Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskate17ohs
Mushroom Student
Male

bulk substrate ratio and recipie help
    #8509210 - 06/10/08 10:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Im getting ready to spawn WBS to a bulk substrate for the first time. I want to do a 1:4 ratio of spawn to substrate. My plan is to use Coir and Worm castings in what I think is a 50/50 mix. This is what I was thinking for 1 quart jar (Im doing 5 jars this is just to help with my math)to use 1/4 of a brick of coir and 2 quarts of worm castings. I think this should be a 50/50 mix of coir and worm castings and a 1:4 ratio of spawn to substrate. Does this work out, make any sense. Suggestions welcome.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: skate17ohs]
    #8509929 - 06/11/08 02:11 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Why don't you use horse manure as well?
There is a butt-load of posts/teks/info on 50/50 bulk. You can't possibly have made it this far without reading them, (or maybe you could).

IME, your only going to get chastised for not doing your homework. Believe me, I went through it.

If you can't find the answers to the easy questions on the site, then mycology is too hard a hobby for you. I'm trying to break it to you easy here.

Take a half hour and just search for the answer on the site.

1) No-one will type loudly at you.
2) You'll have a great sense of accomplishment.
3) You'll know what your doing, (which will make this hobby all the more fun).

I honestly hope that you succeed!

Search in "search our forums" for 50/50 recipe , 50/50 tek, casing 101, casing, etc. AND READ, READ, READ!:goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8509951 - 06/11/08 02:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, it seems that the new guy has a firmer grasp on what he's trying to do than the older user trying to chastise him for not doing his homework.  First of all, 50/50 as you describe it in the teks you recommend, BrandNewbie, is a casing tek, and pretty much unrelated to the questions that skate is asking.  I think it's you who needs to do his homework. 

Skate.. If you are going to be going with a coir/casting substrate, the typical ratio is ~70/30.  I add ~10% verm into there so that it stays airy.  If you use as much castings as you describe, you substrate will become muddier than you may want it to be.  Just a friendly warning.  This is How I Make a Coir Bulk Sub.  If you fuck this tek up, you are very wrong. 

I would tend to think that you would need more than a full brick of coir for 5 quarts of spawn, but maybe that's because I would be using more coir than you are talking about.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: thedefone]
    #8510217 - 06/11/08 06:42 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed, don't use 50% worm castings-they get muddy.  Verm will help a lot, but keep worm castings to 10% to 20% of the total unless you use a LOT of vermiculite.

There really isn't a 'recipe' for bulk substrates, since the range of what works is so wide.  In fact, you can use the coir all by itself and get good results.  If memory serves correctly, you'll get about 7 quarts of hydrated coir from a typical pet store brick.

Other things to add are your leftover coffee grinds that have been pasteurized and leached by making a pot of coffee, horse or cow manure, even the bagged up stuff from the local nursery. a small amount of composted chicken manure will help grow some monsters, but keep it to 5% of the total substrate.

Mix in up to 10% by volume gypsum to keep it loose and to supply calcium and sulfur to the mycelium.  A side benefit to gypsum is it helps avoid pH swings, but that's really more of a concern in casing layers.

Don't forget to pasteurize the mix after hydrating to field capcity by maintining the center of your substrate at 140F to 160F for an hour. (60C - 70C).
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8510483 - 06/11/08 08:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The only thing I would add is that I wouldn't recommended attempting to saw a coir brick in half. Either use the whole thing or don't, you'll be wasting your energy and create a hell of a mess trying to divided it up.

I like to use a coir brick, composted cow manure and spent coffee grounds, vermiculite and gypsum. I hydrate/mix them in that order in separate buckets and then put them all together.

6-8 qt Coir (1 brick)
4 qt Composted Cow Manure
3 qt spent coffee grounds
4 qt Verm
2 qt Gypsum

This gives me about 20 qts (give or take) that I then spawn with 5 rye jars. If you are going to use 1 spawn jar to 4 jars of sub you could do that, assuming you didn't want to put all your eggs in one basket. It would still be easier to calculate the ratio and mix it "all" up at once though, even if you pasteurize through boiling jars in a pot on the stove.

I previously used the same mix but with two bricks of coir, omitting the Cow Manure. Due to the variation in the coir bricks I also had to use 6 spawn jars to insure a good ratio, which was really annoying due to the odd number (only 10 fit in my PC, two sets of 5, etc etc)

Offlineskate17ohs
Mushroom Student
Male

Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: xeallos]
    #8510572 - 06/11/08 09:12 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks everyone! I have been doing tons of research on bulk recipes and thats where my confusion stemmed from. There is just so much variation and personal preference that its hard to come up with a good idea for a noob. All this advice has defiantly given me food for thought.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: xeallos]
    #8511295 - 06/11/08 01:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

xeallos said:
The only thing I would add is that I wouldn't recommended attempting to saw a coir brick in half. Either use the whole thing or don't, you'll be wasting your energy and create a hell of a mess trying to divided it up.

a vice and a sawzall.  works great.  otherwise that's a good ratio you posted.  that's about what i use (besides the verm)  and i always have great results

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: thedefone]
    #8514766 - 06/12/08 10:33 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
Well, it seems that the new guy has a firmer grasp on what he's trying to do than the older user trying to chastise him for not doing his homework.  First of all, 50/50 as you describe it in the teks you recommend, BrandNewbie, is a casing tek, and pretty much unrelated to the questions that skate is asking.  I think it's you who needs to do his homework.

Hey back off loser. I wasn't recommending any tek. I was explaining how to search for teks. Something that I had to find out how to do on my own.
I really don't understand how my exemplary English and composition skills can so easily be misconstrued.
I'm giving the information that I would have enjoyed getting when I first signed on, without being a prick about it, and I resent the fact that you don't get it.
In this case I'm taking the crap that the other noob would have gotten had I not responded in a civil, helpful manner.
Get over the bullshit man, try being an American for gods sake...  :doublefu:

--------------------

Edited by BrandNewbie (06/12/08 10:46 AM)

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #8514786 - 06/12/08 10:39 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Someone has some anger issues...

And whats wrong with not being american? :lol:

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: bulk substrate ratio and recipie help [Re: Neobean]
    #8514796 - 06/12/08 10:42 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Coir bricks can be easily separated without sawing or making a mess.  The brick is stacked and compressed in layers.  You can easily pry a screwdriver into the long side and separate the block into whatever size you need, leaving the rest dry.  If you try to slice it like a loaf of bread, you make a mess and have a hard time.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8514798 - 06/12/08 10:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Look man, no-one is perfect. The whole world can't be American...

...yet. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #8514809 - 06/12/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
Look man, no-one is perfect. The whole world can't be American...

...yet. :grin:

If the Terminator can be an American, anyone can.

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8514826 - 06/12/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

If the Terminator can be an American, anyone can.

Arnold is my bodybuilding idol and he's not too shabby a character actor, but American?

You can't even carry a loaded gun in California! California isn't part of America...:suicide:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8514850 - 06/12/08 10:59 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Knock off the American talk folks.  This is a cultivation forum and we have members world-wide.  There's already a mindset that Americans are arrogant assholes.  Don't confirm it for them-you make us look bad.  This better be the last off-topic post in this thread.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#8517424 - 06/12/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

double post

--------------------

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

#8517427 - 06/12/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

a small amount of composted chicken manure will help grow some monsters, but keep it to 5% of the total substrate.

Thanks Roger, that's a good tip..  Also, it's easy to break apart a coir brick, you just have to go about it in the right way.  Don't try and cut across it, but rather, cut with the grain and you'll get right through it.  The coir I buy comes in big, four cubic foot bricks and I have to break up.

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
I'm giving the information that I would have enjoyed getting when I first signed on, without being a prick about it, and I resent the fact that you don't get it.
In this case I'm taking the crap that the other noob would have gotten had I not responded in a civil, helpful manner.

Really?  When you use insults, you're the person not acting in a civil manner.  Sorry if I pissed you off, but your post came across as giving wrong information, and I'm going to correct that when I see it.. every time.  :peace:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate