Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerupertbeaner
Chris Hansen with Dateline MSNBC
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize???
    #8566056 - 06/26/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I dont have enough room in my tiny PC for a quart jar and an inch of water at the bottom.

Could I fill a 1/2 pint jar with the same amount of water and place it next to the quart jar in my PC to steam sterlize?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: rupertbeaner]
    #8566076 - 06/26/08 10:15 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

No.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJMR
Deviator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zion Highlands
Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8566120 - 06/26/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I am kinda glad he asked that question before doing.

Offlinehoodbran
Dosser
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phloston Paradise
Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: rupertbeaner]
    #8566165 - 06/26/08 10:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rupertbeaner said:
I dont have enough room in my tiny PC for a quart jar and an inch of water at the bottom.

Could I fill a 1/2 pint jar with the same amount of water and place it next to the quart jar in my PC to steam sterlize?

Per the videos you can steam BRF/Verm in a large pot for 90 minutes, i guess PC's are best suited to killing hardcore endospores in grain... that's my impression, RR, is this still standing?

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: hoodbran]
    #8566297 - 06/26/08 11:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

DO NOT DO THIS. The water actually has to be in the pressure cooker so it can heat up and turn to steam. How do you not have enough room for a half inch of water? Just put a half inch of water down in the pot, then put the jars in. Last time I checked, water was a liquid. I don't see how it could get in the way unless you are putting way too much and it's overflowing.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8566361 - 06/26/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

rupertbeaner said:

WHAT!?

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlinerupertbeaner
 User Gallery

Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8566631 - 06/26/08 12:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My PC

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/mirro4qt.htm

I am trying to do a quart jar of WBS or Rye berries, but I cannot fit both the quart jar and the water at the bottom, because I heard you should NOT let the water touch your jar; only steam.

I tried doing a quart jar of organic rye berries with aluminum around the bottom so that it would not come in direct contact with the water, but after the PC the grains were soggy.. :frown:

any suggestions? (other than gettin a bigger PC which costs $$$)

Offlinemagixx
Title
 User Gallery

#8567018 - 06/26/08 02:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

No, the water touching the bottom of the jar won't matter, what the jar is not suppose to touch directly is the bottom of the pressure cooker as direct and quickly applied heat could break the glass jar. Also do not submerge your jar in water completely as if you have water over the top of the jar it's gonna screw up the moisture content in it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: magixx]
    #8567050 - 06/26/08 02:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You need the jars elevated at least 1/2" off the bottom of your PC or the heat from the stove will crack the glass.  The jars can touch the water if using quarts.  With 1/2 pints I recommend against it because it can splash over the top and get inside.

Put down 1/2" of perlite in the PC if you don't have something else to keep the jars off the bottom.  Use 1" or more water.  Don't let it go dry.  You seriously need a bigger pressure cooker.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8567143 - 06/26/08 02:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

could not have said it better.

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

Offlinerupertbeaner
 User Gallery

Re: Putting water in a jar rather than in the bottom of a PC to sterlize??? [Re: shroomie_glen]
    #8567183 - 06/26/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies,

especially RR, that really cleared things up for me. :smile:

OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
    #8567370 - 06/26/08 03:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok my pressure cooker fits quart jars, bearly, i can fit 3 quart jars in it, and they have to touch the bottom... For all of my BRF+VERM jars i elevated them 1", and same for my pint jars of grain,  but the quart jars just wasnt happening, so i just put them in on the bottom... I've done 10 quart jars this way, none have broken, all are colonizing fine, i put water 1/2-3/4 up the jars, cool water, then i put the stove on med-low for a while to let the jars adjust to the temperature change, then i stuck the lid on and cranked er up, in my experience it works...
i have the same brand pressure cooker as in the picture above, i think it might be slightly larger in diameter tho

if you want to dish out the cash for a bigger PC, by all means do so, but otherwise if your careful, you will be fine, i havent had a quart jar break yet, i have had a pint jar break though even though there was only a hint of water touching the bottom of the jar because i put the jars in the water that was hot, and heated up too quickly

--------------------
I've found myself, and found nothing...
My NEW GROW ROOM BITCHES!!!
My Current HPOO Project!

and this is a chipmunk on my hand

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies