Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
Horrible luck with petri dishes
    #8511391 - 06/11/08 03:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hello guys, i started experimenting with petri dishes lately, mostly i wanted to use them to test the spore syringes i make before i innoc a bunch of jars to see if there contaminated

i bought the potato dextrose premade petri dishes online, and kept them in the sterilized fridge until use

once ready to use i opened the lid just enough to stick the tip of the alcohol flame sterilized syring needle in and squirt a little bit it

i did the spore prints and syringes under as sterile conditions as i could make, pressure cooked the syringes, used the water in the syringe to make the syring, used a glove box, etc

anyhow all the petri dishes are colonizing with everything but good mycelium, heh

the first one was a white spot  that grew and the  middle turned green, at first i thot it was good stuff but i guess not, other ones have yellow blobs which im taking as bacteria, im guessing i should not use these syringes to knock up jars, unless its the petri dishes that were just crap? there is some mycelium growth showing up very small around where the spores were put, this is why im thinking the other growth didnt come from the syring because where the spores were put, its growing what looks like good stuff, but the other stuff is random around the petri dish

anyhow i just wanted some feedback from you guys, think its the dishes? what should i do, also if several type of things grow in there, could i still take the good mycelium out and use it for something, if its not touching contamination? ive read something about petri dishes being used for this purpose? i dont know

maybee i will make a few jars and knock them up with the syringes and see what happens, then maybee i can see if its the petri dish that was already contaminated, maybee i will take one out of the fridge that wasnt opened yet to see if it colonizes...

i will take pics later if you guys wants, its a shmorgiborg(sp?) of stuff going on in there, and i was super sterile, cleaned everything with alcohol before putting it in the glove box, then cleaned it with alcohol after putting it in the glove box after i cleaned the glove box it self with alcohol, so i think its the dishes, i will make my own next time

--------------------
I've found myself, and found nothing...
My NEW GROW ROOM BITCHES!!!
My Current HPOO Project!

and this is a chipmunk on my hand

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

Re: Horrible luck with petri dishes [Re: WakingUp]
    #8511415 - 06/11/08 03:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't mess with petri dishes unless you had a flowhood.  It can be done in a glovebox with VERY sterile conditions, but I wouldn't recommend it.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Horrible luck with petri dishes [Re: Jrsxt]
    #8511559 - 06/11/08 04:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I for one have always have horrible luck with dishes and would rather just make up an lc with anything suspect and than a few test jars to be safe before making and wasting a ton of spawn,I know I more than likely will not be playing with them again unless I get a flowhood

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Horrible luck with petri dishes [Re: Blutjager]
    #8511667 - 06/11/08 04:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If you're having bad luck with petri dishes, it's because things are being put on them other than mushroom mycelium or spores.

Next time, don't make syringes.  Swipe spores directly on the agar using an inoculating loop.  Transfer healthy mycelium away from any contaminants at their first sign.

Agar is so good for mushrooms because anything that gets on it will grow.  When you have a clean agar culture, you have a CLEAN culture.

People have used gloveboxes for agar work for years.  It's just not something you can do in open air or under dirty conditions.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Horrible luck with petri dishes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8512192 - 06/11/08 07:30 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you're having bad luck with petri dishes, it's because things are being put on them other than mushroom mycelium or spores.

Next time, don't make syringes.  Swipe spores directly on the agar using an inoculating loop.  Transfer healthy mycelium away from any contaminants at their first sign.

Agar is so good for mushrooms because anything that gets on it will grow.  When you have a clean agar culture, you have a CLEAN culture.

People have used gloveboxes for agar work for years.  It's just not something you can do in open air or under dirty conditions.
RR

so i just need more practice/experience getting this right ? you dont think i got precontaminated dishes? i would say where i got them but its not a sponsor, i looked on all the sponsor sites cause thats where i buy everything but they didnt have any, or were out of stock

--------------------
I've found myself, and found nothing...
My NEW GROW ROOM BITCHES!!!
My Current HPOO Project!

and this is a chipmunk on my hand

Invisiblewisp

Re: Horrible luck with petri dishes [Re: WakingUp]
    #8512233 - 06/11/08 07:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Practise makes perfect.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals