Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
walking - good cardio?
    #8508178 - 06/10/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

is this a good cardio workout, compared to running? 

i'd rather take really long walks than run around the block.  but if running is that much healthier of an exercise...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: deranger]
    #8508196 - 06/10/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Here's a chart which outlines calorie expenditure (roughly) by type of exercise. Walking is just below table tennis. :lol: Looks like running is about 2-3 times as strenuous, but if it's between an hour of walking or 10-20 minutes jogging, I think it would be about the same. :shrug:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: Cameron]
    #8508224 - 06/10/08 05:53 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

guess my routine needs some adjustments.  it's the extra energy i'm looking for :thumbup:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8508229 - 06/10/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Your chart distinguishes between slow walking (3 mph) and power walking (probably 4 - 5 mph).  Power walking is an excellent cardio workout, and easier on your knees than running.  For an extra boost, I like to do intervals of 3 mins. power walking to 1 min. running.  :thumbup:  If you live in a hilly area, or you can find stairs to power walk on, you can do intervals of level ground to slope in the same ratio.

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

#8508239 - 06/10/08 05:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Kettle bell swings are much more intense than either walking or running.  If you looking for a great cardio work out try kettle bells or.... Tabata sprints.  Tabata sprints are 20 seconds of running as fast as you can, then 10 seconds walking. Alternate these for 4 minutes.  It will definitely give you a great cardio workout. I usually do two sets but technically you are supposed to do from three to five sets.  The first time I did it I felt like I was going to die, I was shaky for a good five minutes after finishing and sore for a week.  When I started doing the Tabata sprints I was running three to five miles a day and these sprints absolutely exhausted me (just 4 little minutes!).  Anyway, it is a wonderful cardio exercise.

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: Veritas]
    #8508250 - 06/10/08 06:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

do guys powerwalk? :lol: jk.

there's this mountain behind my house that i usually walk up.  but power walking seems like a good plan.  maybe even running, but my laziness usually interferes. :thumbdown:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: sunflower]
    #8508267 - 06/10/08 06:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thank's a lot for the kettle bell recommendation, short intense exercises are exacly what i'm looking for.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #8508320 - 06/10/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Walking of any sort is NOT a cardio workout. It is called moving from place to place...not exercise. You need to get your heart rate up to these levels to be cardio.
http://www.health24.com/fitness/Cardio/16-1371-2173,19285.asp
If walking can do this then you need to be be MUCH more active. I push my heart rate upwards to about 170 on some cardio...and I am well over 40.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #8508326 - 06/10/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SyntheticMInd said:

i'd rather take really long walks than run around the block.  but if running is that much healthier of an exercise...

compared to running.... no.  compared to sitting on your ass.........  yes.

try something else like biking or rollerblading instead of running if youre not fond of it. rollerblading is much much easier on the joints and is a damn good cardio workout.

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #8508356 - 06/10/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Walking of any sort is NOT a cardio workout. It is called moving from place to place...not exercise. You need to get your heart rate up to these levels to be cardio.

yeah, i kinda figured you had to get your heart pumping.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8508412 - 06/10/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If you are sedentary, you can gain a lot from just walking more, and jumping right into intense cardio can be hazardous.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8508438 - 06/10/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jumping right into intense cardio can be hazardous.

There is nothing hazardous about pushing your heart rate into lower cardio zones. It is in fact recommended. I started running at 42 YO and 350 pounds. I couldn't run far at first, but I quickly gained distance and lost weight (Like 150 lbs). I didn't suffer a heart attack or stroke. My health quickly improved.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#8508498 - 06/10/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

at 42 YO and 350 pounds. and lost weight (Like 150 lbs).

Wow congratulations! Thats a great achievement!

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: Asante]
    #8508519 - 06/10/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It was out of desperation. It was a matter of pure survival. It occurred to me one day that I was dying, and this was a distasteful thought.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8509308 - 06/10/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Walking of any sort is NOT a cardio workout. It is called moving from place to place...not exercise.

You have been misinformed.  I agree that slow walking is not a workout, but power walking most definitely IS.  Please do the research & refrain from spreading misinformation.

From the website you linked to:

Quote:

Don't discard walking as a good form of cardiovascular training. In fact, brisk walking can do wonders for your fitness levels and those coronary arteries.

OfflineSampaJasli
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #8509415 - 06/10/08 10:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

one of the things that Ghandi attributed his health and hardiness to was walking everywhere.

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #8509448 - 06/10/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SyntheticMInd said:

i would imagine that you should choose your exercise routine based on your current fitness level. if you are completely out of shape, walking would be a good start. i wouldnt recommend running wind sprints if you havent exercised in this decade.

but for people who are in decent shape,  walking wont do much to increase the heart rate.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: MrBump]
    #8509568 - 06/10/08 11:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yeah if you can feel your heart pumping in your ears your probly pushing it to hard.  but if you can't tell that your heart rate has increased then its not cardio in my book. cardio means heart and if it isn't beating more than normal then it isn't getting a workout

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#8510065 - 06/11/08 04:46 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Please do the research & refrain from spreading misinformation.

Apparently you are misinformed and I am thrilled to correct your information. I know you appreciate having correct information! If you are so out of shape that brisk walking (not power walking) can push your heart rate into the cardio zone, then yes walking will work. Anyone with a minimal level of fitness will not achieve this heart rate with brisk walking. At a very brisk walk I hit about 100 bpm which does not push my heart rate into a zone even optimal for burning calories let alone cardiovascular endurance training. I have measured it. It also must be noted that power walking is MORE injurious than running because it forces the body into an unnatural state of locomotion. Two common causes of injury are walking at a running pace and running at a walking pace. I guess walking is better than nothing...any little bit helps.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (06/11/08 04:55 AM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: walking - good cardio? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8510069 - 06/11/08 04:50 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

eah if you can feel your heart pumping in your ears your probly pushing it to hard.

This type of information is why most people today are fat and in poor physical condition. Pushing your heart to 70% of it's capacity or better is healthy.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale