Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Instant Runoff Voting
    #846132 - 08/27/02 08:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I have long thought this was a great idea. IRV
It would really of helped in the US Presidency race in 2000. I voted for Nader, and would have placed Gore second and Bush last. I think the two party system doesn't work as well as it should. People are stuck in the dogma of Rep vs Dem when they should be looking at the PERSON and not their labels. I hope that other states follow lead in this idea. What are others ideas on this subject?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Instant Runoff Voting [Re: Frog31337]
    #848201 - 08/28/02 12:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It would require a constitutional change, at least on the federal level. And I believe most states would need to change their constitution as well.

I do like the idea though. The idea that we had to endure two terms of Wee Willie Clinton had me thinking I wish we had a system in place to ensure that any elected office was filled by someone who had at least 1/2 of the vote.

I still think Gore would have lost. He just didn't connect. Yes, he got more votes but I think that was only because people feel the need to vote "Party Label". Had the runoff system been in place I would like to believe people might actually think about their vote.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (08/28/02 12:47 AM)

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Instant Runoff Voting [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #848441 - 08/28/02 06:42 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

>> It would require a constitutional change

This is the biggest sticking point I see for this to be implemented in every state. To make these changes people would have to DO something to let their representatives know they wanted a change. I am usually dismayed at the apathy that a lot of the people I know display The federal level is a whole other can of worms. The popular/electoral system I am not sure how they would implement IRV, or possibly stay as is. Better IMO not to make serious changes until the feasibility of this system is ironed out. I hope this idea catches on though.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #849154 - 08/28/02 01:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I don't see why it would have to be a federal change, that sounds like too much for our busy congress to handle, instead, they could easily put a bill through congress at state levels to be voted on, with that bill each state could decide if they wanted instant run off. Is'nt their a bill in Alaska being voted on already?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Instant Runoff Voting [Re: nugsarenice]
    #849244 - 08/28/02 02:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No Nugs. Perhaps on a state level the change to the individual state constitutions could be made, but it's a bit more work to change the federal one. States can pass any law they wish but they cannot circumvent the constitution or bill of rights.

The Alaska thing would only apply to state and local elections.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (08/28/02 02:11 PM)

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #849254 - 08/28/02 02:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh, I see, I was thinking that if the federal election takes votes from individual states, then they could have the right to decide how the election takes place, state and local elections could definitely need instant run off also, but you are right about the federal powers over state.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion