Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineomu_negru
rookie
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Jar filter
    #8531967 - 06/16/08 11:02 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hello everybody,
Before you all start bashing me please hear me out. Ive been treying to grow for some time now but it seems that theres always something coming in my way. So first i tryed doing whole grains in jars.
  The first incumberance was my complete lack of an adequate filter. I used cotton and i screwed up all the jars. Now i know that for a noob the best way to start is with PF cakes but the thing is....i cant find vermiculite anywhere. Its hard enough trying to find this stuff in my country but in the small town i live in noones even heard of the stuff.
  After that i got my hands on a filter patch bag and tried to go along that route....unfortunately i packed it in too neatly in the PC and it went boom...leaving me to scrape plastic off the pot several hours later. So...im thinking of going back to jars now but im not doing it without an adequate filter.
  Now since a vermiculite filter is out of the question....i can get my hands on carbon filters, fiberglass filters or perlite to be used as a filter instead of the verm but i really dont know how aerated the grains would be since the perlite i have is pretti fine. 
  I really hope to find an answer here and i appolojize if the question has been asked before but after a lot of searching i did not find a previous post with an answer.
  Ps...i also cant seem to find any tyvek or polyfill (whatever those are )

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Jar filter [Re: omu_negru]
    #8532012 - 06/16/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Since you don't have vermiculite, but have a pressure cooker, you will go with grains.

In the past I had success with only placing a double layer of aluminium foil of the jar's opening instead of a filter lid. If you do this, the foil must be placed tightly so air can only come in and out at the rim of the jar where there is the imperfect foil seal.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Jar filter [Re: Anno]
    #8532030 - 06/16/08 11:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If using that method, you can get extra filtering by placing a clean paper towel under the foil.  The paper towel serves as a filter.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineomu_negru
rookie
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Jar filter [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8532242 - 06/17/08 12:49 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the replys guys...so then i wont mess around with anything else but aluminum, paper towels and mabye coffee filters then...Hope i'll have enough air going through my grains. I intend to do whole rice or wheat btw...so if any of you has any experience with these or knows wich one colonizes faster or requires less air for the myc to convert the nutriens please feel free to share. Thank you again.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #8532423 - 06/17/08 02:45 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Whole rice is sticky. Go with wheat. I simmer wheat for ~40 minutes, drain, then pressure cook for an hour.

Invisiblewisp

Re: Jar filter [Re: Anno]
    #8532797 - 06/17/08 07:52 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

How about whole rice with gypsum added?

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jar filter [Re: wisp]
    #8532813 - 06/17/08 08:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
How about whole rice with gypsum added?

It would still be quite sticky. I have some fairly dry rice I am trying in a week or so. It has a low moisture content and was rinsed. The plan is to add excess LC which will soak up into the rice. If you have enough LC there is no need to shake jars at all. I am also trying 1kg of whole grain brown rice in a filter patch bag, at approx 50% moisture content. In a bag you can massage the rice around so this gets away from the problem of it being so sticky.

Invisiblewisp

Re: Jar filter [Re: blackout]
    #8532818 - 06/17/08 08:07 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

How do you propose to get the correct moisture content in either of those methods?

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8532835 - 06/17/08 08:13 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
How do you propose to get the correct moisture content in either of those methods?

Note the weight of everything and calculate. 1ml of water is approx 1gram. Most grains are around 10-13% water already. If you leave your grain recipe 50ml short of water you can add 50ml back as LC later.

Invisiblewisp

#8532842 - 06/17/08 08:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That sounds like a good idea. What about even dispersion of water throughout the grains though?

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

#8532843 - 06/17/08 08:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

omu_negru said:
Hello everybody,
Before you all start bashing me please hear me out. Ive been treying to grow for some time now but it seems that theres always something coming in my way. So first i tryed doing whole grains in jars.
  The first incumberance was my complete lack of an adequate filter. I used cotton and i screwed up all the jars. Now i know that for a noob the best way to start is with PF cakes but the thing is....i cant find vermiculite anywhere. Its hard enough trying to find this stuff in my country but in the small town i live in noones even heard of the stuff.
  After that i got my hands on a filter patch bag and tried to go along that route....unfortunately i packed it in too neatly in the PC and it went boom...leaving me to scrape plastic off the pot several hours later. So...im thinking of going back to jars now but im not doing it without an adequate filter.
  Now since a vermiculite filter is out of the question....i can get my hands on carbon filters, fiberglass filters or perlite to be used as a filter instead of the verm but i really dont know how aerated the grains would be since the perlite i have is pretti fine. 
  I really hope to find an answer here and i appolojize if the question has been asked before but after a lot of searching i did not find a previous post with an answer.
  Ps...i also cant seem to find any tyvek or polyfill (whatever those are )

I think it's better to start with grains. I did cakes one time. Cakes aren't worth it imho. Potency isn't as good as straw/poo and you get a small flush usually.

Cakes are easy though. Kudos for trying to start with grain. +5 to you.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8532855 - 06/17/08 08:22 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
That sounds like a good idea. What about even dispersion of water throughout the grains though?

I thought it would be a big  problem but it wasn't.

Check the link below, grains were heated until bone dry and then LC was added, in 2 stages, so it soaked up more evenly.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4685380#4685380

Invisiblewisp

#8532901 - 06/17/08 08:45 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting...might give it a go. Still it seems like a lot of work for not-that-dramatically increased colonisation times. How long did it take actually?

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8532976 - 06/17/08 09:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
Interesting...might give it a go. Still it seems like a lot of work for not-that-dramatically increased colonisation times. How long did it take actually?

All grains had growth after 48hrs. That was just an experiment, it is not a lot of work, you would usually just leave grains a little dry. If you usually add 100ml to 100g grain, then add 80ml. Now just sterilize as normal and add 20ml back as LC. you can get very fast growth. Here are jars.

added 30ml LC to each jar and 3 days later they looked like this

more on that grow in the microwave growlog link in my sig

Invisiblewisp

#8532995 - 06/17/08 09:24 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well damn, that is impressive. I certainly will be giving this a try. Couldn't use a microwave though, don't have one.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8536932 - 06/18/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said: Couldn't use a microwave though, don't have one.

No need, that is just coincidence that I tried it in that grow, trying 2 things at once. With the microwave you need a scale to tell how much moisture was lost. With grains you already know how much water you left it short by.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom