Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger
psilocybin mushroom hunting
    #8464013 - 05/30/08 02:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

im completely new to shroomery and am in need of guidance or ill end up eating some slimey death fungusand die. I have been researching (im from the southeast of england by the way) and i have been looking for copelandia cambodgeniensis or the bell shaped blue fairy rings damp grassy areas but i have had no luck find a sample for cultivation can anyone point me in the right direction.:crazy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemolimo140
Hilario

Re: psilocybin mushroom hunting [Re: jebideebebop]
    #8465434 - 05/30/08 08:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Buy yourself a mushroom field guide that talks about your area. There are several books on psilocybian mushrooms.

Use google (or your search engine of choice), wikipedia, the search function on these forums, mycotopia, erowid, etc...

Learn as much as you can about the mushroom(s) you are trying to find and then simply go out and try to find them at the right time of the year. It will take diligence and time but will be rewarding in the end.

And don't forget to post your find(s) here! Good luck.

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath đź—ˇ
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #8465534 - 05/30/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jebideebebop said:
im completely new to shroomery and am in need of guidance or ill end up eating some slimey death fungusand die.

How about just dont eat any un identified mushrooms?

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

Re: psilocybin mushroom hunting [Re: molimo140]
    #8471300 - 06/01/08 02:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

okay.. yeah that would be a good idea but when i said i was completely new to mushroom cultivation and hunting i lied i am at an understanding with the basics and have already assembled a terrarium (looks kinda shitty though)and i have collected samples of what i think are copeladia cambodegeniensis but i am not sure. i broke the golden rule of being sure and ate them didn't get much of a trip but they were young and few probably only a gram or so, i had them in tea
i'll try and post some pics of my setup and shrooms
keep the advice coming this is more fun than i thought it would be much apreciated!

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8471990 - 06/01/08 06:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, please don't do that again. Seeing as the distribution of Copelandia cambodgeniensis is in "Cambodia. This species is also found in Peru, Mexico, and Hawaii." (http://www.mushroomjohn.org/copelandiacambodgeniensis1.htm). As you say, you're from the south-west of England so it might be a bit of a stretch to find Copelandia cambodgeniensis the UK.

I recommend you get a variety of mushroom hunting books so you can check and cross-check your identifications. I highly recommend 'Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain & Europe' by Roger Phillips. He also has a database you can use to help you identify mushrooms on his website http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

If you live in the England then the most commonly hunted and easily identifiable active mushroom is Psilocybe semilanceata. More commonly known as the Liberty Cap. I suggest that you familiarize yourself with this little mushroom wholeheartedly. The rewards will be plentiful. You should, however, become familiar with lots of other mushrooms so that you can spot look-a-likes and the really nasty poisonous ones that you just stay away from. It is for this reason that having a comprehensive encyclopedia of mushrooms (several in fact) is near essential to successful hunting.

A short run down on Psilocybe semilanceata (Liberty Caps) that is a start for you (I recommend you do plenty of research yourself and look at many, many pictures):

The best habitat for hunting is in pasture land but they can also be found on lawns and roadsides. They will generally be growing in and around patches of longer grass, favouring sedge grass. A whitish stem that is from 25-75mm long and 1-2mm thin with the possibility of slight bluing at the base of the stem. The cap is about 0.5-1.5mm across with an elongated conical or bell-like shape shape and a distinct nipple on the top. Liberty caps are hygrophanous, meaning that they change colour upon drying tend to change to a lighter, more yellowish colour. Colour isn't a great way to tell this mushroom apart, however, as it comes under the broad group of Little Brown Mushrooms and varies greatly within the species. Instead try and rip the cap apart gently and you should notice a sort of membrane that separates from the cap, a separable gelatinous pellicle. An even better test is making a spore print. This is easily done by placing the cap, removed from the stem, on a sheet of white paper with a glass on top. Make sure to put the glass on the edge of the paper over a towel to allow for moisture to escape, stimulating the gills to release their spores. Leave for a few hours and you should see a dark purple-brown coloured spore-print if you do in fact have Psilocybe semilanceata.

Go out and hunt a few days after heavy rains in the autumn when the temperature is quite cold. Roughly 15C and 10C at night. Be wary when picking from a group of mushrooms that you check every single one because different species can grow along side one another and this can be overlooked when concentration is let down. Good luck and always practice caution.

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

Re: psilocybin mushroom hunting [Re: Williamsii]
    #8474055 - 06/02/08 07:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for setting me straight. I have some liberty caps marked out in my garden with string and pegs (searched pastures, grasslands for hours the other day tryng to find some only to find tiny rings of them growing on my lawn :tongue:lol). I havd marked them out anyway but none of them are mature so i can't take spore prints yet [right?] also can anyone explain how to make a spore syringe using a spore print, is it actually a syringe:confused:
two last topics regarding Williamsi:
1. have you ever tried lophophora williamsi?, if you have have what was the trip like?...curious because i have started to graft the buttons onto some tricochereus pachonoi in the hope that they will start budding like mad thus increasing the yield. the stock of my san pedro cactus is approx 5f. i've been nurturing it so i can harvest the pulp (ps. the flowers on the pachonoi are quite beautiful)
2.the mushrooms i picked must have been liberty caps they fit the chracteristics you stated.
-bruise blue
-gelatinous pellicle
-bell shape cap  etc
also thanks for the tips on where to find them and their species name. I have been watering the ones in my garden with a fine spray bottle to stop them from wilting is this a good idea since the humidity keeps dropping and then going up again...storms you see.

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8474242 - 06/02/08 09:38 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I havd marked them out anyway but none of them are mature so i can't take spore prints yet [right?]

You are more likely to get a descent spore print from a mature mushroom as long as they haven’t started to degrade or dry out completely. How do you know they are not mature though?

Quote:

the mushrooms i picked must have been liberty caps they fit the chracteristics you stated.
-bruise blue
-gelatinous pellicle
-bell shape cap etc

Liberty caps don’t bruise blue. There is a slight chance that the mycelium at the base of the stem can turn blue. Assume that you are wrong until you are absolutely certain what you have is what you think it is before munching is initiated. I recommend you read the rules on posting an ID request on this forum and post one to be certain of your ID. You will need photos of the mushrooms in their habitat. You will want to use the macro function on a camera, if you have one, to enable close up pictures that are clear and in focus. Please post them on this thread as well as I am interested in your find.

Quote:

also can anyone explain how to make a spore syringe using a spore print, is it actually a syringe

Yes it is. This is a question that should be in the Cultivation forum. People will be more inclined to help you if you show you have done your own research first and then asking questions second. Otherwise, why should they make the effort if it is apparent that you haven’t? I only say this because this question seems to show that you have not read anything on at least the inoculation stage (adding spores to the growing substrate) of mushroom cultivation (or you have forgotten what you read). Please do some of your own research on this gold mine of information that is the Shroomery. Ask questions on what you don’t understand, not the simple facts that could be discovered in a quick search of the website/web.

Quote:

have you ever tried lophophora williamsi?, if you have have what was the trip like?...curious because i have started to graft the buttons onto some tricochereus pachonoi in the hope that they will start budding like mad thus increasing the yield.

I haven’t. Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to growing Lophophora Williamsii for harvest. I have tripped on Trichocereus Pachanoi, however, if you want to know about that. This is again a question for a different forum. Questions within this topic should be directed towards the Enthobotanical Garden.
Grafting Lophophora Williamsii is a great way to increase the mass of the cactus but does not increase the production of alkaloids (potency). It is not a great idea, therefore, to harvest from grafted peyote. What you can do is detach the peyote from the stock when it is large, let the callous heal and plant the peyote to let it grow out its own root system. This is going to take a few years though. Also, potency has been associated with age of the peyote so this method might not produce a very potent harvest. If you want to get a descent harvest go for the fast growing cacti like Trichocereus Pachanoi and Trichocereus Peruvianus. Again, do some research and you will find a lot of what you are looking for before you need to ask others.

Quote:

the stock of my san pedro cactus is approx 5f. i've been nurturing it so i can harvest the pulp

Do you mean you have a Trichocereus Pachanoi of this size that has a graft attached to it?

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

#8475381 - 06/02/08 03:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yes it is supported well though. i know it won't heighten the mescaline potency but the more peyote the more there is to consume getting a decent trip which makes potency almost irrelevant depending on how much pulp i can collect.

I am under the impression that the libs aren't mature until the cap fans out because i went out hunting today and found that many lib caps had the 'bell' structure but some others were taller and their caps were flat.

I know that different species can grow together (not sure whether it was you or a source that i found that out from but they were all growing in a circle (i would be more skeptical of them being the same species if the tall fanned out LBM's were growing in or near/away from the circles but they weren't.

regarding my lack of research your right and i apologise but i am eager to get a spore sample from some psilycobe semiliceata before the rain or weather gets to them. I already have various different fungi (not intending to consume them though:smirk:) they're just for me to observe till fruition but i sure would like to get a mushroom sample aswell.
I looked around and before reading your post and did find that a spore syringe is infact a syringe:blush: but i couldn't find out if a pewter will suffice as much as a needle-if you could enlighten me i would much appreciate it sensai.

also all of the mushrooms i have quartered off do bruise blue when handled, which leaves me unsure again as to what species they are, i read the blueness is the alkoloid psilocybin in the mushroom if thats true or not i do not know.

i will try and take some pictures of them and post them for you to look at, if you live in america i should have them posted for you to analyse in the morning.

tell me what you think:) chow

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8475836 - 06/02/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I am under the impression that the libs aren't mature until the cap fans out because i went out hunting today and found that many lib caps had the 'bell' structure but some others were taller and their caps were flat.

Seriously, search Psilocybe semilanceata and look at the characteristics and lots of pictures of them. Liberty caps don't have caps that flatten. They are conical and have a 'bell-shape'. I understand that in the eagerness to find magic mushrooms one lacks caution and jumps to the conclusion that the mushrooms you have found are magic. You must, however, resist this urge. Do some research.

Here is a link to a description of Psilocybe semilanceata. Follow it closely and eliminate mushrooms that don't fit these exact characteristics. You must be precise or you won't have an accurate identification.

Psilocybe semilanceata

You are pretty unlikely to find any Liberty Caps at this time of year. It may have been raining a fair bit recently but it is still quite warm. Mushrooms don't always follow the season's written in text books, they follow the environmental conditions present. The conditions we are having now make it unlikely that you will find Liberty Caps now. I am not ruling out the possibility, it is just unlikely.

Why do you so desperately want a spore sample of Psilocybe semilanceata?

Quote:

i couldn't find out if a pewter will suffice as much as a needle

What do you mean by a pewter? If you wish to cultivate Psilocybe Cubensis (the most commonly indoor grown species), a good way to do so is using the PF-Tek. Read this PF-Tek and you will have all the information you need. If you have any questions, ask in the Cultivation forum. Read this tek thoroughly first though.
If your question is whether there are other methods of inoculation other than using a needle and syringe, yes, there are many. The PF-Tek is, however, the best method IMO for beginners to use as it is easy to follow and the use of a syringe lowers risk of contamination.

Quote:

i read the blueness is the alkoloid psilocybin in the mushroom if thats true or not i do not know.

The bluing reaction generally occurs in magic mushrooms that contain high levels of psilocin (which is more unstable that psilocybin) and is, I believe, caused by this compound reacting with the oxygen in the air when the tissue is bruised/damaged. Psilocybe semilanceata contain high levels of psilocybin but low levels of psilocin, meaning that this reaction is not noticeable other than sometimes at the base of the stem.
Also, bluing reactions are observed in other non-active mushrooms which is why the bluing reaction is a poor way to identify magic mushrooms.

Do a spore print of the mushrooms in question. Post a picture of this along with the others. Read the rules for posting an ID request on this forum. Only then can this community really help you.

Quote:

I already have various different fungi (not intending to consume them though ) they're just for me to observe till fruition but i sure would like to get a mushroom sample aswell.

What do you mean by this? You have picked other mushrooms? Or are you observing patches as they grow? I would highly recommend you try and identify as many mushrooms as possible as you practice your feature spotting skills and it can be very enjoyable. Glad to know your being cautious and not eating unidentified mushrooms. Make sure you keep on being cautious.

Quote:

yes it is supported well though. i know it won't heighten the mescaline potency but the more peyote the more there is to consume getting a decent trip which makes potency almost irrelevant depending on how much pulp i can collect.

If you are just looking for a mescaline experience go for growing and harvesting Trichocereus pachanoi (San Pedro). If you have a five foot tall one, harvest that. There has been wide discussion on the harvesting of grafted peyote, read some of them by searching posts. Even grafted peyote is still not growing at the same rate as a Trichocereus pachanoi or Trichocereus peruvianus so if it is yield you are after, go for the Trichocereus pachanoi and Trichocereus peruvianus. Could you please post some pictures of your cacti and graft in the Ethnobotanical garden so we and the community can see them. Ask any questions on this topic there.

There is no need to use such a title with me, I am not deserving. I am just pointing you in the right direction. You can and should teach yourself. Welcome to the community, it shall support you and in return you can support others.
I’m guessing this means you either know Japanese or are into anime, or both. If so, nice one going.

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

#8479707 - 06/03/08 02:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah anime is highly entertaining and some are works of art. Iknow its coming off the subject but check out
www.animecrunch.com for an immense selection of anime series. whether you have seen these or not i do not know but i recommend you watch them they're really good
-Samurai champloo
-cowboy bebop
-ghost in the shell
-and my particular favourite ergo proxy

Anyway back to mushrooms. i did what you said and have been reading as much as i can on LBM's in particular. I have harvested the LBM's i told you about in my garden and taken some pictures.

i am 90% sure that the 'belled shaped' caps are the liberty caps or psilocybe semilinceata that you mentioned i have compared them to several different pics of this type and similar types of shroom but would be grateful if you and others offered their opinion it can only help.

i noticed the (i am going to call the bell shaped cap mushrooms the liberty caps so you can dinstinguish which ones i am refering to) liberty caps have been growing over a matter of weeks and i have been monitering them atleast twice a day for changes and it was only a drop in temperature by 2 or 3 degrees celcius and regular shower for a day or so that they had a growth spurt of approx. 1cm some even 2cm but what i want to tell you is that after this brief change in the climate (which favoured the mushrooms), one of those mushrooms with a flat cap had shot up when it was not there a previous day and was already degenerating.

lastly i have posted the pictures. Also where is the ethnobotanical forum? and i will take a spore print tonight.

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

#8479805 - 06/03/08 02:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i could not upload the pictures so here is a link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27399794@N08/

Offlinehaymaker
Mr Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #8479946 - 06/03/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Those are not Ps. Semilanceata, those are Panaeolus, probably foenesecii. Not poisonous, but not active either.

Look at my gallery for pictures of Libs

--------------------
"Make hay while the sun shines"
My Trade List

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

Re: psilocybin mushroom hunting [Re: haymaker]
    #8481970 - 06/04/08 12:21 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ok thank will do:grin:

Offlinetyler_0_durden
Stranger

Re: psilocybin mushroom hunting [Re: haymaker]
    #8482039 - 06/04/08 12:49 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

haymaker said:
Those are not Ps. Semilanceata, those are Panaeolus, probably foenesecii. Not poisonous, but not active either.

Look at my gallery for pictures of Libs

I found Panaeolus foenisecii today as well...a shame they're not active!

Hopefully I'll find some active ones hunting this season. I have yet to come across any so far. We got a summer to get through and then Cyan season apparently...I'll keep my eyes peeled!

--------------------
"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter."  --Max Planck

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

Re: psilocybin mushroom hunting [Re: tyler_0_durden]
    #8482711 - 06/04/08 07:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yeah good luck with the hunting i know what it is i'm looking for now lol. i was convinced those Panaeolus foenisecii  were active. i ate about twenty of them and didn't get even a slight trip and was a bit frustrated ha should have done my homework!:thumbup:

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8482808 - 06/04/08 08:38 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You ate again! Never eat unidentified mushrooms.

Quote:

those are Panaeolus, probably foenesecii. Not poisonous, but not active either.

I agree.

You also said that they had a separable gelatinous pellicle. You obviously didn't actually check this as Panaeolina foenisecii don't have them.

Look at these links to clear up your confusion about the separable gelatinous pellicle:

how to check for a separable gelatinous pellicle
pictures of liberty caps

This is a separable gelatinous pellicle being removed from the cap (from ivi on the shroomery).

I found all this with a simple search on this website and on Google. Use the search more and you can get all the information you need.

You must be cautious. As I said, it is all to easy to convince yourself that your mushrooms are active. Resist the urge! Get other people from this community to support your own detailed descriptions and identifications. Be sure. Don't eat unidentified mushrooms!

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8482809 - 06/04/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck with your hunting.

InvisibleWilliamsii
Explorer

#8482816 - 06/04/08 08:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Here is another great link I just found for any people wishing to start hunting Liberty caps. Also thanks to ivi. Great work.
Psilocybe semilanceata (Liberty Caps) for New Hunters

Offlinejebideebebop
Stranger

#8487500 - 06/05/08 08:46 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i read ivi forum. very useful. i am going to purchase some psilocybe cubensis but would prefer p.semilanceata but i did reasearch them (for once) and they apparently only come about from, earliest, august to october (in england) but i am curious if anybody has found any during spring.

i have dug up some foenesecii and have planted them in an incubator with compost vermiculite and manure. do you think this will work or likely to fail?

Offlinexixleplix
Stranger
    #20808012 - 11/07/14 10:39 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately, When I was much younger I did this thinking I knew what I was doing only to show I did not by ending up in the hospital.,Now many wiser years later I wish to know and educate myself on which species grow in north east Georgia and how to identify them.Any help?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures