Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Uh-oh...How about the Quran?
    #857139 - 09/01/02 03:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Uh-oh...How about the Quran? [Re: World Spirit]
    #861013 - 09/03/02 08:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I am only 1/3 through. I got a copy with Arabic on the right side of the page and the English translation on the left. Footnotes and commentary are below the English translations. Written with the permission of the Saudi King.

So far I think it is OK. It is strange to read "backwards" from our conception. Starting a book where the biblography usually is is different.

The messages contained in the book are good though. Even worse than the Bible is for God, the word Allah is seen in almost every sentence. I did skip ahead to the parts about Jesus and Mary. Those were the my favorite so far. Anything specific you want to discuss?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Uh-oh...How about the Quran? [Re: Frog31337]
    #861772 - 09/03/02 03:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Uh-oh...How about the Quran? [Re: World Spirit]
    #863762 - 09/04/02 04:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

To me, the Qur'an is dry and seriously culture-bound to Arabic people. It was written from oral traditions after Muhammed died, and Muslims like to point out how the original Arabic has remained unchanged since the beginning - which is true - but Muhammed didn't write anything, any more than Jesus did, or probably Moses.
God is utterly transcendent and seemingly unaccessible to the human being. Shiite, and Sunni mainstream interpretations are just as literal and legal as Orthodox Jewry or Fundamentalist Christian interpretations of their scriptures. I have only really enjoyed the Sufis (Islamic mystics) who are marginal Muslims according to the main sects. Famous Sufi mystics like al-Ghazali or al-Halaj were executed (Halaj was crucified after hands and feet were amputated) for saying "I am the Truth," which is the same Shirk that Jesus was killed by the Jews for.

Whereas in Christianity it is a Divine Personality of Christ that is salvific; in Islam it is a Book, not a personality that carries the same ontological value. One eats the Body and Blood via sacrament; but one reads the Book and Submits to theWill of Allah, as Islam=submission.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media