism of Clark has been overblown; he always repeats that he respects and admires McCain, but doesn't think he has the judgment or executive experience needed to be President. This afternoon on CNN, John Roberts pointed out the most glaring contradiction in Clark's theory of military experience: his enthusiastic endorsement of John Kerry, whose strategic command experience was nowhere near McCain's. Here was the exchange:

ROBERTS: But when it comes to that same type of qualification, you were very robustly behind John Kerry's military experience...

CLARK: Absolutely.

ROBERTS: ... in your speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, where you talked about his experience of being there under mortar fire.

CLARK: Right.

ROBERTS: And let's listen to the way that you summed that up.

CLARK: Right.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

CLARK: John Kerry's combination of physical courage and moral values is my definition of what we need as Americans in our commander in chief.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

ROBERTS: So, you said it's what we need in a commander in chief. And I'm wondering how different was John McCain's experience from John Kerry's?

CLARK: Well, a lot, because John McCain basically served honorably and well in uniform. He did everything the country could have asked.

What John Kerry did is John Kerry got out of the uniform. He took a judgment, a judgment I didn't agree with at the time, but he had the moral courage to stand up for himself and oppose the conflict in Vietnam.

ROBERTS: But where was the executive experience that you talked about?

CLARK: The executive experience wasn't the issue there, because John Kerry wasn't claiming that he had some special executive experience on national security against George Bush.

So Kerry's military experience was better than McCain's because after serving for four months in Vietnam, he returned to the U.S. and falsely accused his fellow servicemen of being war criminals. I think it's time for Wesley Clark to be ushered quietly off the stage.

--------------------

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8589125 - 07/02/08 08:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, you can say that he was wrong about Kerry, but that doesn't mean he's wrong now.

Which he isn't.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
    #8589572 - 07/02/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
This National Reviewer seems to concur.  She adds some other thoughts, though.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzU4NzNmNzY2ZjQ3MWMxODJiZjRiYjk4YTMzY2VmOTg=

Quote:

McCain isn't a hero because he was tortured. He's a hero because he declined an offer by his captors to be released, refusing to leave his fellow Americans behind.

It may not take much effort to get shot down, but it must take a considerable act of will to consign oneself to more deprivation and torture. It must take a level of courage unknown to most to place concern for others above one%u2019s own interest.

Quote:

dill705 said:
Quote:

Clark is right that getting shot down doesn%u2019t qualify one to be commander-in-chief.

Which is what this thread is about.

Thank you, have a nice day 

As incredibly uncomfortable as it makes me, I am afraid that I have to agree with zappa on this point.  Dill, if the extent of your stance on Clark's comments is that getting shot down doesn't qualify him for president, totally disregarding the insinuation inherent in those statements, how can anyone take seriously any criticism you may have of their opinions? 

I am fairly certain that McCain is NOT basing his campaign on the fact that he got shot down.  He is basing his claims of national security experience on his commission as an officer in the Navy after graduating from Annapolis (5th from the bottom); command of several units, one of which was awarded it's first Meritorious Unit Commendation while under his command; his retirement as a Captain (O/6) after 22 years in the Navy; his 3 terms in the House; 20 years in the Senate, where he sat on the Senate Select Committee on POW/MIA Affairs, and the Armed Services Committee where he is the ranking Republican.

Thank you, Wikipedia!

Anyway, back to a position I feel much more comfortable in...

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I haven't heard one single example of John McCain running on his military experience.

Are you totally insane? Not one example, huh?  Well, here are five.  It took me literally one minute to find them.  There are more..  MANY more.

http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/News/NewsReleases/25d663a0-612f-45c2-be40-bd0f6b9bfc36.htm
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/NewsReleases/Read.aspx?guid=ea2ce00e-baab-409c-ada2-57c35ea815ac
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2007-04-25-mccain_N.htm
http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007/12/20//news/local/doc4769fffe9303a091579753.txt
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0704260017apr26,1,5918888.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

I have absolutely no idea how you can make a statement like that and actually expect people to not erupt with laughter right in your face.  His entire campaign is based almost solely on his military and National defense record.  The levels you are willing to sink to are unfathomable.  At least try to maintain a semblance of sanity when you type.  It's just too hard to read the boards when I am laughing so hard.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Wesley Clark Is Right [Re: thedefone]
    #8589591 - 07/02/08 10:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If you didn't realize I was quoting an article Zap put up to refute me.

And my claim is that military experience alone, especially military experience where you were denied higher leadership positions, does not make one qualified for president.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

InvisibleDieCommie

#8589650 - 07/02/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

And my claim is that military experience alone, especially military experience where you were denied higher leadership positions, does not make one qualified for president.

No shit.  Thats not your claim, that a normal thing most people think.  Qualification for president requires a whole host of experiences.  Military is but one experience of many that may contribute to qualification for president.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order