Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Grow Logs

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Gypsum, Oyster Shell, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleda_Vinci7
Stranger
Cambo's-Rye/Part 2/Updated 9/03 *completed*
    #846365 - 08/27/02 10:20 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The lights have been turned on(12hr on/off), the air pump is running on a 1.5hr on/ .5hr off and Dave also fans twice a day - am/pm(when he also does his temp/humidity checks- & misting when needed.) This is a picture of trays #1/2 the first day the lights were turned on.....

Closeup of Tray#1.....

Tray#3 - Day 1....

This is a shot of Dave?s setup as it sits now......

Dave didn?t mist very much at first, but around Day 3(Post-light), he noticed some drying of the casing surface and pulling away from the sides of the container. He also thought tray #1 was a little overlayed and since he couldn?t count on a deep temp drop in his area at the time , he was concerned. So he whipped up some more casing material and filled in the sides of all the trays and sprinkled a little over the entire surface of #1. This is a picture taken on Day 4(Tray#1)....

The trays stayed about the same as shown above until Day 11 with the temps averaging in the high 70?s/low 80?s and the humidity always above 95%. Dave became concerned with the progress of Tray # 2 around Day 11, as you can see by this picture taken on Day 12, the mycelium only covered less than half the tray..

What also concerned him was the sighting of a couple of gnat-like insects and something crawling across the surface of tray #2. The gnats were quickly killed and Tray # 2 & 3 were immediatly switched out w/ tray # 2 being isolated by itself  in the second case and #3 being placed in Case#1 with Tray#1. Dave has since pretty much written off Tray #2 as it has shown no sign of any pins while the other 2 trays are taking off. When he gets some time he will take this tray outside to investigate it further.
  This was Dave?s first sighting of pins on Tray#3 - Day12...

Here are some more good pin shots from Day 12.....

To Dave?s great dismay his two trays have for the most part stalled, both pinned just fine, but only tray#3 had any come to fruition, and only a meager harvest at that. Most of the pins seem to have aborted?! Dave has been noticing a lot of "blue" mycelium on both trays - doesn?t know if that has anything to do with it. He thinks it could be either he kept the humidity too high after pinning(stayed at 97%), lack of moisture in casing layer(he did let the trays colonize a little too much for their own good) or an unknown contaminant? Here are a series of pictures to shed some light on this tragedy..........

A shot of both trays on Day 15......

Tray1/Day15 - the pins never got any bigger than this......

Blue mycelium that he sees on both trays......

More pictures of a once promising tray.....

I?ll have to continue later, but in the meantime does anybody have any idea what would cause Dave?s tray?s to stall with only a handful of mush. to show for all his effort???

Ok, sorry it took so long (it?s a long way to Dave?s and back). Dave?s first flush can now be considered over and he is very frustrated by it?s production. As the following pictures show he had plenty of pins.......

Here?s an overview shot of both trays on Day 15(post light)........

Look?s dry doesn?t it? Dave?s theory on the reason so many pins aborted centers on moisture content. It can?t be nutrients, as Tray#1 contains 5 Qt. jars of rye, while Tray#3 contains 4 Qt. jars of rye. His original casing layer was not that thick, and he feels he let the mycelium colonize the casing layer too long. While he did patch along the way, this trays took 12 days to start pinning(and 12 days to colonize casing layer), that?s a lot of moisture loss that probably wasn?t adequately replaced by his light mistings. While the humidity level never dropped below 90%(and that only when the lids were off for 10 minutes), Dave feels a lot of moisture escapes when he opens the cases twice a day for temp/progress checks. Another possible reason for the aborts could be the fact Dave never dropped the humidity(from 97-99% to 85-92%) when the pins reached 3-5mm as suggested in TMC. He doesn?t know how important this is(as he never had to with smaller casings) with the amounts of substrate he is using now. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be appreciated. As you can see in the following pictures Dave has added more casing(straight coir this time) on both trays hoping that this is a moisture problem and that a second(hopefully better) flush can be obtained off either tray.
  Tray #3 Day 16....

Tray#3 Day 17.....

Tray#3Day18.....

Dave has decided to go ahead and call this log complete, as Tray #1 had an unfortunate meeting with a drunk roommate and had to be discarded.Said drunk roomate to Dave - "I was just trying to see what was wrong with the tray, I thought I saw cobweb mold so I dug into the tray to further investigate the situation". Said Dave to drunk dumbass roommate - "The only situation you need to investigate is the cobweb mold growing in your brain, ever do it again and Dave will clean the cobwebs out for you with a good punch to the face! :mad:  Anyway, situation resolved, hopefully lesson learned by good sober(but dumbass when drunk) friend.
  Tray #3 may still have a few suprises left in it( the ones that did grow so far seemed to really benefit from the added layer of casing that Dave added after most pins stalled- pretty sure his aborts were lack of moisture related. :frown:  Dave?s total yield so far has been approx 12 grams dried. Pretty sad considering the amount of substrate that he started with. But Dave is not one to be discouraged, he has learned a lot this time around(and actually got something to show for his efforts), he got to test out a new setup, one that he feels will work wonders for him once he tweaks it here and there. All in all, Dave is feeling quite optimistic about future efforts. Thanks to everyone who responded and gave advice. See ya soon.......

Edited by Anno (10/29/02 06:45 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Cambo's-Rye/Part 2/Pins to Fruit [Re: da_Vinci7]
    #846908 - 08/27/02 02:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

G-G-G-G-G-Goddamn!
Most triumphant pictures.
I wasn't expecting a Bill & Ted's response, but...

hey royal ugly dudes...

peace

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #848872 - 08/28/02 11:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Lookin good

Fruit in a few days!

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineKingBolete
enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast
    #849907 - 08/28/02 08:16 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey there,

Grab your ass, duck and run
look out World, here they come!!!

Heheheh! Good Luck!!

Best regards,

King Bolete

OfflineCrack
Stranger
Re: Cambo's-Rye/Part 2/Updated 8/28--Need Some Help!! [Re: da_Vinci7]
    #851889 - 08/29/02 08:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

how big of an air pump are you useing??

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #852396 - 08/30/02 02:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You cased with coir, right?

Cor dries out pretty fast, i?d mist the trays slightly.

As for the stalled pins you showed on the last photos, they don?t look anything like aborts, i think they will still develop.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #852593 - 08/30/02 07:11 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Title is ..........Cambo's - Rye.

Is the substrate -- straight rye -- or what exactly?

Just curious. SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibleda_Vinci7
Stranger
Re: Cambo's-Rye/Part 2/Updated 8/28--Need Some Help!! [Re: SixTango]
    #853051 - 08/30/02 11:40 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

First off the airpump Dave is using is a dual outlet. It pumps 250 litres of air per hour per outlet(on high setting). It has three settings, Dave only uses it on the high setting. Right now since he only has one case operating he has both airlines going to it. So it should be pumping 500 litres of air an hour. He has it operating on a timer so it is on for 1.5hr and off for .5 - 24/7. This might be too much air as he has never sat down and figured the exact amount he might need. His fruiting cases are listed 117 litres/31 gal. If you consider the amount of space the trays/equip take up, the amount it pumps should be more than adequate, maybe even overkill.

Anno..... Dave's original casing layer consisted of a mix of approx.80% coir(Gro-Brick)/ 20% Vermiculite w/ approriate amounts of chalk added and a little gypsum. He sterilizes this in an oven which also seems to get the moisture content right. When he patches he usually uses straight coir. Unfortunately, those pins still haven't matured any on Tray#1, still just sitting there mocking my friend.

Six Tango..... Yes, Dave is using straight organic rye grain as his substrate.

Moe..... Thanx for the compliment, I too was suprised at the Cambo's rhizo explosion, there's a great pic. of it in the first part of this grow log. Dave took a ton of pictures , way too many to post here, he figures they might come in handy in the future for reference material if nothing else. Now if Dave could just get these to fruit properly- all would be right in his world - oh well , part of the learning process- he's getting closer each time, just gotta keep plugging away

Edited by da_Vinci7 (08/30/02 11:45 AM)

Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
Re: Cambo's-Rye/Part 2/Updated 8/30--Need Some Help!! [Re: da_Vinci7]
    #854451 - 08/31/02 07:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hey da vinci
you said you used 5 qt jars of rye, right? did you do grain to grain transfer? I'm not sure if this is right, but if you didn't i think that your results wouldn't be very good, or you would have trouble fruiting. again, not sure if that's right, but it could be a problem.
just tryin to help.
best of luck!

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #854628 - 08/31/02 10:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You might have some overkill on the air exchange?

Look to Mycofiles bulk neglect thread. He basicly just threw it all in a box, in a closet & pretty much left it alone -- except for meager -- tending -- now & then. You did one hell of a job. But something the Racoon learned is, you can tend a batch so much, all the tending - tends to stall nature, rather than help it along.

LOL, one time the Coon did a small tub of straw/dung with grain spawn, everything  (air / humidity & temp) right to snuff. The substrate colonized perfectly. The Coon cased it.

For some odd reason, the casing simply didn't colonize & pin. The Coon waited & waited.

Nada. Like nada - for a long............................. time.  :frown:

The Coon wrote the tub off. Removed it & set it on the floor - under a shelf, to throw out -- later.

The Coon had to leave town & was gone a long week.

When he came back, he remembered that tub & went to throw it out.

The Coon leaned over to pick it up & BINGO BANGO.............. right before his litlle beady eyes were pins GALORE.............. growing GREAT GUNS.

The Coon left it there & the SOB fruited like gang busters.

The Coon thinks the casing pH was a little off & the temp to high. Once removed & set on the floor, it must have created a minor cold shock. The myc then tackled the casing & pinned. I suppose because with the minor change, mother nature told it to pin & fruit or die  :grin:.

SixTango............ :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibleda_Vinci7
Stranger
Re: Cambo's-Rye/Part 2/Updated 8/28--Need Some Help!! [Re: SixTango]
    #861203 - 09/03/02 10:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, Dave knows he has some :grin: overkill on air exchange, he has just been too lazy to figure out exactly how much airflow is optimum for his growspace. This was his test run for his new setup and he thinks he can make the proper adjustments for future efforts. Mycofile's bulk neglect thread was fascinating and informative, Dave drools over his results, unfortunatley he has to be a little more discreet with his efforts.... unexpected family visits play havoc........Thanks for sharing that story, Dave has played that long wait and see game too :crazy: , drives him nuts... LOL... This hobby never ceases to amaze him............. :grin: 

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus

Loc: South Africa
    #862481 - 09/03/02 10:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Your coir deffinatelly seems to dry.
Try next time to use a coir/verm/oyster shell casing layer.
I mist at night and leave my tubs open for 10 minutes or so to absorb excess water and promote a bit of air exchange.
But utlimatelly the casing layer holds water better and gives the mushrooms more substance to hold them steady.

--------------------
Derrayld and out of control

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Gypsum, Oyster Shell, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Grow Logs