Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: jayson]
    #851849 - 08/29/02 06:03 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Why not just truncate and be satisfied.

"To Be"

Everything lies in your own definitions.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
    #852566 - 08/30/02 04:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

To be religious is to follow some one else's path.
To be spiritual is to follow your own path.

you can't seperate the two. do you even know the meaning of the word religion? try looking it up in something bigger than a pocket dictionary.
religion is an expression of ones spirituality. it is a system of beliefs that one follows that says, "this is what i believe"
and if you happen to make all those things up and there's no "system" as others would see it? if it happens to be chaotic? out of chaos comes order my friend.
but like i've said before, i tried doing it myself, and relized that everythings been done before, so no matter how you choos to worship your "God"...somebody else has already done it. everything is reincarnated. time itself is a wheel. a wheel with seven ages. one age goes to history, then in turn goes to legend, then goes to myth, and then is forgotten...by the time the age comes back around, it has been long long forgotten. our very souls are reincarnated...jesus told everybody openly that john the baptist was elijah. there are many places reincarnation is supported in scripture. it was a fundamental part of judaism, and there is no reason that should be any different just because the new covenant came about with jesus dieing on the cross to replace the need for lambs to be slaughtered.
it's in ecclesiastes. the first two chapters are all about it.
you will never express your own way, because it was originally some one elses way. all roads lead to rome...and all roads lead to christ. every religion is NOT the same...but they are all related...and anyone who is enlightened in their own religion will realize...God IS. and the only religion who ever had that revealed to them at large...were the jews...and all their prophesies point to...the christians...the new covenant....and christians are taught...to love and accept all into the folds of Christ's love.
any who don't are not christians.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinejayson
earthling
Male
Loc: Vic Australia
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #853768 - 08/30/02 05:21 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to whiterastahippie
Firstly i'd like to say that I mean no disrespect to anyone, i'm only stating an opinion.
The encyclopedia britannica 2001 basically says that, religion consists of a persons relationship to god, or gods, or spirits. "Spirits not spirituality". It goes on to say that, right belief, participation in religious institutions, and religious life as commanded by religious scriptures and sages, constitutes religion. As far as spirituality goes it seems to be considered an outcome of religion.
The way I see it though religion is an outcome of spirituality, not the other way round. Without thinking spiritually, how can there be any concept of religion?
You seem to agree with me on this? You also seem to agree that you can create your own belief system? But you then go on to state your belief in the concept put forth in ecclesiastes. I read the first two chapters, and to me there saying that nothing really matters. If this where true, then there would be no need for life.
Religious institutions have much to offer, but they are basically that istitutions, built upon someone else's ideas. One common theme being that they, and only they are the keepers of the path. Their way is the only way. They command that you conform to their belief system. (Command as stated in the encyclopedia.)
The basic diferance between the two is that spirituality allows freedom of thought, freedom to change your ideas. All a belief is, is an idea, a concept of reality. By taking into account all that you can manage to incorporate into your personal concept of life, manipulating and continuing to build upon that concept. You are in a sense creating your own reality. Evolving.
We're all individuals, and have individual paths. One size does not fit all.
Well that's the way I see it anyway.

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#857921 - 09/01/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

man, lemme tell you waht sucks about working so har on weekends...i can't respond to posts for days at a time sometimes....anyway.

hey dude, there is a big difference between an encyclopedia britannica and a dictionary.
here's what's websters college dictionary says; (and only some of what is says because i've typed it ALL up before, and i really don't feel like doin' it again....sorry bro :crazy:) belief in divine or superhuman powers to be obeyed and worshipped as creators and rulers; expression of such a beliefe in cinduct and ritual.
any specific system of beliefs or worship , often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy.
any system or beliefs, practices, ethical values, ect. resembling, likened too, or suggestive of such a system.
any object of conscientious regard or pursuit.

(shrug) take it how you will, i've already stated how i take it braa. i think neither is an outcome of either...it's like the yin yang. never ending. true balance. you can't have one fully and truley without the other.

But you then go on to state your belief in the concept put forth in ecclesiastes. I read the first two chapters, and to me there saying that nothing really matters. If this where true, then there would be no need for life

dude...i'm not sure what you got out of what i said...i was just saying one of the places reincarnation was supported by scripture. especially where it says, "nothing that happens will be remembered...." we OBVIOUSLY remember what happens, we have history, but if you look at the deeper meaning...it's talking about past lives. you don't remember those....not most the time. and everything that has already happened.
see i even think that the genesis creation story was just symbolic for the wheel of time. with the seven days being the seven ages. every so often, amn gets so bad we dstroy ourselves through war an hate...and then it has to start over perfect and clean...and then it progresses on...and so on and so forth...that's not the topic (i'm just sick of literalists reading the bible and preaching out on their view about how what the OBVIOUS meaning is is what the bible means.).
peace. braa. :smirk:

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinejayson
earthling
Male
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #859422 - 09/02/02 04:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That's very broad. By that definition a two year old is religious. From the child's perspective his parents would fit the description of being gods. Even to say that i am philosophical would under that definition, describe me as being religious. The definition is so broad it could cover anything you wonted it to. Basically religion is a system to be followed, the rules decided by someone else. If you do not follow someone else's rules, then you are not religious. But you can still be spiritual, by thinking in a manner that considers the possibility of something as simple as life after death.

As far as ecclesiastes goes i don't see the point. So you believe in reincarnation, OK. And you believe in jesus, OK.
Both are a possibility but what's that got to do with the difference between religion and spirituality. Its possible that i missed the point, sorry if i did.

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#860096 - 09/02/02 09:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

well...you can believe what you will, but i strongly urge you to read ay and all scripture from any and all religions with a deeper mindset. it never means what's right out on top, yea kow?
anyway, nice to talk to you, this is going to be my lat post for awhile...refer to the "holy bible" post for why. in short, i'm a bad typeist...can never explain what i REALLY mean to say onscreen...so i'm not posting in any more forums.
peace! have a nice life.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: Zahid]
    #860717 - 09/03/02 03:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

"Spirituality doesn't really have a moral structure. "

Then i don't exist budy .

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #861595 - 09/03/02 11:35 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

We, the God fearing, don't follow the rules of 'someone' else. We follow the rules of God, the Creator. Why does everyone think we are following man made rules? The discipline of faith is for your own benefit. While scriptures tend to change a bit over the centuries, the key word is righteousness.

--------------------

Offlinejayson
earthling
Male
Re: There is no purpose of life without religion(READ) [Re: Zahid]
    #861801 - 09/03/02 01:13 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I can relate to the bad typist bit. Me to  :crazy:

We, the God fearing
Why fear god.

righteousness
What do you mean by righteousness? The way i see it anyone who thinks their right, and acts upon it is righteous. Whether their right or not. 

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder