Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU]
    #8528463 - 06/15/08 11:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin
June 15, 2008 - ABC News

Medical experts say use of the drug GHB in Melbourne, has grown faster than heroin use.

The study, published in the Medical Journal of Australia, found a four per cent increase in GHB overdoses per month between 2001 and 2005.

The increase for heroin overdoses during that time, was about one per cent per month.

Associate Professor Paul Dietze, from the Burnet Institute, says GHB is a relatively new drug and is popular with people under the age of 25.

"It certainly has made an impact on the scene, and it is obviously something of concern," he said.

"Even though the numbers aren't as great as heroin, the people who are being affected are a completely different group. So it's not injecting drug users in the main, it's people who would be attending raves and so forth."

The study also shows that 90 per cent of those who overdose on the drug need hospital treatment, compared with 21 per cent of heroin overdoses.

"These GHB overdoses require ambulance take them to hospital, so they can be appropriately managed and looked after," he said.

"Whereas with heroin, there is an antidote drug that is administered by paramedics at the scene. The GHB cases, they don't respond to any drug like that."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemonkeyheaven
Male

Loc: yonder
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: veggie]
    #8528885 - 06/16/08 03:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So how are GHB overdoses 'appropriately managed' lacking an antidote?  If people pass out, you just hope for the best, right?

OfflineDrOli
Biochemist

Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: monkeyheaven]
    #8528904 - 06/16/08 03:31 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

monkeyheaven said:
So how are GHB overdoses 'appropriately managed' lacking an antidote?  If people pass out, you just hope for the best, right?

Activated charcoal, keeping the airway of the patient open, keeping check of the heart rate, (using atropine to counter act brachycardia) and checking for damage in oesophagus from GHB precursor chemicals.

Invisiblemonkeyheaven
Male

Loc: yonder
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: DrOli]
    #8528923 - 06/16/08 03:55 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DrOli said:
Quote:

monkeyheaven said:

Activated charcoal, keeping the airway of the patient open, keeping check of the heart rate, (using atropine to counter act brachycardia) and checking for damage in oesophagus from GHB precursor chemicals.

Great reply!  This explains why the patients need to quickly get to the hospital.  Is it safe to say that it's a good idea to call an ambulance if someone cannot be woken up?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: monkeyheaven]
    #8529370 - 06/16/08 10:12 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Is it safe to say that it's a good idea to call an ambulance if someone cannot be woken up?

That might be a bit premature.  If someone takes a bit much they will go to sleep for 3 hours whether they want to or not.  If I noticed someone would not wake up I would put them on their side and sit with them to make sure they keep breathing and don't throw up.  99% of the time they will wake up in 3 hours.

Quote:

Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin

That is because GHB is a lot more fun than heroin.

Offlinemannyrigs
Stranger
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] *DELETED* [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8529444 - 06/16/08 10:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by mannyrigs

Reason for deletion: immature

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: mannyrigs]
    #8529499 - 06/16/08 11:11 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Where the fuck are you going??, Whats wrong with you?. "If i noticed someone would not wake up" Just slip them on there side anddddd everythings sweet?

I didn't say to just leave them there, I said to sit with them and watch them carefully until they wake up.

That is what I would want my friends to do if it happened to me.  It would be wastefully expensive to wake up in a hospital from a deep sleep when you could have just as easily woken up in your bed at home.

If someone took 20x too much or combined it with alcohol its a different story.  Usually people take two or three times too much and wake up completely refreshed in 3 hours.

I assume you haven't done much GHB...

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8529517 - 06/16/08 11:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

id rather just drink alcohol isnt it healthier

--------------------

OfflineHightimes
Cultured cooties
Male

Loc: aussie land
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: Coaster]
    #8530129 - 06/16/08 02:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

LOL isn't Australia great :tongue2:

--------------------
If you look up to someone, there looking down.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#8531115 - 06/16/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> id rather just drink alcohol isnt it healthier

No, GHB is much easier on your body than alcohol.  Also it is not neurotoxic like alcohol.

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

#8531131 - 06/16/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Alcohol is a poison.. GHB is naturally in your body.. you choose which is better for you lol..

Every time I drink alcohol I feel like I have been poisoned..

Also look up cat scans of alcohol abusing peoples brains... they have HOLES in their brains... FREAKIN HOLES..
If thats not brain damage I don't know what is!

Edited by Grogan (06/16/08 07:22 PM)

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: veggie]
    #8531163 - 06/16/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

wish i could get some GHB :frown:

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: Grogan]
    #8531166 - 06/16/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

rofl ive been readin alot bout ghb and it sounds better in every way than alcohol
shiet ill just take half a shot of ghb and save $100 at teh club

--------------------

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#8531194 - 06/16/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ghb is more dangerous, because of the small dosage and being sold on the black market. if you get liquid you never know how much is in it, if it's diluted or what.

so if you get some be careful coaster. get an accurate mg scale and weigh out the powder, or get it from a reliable source and dose appropriately. and don't mix it with alcohol.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: usg543]
    #8531944 - 06/16/08 10:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

GHB is more dangerous in the short term, alcohol is more dangerous in the long term.

They do almost the same thing but GHB is a lot more fun.

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #8532025 - 06/16/08 11:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Haha it is alot more fun, tastes like abvsolute shite though.
Man ya can make that shit yourself no worries, its filled with scum

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#8532038 - 06/16/08 11:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
GHB is more dangerous in the short term, alcohol is more dangerous in the long term.

i have to disagree. ghb is less dangerous than alcohol period. why would the TREAT alcoholism with a "more dangerous" drug in the short term. makes no sense whatsoever.

i've done extensive research on the effects of alcohol on the body vs the effects of ghb on the body, and i cannot think of anything to substantiate your claim at all.

the only thing that makes it more dangerous is because its 1) on the black market 2) mixing it with alcohol is a bad combo 3) it's active at lower doses compared to alcohol (easier to OD if you don't have the proper measuring equipment) but this goes along with the whole war on drugs thing.

edit: hell scientists in Britain rated it safer than lsd, safter than cannabis, and safer than tobacco... http://health.howstuffworks.com/drug-ranking.htm

do you have anything to back up your claim? i'd be interested to know. personally i would take GHB over alcohol any day if i could find a legit pharmaceutical source.

Edited by usg543 (06/16/08 11:33 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#8532136 - 06/16/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> do you have anything to back up your claim?

The reason GHB is more dangerous in the short term is that you have to take exactly the right amount, its easy to take 1.5 capfulls instead of one and pass out in public.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#8532185 - 06/17/08 12:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

although i agree, that's a retarded reason. there are more reported alcohol only deaths than ghb only deaths. (yes i know alcohol is more widely used and abused).

also, if it were legal like alcohol that wouldn't even be (as big of) an issue. everyone would (should) know the right amounts, and most likely it would be sold as pressed pills. most people don't have milligram scales sitting around.

just because people are ignorant does not mean it is more dangerous in the short term, at least in my opinion. know your mind and body and what you are putting in it.

given that a user is completely informed and knowledgeable about dosage and effects. i think GHB is a much healthier drug for your body and mind than alcohol.

the only reason you gave was ignorance of dosage, which i already stated, so do you have anything constructive to add??

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#8532204 - 06/17/08 12:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

here are my reasons:

GHB, is a naturally-occurring substance found in the central nervous system, wine, beef, small citrus fruits, and almost all animals in small amounts.

It is also a neuroprotective therapeutic nutrient.

Historically, GHB has been used in a medical setting as a general anesthetic, to treat conditions such as insomnia, clinical depression, narcolepsy, and alcoholism, and to improve athletic performance.

GHB is naturally produced in the human body's cells and is structurally related to the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate.

GHB is also produced as a result of fermentation, and so is found in small quantities in some beers and wines. (some alcohols actually contain GHB, i think i remmeber certain Wines have higher levels)

Another positive effect of using GHB is as a sleep aid. A small dosage will induce a relaxed state, maybe euphoria, and drowsiness. Using a higher dosage will help the user fall asleep quickly. GHB aids in the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) and slow-wave sleep, and unlike other sleep aids, GHB will not interrupt any stages of the natural sleep patterns. This is important in obtaining a complete nights rest.

Along with euphoria, relaxation it can also enhance your sensuality, lower your anxiety, and inhibitions. It can also exhibit prosexual effects by improving your sense of touch, which in sex can enhance a mans erectile capacity. It can also increase ones sensitivity on an orgasm.

But athletes choose GHB over alcohol, because unlike alcohol, GHB will not hinder athletic performance. Also, needless to say, GHB will not cause hangovers the next day. Sometimes GHB is used as an effective treatment of alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

Many people also feel refeshed the day after using GHB, while a night of heavy drinking many feel a bad hangover.

GHB's effects last only a few hours during which it metabolizes into CO2 and H2O leaving no toxic metabolites.

When taken infrequently with carefully measured doses and no chance of accidental Overdose, many people find GHB to be a pleasant alcohol replacement.

GHB has been associated with 60 deaths in the US as of Jan 2000, according to the DEA, though only ~20 have been confirmed as GHB-only deaths.

Yes GHB is dangerous and can be habit forming, but so is alcohol. Alcohol has worse effects on the body as a whole as well.

edit: and when i speak of safety i am speaking of a knowledgeable and informed adult. if it were legal there would be more information and age restrictions just like alcohol.

Edited by usg543 (06/17/08 12:35 AM)

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Use of drug GHB growing faster than heroin [AU] [Re: Grogan]
    #8532284 - 06/17/08 01:18 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Grogan said:
Alcohol is a poison.. GHB is naturally in your body.. you choose which is better for you lol..

Means nothing- at all

Quote:

Also look up cat scans of alcohol abusing peoples brains... they have HOLES in their brains... FREAKIN HOLES..
If thats not brain damage I don't know what is!

No they don't.

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #8532553 - 06/17/08 04:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
its easy to take 1.5 capfulls instead of one and pass out in public.

Haha i can agree with that, a mate of mine conked out from takin too much one time, he was out for a while, pretty scary shit

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds