Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Florida
Straw & Scotts - Compression ?
    #850387 - 08/29/02 05:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

My friend has worked with straw a great deal in recent months. She is now starting to experiment with Scotts. This morning, she spawned 2 tubs of Scott's:vermiculite at a 50:50 ratio, which was then mixed 50/50 with straw - all previously pasteurized. When using straw only, she uses a brick to compress her substrate, moving it around her tub for the first few days, letting the network establish and hold the straw in place. Should she use any compression with her new substrate mix?

I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMacey Howard

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: babyshroom]
    #850449 - 08/29/02 06:24 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hugs and Kisses!

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Straw & Scotts - Compression ? [Re: Macey Howard]
    #850515 - 08/29/02 07:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

First, I assume your straw is fairly moist, from wet pasturizing? That should take some of the "spring" (expansion factor) out of it.

It is not bad to soak your straw a while, before you pasturize it. Just for that reason (think "limber" straw", LOL).

A mix of Scott's & verm @ 50/50 (after proper pasturization) should be fairly loose / crumbly & will fill in the spaces between the straw as you fill the tub with the combined mix.

You might compress a tiny bit, as you fill the tub to insure there are no big air voids in the substrate. You don't want it too compact.

Save a little Scott / verm mix to top off the container at the end, so no straw is sticking out of the top layer of substrate. Your going to have to just use your own judgement.

Also apply a little extra spawn into the top layer - to insure it colonizes fast & creates a contam sort of barrier of quickly colonized substrate on the top. Again, your just going to have to play it by -- feel.

Good Luck. SixTango

~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Loc: Florida
Re: Straw & Scotts - Compression ? [Re: SixTango]
    #850571 - 08/29/02 07:52 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks SixTango - I agree, everything becomes clear once you work with a medium for a while. Gets to where you KNOW if it's right, with just a glance and a quick feel. My straw was pasteurized stovetep and had it's usual moisture, but my scotts/verm mix dried completely during oven pasteurization. I used sterile water to get the moisture content corrected before I spawned. I did a lot of thin layers, and covered with black plastic when done. Normally (with straw only) I poke a billion little holes and put a brick on top, which I move around the box every 12-24 hours for the first few days. This time, I skipped the holes, laid the plastic on top, loosely tucked around edges of substrate, and compressed a tad by hand. I think I will go home and add a little of my substrate (minus the straw). You're right - without my usual compression, my straw will stick out all over the place. My scotts/verm mix had the consistency you describe, so hopefully I did that alright.
Next box, I will take your advice and finish with a layer of spawn and then more substrate, without the straw. Thanks!!

I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation