Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Constant air flow.
    #853137 - 08/30/02 12:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

With my setup I can keep my temps between 72 and 75f and humidity of 95 to 99% with a constant air exchange. What I wanted to know is it ok to have a constant air exchange? Is it better to have it cycle?

We can see California coming, and we're scared.--- James Brady

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Constant air flow. [Re: Magash]
    #853227 - 08/30/02 01:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It would help to know what you have in your system. Cakes, tubs or what?

With a constant air flow, you will have a lot of evaporation (going somewhere, then condensing & dripping somewhere). Cycle is better IMHO. Like 4 or 5 times a day with a gentle flow @ 15 - 20 minutes each. That gives you gas exchange, yet not enough to have you replenishing a water supply -- all the time, or things getting soggy -- which can cause problems.

SixTango.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Constant air flow. [Re: SixTango]
    #853391 - 08/30/02 03:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ok I have cakes in the chamber. With 10 years of HVAC under my belt I made a chamber that can run all the time. The water is collected as it runs threw a evaporator then goes back to the humidifier. The sides of the chamber have no water on them the only water in the chamber is in the air. The only water used is used by the shrooms so I don't have to fill the humidifier but once every 2 weeks but I do it every 2 days to be safe.
The chamber was put together to see if it would work before I start to build one I can walk in.

A man owes his success to his first wife and his second wife to his success.-- Jim Backus

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#853444 - 08/30/02 03:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Before you build the "walk in". You should get a good handle on bulk spawn (quarts of grain or bird seed), g2g transfers & bulk substrate (compost / straw/dung).

A suggestion: check out All Americam pressure cooker (AA 925 - or better yet AA 941) & go eyeball "mortar mix tubs" at Home Depot or Lowes. You will know why, the moment you handle one.

Best to you. SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Constant air flow. [Re: SixTango]
    #853541 - 08/30/02 05:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Man you hit the nail on the head. That is my plan. I wanted to do some pf teks to get the idea of the shroom life cycle first. I can read all the FAQs I want but nothing beats seeing it first hand. I have a friend who I got to know here who I am planing to fly out here to help set up. He knows rye berrys and horse poop which is the way I plan to go.
Damn I just picked up a All American 921.

Best to all

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#853661 - 08/30/02 06:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hell,

Just go to Petco, get a "Basic" 40 pound bag of wild bird seed ($9). Get a few quart jars, some filter disks or Tyvck & go for it.

Simply soak as much seed as you want (or intend) to use, overnight (or around 18 hours). Then rinse it WELL. Then drain it WELL. Load jars 5/8ths to 3/4 full, apply fiter disk & lid (w/1/4 inch hole in lid -- or 2).

Don't screw caps tight. Leave 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose. Cover lids w/double coffee filters, held w/rubber band & PC @ 15 pounds from 60 to 90 minutes.

Let the PC cool (somewhat), open, get out jar, tighten lid (w/coffee filter still in place -- which will dry almost instantly& shake the jar like your trying to scramble it's brains. Do that w/all jars you PC'ed.

Then, store them in a clean cardboard box (or whatever) to cool.

When cooled to room temp, remove coffee filters (& set aside), swab lid clean w/alchol, cleanly as possible -- innoc right through the internal filter, swab inside the coffee filters & replace them on the lid / tight.

Then, store the jars somewhere, in the dark @ around 78 to 82 F. Don't even eyeball then for four (4) days. Then look. If you see colonization - smile .

Wait until about 10 / 15 % colonized & shake the jars again - to spread the myc around (top to bottom). Then -- store again & wait. Sooner than you think, you will have fully colonized spawn jars. Be patient.

Once you have fullly colonized jars -- your set for the next step.

Also, save a few colonized jars -- to learn G2G transfers with. One (1), will get you around 15 to 20 more via that method & they colonize MUCH quicker than w/spores.

SixTango

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation