Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
hey, slow down you crazy mushrooms!
    #847276 - 08/27/02 05:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey all,

So we've been casing our crumbled PF-cakes under a 50/50 verm./peat casing mixture and we follow the tek to the as best we can. So, essentially what's happening to us is that we get some really anxious mushrooms growing directly from the PF-cakes and bypassing the casing completely resulting in uneven pinset. This is all while the casing is covered with tinfoil and not receiving light, so the mushrooms are thin from CO2 buildup but why are they there in the first place?

We have the casing covered in tinfoil and we didn't even look at them for a week, yet mushrooms still grew! Why don't they just take a deep breath and wait until the casing layer has been colonized? And we have read conflicting suggestions on mycelium growth in the casing layer, the FAQ says we only have to wait until the valleys are colonzied whereas the 50/50 tek states that the entire casing layer should be colonized so this has only compounded our casing confusion.

What should we cover the casing with while the layer colonizes? Tinfoil or saran wrap with or without holes or nothing at all? Light or no light? The FAQ contradicts the teks occasionally and vice cersa so we need clarification.

What do we need to do?!?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: hey, slow down you crazy mushrooms! [Re: susej]
    #847304 - 08/27/02 05:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I believe, that if you let the casing layer be grown with mycelium to much it will start to fruit at the right conditions, maybe even without light. Just not as well as if they did. My casings have been done for about 3-4 days, and they are starting to get growth my guesss is they will be fully grown in 3 days, and be ready to be put in the terrarium =)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #847319 - 08/27/02 05:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

are you putting them right into the fruiting chamber? you might try letting them run uncased for a day or two before casing to let them recolonize. i've heard of people doing this before and never realy saw any need for it but it night help in your case. also how deep are your casing and substrate layers? you might be using too shallow a casing layer. i recomend patching as soon as you start to see hyphal knots forming and checking on the casing sooner than a week.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
Re: hey, slow down you crazy mushrooms! [Re: canid]
    #847412 - 08/27/02 06:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

>are you putting them right into the fruiting chamber?
After we have crumbled the cakes, we don't case for another day or two to let the mycelium recolonize...usually we see pins forming already by the second day and we put the casing layer on. This is all done in the fruiting chmaber w/ a tinfoil covering.

>also how deep are your casing and substrate layers?
The casing and substrate are both about 1/2" each

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #847919 - 08/27/02 09:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That will be your problem, that you are moving to the fruiting chamber too early. Casings should be kept in incubation conditions (80-84 F, dark, no air exchange) until the mycelium is coming through the casing layer (But not overlayed). Then move to fruiting conditions.
Also, have you tried casing straight away? I tried a couple of casings left for 1.5 days before casing, the other two cased straight away after crumbling, I had noticeably better results from casing straight away (Larger fruits, faster to develop)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation