Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: Different kinds of terraniums (home made)
    #85808 - 05/22/00 08:09 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

haha!
moe.. you have no idea how simmilar that is to an idea I had..
i have a few old computers.. including an old macintosh.. OLD mac..
you know the ones, the all in one box II and that type.. well im gonna make it into a "think different" terrarium.. if you get my drift..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
Re: Different kinds of terraniums (home made) [Re: DinoMyc]
    #85812 - 05/26/00 04:55 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Moe nice signature!

Offlinevts1134
    #85813 - 05/28/00 11:36 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

This isn't one that you could "dress up" but I had to post this somewhere. I just spent the last three days cleaning a kitchen which included a dozen or so fridges. Well they were unpluged for a while and I don't know if any of you have ever had the pleasure of opening a fridge that has been unpluged for a while but it is an experience. Any way I think that it is an ideal terrium, hell it even has a light on the top. So if you find an old fridge that doesn't work give it a try and post results.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #85814 - 05/28/00 03:49 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

An old fridge would be Pirfect for certain low temp strains.. definate possabilies..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Anonymous

#85815 - 05/28/00 04:41 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I don't remember if I saw it in a post or on a website, but old refrigerators make fantastic incubators. It can be heated either with a lightbulb or an aquarium heater in a tall glass bottle of water. If I can clear some space in the garage I may try this. It would make a nice way to incubate large trays of compost.

------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird get wired.

Anonymous

#85816 - 05/28/00 04:49 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

While it is far from attractive, I made a nice fruiting chamber out of a 30 gallon Sterilite plastic tote. I slightly modified the setup for the Hawk Tank on Ryche Hawk's site. It is very easy to drill a couple of holes to allow the inlet of air from a small aquarium pump and a couple on the other side to allow the co2 to vent. The totes have tight fitting lids, so I cut a square hole in the lid and draped some plastic dropcloth over the top and snapped the top back down over the plastic. It makes a nice tight seal, and I retained the piece I cut out of the top to use to block out the light until I am ready to initiate pinning. I put some perlite and water in the bottom for humidity, and it seems to be working like a charm.

------------------

Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
    #85817 - 05/28/00 04:53 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

30 gallon? That's a hell of a "tote"!

Anonymous

#85818 - 05/29/00 08:10 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

They come even larger than that, but they were out when I went to buy it. I got the smaller one for the same discount. Storage bin is probably a more accurate term for it. As I recall, it was under $15. Try to find a glass aquarium for that price.

------------------

Anonymous

#85819 - 06/01/00 12:36 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Mo,

I found the perfect thing! My grandparents had one of those old 50's style terraniums. You know - an egg-like dome that sits on top of a stand. The dome comes apart in the middle like those plastic easter eggs and has a small opening at the top 8 inches across. I spray painted the thing Black, and then got white paint and did a yin/yang on it (keeping a small area on top clear for light). I made the yin/yang mathematically perfect (actually did some formula's to calculte arcs).

I took a water jug (water cooler type), sawed off the top spout so that there was a straight, wide base (for H20 drip) to put the dome on. I placed the dome upside down so that the small opening was placed down - on top of the h20 jug. I drilled a small hole on the top of the dome for the vinyl tube - humidifier. I went out and bought a circular grill-top and opened the dome, placed it in for the base where cakes/casings sit. I then scratched my head thinking the terraniums small opening on the bottom was about 8 inches across! That will decrease trapped humidity! I looked around and found the top of the water jug a had sawed off. It looked like an oversized funnel. Placed that upside down into the small opening - and BINGO - a small 2 inch drip hole.

So in summary, I had a circle dome on a sawed water jug, with the top of the jug inside the dome, pointed down - with the grill top above it. I glue gunned a circle drip sheild into the top half of the dome, and viola - perfect terranium! A rounded or circular shape makes for better drip & drainage.

The best part of it is that you cannot see inside it and no one has any idea what it is because you cannot see the crack in the middle of the dome to take it apart! It looks like a piece of artwork - a spherical yin/yang. And lets face it brother shroomers, we are strange and unique enough for people to see something like this and dismiss it as art or something strange and not give it a second thought!

These things are common. Both grandparents of mine had one! Yard sales, possibly ebay may have something like this. I also considered the damn water jug! Throw it on its side. If one were to cut a small opening on the side and construct a hinge to enable putting things in and out and a drip sheild - you can put a tube right into the spout on the side! It would be good for say 3-4 cakes - good for your own stuff!

Anonymous

#85820 - 06/01/00 01:55 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

It may seem a bit conservative in comparison, but I got a glass fish bowl for fruiting Panellus stipticus (glowing mushrooms) if I have any luck growing them. I figured I could keep them in my computer room, or in various places around the house as natural nightlights. Now that should be just about weird enough. :cool:

------------------
"It never got weird enough for me."

Offlinelares
    #85821 - 06/20/00 11:07 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I believe Workman has the old-fridge tek on his site. Always thought it sounded like a very elegant solution. In fact, one of these with temperature kept constant by a heated-water warmer would be perfect for colonizing jars. And those racks just yell for more jars.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

InvisibleZeus
addict

#85822 - 06/21/00 08:36 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

WOW LOSLOR post a pic
and space farmer wherd u get glowies they sound coo!!

--------------------
" I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am. "

"Experience is the meaning to life" -me

OfflineFried Brains
    #85823 - 06/22/00 02:57 PM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Lets start a pictures of different terriaums (sp ? ) thread !

Anonymous

#85825 - 06/26/00 07:56 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry, Zeus. I have been out of town for a couple of weeks. Apparently the common name is Fox Fire. They are outlined in another thread. The latin name is Panellus stipticus. I ordered from the SporeWorks. He does not list them in his inventory, but he responded to a post here telling me I could order a mycelium syringe from him. I had never ordered from Workman before, but I probably will in the future. He is an incredibly nice guy, and delivery was blindingly fast. Drop him a line and ask about it. The syringe he sent me was so thick with mycelium, I could probably make about 20 syringes from it. :biggrin:

------------------
"I have wiped entire civilizations off of my chest with a grey gymsock!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract