Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

fixing a car battery
    #8562597 - 06/25/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

anyone know how?  i got a brand new red top battery and apparently over the winter it got drained and now it won't recharge.

i also have a few other dead batterys laying around and im wondering if i can open them up and repair them somehow.  so can anyone explain what actually makes the batterys bad and what i would have to do to fix it?

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: fixing a car battery [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8562810 - 06/25/08 02:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The only thing you can do is fill it with distilled water (assuming it is not sealed).

Batteries dont have moving or replaceable parts, and the innards are corrosive.  DONT CUT ONE OPEN!  Your old ones should be taken to an auto store for proper disposal.

Again, to fix your new battery...  See if you can open the top.  If so, fill it with distilled water.  Then hook it up to a charger, and it should work.  Sometimes batteries are sealed, if thats the case it shouldn't have evaporated out of water to begin with.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: fixing a car battery [Re: DieCommie]
    #8562963 - 06/25/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

its broke because it went dead and still had a draw on it.  its also one of them maintence free batterys

and its only a year old so i don't think the water evaporated out of it

it just seems like it should be able to be repaired somehow.  i know they arn't "designed" to have replaceable parts, but i figuer thats mostly corperate america at work?

if i could safely open it, could it be fixed?

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#8563159 - 06/25/08 03:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No.  You cant safely open it and you cant replace the cells.  You run the risk of poison, acid and explosive hydrogen gas and you dont have the capability to replace toxic lead plates.  Corporate america is looking out for you this time by keeping you out of the inside of that battery.

If you cant fill it, and it wont hold a charge it is gone for good.

Offlinetimmeh_87
Scientist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #8563166 - 06/25/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well inside a battery you have lead plates and sulphuric acid. As the battery is used, the lead plates dissolve into the acid (oversimplified explanation). When you recharge it the lead redeposits onto the plates. Car batteries arent designed to go under ~70% of their full charge. The plates erode too far and it causes problems and stuff.

If you drain it way past dead, especially a few times, I really dont know exactly what happens but its really bad for it. Presumably the plates have started to erode all the way though or something. Attempting to charge it also might even be breaking it more.

If the some of the water from the sulphuric acid has evaporated, adding some new water might fix it. If it has leaked out you probably need to add new sulphuric acid.

Sulphuric acid will cause burns, lead will cause cancer. The battery is not meant to be opened. Repairing it with new lead or sulphuric acid will probably cost as much as a new battery. So just get a new battery.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8563176 - 06/25/08 03:50 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

well they recycle the batterys themselves so they can be opened safely.  and ive mentioned earlier that i do have other batterys laying around so they might have what i need inside them(the lead plates if thats what is wrong)

why do you say i don't have the capability to replace the toxic lead plates?  as in i don't have them or...what?

--------------------

Offlinetimmeh_87
Scientist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #8563208 - 06/25/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Just because they do something industrially doesnt mean you can just do it with a screwdriver in your basement.

Now I dont know how skilled you are, or what you are planning to do, but seriously. Where are you going to get lead plates? And how much would a battery cost at a wreckers?

I guess you could find two broken batteries and try to make a franken-battery... Im pretty sure the plastic is moudled shut though, and I have a feeling the recycling process consists of ripping them apart and saving the lead and acid, which is all reprocessed.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: fixing a car battery [Re: timmeh_87]
    #8563253 - 06/25/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ok for a third time now guys i have "extra batterys laying around" which i assume would be where i would get my lead plates.  my garage is packed full of tools. which includes safety lab goggles, and id have to google it but im pretty sure baking soda would work if i got a few drips on me(which is all that would get on me)

as for the plastic being moulded shut you might be right ill just have to look at it.  if it is then ill have to decide if i can cut through it safely or not.

if i were a bisness i would have designed the batterys to be reopened so i could replace everything and resell them without ripping them all apart, but you may be right

--------------------

Offlineperosiste
Overcomplicates shit for fun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8563378 - 06/25/08 04:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

makaveli8x8 said:
ok for a third time now guys i have "extra batterys laying around" which i assume would be where i would get my lead plates.  my garage is packed full of tools. which includes safety lab goggles, and id have to google it but im pretty sure baking soda would work if i got a few drips on me(which is all that would get on me)

as for the plastic being moulded shut you might be right ill just have to look at it.  if it is then ill have to decide if i can cut through it safely or not.

if i were a bisness i would have designed the batterys to be reopened so i could replace everything and resell them without ripping them all apart, but you may be right

This really is a terrible terrible idea,  but try it if you want.

Batteries are sealed because they pose serious health and enviromental risks.  Also there is no way to rebuild a battery once the parts come into contact with each other there is really no way to separate them back out into useful parts.

Also for all the spare batteries that you have lying around. 
The insides of those batteries will be severely corroded just because the charge is gone doesn't mean the acid isn't eating the lead.

In your original post you referred to the battery as a red top.  Did you mean Optima Red Top?  If so this battery carries a pretty good warranty.

But if your dead set on this experiment them remember to bury the batteries outside near your well or somewhere near a water supply after you open them and dissect the parts.

--------------------
Risk Management will be the downfall of western civilization

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: fixing a car battery [Re: perosiste]
    #8563522 - 06/25/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

perosiste said:
But if your dead set on this experiment them remember to bury the batteries outside near your well or somewhere near a water supply after you open them and dissect the parts.

:what:

This was supposed to be a joke, right....?  :shiftyeyes:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: fixing a car battery [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8563537 - 06/25/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i hope not because thats what i just did, i accidental dropped one of the lead plates into my well ill send my son down latter to try and get it if not oh well

i shoulda just posted this in otd, woulda got about the same response, some of you were kinda helpful thow so thx for trying.

--------------------

Edited by makaveli8x8 (06/25/08 05:24 PM)

InvisibleDieCommie

#8563563 - 06/25/08 05:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey man, what do you expect?  What you are saying you want to do is extremely dangerous to your self and the environment.  Also, replacing the lead plates with new ones is just not feasible or doable by a consumer (no matter how savvy).  Car batteries arnt super expensive either, which just makes the whole plan craziness. 

Nice thought though.  I always like to replace and repair things myself instead of buying new ones.  This time, it just aint happening.

OfflineDuaber
Stranger
    #8563598 - 06/25/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Have you tried charging it at different amps. Sometimes you can charge them back to life with quick charge or a trickle charge. Have you metered it to see what kind of voltage its holding

Offlineperosiste
Overcomplicates shit for fun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: fixing a car battery [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8563628 - 06/25/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PhanTomCat said:
Quote:

perosiste said:

:what:

This was supposed to be a joke, right....?  :shiftyeyes:

>^;;^<

did you really have to ask

--------------------
Risk Management will be the downfall of western civilization

InvisibleWonderland420
WTF
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: fixing a car battery [Re: perosiste]
    #8563649 - 06/25/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

My friend fixed mine,he went to the auto parts store and bought a bottle of Battery Acid for $3.99.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: fixing a car battery [Re: Wonderland420]
    #8563660 - 06/25/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> My friend fixed mine,he went to the auto parts store and bought a bottle of Battery Acid for $3.99.

Great idea... except... these are sealed batteries.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

.... or more specifically, http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-35.htm

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Edited by Seuss (06/25/08 05:55 PM)

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #8564028 - 06/25/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
acid and explosive hydrogen 

Heed this warning people!  I learned the hard way.

I had a sealed battery on a truck I owned that wasn't very old and would just die on me.  I could jump it off though and it might be fine for weeks after that.  It started to get progressively worse and I discovered that just twisting the connections around a little would suddenly restore power.  What started off as a bad connection that could be fixed simply by hooking up jumper cables became one that required more and more tweaking to get contact.  No matter how I tried to take off the connections are redo them, it was always the same.

Well one Saturday night at a club I just happen to hook up with this girl I'd wanted and I thought things couldn't get better.  Until we go to my truck and it wouldn't start.  Try as I might to tweak the connection, it wouldn't get power.  Luckily, or unluckily as it were, someone saw me with the hood up in the parking and asked if they could help.  I asked for a jump, he obliged, and that's when it got bad.

As soon as I touched the clamp to that positive electrode a fireball erupted and then another pop caused a burst of acid shooting out.  The fireball only singed a little hair on my hand and arm, but the acid was all over my shirt plus my neck and arms.  The girl luckily was drinking a liter bottle of water so I used that to dilute the acid on my skin.  It came out of the battery like a fine spray so it wasn't too bad and I'm really lucky it didn't get in my eyes.  Clothes were ruined though.

What had been happening is the bolt that comes out the lead on the positive side must not have been built well.  All those times I went and twisted and turned the connections to get power, I was moving that bolt around inside of the lead.  It finally opened a hole up and that's where I got the hydrogen gas for my fireball and acid for good measure.

Don't screw around with trying to fix that battery.

Oh, and if you're interested things still worked out with the girl.  :grin:

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: fixing a car battery [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #8564560 - 06/25/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

diecommie, i was just hoping for links and idea's to help me achieve my goal.  instead i received alot of "you can't", and warnings that are good for "morons".  that which i am not.  i definitely don't understand car battery's totally yet. but i do know how to be safe with working with hazards. I know the risks that could come to myself, when you say bad for the enviroment how do you mean?  see when i read that it makes me feel you don't think so highly of my brain functions.  i write this as i hope it explains why its a bit difficult to trust you when you say its impossible for me to do this.

my idea is obviously unheard of based on the reactions here, and unpractical...I'm just not convinced its undo-able yet. if you feel its a stupid idea and unsafe thats cool and thanks for your concern, but i haven't really heard much details(why would it be impossible to fix the lead plates?) as to why it can't be done which makes it seem like unconstructive criticism.

there was this guy in a third world country who wanted to water cool his computer, he built every single thing from scratch with scrape metals and plastics.  my point is over the years ive learned there's alot of things a person can do, its just usually alot easier and safer to have someone else do it for you.  i haven't a clue what the inside of a car battery looks like, but i did build a battery in middle school that was ecentually a D battery.  if a metal plate is just corroded it seems like that could be fixed.  if its missing that might be a bit tricky, or it might just be broke and id just have to fill the gap somehow.

Duaber- i do not currently have a meter.  my battery charger has about 5 lights on it and its stuck on the first one, charges for about 5-10 minutes and then the light turns red which means it won't charge anymore or a failsafe.  when i hook the battery up to my car, my car makes noise soon as i connect the leads, so theres not much in it just enough to make ticking sounds. 

thanks for the link Seuss ill check them out and hopefully learn something.

and interesting story HagbardCeline, i too made the mistake once when i was younger of connecting jumper cables while the other car was still running.  made so many sparks I'm surprised it didn't set something on fire.  i might have hooked them up in the wrong order too so I'm sure that didn't help either.

this was a $130 battery so thats why I'm trying to save it, that and i don't have money to buy any battery at the moment.  just seems such a shame to let this nice brand new one go to waste.  i was checking the battery out not long ago and it actually looked very simple to open up.  infact i imagine there wouldn't be much if any prying.  I can clearly see a 2 piece setup.  and i think there are some screws or similar covered ontop.

anyways I'm going to read them links and see if it mentions anything about this.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8564604 - 06/25/08 10:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, don't mess with it. You've been warned about 10 times. Those batteries are not meant for fucking with. And besides, if it's an Optima battery don't those things come with like a 3 year warranty?

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: fixing a car battery [Re: Shroomism]
    #8564799 - 06/25/08 11:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

feels like alot more than 10 now thanks.  really tho its not necessary, im warned, ive been warned and thanks for all the future warnings everyone.

as for the warranty im prob still barely within 3 years but i can't use it, don't ask :frown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale