Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
Mixing Melzer's reagent
    #8527406 - 06/15/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I read an article recently that tincture of iodine can have unreliable results that do not necessarily reflect what we read in field guide.

So, with the help of a family member I acquired a vintage bottle of chloral hydrate that had been stored at a small town pharmacy for decades. I consulted a few people regarding the stability of the compound and they all seemed to believe it would be fine.

The pharmacist gave up the bottle of CH free of charge, and tossed in a bottle of iodine crystals as well -- Midwestern hospitality at its finest... or most sinister... (pardon he digression, but not more than a year ago the city manager of this very town was arrested for drugging his wife and performing sex acts that she was ordinarily adverse to. Apparently this pharmacist didn't read the local paper, otherwise I think he would have not been so loose with the Mickey Finn knockout ingredient). 

Below is a series of pictures taken while mixing it up. For simple convenience I used the formula from mushroomexpert.com, click here to read the page.
Quote:

[Melzer's reagent]
Water: 22.0 gm
Chloral hydrate: 20.0 gm
Iodine crystals: .5 gm
Potassium iodide (KI): 1.5 gm

Will it go down smooth? Quick!!! can i drink this stuff?!?!?!?!? i need to know NOW!!! The Dark Star Love and Light Experiment with special guest Micky Heart goes on stage in 20 minutes!!! :rolleyes::headbanger::yesnod::goodmorning:

Edited by georgeM (06/15/08 05:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mixing Melzer's reagent [Re: georgeM]
    #8527448 - 06/15/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yeah... during clean up I learned the porcelain in my kitchen sink is strongly amyloid. With quick action i was able to remove the bluish black spots. It would have made a funny picture but i wanted to get it cleaned up fast as i already have a table with an iodine stain... the table, incidentally, is strongly dextrinoid. :igor:

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8527458 - 06/15/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Its Mickey Hart no worries though:lol:im just messin with you dude...but it is mickey hart.:thumbup:

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mixing Melzer's reagent [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8527493 - 06/15/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Damnit... I meant to type "The Electric Dark Star Orchestra Love and Light Experiment with special guest Mikey Hart"

InvisibleDannyGlick

#8527596 - 06/15/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

georgeM,a man of science.:spock:

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #8528068 - 06/15/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This is hardcore! :rockon:

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mixing Melzer's reagent [Re: scout24]
    #8528241 - 06/15/08 09:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

either a man of science, hardcore, or just someone who.... likes recipes... there is no "i like recipes" emoticon so here is one that is kinda symbolic of domesticity :nicekitty:

I just tried the Melzer's out on some Lepiota spores... the reaction was quick and pronounced. There is something about the consistency of the Melzer's that seems to work much more nicely on the slide, yes, it's like butter. Another advantage over tincture of iodine I noticed; due to the absence of alcohol you don't have to constantly give the coverslip "drinks" of water from the edge to prevent drying.

Having the specimen dry out really sucks when you are working with oil immersion -- one slip-up and you smear it all over and the tincture get mixed with the oil... don't you just hate it when that happens... :nerd:

InvisibleDannyGlick

#8528267 - 06/15/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

>I just tried the Melzer's out on some Lepiota spores... the reaction was quick and pronounced.

Out of my realm but what was the reaction?What would the reaction determine?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mixing Melzer's reagent [Re: DannyGlick]
    #8528389 - 06/15/08 10:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Meltzer's is how you test for amyloid.

The specimen will turn blue-black for positive (amyloid). If you've ever seen a potato with a drop of iodine placed on it then you know exactly what I mean.

The specimen will become a red-brown color like the iodine solution for a negative reaction (inamyloid).

It will become a purplish color for a dextrinoid result (pseudoamyloid).

Those reactions on spores are pretty important for IDing.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8528392 - 06/15/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Essentially it functions as a stain for microscopy that has diagnostic properties. Mushroom spores and tissues, depending on the species, can react to iodine in a couple different ways. They can turn reddish brown, known as a "dextrinoid" reaction. They can turn bluish black, which is an "amyloid" reaction. Or they simply don't change color at all... "inamyloid".

If you check a description in one of your field guides or at mushroomexpert.com you see the terms used. It can be a really handy little trick for assisting in IDs.

You should try it! Get a bottle of tincture of iodine from the local drug store for a couple dollars. The make your spore prints on glass or some other non-reactive surface, paper will not work and the top of most pizza boxes are amyloid. Then place a drop of the solution on the spores and check the color. Clear glass is really handy because you can hold it up to the light.

InvisibleDannyGlick

#8529647 - 06/16/08 12:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for explaining that Toxic and george.That's pretty darn neat.:thumbup:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8530118 - 06/16/08 02:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:congrats:  George.  You've got yourself a pretty cool reagent.  Hard to come by (unless you "know somebody").

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale