Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledanknugz81
spiralingdownward
Male

Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close
    #8492003 - 06/06/08 09:03 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.alternet.org/election08/87225/?page=entire

Quote:

By Guy T. Saperstein, AlterNet. Posted June 6, 2008.

In early December 2007, at a time when Hillary Clinton was tracking 20-plus points ahead of the Democratic field in national polls, I published an article contending that Hillary Clinton was an inherently weak candidate, a beatable candidate, and that Barack Obama would be a stronger match against Republicans.

I argued that she had the highest "unfavorable" rating of anyone who ever had run for the presidency; that she was the only Democratic candidate who could unite and energize the Republican base; that she was running 10 to 15 points behind in generic Democrat vs. Republican presidential polls; that her head-to-head matchups with the Republican candidates were poor; that in Iowa, where she was the only female candidate with seven men, she was polling only 26 percent; that several Democratic U.S. Senate candidates had told me she would pull the ticket down in their states; and that Bill was a potentially large, uncontrollable liability (even I did not know how true that prediction would become!). Hillary never was "inevitable." The evidence of her imminent demise was there for anyone who wanted to look.

OK, that was then, this is now.

The November presidential election is not going to be close. Barack Obama is going to beat John McCain by 8 to 10 points in the national popular vote and win 300 to 350 electoral votes. Obama is going to wipe out McCain mano a mano.

I am far more confident making this prediction than I was in predicting Hillary's demise. There are many reasons why.

The Political Environment

The Republican Party is led -- and branded -- by an extraordinarily unpopular president, whose policies McCain has staunchly defended and supported (95 percent voting congruence in 2007). In the recent CBS News/NYTimes poll, Bush is at 28 percent approval, 65 percent disapproval; in the Hart/Newhouse poll, he is at 27 percent approval, 66 percent disapproval. While some presidents have fallen to low levels in the past, what is truly remarkable about Bush is how long-term and persistent voter disapproval of him has been, and the depth of voter sentiment: A May 12 Washington Post/ABC poll showed only 15 percent of voters "strongly approve," while 52 percent "strongly disapprove."

Voters think, correctly, that the country is on the wrong track. In the Hart/Newhouse poll, 15 percent of voters said the country was headed in the "right direction," while an astounding 73 percent said "wrong direction." Remember, these polls include all voters, not just Democrats.

On issues, Republicans are on the short end of everything except the military and national security. Among voters, in the NYTimes/CBS poll, when asked which party is better, on health care 63 percent say Democrats while only 19 percent say Republicans; the economy, 56 percent say Democrats, 28 percent say Republicans; sharing your moral values, 50 percent say Democrats, 34 percent say Republicans; and, dealing with Iraq, 50 percent say Democrats, 34 percent say Republicans. The Democratic Party has a 52 percent favorable and 41 percent unfavorable rating; the Republican Party has a 33 percent favorable and 58 percent unfavorable rating. A whopping 63 percent say the United States needs to withdraw from Iraq within 12 months; McCain wants to stay roughly forever -- and attack Iran. The Washington Post/ABC poll asked, "Which party do you trust to do a better job coping with the main problems the nation faces over the next few years?" Democrats were chosen over Republicans, 53 percent to 32 percent.

The U.S. economy is sinking (while McCain has said he doesn't know much about the economy); gas prices are skyrocketing; the housing market has collapsed and people are losing their homes; and the Iraq Recession shows no signs of abating.

McCain has been able to stay close to parity in polls matching him with Obama, but that is the product of the bashing Obama has taken from the Clinton campaign. Once that internal scrap is behind him and he can go head to head against McCain, his polling is going to soar.

Even in fund-raising, a traditional Republican strength, the Republicans are at a disadvantage. At last reported count, Obama had $51 million in cash on hand; McCain had $11 million. In the combined cash of the national party committees, Republicans had $55.5 million; Democrats $87.1 million. The netroots has raised unprecedented amounts of money for Democrats, especially Obama; labor unions have gone deeper into their pockets and are raising more money for Democrats than in prior elections; and, even business PACs have given more money to Democrats! Business blows with the wind, and it knows which way the wind is blowing.

Simply put, this is the worst possible time for any Republican to be running for president. And this is not simply my opinion; it is an opinion that has many adherents in the Republican Party and among traditional Republican supporters. Representative Tom Davis, from Virginia, in an internal memo to Republicans, recently wrote, "The political atmosphere facing Republicans this November is the worst since Watergate and is far more toxic than the fall of 2006.The Republican brand is in the trash can. If we were dog food, they would take us off the shelf."

The Candidates

While many ardent Democrats would disagree with this assessment, I personally consider McCain to be an honorable, decent man. I have enormous respect for -- and cannot forget -- the fact that he declined the opportunity to be released from a North Vietnamese prison because his father had been a Navy admiral and chose instead to stay with his comrades for 5½ years. Very few of us would have done that -- I know I would not have. There is a loyalty and integrity there that we need to remember and honor. And, despite efforts to disparage the "maverick" label, the reality is that, for a substantial part of his political career, he was a Republican maverick on a variety of issues, including the environment, immigration, campaign reform, taxes and the budget. These are not inconsequential disagreements with the Republican Party, and he has been almost singular in being willing to disagree with the Republican establishment. But that is the previous incarnation of McCain, not the version we've seen for the last four years or the version who has to run between now and November.

The problem with McCain is that his brain is no longer working. There is something wrong. Many doctor friends of mine hypothesize Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, which is consistent with his 5½ years of great stress in prison and which can explain his violent temper, his memory lapses and his frequent mental disconnects. It also is possible that he is suffering mini-strokes, which cause momentary double vision, partial blackouts and confusion, and which could explain why he can say incredibly stupid things, sometimes the same dumb thing several times in one day, without appearing to understand what he just said. Whatever the specific cause, he is not healthy, and mentally he is struggling to hold it together.

What we are going to see in the general election from McCain is a ton of mistakes. The very thing the press likes about him, his candor and shoot-from-the-hip style, is going to kill him when the full weight of media attention is trained on him. He never has been a good speaker with a prepared text (last night, his speech was characteristically wooden, with several word confusions). The media has always loved the quick, gritty, candid McCain, but that version is gone; he now is a damaged, slower-thinking McCain, but his habits will remain the same. He will still try to be the quick wit, the maverick; it just isn't going to work. And while McCain is still capable (with help) of firing off some zingers that hit, he will be unable to sustain a narrative -- or fool the American voters -- for the next five months. This is not just about being 71; it is about being a very old 71. It might be sad to watch, but I for one will have no sympathy. There is too much at stake.

Obama is the perfect candidate for Democrats, and a nightmare for McCain. Obama, who by every metric is a brilliant strategist, thinker and speaker, is going to run circles around McCain. McCain, who is not a very good speaker even on his best day, will appear slow, befuddled and confused; he will make gaffes. Obama will be charismatic, smart, thoughtful, high-minded, alert and substantive. It will be no contest. And adding to Obama's natural advantages, McCain has just enough integrity to try to match up with Obama on issues. In that debate on substance, Obama's overwhelming intellectual superiority and mental alertness will become obvious. There will be the believers, who have jumped aboard the Obama campaign and will continue to multiply, but there also is going to be another type of vote that is going to swing heavily to Obama: the default vote. Voters are going to default to Obama because it will become obvious that McCain simply is not up to the task of being president.

This is going to be the first not-close presidential election since 1988. You heard it here first.

what do you think? do you think it will be the landslide this writer predicts, or do you think it will be another close call?

i think the fact that obama is bi-racial is going to heavily influence the "white vote" to go with McCain in some of the middle states, but what about traditional red states like VA, where obama is beginning to campain and may make some headway, especially with the (many) minorities in Virginia?

I, myself do not feel it will be a super-landslide, but i don't think it will be anywhere near as close as the 2000 elections. Obama will be the next president, without a doubt.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: danknugz81]
    #8492046 - 06/06/08 09:18 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Obama's strategy during the primary was to apply more focus on state's he knew his opponent would not.  He was particularly adept at finding and turning out blacks and younger voters.

I know, I was on the campaign.

If he applies this strategy to the general election, he might very well win in a landslide.

My prediction last year was that a black man simply could not beat Hillary! Clinton given her machine and the backing of the party.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

If Obama creates a "sellable" idea to boost the economy and ease the pressure at the pump, he will do quite well.  On the War issue he beats the snot out  of McCain.  The public simply is tired of it.

Also remember that he beat Hillary! by more than the figures actually show.  Rush Limbaugh pumped up the Republicans to "keep the fight going" by voting for her.  She won Indiana by less than the number of crossover votes (7%).

His biggest hurdle, at the moment, is to woo back as many Hillarities (read women) without adding her to the ticket.  I do not think many people realize the intense hatred of Hillary! by even Democrats (for a number of reasons).  Adding her to the ticket may not be the solution to his winning the presidency.

Who will win?

Right now NO ONE has a clue.

OfflineC.M. Mann
subconscious explorer
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: danknugz81]
    #8492308 - 06/06/08 10:55 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You seem to forget that the public opinion rating of Congress was even lower than President Bush!

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #8492841 - 06/06/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I disagree and think it will in fact be a very close election.

Barring a serious third-party candidate on the Republican side (does that count as a pun?) I think you'll see the standard 52-48 or so split in the general.  Both candidates are relatively attractive to the independent voters, but you'll still have the large percentage of people who cannot bring themselves to vote for someone from the other party.

I don't dislike John Mccain.  I don't think he'd be a bad President if elected.  But the fact that he associates, at least by his political affiliation, with a party that vocally hate homosexuals, are against the teaching of many of the fundamental principles of science for no good reason, and are actively seeking to make a theocratic nation out of the United States means that I could never, in good conscience, vote for him.

I don't believe John Mccain holds these views, which is the reason he is disliked by much of his party.

But I'll be voting Democratic, as I always have, and I think the majority of the other people will stick to their electoral traditions as well.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8492915 - 06/06/08 02:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

LOL.

Yeah... your average Republican hates him some homos, thinks fossils are a hoax, and can't wait to impose Sharia law on the US.

Exaggerate much, buddy?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: Phred]
    #8492978 - 06/06/08 02:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That depends on which part of the country you're in.

I'm not sure how often you get up to the mainland, but you should take a drive through Utah sometime.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8493017 - 06/06/08 02:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
but you'll still have the large percentage of people who cannot bring themselves to vote for someone from the other party.

This part is incorrect.  Party loyalists with the Democratic Party run about 15-20%; in the Republican party it is about 10%.  With at least 80% of Democrats and 90% of Republicans willing to cross party lines, I don't consider that to be a large percentage.

Nevertheless, you may be correct.  It might be a close race because anything can happen at this point, even assassination.  I would prefer either candidate to win by a large margin.  Mandate and all that, you know.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8493040 - 06/06/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

There is a big difference between saying you would hypothetically vote for some mythically great candidate that happened to have the wrong letter behind his name and actually voting for a flawed candidate from the other party.

Those numbers just sound screwy.  Do you really think only 10% of registered Republicans vote Republican in almost every election?  Or 20% of Democrats?

--------------------

Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer
I'm a teapot

#8493166 - 06/06/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I think Obama wins the general becuase he has better soundbytes than McCain.  I know this is a simple  theory but hes going to  have better clips on mainstream media.

InvisibleBaeosistine
ڜڭۑۄڴڡڟژۻۼئٹ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: England
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: cottlestonpie]
    #8493452 - 06/06/08 04:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

McCain will most likely die before the election, so there will be the sympathy votes for his sucsessor that Obama will have to contend with. Still i think Obama will still win, unless he's shot or something. .:bored:

--------------------
jesus

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: Phred]
    #8493530 - 06/06/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
LOL.

Yeah... your average Republican hates him some homos, thinks fossils are a hoax, and can't wait to impose Sharia law on the US.

Exaggerate much, buddy?

Phred

Apparently you haven't visited Texas recently.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8494510 - 06/06/08 10:47 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
There is a big difference between saying you would hypothetically vote for some mythically great candidate that happened to have the wrong letter behind his name and actually voting for a flawed candidate from the other party.

Those numbers just sound screwy.  Do you really think only 10% of registered Republicans vote Republican in almost every election?  Or 20% of Democrats?

My bad.  I wasn't clear enough.  The term "party loyalist" means someone who will only vote for the members of a particular party. So the figures I quoted mean only that.  Only about 10% of Republicans will only vote for a Republican and only about 15-20% of Democrats will vote only for a Democrat.

This explains why, in some election years, one party will win the presidency while the numbers in congress shift in the other direction.

I know this because I have access to databases for my congressional district.

--------------------

Invisiblepinc
 User Gallery

Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8494815 - 06/07/08 12:07 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i agree, obama has already won...

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: pinc]
    #8495383 - 06/07/08 04:45 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pinc said:
i agree, obama has already won...

It might be an idea to learn about correct usage of tense. :wink:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #8497174 - 06/07/08 07:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I suspect Obama will be assassinated, Hillary will accidentally reveal she is a reptile, and McCain will die of a stroke before the general election. And gloriously, George W. Bush will remain in office.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #8504124 - 06/09/08 04:18 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
but you'll still have the large percentage of people who cannot bring themselves to vote for someone from the other party.

This part is incorrect.  Party loyalists with the Democratic Party run about 15-20%; in the Republican party it is about 10%.  With at least 80% of Democrats and 90% of Republicans willing to cross party lines, I don't consider that to be a large percentage.

Nevertheless, you may be correct.  It might be a close race because anything can happen at this point, even assassination.  I would prefer either candidate to win by a large margin.  Mandate and all that, you know.

No, he's right i think its about 30% percent loyalists in each party.

assassination? my dad keeps saying the same thing!
I cant stand Obama but please don't let that happen!:thumbdown:

and it will be a blowout!

62%-38%

President John McCain - get used to saying it.:grin:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8504470 - 06/09/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If Obama is assassinated, things will take a very ugly turn for the worse.  Think about it.

The figures I have show the numbers I gave.  It's possible that other areas of the country may fluctuate.  I have also heard from some higher ups in both parties that the percentages I gave were fairly close.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #8504516 - 06/09/08 05:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Think about it.

i don't want to.:sad:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8504746 - 06/09/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Quote:

Madtowntripper said:

No, he's right i think its about 30% percent loyalists in each party.

assassination? my dad keeps saying the same thing!
I cant stand Obama but please don't let that happen!:thumbdown:

and it will be a blowout!

62%-38%

President John McCain - get used to saying it.:grin:

Get you used to saying that the Republicans will hold the congress in 2006, oh wait...

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Obama in a Blowout: The Presidential Election Will Not Be Close [Re: downforpot]
    #8504802 - 06/09/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I said this a long time ago... Obama is a clean slate. He can go any way he wants to. He cant be called a flip flopper, because he hasnt come out strong on hardly anything.
sure, there are some people that find that dissuading, but the majority of american citizens are cattle and pick up catch phrases like a sorority picks up VD.

most americans look at the election the way we look at Pepsi and Coke. We leaned to one side as a child and it basically stuck with us all our lives. we have conditioned ourselves to wallow in knee jerk bias.
"coke makes my teeth chalky", "pepsi is too sweet".

but apply that attitude to McCain and Obama and you got.
"McCain hates asians", "McCain is 104 years old", "McCain is going to keep us in the war indefinitely"... etc etc...
and obama has "his middle name is hussein, white Power!".

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order