Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Incubation Chamber Alittle too hot
    #849168 - 08/28/02 01:45 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey,
I measured my incubation chamber, its about at 30 degrees C, so about 85 to 90 degree F. Ive read that 75-85 degree F is ideal conditions, How can I lower the temperature? Any ideas? Fans?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Incubation Chamber Alittle too hot [Re: Zwieback0]
    #849178 - 08/28/02 01:48 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Fans sound like a great idea, but I would'nt expect more then 5-10 degres temp change. I think they are a good idea, just because a dude was saying about how wind increases weed potency, how about shrooms then I said? In the other direction I accidently discovered a new method to change mushrooms, out of a batch of 40 jars, 2 survived 100-110 degree temp. If the method was continued you could develp a heat resistant shroom, probraly what copalandia's are. Maybe if you figure out that cooling system, you can develop cold resistant shrooms.

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Chamber Alittle too hot [Re: nugsarenice]
    #849194 - 08/28/02 01:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

thx!

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

#849213 - 08/28/02 01:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Any more ideas? Doesnt seem like having the fan on 24/7 for my incubation works out.

OfflinePSILOCYBE_RICKY
Loc: earth
    #849233 - 08/28/02 02:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i began to incubate at 83F, a couple of times the temp went up to 90F the growth was faster and stronger so i decided to leave it around 88F. some jars are done now after only 12 days most of the others need only a couple of days.

OfflineZed
Certified Insane
Re: Incubation Chamber Alittle too hot [Re: PSILOCYBE_RICKY]
    #849268 - 08/28/02 02:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

'ust because a dude was saying about how wind increases weed potency'...

wtf!!??, how would wind increase the potency of weed?, the only thing wind would do is make the plant wush around in its youth, this would make the plant develope fatter/harder stems, which may lead to bigger bud sites.

Zed

--------------------
Rehab is for quitters

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: Incubation Chamber Alittle too hot [Re: Zed]
    #849348 - 08/28/02 03:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Agreed. I grew MJ, and the main purpose of the fan was to birculate the air and allow the stems to become thicker. But I dont care, we are talking about shrooms not MJ, so it doesnt matter unless he is going to grow mj.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #849521 - 08/28/02 05:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

As it has been stated before, Fans DO NOT reduce temperature! The reason humans perceive fans as lowering temperature is because, when a substance evaporates, such a H2O, the surface of the liquid remaining behind is cooled. This happens because the molecules with the greatest energy generally are the first ones to vaporize. IE: Air blown through an area does little to cool the ambient air temperature, which in the case of fruiting mushrooms, is what cultivators are concerned about.

The only way that fans can aid in cooling is by displacing warmer air for cooler air. There may be slightly warmer air built up inside a terrarium, due to the fact that is like a mini greenhouse, however, the temperature inside should not vary by more than a few degrees. So if the air temperature outside of one's terrarium, is say 93 degrees, and the temperature inside the terrarium is 95, the coolest one could expect the tempertature to drop to would be 92 degrees. So if the temperature in one's house is at a reasnable level, like 73 degrees, and the air temperature inside a given terrarium is 95 degrees, A) You're probably doing something wrong as far as lighting is concerned, and B) you probably aren't fanning enough as it is, as this would let out any of the stagnant hot air.

So what can you do? There have been a few sugestions, of which I have tried, as my air temperature in the appartment in which I live is about 95-100 degrees on any given 90+ degree day. This is not good fruiting weather. I have tried a number iof things, all of which were very time consuming, and in general, did very little to drop the air temperature inside my terrarium. As I live by myself, I put my fruiting chamber in the ~25 sq feet which some moron decided to call a kitchen. I ran a bubbler system, which was setup, with an aquarium air pump, in the freezer to draw in cool air, followed by two bottles containing H2O and H2O2 respectively, followed by another 25 feet of tubing coiled inside of a bottle of water in the freezer, which led to a tuppeware container filled with water and a bubbler stone. This was a pain in the ass to live around and it dropped the air temperature inside by maybe three degrees. A lot of work/hassle for little gain. Potentially if the air pump was for a much larger aqiuarium, the drop in Temp would have been slightly lower. Others have had moderate sucsess with ice and ice packs in their terrarium. These are great at dropping the temperaturem, but the constant need of having to replace the packs every few hours coupled with the unstable temperatures made growth difficult and a pain in the ass.

People have seeen sucsess in growing above the temperatures needed for fruiting, though it is not optimal. Good luck, and I hope this has helped.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation