Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Loc: earth
did i do it right? colonizing dung
    #853565 - 08/30/02 03:34 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i broke two 1/2 pt jars into a container that had pasteurized dung/straw. then i mixed everything as if it were a salad with sterilized utensils (NO i didnt touch anything with my hands and used lysol and anti bacterial soap). when i finished, some chunks of spawn were visible so i covered it all with approx 1 inch of potting soil so that the chunks of spawn and hay were covered. oh the dung is a about 3 inches. did i do well?? should i have instead made a spawn sandwich. layer of dung layer of spawn layer of dung. iv'e seen it done both ways. i still have plenty of jars if i made a no no. i finaly put the container in a dark closet and plan to fan, mist,ect.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: PSILOCYBE_RICKY]
    #853573 - 08/30/02 03:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Usually you let the substrate colonize covered and in dark first, then case and expose to air and light.

You might want to read www.shroomery.org/logs.php .

Offlinecaptiveball
just anotherbuddah
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: Anno]
    #853576 - 08/30/02 03:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

but as far as "tossing the salad" was he ok or is it better w/ the spawn in a bottom layer and the dung on top?

--------------------
of course this is all a dream and none of what i am saying is factual.

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: Anno]
    #853577 - 08/30/02 03:47 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

so its ok if spawn and hay are exposed to the environment as long as it is covered??

Offlinemarathonman
studento'shrooms
Loc: always movin'
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: captiveball]
    #853582 - 08/30/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Should work as long as they used enough spawn.

--------------------
** Everything written here is a lie **

"There is nothing so exhilarating as being shot at, and missed." -- Theodore Roosevelt

InvisibleShaw

#853585 - 08/30/02 03:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't have cased it. Yes, you are supposed to mix it up. 3" seems a little deep for that little of spawn, but if it dosn't contaminate it's all good. I mix my spawn and dung un a 20gallon rubbermaid toat, smooth it and just leave it in there. makes a good fruiting chamber too with plexi-glass in the lid.

--------------------

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: Shaw]
    #853616 - 08/30/02 04:12 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

for the first batch i will just hope for the best. i went ahead and did 2 more jars in a slightly smaller container. i mixed it up again but this time i didnt cover with the potting soil.

Offlinecaptiveball
just anotherbuddah
    #853667 - 08/30/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

someone said in a similar thread that his aunt should add a bottom layer of damp vermiculite to the bottom maybe about 1" can anyone else back this up?

the neighbors ferrets are a few days behind you but are planning to go the same route as your dog ricky, maybe w/ a little cohersion those pesky ferrets will keep this thread alive with updates. now where was that cattle prod....

zap

--------------------

OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
    #853690 - 08/30/02 04:49 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If you got the space in the container a bottom layer of damp vermiculture couldn't hurt.

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #853741 - 08/30/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

it was my understanding that a bottom layer of verm could potentialy form unseen contam.

OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
    #853753 - 08/30/02 05:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

it was my understanding that a bottom layer of verm could potentialy form unseen contam.

Its possible. Just nuke it for 4 or 5 minutes or spray it with some h2o + h2o2 and it should be fine.

InvisibleShaw

#854003 - 08/30/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

here's the theory:
If an area of saturation or standing water should form on the bottom of the casing, it is better that there be no nutrient matter there to help breed contamination. they bacteria need, if i remember correct, food water and optimal temperature to reproduce. the aim is to take away the food where they are likely to appear. This is, of course, unproven. i have seen both ways work.

--------------------

Offlinecaptiveball
just anotherbuddah
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: Shaw]
    #854102 - 08/30/02 09:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

but would baked vermiculite provide nutrients for whatever to grow on, as i understand it verm has no nutritional value? But on the other hand nutrients could be pulled into this layer by osmosis and gravity. so i kina see what your saying too.

I think the ferrets gonna leave it off.

and i think im gonna ask them to toss the salad with my spawn into my poo, i wonder how much paymen t that will require?  :confused: 

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #854181 - 08/30/02 11:03 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

vermiculite is anutritious, that is, it has no nutritional value. the purpous of the bottom vermiculite layer is to provide extra water to be used for the formation of fruits. it can be a source of contams if there is too much water in the vermiculite. if you choose to do this don't use more water than half the volume of the vermiculite.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Re: did i do it right? colonizing dung [Re: canid]
    #854511 - 08/31/02 06:20 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i just might be crazy enough to try an experiment. i may add verm to the dung/straw mix. that way hopefully moistness and humidity will be keped high from within and not from the outside. and if it doesnt work oh well, who cares it's just one freeking jar. however i just started 3 batches last night so i am gonna wait to see those thorugh and then i WILL try this crazy idea and let you ppl know how it goes.

OnlineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #857784 - 09/01/02 07:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well as far as making a sandwitch effect I thinktossing and mixing everything up should work better.
The reasoning is mixing up all the grains into the spawn so you spread the innoculation points evenly and colonization occurs faster.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom