Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDelerium02
uberman
intest in mycology
    #857525 - 09/01/02 06:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I am new 2 this i have been scaning threw for the better part of a year and at first my intrest was mainly in magic mushrooms, but after growing them for the first time i have to say i have more intrest in growing them than in eating them, and i was impressed with some of the people who i have talked to here and how much they know about mushrooms in general, how did you all learn about mushroom, and how to identify them, is it just from reading or what?

--------------------
I like to wander

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: intest in mycology [Re: Delerium02]
    #857563 - 09/01/02 07:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, that and just picking up things from what folks say at the boards... thats how I learned.. And I've still got a lot to learn.

Now people like Mr Mushrooms, and Toxic Man make me wonder if they've been to mycology school, they know a TON.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #857643 - 09/01/02 07:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I started off with reading and comparing the mushrooms I found to what was in the book. I hooked up with the local mycological society to verify a few of my finds, and that gave me enough confidence to continue hunting. I continued on my own for another 15 years or so, and then decided to associate with the mycological society again. I went on forays with them and hung around with people who learned to ID from people like Dr. David Largent and Dr. Orson Miller, Jr. Spent a lot of time paying close attention to what the various mushrooms were, and, more importantly, how they knew which they were. Another thing that helped was making myself learn at least one new mushroom every time I went into the woods. Just find a mushroom that you can't identify, take it home, and figure out what it is. After awhile you start being able to see what the professionals are looking at and you get a lot better. I'm still really bad at several groups of mushrooms (and trying to learn about them). We have classes occasionally by professionals, and I always try to attend those. We were going to have Dr. Joe Ammirati teach us about Cortinarius for a day last year and he got sick and had to cancel (that sucked - we have so many corts I'd like to make a start at them).

If you want advice on how to learn to ID, here's some:

Get books and read and study. If you can take a class, do it. A college level class would be incredible. I learn best from actually looking at the mushrooms. Get out in the field and find mushrooms and identify them. Try to find some people who are also interested in mycology - there are mycological societies all over; join one and meet people with the same interest. Try to hang around with people who know more than you about it and who are willing to show you what they know. Most of all, enjoy doing it. I've learned a lot by enjoying the time in the woods hunting, or discussing what kind of mushroom it is, or putting pieces of a mushroom under a microscope.

An odd idea from Dr. Cathy Cripps comes to mind. Right now, most of the PhD mycologists at universities are getting older, and many are retiring (Dr. Orson Miller, Jr. retired this year). They are not being replaced with mycologists. They are being replaced with molecular biologists. As this continues, there will be fewer and fewer field mycologists who can actually look at mushrooms and identify them. She suggested that in, say, 30 years, the bulk of knowledge on field mycology (people who actually go into the woods, find mushrooms, and can identify them) may reside among amateur mycologists. If they need a specimen of such-and-such mushroom, they will need to go to an amateur somewhere to ask them to find some for them to do their work with. Somewhat frightening, in its own way.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#857673 - 09/01/02 08:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: intest in mycology [Re: ]
    #857821 - 09/01/02 09:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

cool link.....way cool :grin: but he doesnt tell us what kind they are :frown: 

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #858131 - 09/02/02 01:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I started as a little boy when my father took me to the mushroom hunting hikes in the woods. He showed me how to ID the most common edible and poisonous mushrooms. I still have the first mushroom that I found over 20 years ago. It was Fomitopsis pinnicola.
Later I started to take pictures of them because I they're a very good subject to study photography composition and lighting. They just stand there still and you can take all the time you want.
There are thousands of species and making right ID's is a very complex task. I always find species that I never saw before and that are not described in any of the books I have.

I "discovered" active mushrooms only recently and they really took my mushroom mania to a higher level.  :cool:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification