Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: Luddite]
    #8551643 - 06/22/08 06:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I saw Robert Hirsch on CNBC recently.  He thinks oil could get to $500/barrel in five years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hirsch_(energy_advisor)

http://globalpublicmedia.com/interviews/615

http://tinyurl.com/5jzvfk

Robert Hirsch on peak oil: "This problem is truly frightening. This problem is like nothing that I have ever seen in my lifetime, and the more you think about it and the more you look at the numbers, the more uneasy any observer gets. It's so easy to sound alarmist, and I fear that part of what I'm saying may sound alarmist, but there simply is no question that the risks here are beyond anything that any of us have ever dealt with. And the risks to our economies and our civilization are enormous."

Edited by Luddite (06/22/08 06:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledemon6fire
Hello
Male

Loc: IL
    #8551892 - 06/22/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Not releasing greenhouse gases will hurt the environment?  Um what?

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: zouden]
    #8551915 - 06/22/08 07:58 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

15 years ago the ozone layer was the bandwagon.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: DieCommie]
    #8551934 - 06/22/08 08:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

And we banned CFCs, and the hole started shrinking. The ozone layer is one of environmentalism's biggest success stories.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleDieCommie

#8552023 - 06/22/08 08:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So the ozone layer is fixed now?  I never knew.  I sure got a lot of lectures about it in school as a kid.  Glad it worked.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #8552129 - 06/22/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

how big was the 'hole' in the ozone layer?  How do you measure it, with a ruler or tape measure?  Isn't the layer invisible?

peace

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: supra]
    #8552283 - 06/22/08 09:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It was a Big Deal here in Australia because it increased skin cancer rates - the hole is over the antarctic. New Zealand suffered even worse because they're further south.

We used to see images of the ozone hole in the news. It fluctuates with the seasons.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8552508 - 06/22/08 11:04 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

back to the topic, this seems strange.

Is this guy really this crass, or is the article just terrible?

Is the guy really saying he doesn't want the plant cuz it will contribute to carbon dioxide output, or was there some reason such as poor efficiency?

If it was an absolutist stance, not related to efficiency, the decision seems insane.

Where else is the power going to come from?  This is like quitting your job when your broke, and then bitching when you can't find another job for twenty years... what the hell is he thinking?

My appologies if the decision was based on more rational grounds such as efficiency or something and this guy is just an idiot.

This does illustrate the problem when government regulators get involved with private property, however.

If someone wants to build shit on their land, what the hell buisness is it of the government?

These actions should be brought by private plaintiffs that will be adversely affected.

Fuck the police state that can tell folks they can't build shit on their own property.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #8554282 - 06/23/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
It was a Big Deal here in Australia because it increased skin cancer rates - the hole is over the antarctic. New Zealand suffered even worse because they're further south.

We used to see images of the ozone hole in the news. It fluctuates with the seasons.

great image man, thanks for the explanation!!

peace

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8554511 - 06/23/08 01:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> And we banned CFCs, and the hole started shrinking.

Too bad that isn't true... well, the second half isn't true...

"From September 21-30, 2006 the average area of the ozone hole was the largest ever observed, at 10.6 million square miles." Souce: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/ozone_record.html

The ozone "problem" is so 1980s... global warming and CO2 is where it is today.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: Seuss]
    #8554974 - 06/23/08 04:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ah ha!  Maybe its the thin ozone layer that's causing the glaciers to melt and not the CO2.  The enviro-commies think they have a better chance at controlling our use of carbon, but we can't let them.

Edited by Luddite (06/23/08 04:15 PM)

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8555025 - 06/23/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

From further down the page on that very same article:
Quote:

As a result of the Montreal Protocol and its amendments, the concentrations of ozone-depleting substances in the lower atmosphere (troposphere) peaked around 1995 and are decreasing in both the troposphere and stratosphere. It is estimated these gases reached peak levels in the Antarctica stratosphere in 2001. However, these ozone-depleting substances typically have very long lifetimes in the atmosphere (more than 40 years).

As a result of this slow decline, the ozone hole is estimated to annually very slowly decrease in area by about 0.1 to 0.2 percent for the next five to 10 years. This slow decrease is masked by large year-to-year variations caused by Antarctic stratosphere weather fluctuations.

The recently completed 2006 World Meteorological Organization/United Nations Environment Programme Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion concluded the ozone hole recovery would be masked by annual variability for the near future and the ozone hole would fully recover in approximately 2065.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#8555204 - 06/23/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So the prediction is that it will be fixed, but right now it is as big as it has ever been.  But in the future it will be fixed. 2065 huh?  I wonder what the error bars are on that calculation.

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: DieCommie]
    #8559498 - 06/24/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

After watching Robert Hirsch on youtube watch this.  I knew the peak oil problem was coming, but I didn't think energy prices would be rising as fast as they are now.  I didn't think there'd be so many homes in foreclosure at this time either.  Its not just peak oil, its lack of fiscal responsibility. 

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=soylent+green&search_type=&aq=f

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#8577113 - 06/29/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Climate Change - Has it been cancelled?       

Professor Bob Carter from James Cook University in Queensland, talks to Nzone Tonight's Allan Lee about how ordinary people can try and find out the truth about Climate Change and global warming.

http://www.climatechangefraud.com/content/view/1271/218/

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#8584606 - 07/01/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Georgia court cites carbon in coal-plant ruling

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Georgia state court on Monday invalidated a permit to build a 1,200-megawatt coal-fired power plant, citing the developers' failure to limit emissions of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas blamed for global warming.

An environmental group immediately praised the decision, predicting it would lead to reconsideration of many coal-fired power plants under development in the country.

The order, from Fulton County Superior Court Judge Thelma Wyatt Cummings Moore, reversed an air permit issued earlier this year by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources to Longleaf Energy Resources, a joint venture of Houston-based Dynegy Inc and LS Power Group.

The judge disagreed with regulators' action to reject carbon dioxide as a pollutant that is subject to regulation under the Clean Air Act, citing a 2007 U.S. Supreme Court decision.

In that order, the Supreme Court said carbon dioxide is a pollutant under the existing federal law.

A Dynegy spokesman said the company was reviewing the ruling and had no comment on the future of the project, a traditional, pulverized coal plant to be built in Early County, Georgia.

The Sierra Club, which is fighting construction of many new coal plants, along with Friends of the Chattahoochee Inc, challenged the Longleaf air permit, which put no restrictions on the expected emissions of 8-million-plus tons of carbon dioxide.

"This is the first court of any stripe to interpret the Supreme Court's ruling as it applies to coal-burning power plants," said Bruce Nilles, director of the Sierra Club's national coal campaign.

Nilles likened the importance of the Georgia court ruling to Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' decision last year to reject a new coal plant in that state on grounds that global warming is a public health threat.

"In one swift decision, it changes the debate around global warming regulation in the United States because it now means that every coal plant has to consider its CO2 impacts," Nilles said.

The Sierra Club hopes the ruling will accelerate the debate to create a strong federal bill to protect the climate, Nilles said.

(Reporting by Eileen O'Grady in Houston and Bernie Woodall in Los Angeles; Editing by Christian Wiessner)

http://in.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idINN3044042020080630?sp=true

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8584697 - 07/01/08 04:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

They'd be better off building a 1200-megawatt nuclear power plant.

--------------------

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#8584730 - 07/01/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Its too expensive and takes a lot longer to build.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8584747 - 07/01/08 04:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Then they should have started building them years ago! There's been no new nuclear power plants built anywhere in the world in the last two decades. Ridiculous.

--------------------

InvisibleNaturalHypnosis
Hoodlum

Re: Zealot blocks coal power plant permits [Re: wisp]
    #8590510 - 07/03/08 04:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
Please tell me you are joking when you say that global warming is a gaff.

exactly what i've been told !!!

massive manipulated hype games about when will the oil run out, what will happen etc.. hysteria & panic & raise those prices again - cat & mouse

of course the earths blood will be sucked completely dry One-day... but not for along time & these god playing companies like SHELL will scratch out every cent & then they will finally give us their water powered car which does god knows how many miles to 1 LITRE of water [600 ?]

it's beyond a joke now - but i suppose it well maybe help wake us all up from this dream

--------------------
A Trance is a trance is a trance

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order