Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

WBS spawn jar prep: best time to add gypsum?
    #8504134 - 06/09/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hey there guys!  just getting another batch of WBS ready for 20 1.5 L jars.  i rinsed that shit and now it's soaking with 2 Tbsp gypsum in the soak.

i've done this a few times before, but when i was adding the gypsum today I was wondering if the soak is the best time to add it.  wouldn't it make more sense to mix it into the drained WBS right before filling the jars?

my grains are soaking in standing water, and i just feel like a lot of that gypsum is going to be lost when i drain the grains.

what do y'all think?

peace out!

--------------------

Edited by nonlinear (06/09/08 04:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: WBS spawn jar prep: best time to add gypsum? [Re: nonlinear]
    #8504742 - 06/09/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nonlinear said:
hey there guys!  just getting another batch of WBS ready for 20 1.5 L jars.  i rinsed that shit and now it's soaking with 2 Tbsp gypsum in the soak.

i've done this a few times before, but when i was adding the gypsum today I was wondering if the soak is the best time to add it.  wouldn't it make more sense to mix it into the drained WBS right before filling the jars?

my grains are soaking in standing water, and i just feel like a lot of that gypsum is going to be lost when i drain the grains.

what do y'all think?

peace out!

Add it before the soak.

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

Offlinedrwatson
Slacker
 User Gallery

Loc: nowhere land
    #8504803 - 06/09/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I add mine during the simmer and strain it out with the rest of the water.  I don't soak though.  If you don't simmer I'd say add it during the soak.

Just shook some WBS after sitting for 24hr after PCing and it broke right up.

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

Re: WBS spawn jar prep: best time to add gypsum? [Re: drwatson]
    #8505235 - 06/09/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Neobean,

yea i've read that a lot too, but i'm wondering WHY people add it then as opposed to post-soak grain.  adding it to your soak water just seems like a big waste of gypsum to me.

--------------------

InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind the ...
    #8505617 - 06/09/08 11:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I add it after the grains are hydrated, before I load the jars up for PCing. Mix it all up bit by bit in a big ol bowl.
It really doesn't seem logical to add it at any other point, maybe I'm missing something. I'm really confused and surprised at these other responses...:justdontknow:

edit-well I'll be, did a quick search and it seems many if not most add the gypsum during soak periods. Meh works both ways I suppose. Regardless gypsum is to grain jars as bbq sauce is to everything edible! fookin awesome.

Edited by Green420Thang (06/09/08 11:05 PM)

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #8506663 - 06/10/08 09:24 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nonlinear said:
Neobean,

yea i've read that a lot too, but i'm wondering WHY people add it then as opposed to post-soak grain.  adding it to your soak water just seems like a big waste of gypsum to me.

If you soak and simmer with the same water, it isn't a waste. RR does it like this and it serves one excellent purpose: Grains won't stick together after PC. You can always add it after simmering, but why would you want to mix it into the grain? It won't be as effective since the gypsum won't be spread out evenly...IMO.

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind the ...
Re: WBS spawn jar prep: best time to add gypsum? [Re: Neobean]
    #8507278 - 06/10/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When I add the gypsum after hydrating, I never have any problems getting it to mix evenly. I don't add it all at once, a good bit at a time, and mix with a spoon. Seems it works both ways to get a result of non-stick grains. YAY!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WBS spawn jar prep: best time to add gypsum? [Re: Green420Thang]
    #8507302 - 06/10/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If you add a dry powder to a wet substance such as hydrated grains, it sticks to the first kernels it lands on and doesn't move.  In addition, it will absorb moisture, throwing off your mix.  Add gypsum at the soak stage and stir well.  Stir well again as you simmer and the gypsum will coat all the grains.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains