Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Substantial Cake Bluing?
    #8479092 - 06/03/08 11:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Now, Ive done a few searches, and read everything I can about cake Bluing. Ive determined that bluing is mainly caused by rough handling, or dryness... Which is strange, because Ive done neither of these things to my currently pinning cakes.

The entire top of 3 of my 6 cakes are a nice "ethernet cable" blue colour, its incredible. Theyre all on their second flush (I dunked them for 12 hours between flushes, and mist daily) but they dont appear to be dry at all... Additionally, Ive only ever touched them twice (for each dunk) and both times I used unpowdered vinyl gloves... I was very, very gentle with them...

It seems the colour came out almost instantly after they were dunked too... Literally, the night after the 2nd dunking, they changed from snow white, to royal blue.

The fruits from my first flush are also incredibly blue as well, the entire stems and bases were a bright blue, that dried blue/black.

Any idea whats going on here? Any steps I can take to prevent cake bluing... And does it *really* matter?

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Substantial Cake Bluing? [Re: Kagenical]
    #8479132 - 06/03/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When you pluck the mushrooms off often times you will bruise it even if you are careful. Its no big deal I like to bruise them I like the colors. No, but really its fine. Were several of the mushrooms taken from the top? If so thats what happened. No bruising isn't of any concern I think it looks cool.

--------------------

OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Re: Substantial Cake Bluing? [Re: MHbound]
    #8481197 - 06/03/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, thanks for the quick reply :laugh:.

Yeah, I think it might have been from plucking the mushrooms, but they blued in areas where no pins used to be.

They've all started pinning again, but the pins haven't seemed to increase in size whatsoever in the last 3 days, I think they might all abort... I wonder what's going on... Only time will tell I guess.

Thanks again!

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: Substantial Cake Bluing? [Re: Kagenical]
    #8481221 - 06/03/08 08:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When you are picking them, are you pulling forcefully or twisting carefully? Excessive handling will cause the blue tint.

They may take a while longer to grow to full-size. If pinning is slow to grow, check your light cycle, FAE, and humidity. Also, watch carefully for contams, (green as opposed to blue, comes off when swabbed w/ q-tip). These sometimes don't show until they begin to sporulate and this causes inhibited growth.

Good luck, and keep watchful.

~Monk

OfflineKagenical
Stranger

Re: Substantial Cake Bluing? [Re: numonkei]
    #8481870 - 06/03/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Heh, if anything I'm being too watchful. I peek in on them about four times a day, misting once or twice as required.

There's 24/7 FAE from an aquarium pump (filtered air) which bubbles in a small tub of water... RH is pegged at 100% from a very accurate humidistat. Light is 12/12 with a 7w 6600k CFL bulb. I think my conditions are great TBH, so who knows!

I always twist at the base until the shroom pops off... most of the bluing is nowhere near where an old mushroom was removed, which is strange, it's literally at the exact opposite end of all the mushrooms I plucked.

Either way, they're pinning again, I'm looking at 3.5g dry per cake on the first flush, and the second one is coming in at about the same. I think they're alright, just... well... prettier!

Thanks again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag