Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineomu_negru
rookie
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
New liquid culture idea
    #8549765 - 06/22/08 03:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

....Ok mabye this came to someone else before but i couldnt find it anywhere else so i thought id ask you guys if its doable.
  So here it is : while preparing some grains i was documenting myself on liquid culture also as its something id like to try in the future. Then i read that contamination is a pretty big issue as it is with anything shroomy. So i get myself to a local pharmacy to see how much would a few grams of glucose would cost me and guess what i find.... 5% glucose plastic bottles...nicely sealed and really clean since they are meant to go to some poor guys veins.
  So im thinking...if i put 100 ML perhydrol into one of these plastic bottles then pump in some spores and seal evrything back... would this stuff have enough Oxigen to produce mycelium? The advantage for me is that a 500 ml bottle costs me the equivalent of 1$ and its already sterilized so no risc of caramelization or contamination for me. Please feel free to share your thoughts with me... Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepraga
Stranger

Re: New liquid culture idea [Re: omu_negru]
    #8549837 - 06/22/08 04:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like a pretty neat idea to me. Those IV bags should be sterile and they already have an injection port. Try and and let us know how it goes!

Invisiblewisp

#8549851 - 06/22/08 05:06 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The problem of contamination isn't with liquid cultures themselves, it's with starting them from spores which may be contaminated.

During growth of the LC it is impossible to tell whether you have a clean culture growing or whether it's contaminated with moulds. It is only after the effort of making a liquid culture, waiting for it to grow and then innoculating a jar of with it will you know whether it is clean or not. Liquid cultures started from clean agar wedges are a far safer way to go.

Also, using glucose is not a good sugar, nor is 5% an ideal amount. Lastly, liquid cultures need gas exchange. So your idea is not a good one IMO.

Offlineomu_negru
rookie
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New liquid culture idea [Re: wisp]
    #8549942 - 06/22/08 06:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

well i figured 100 ml peroxide will provide the oxigen and set the concentration of the solution to 4%. Also...why is glucose not a good sugar ? I can choose between honey and glucose but honey solutions are always kinda yellowish so i don't know weather it's the natural color or its already caramelized and thus toxic. Also thanks for the reply :smile:

Invisiblewisp

#8549962 - 06/22/08 06:26 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

H2O2 is toxic to fungal cells. You do not want to add that to a liquid culture, especially starting from spores. You'll end up killing the spores if you do.

I think glucose is just too refined. You want it to be nutritional diverse.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: New liquid culture idea [Re: wisp]
    #8550012 - 06/22/08 07:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Honey is also mediocre.  However, as said above the biggest problem with amateur growers LC is starting from spores.  Sporeprints are notoriously contaminated with whatever is floating in the indoor environment, and that's a lot of stuff, mostly shed human skin cells that are crawling with bacteria and whatever mold spores hitched a ride as they floated in the air.  Pf cakes are somewhat selective against these contaminants and grains a bit less so.  LC and agar will grow whatever is present.

Growers have used glucose before with limited success.  I've also seen them inject sealed bottles of fruit juice.  Gas exchange can be provided by using a dab of silicone sealant above the liquid line, and then injecting a polyfill stuffed syringe body through it.

I still recommend against new growers using LC.  For every grower who gets good results, three or four will fail due to natural contaminants, and you never know what you have for weeks until you use the culture to inject grains or cakes.  However, skip the LC and you find out much sooner if your projects are contaminated.  In addition, grains and cakes grow mycelium much faster than the sugar water contraptions we read about here.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds