Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomMan420
91' Til Infinity....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows
    #8463401 - 05/30/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Incredible pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows

Skin painted bright red, heads partially shaved, arrows drawn back in the longbows and aimed square at the aircraft buzzing overhead. The gesture is unmistakable: Stay Away.

Behind the two men stands another figure, possibly a woman, her stance also seemingly defiant. Her skin painted dark, nearly black.

The apparent aggression shown by these people is quite understandable. For they are members of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes, who live in the Envira region in the thick rainforest along the Brazilian-Peruvian frontier.

Thought never to have had any contact with the outside world, everything about these people is, and hopefully will remain, a mystery.

Go to the link for the pictures and rest of the article->
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1022822/Incredible-pictures-Earths-uncontacted-tribes-firing-bows-arrows.html

--------------------
I am excited for my thoughts to become positive and of lifeful things instead of negative and suicidal things - Oceanshore23Forest :feelsoldman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDeebard420
"Bostons Finest"
Male User Gallery

Loc: In A Mind Fuck
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: ShroomMan420]
    #8463454 - 05/30/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i wonder if they even no what electricity is :rofl2:

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: ShroomMan420]
    #8463456 - 05/30/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

That color that they painted themselves is just bizarre, but surely there is a good reason to use it. I wonder if they have developed immunities to any Western diseases.

Edited by veggie (05/30/08 12:09 PM)

Invisibleoreandra
dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: Mysteries Grove
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: robbyberto]
    #8463508 - 05/30/08 12:00 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Folks like these should be left alone. they obviously do not want contact. Some mysteries are best left. We have surveyed almost every group of people on the planet and indigenous cultures everywhere are loosing their language and their traditions.

--------------------
If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed. <Mckenna>

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”
<Andre Gide>

<Tutu> From each according his ability to each according to his needs.

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: robbyberto]
    #8463520 - 05/30/08 12:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

this is extremely interesting. BTW, what forum would anthropology fall under?

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8463524 - 05/30/08 12:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I wonder if they have developed immunities to any Western diseases.

Extremely unlikely as they wouldn't have had any exposure to them, therefore there would be no evolutionary pressure ensuring that only those with immunity to the disease would survive to breed & pass on that genetic immunity. Without periodic exposure to those diseases even if a genetic immunity had arisen the relevant genes wouldn't spread & predominate in the population.

Far more likely is the fact that they would have a much lower level of immunity to western diseases than westerners do.

InvisiblePrimal Glitch
literally just vibing
Male User Gallery

Loc: 🌎 Flag
    #8463538 - 05/30/08 12:06 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

'These tribes represent the incredible diversity of humankind. Unless we want to condemn yet more of the earth's peoples to extinction, we must respect their choice. Any contact they have with outsiders must happen in their own time and on their own terms.'

I just hope this is possible. I kinda envy them :smirk:

--------------------

make the changa you wish to see in the world
                                                                gnome sayin'?

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: oreandra]
    #8463546 - 05/30/08 12:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

oreandra said:
Folks like these should be left alone. they obviously do not want contact. Some mysteries are best left. We have surveyed almost every group of people on the planet and indigenous cultures everywhere are loosing their language and their traditions.

lets hope they get left alone. i'm surprised they haven't been globalized yet. considering our president, it a shock that he hasn't decided we should go down there and play cowboys and indians and liberate them from living in teepees. yeah, bush probably doesn't know about it. he would have said that their bow and arrows were WMDs trying to shoot that plane down by now.

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

Invisibleltd
 User Gallery

#8463595 - 05/30/08 12:20 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

someone should fly overhead and drop thousands of pics of goatse

Offlinetodesengel
the chinese chicken

Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: rev 766]
    #8463598 - 05/30/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

They probably know of highly hallucinogenic plants in the rain forest.

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: rev 766]
    #8463623 - 05/30/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

rev 766 said:
this is extremely interesting. BTW, what forum would anthropology fall under?

i was wondering the same thing. i dont really think "science and technology" is the place for this article, but i dont know where would be a better place.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: oreandra]
    #8463630 - 05/30/08 12:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

oreandra said:

Why don't you let them decide for themselves what they want. It's inevitable that cultures change. I read an article by someone who had spent a lot of time with these tribes who had little and knew little about modern conveniences. Aside from old clothing and a few cooking utensils they had practically no modern implements. When negotiating with the tribal leader about staying with them in order to learn, the leader expressed and interest in seeing this mans world. They agreed and took the old man to city to show him around. Apparently the man was enthralled with what he saw, noting how much time and work could be eliminated from their daily chores. He just couldn't seem to get enough of the modern life.

Upon their return to the village, the author explained to the man that many people were of the opinion that tribes such as his should be protected from us and our technology so that they can preserve their way of life. This angered the old man who questioned why they would deprive them of what he'd experienced. He went to ask if these people thought they would choose to live like they do and that if these do-gooders thought it was so important to preserve, that he would gladly trade places with them.

It's selfish of you to desire these people get stuck in time so that you have something primitive to appreciate. What you see as a loss for these people, they most likely see as a gain.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #8463698 - 05/30/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Anthropology is a science after all.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #8463699 - 05/30/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

@HagbardCeline ... :thumbup: 

I couldn't agree more.

OfflineCompass
Ancient Light

Loc: The Border of Reality
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #8463735 - 05/30/08 01:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Upon their return to the village, the author explained to the man that many people were of the opinion that tribes such as his should be protected from us and our technology so that they can preserve their way of life. This angered the old man who questioned why they would deprive them of what he'd experienced. He went to ask if these people thought they would choose to live like they do and that if these do-gooders thought it was so important to preserve, that he would gladly trade places with them.

I'd like to read that article. But it sounds like the man doesn't quite understand what he would be bargaining for.

More interesting would be him in 20 years after he had been assimilated into the mainstream and knew all the pitfalls of modern civilization. Then he could reflect on his decision and whether it was worth it - how much of his culture was lost, etc.

--------------------
nystagmus dopamine guru inverted pop culture love scars of sorrow fleshy synesthesia hippie farts perpetual tinnitus
Reclaim the Swastika!

OfflineAzen
Legalize ALL!
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: ltd]
    #8463939 - 05/30/08 02:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lieutenant_Dan said:
someone should fly overhead and drop thousands of pics of goatse

Bastard, I almost spit up my oatmeal.

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: Azen]
    #8464154 - 05/30/08 03:30 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You know what would be a laugh and what I would do if I was a millionaire would be to fly a helicopter down to the tribe, kidnap one of them in their sleep, fly him around in the helicopter, make him eat McDonalds and drink Diet Soda, and then drop him back to his tribe in the middle of the night. Just imagine what a fucking lunatic that guy would be considered to the rest of his tribe.

This whole story is a good example of how an advanced civilization might be viewing us.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleInvisible_Woe

Loc: Mabase
Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: Azen]
    #8464178 - 05/30/08 03:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

this is prety cool i think we should just leave them alone they are lucky enough not to be apart of our dieing "culture" who knows maybe this tribe of people will be the last humans on earth if a war ever happens...you never know

--------------------
These are not the answers you should be questioning.

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8464520 - 05/30/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

This story makes me incredibly happy. I mean, these people just have no idea. Unknown cultural purity. Nuclear weapons, poverty, space flight, polyester, modern anything just wow. Incredible.

I wonder how often things fly over their particular area of the rainforest and if the helicopter that buzzed them was a unique experience or just an uncomfortably close one. What is their language like? So many interesting questions I hope remain unanswered...

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Offlinespacemonkey69
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Pictures of one of Earth's last uncontacted tribes firing bows and arrows [Re: toastandjam]
    #8464532 - 05/30/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

So that's where Willy Wonka got his Ompa Lumpas!

--------------------
"If you take a psychedelic,and aren't afraid you've done too much, you haven't done enough."

:mushroom2: Terence Mckenna :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder