Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
has fractional sterilisation worked for anybody
    #852391 - 08/30/02 12:45 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i tried it a while back with whole wheat grains in a microwave and failed. mycelium did grow but weas taken over by green a week later.
i have a autoclave bag of wheat now which got contaminated i think the spore syringe must have been bad since i sterilised the wheat it properly. i nuked the bag in the microwave for 20mins to kill the green mould and have innoced again with a vendor spore syringe which should be ok.
i did a search on resterilising contaminated substrates and workman (i think) said it should be ok but is probably not recommended. i read in a biology book that botulism (when growing/vegetating) and others are killed in 10mins at 100C.
i have also microwaved some more wheat (soaked for 24hr) for about 1/2 hour. this time i will wait until i see contamination before i microwave them again. i will do this 4 or 5 times.
has anybody ever tried this or know if im wasting my time

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: has fractional sterilisation worked for anybody [Re: blackout]
    #852399 - 08/30/02 12:57 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>has fractional sterilisation worked for anybody
For me, but not using the microwave, rather boiling in a pot.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: has fractional sterilisation worked for anybody [Re: Anno]
    #852446 - 08/30/02 02:49 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

was it rye grain?
who many times did you do it (individual heatings not the whole process)?
incubation period between heatings?
heating time?

InvisibleShaw

#852584 - 08/30/02 05:04 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I've never had success with anything in the microwave

--------------------

Offlinekillerjay
idiot savant
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: has fractional sterilisation worked for anybody [Re: Anno]
    #852804 - 08/30/02 07:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I was having problems with contamination a while back so I attempted it by boiling jars two and even three times, each a day apart. It did not work however with rye, millet, or brown rice flour cakes, so I eventually broke down and bought a 22qt presto pressure cooker for $80 and have had much better results since then.

OfflineCubies4Me
Child of theShroom

Loc: Another Realm
    #853011 - 08/30/02 09:18 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I used it with 3 jars of rye grain a month or so ago and it worked fine, jus too much work. I boiled it in a pot for a half hour and then let it incubate for 24 hours, boiled half hour again, incubate 24 hours and then boiled for an hour jus to be safe. I then bought a 16 qt. pc to make things easier. I have never tried with whole wheat or anything else. hope this helps.

--------------------
:tongue:
  Livin comfortably numb, always and forever.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #853360 - 08/30/02 12:57 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

#854139 - 08/30/02 09:51 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Your microwave sterilization doesn't mean shit unless you know the core temperature. A microwave thermometer is what you need. They can be had at most large chain stores such as target/k-mart/Wal-Mart.... you get the idea.

If no luck there, call up the gourmet kitchen places in town. Most malls have one these days. What you're looking for is a therm with no metal on it, they're pretty easy to find.......

When its all said and done, Getting conistant results in the microwave is a science and should be treated as such. But to make a long post short, Get them grains hot, 250 or better for atleest 10 minutes each time, and at least 3 times separated by at least an hour................
It's worked for me but I prefer a pressure cooker...

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

Edited by HisStudent (08/30/02 09:52 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #854202 - 08/30/02 11:19 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i've had good luck with it using rye grass seed, but i boiled.
microwaves are not to be trusted, muahaha...

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: has fractional sterilisation worked for anybody [Re: canid]
    #858022 - 09/01/02 09:17 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i have a few substrates ready to be innoced soon. all were cooked in the microwave. i put the substrates in jars with filter lids or loose lids. then put them in an autoclave bag with some boiling water in it. i seal the bag with a large clip and put it in the micro. the bag expands and gets saturated with steam inside, it blows up like a ballon but doesnt pop since there is steam released through the filter patch. like a low pressure, pressure cooker in the microwave! so far the jars have looked nice with no dry spots in them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale