Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA]
    #8453830 - 05/28/08 05:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries
May 28, 2008 - Los Angeles Times

The owner of six Los Angeles-area medical marijuana dispensaries was arrested by federal agents Tuesday after an investigation sparked by a traffic accident in which a motorist allegedly high on one of the dispensaries' products plowed into a parked SUV, killing the driver and paralyzing a California Highway Patrol officer.

In the aftermath of the Dec. 19 accident, investigators found "a large amount of marijuana and marijuana edibles" in the pickup truck driven by the suspect, Jeremy White, 20, of Paso Robles, Calif., according to federal authorities.

White allegedly admitted to being under the influence of marijuana that he said he obtained from a dispensary in Compton.

Investigators traced the marijuana to the Holistic Caregivers facility in Compton, one of six dispensaries owned and operated by Virgil Grant, 41. Grant's other facilities are in Gardena, Los Angeles and Van Nuys.

Drug Enforcement Administration agents set up undercover buys at each of the facilities, in which an operative with a doctor's recommendation but with "no serious medical ailments" was sold medicinal marijuana, according to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.

In one transaction, a dispensary employee sold the informant a pound of marijuana for $5,700 out of the back door of the facility, the affidavit states.

Grant and his wife, Pshyra, 33, were arrested Tuesday morning at their home in Carson after being charged in a 41-count indictment returned by a federal grand jury last week.

Virgil Grant was charged with drug conspiracy, money laundering and operating a drug-involved premises within 1,000 feet of a school. Pshyra Grant was charged with drug conspiracy and 22 counts of money laundering.

At a bond hearing Tuesday, Assistant U.S. Atty. Mark Childs asked that Virgil Grant be held without bail, noting that he had previous conviction on drugs- and weapons- related offenses. Bond was set at $250,000 for Virgil Grant, and $50,000 for his wife.

Virgil Grant's attorney, Roger Rosen, said his client would plead not guilty, but declined to comment further.

Also indicted was Jerome Cole, 39, the employee who allegedly sold the pound of marijuana to the DEA operative. Cole was being sought by authorities.

The sale of marijuana for medical purposes is allowed under state law. But federal law prohibits its sale under any circumstances. Given that difficult legal landscape, federal authorities tend to prosecute cases in which dispensaries aren't in compliance with state law or in which there is some other aggravating factor.

Even before last week's indictment, Compton officials were "trying to rid the city" of Grant's dispensary, according to court papers.

A deputy city attorney told DEA agents that Grant initially obtained a business license for an "herbal" retail store. Only later did city officials learn that he was operating a medical marijuana dispensary, the court papers allege. His license has since expired, but Grant continued doing business, despite being cited by code enforcement officers for operating without a license.

The accident that prompted authorities to begin investigating Grant occurred after CHP Officer Anthony Pedeferri had just pulled over Andreas Parra, a 20-year-old motorist from Phoenix, during a routine traffic stop.

Pedeferri had dismounted his motorcycle and was talking to Parra when White's pickup drifted out of the northbound lanes of the 101 Freeway near Ventura and careened into Parra's SUV. Parra was killed.

Pedeferri, a triathlete and the father of two girls, was knocked out of his boots and thrown 20 yards into brush along the side of the road, according to news reports. He was left paralyzed by his injuries.

White was charged with gross vehicular manslaughter and is awaiting trial. At his preliminary hearing in April, a Ventura County sheriff's forensic expert testified that there was a high concentration of marijuana in White's blood at the time of his arrest, according to an article in the Ventura County Star.

"It's one of the highest levels I recall seeing," Dea Boehme, a supervisor with the Ventura County sheriff's Forensic Sciences Laboratory, testified.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSporusfolklorus
Sporusfolklorus

Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #8454404 - 05/28/08 10:47 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Shit pisses me OFF!!!! TWENTY year olds have wrecks because they are under the influence of PUSSY!!! And this whole "legal state/illegal federal" is the most stupid, hypocritical, contradictory, conspiratorial, fascist, backward, nazi, right-wing extremist, quasi-imperial-like in a really fked-up way BULLSHIT I have ever, EVER; heard of in my entire existence on this ignoramus-saturated planet. This guy's business shouldn't be shut down; twenty year-olds with CARS should be IF ANYTHING!!!
(NOTE TO ALL 20-Year Olds: These statements, although seemingly inflammable I know; are not meant to be personally toward you. I say it because if one looks at the statistics concerning the demography of who is having all the auto accidents, it's a known fact that it's by far either very old people or very young people. In fact the whole "DUI is the cause of bla bla many fatal bla bla accidents" has always been exaggerated for a lot of politicians political careers because of these accidents "preventative" and "personal responsibility" nature (in the "gotcha" society we find ourselves living in, shredding someone in court is real easy if they had been drinking or something before an accident. Even if the reason for the wreck was something out of the driver's control, if there's any hint of alcohol or drug use, forget the truth coming out; your screwed. Believe me, this I know about...I'll tell you all about it after my court date) ; the fact is that the young and old have always been the ones to have the most accidents BY FAR. I know to you that 20 seems not "very young" at all; but take my word for it, in 10 and especially 20 years from now you will truly come to understand how very young 20 really is...and wish to God you were still there! I reiterate: this is in no way an insult to 20 year olds).
Also: I hate living in the "GOTCHA" society. I know how it feels to want to "stick it to em" if someone does you wrong. But it's all gone too far. I think forgiveness is very much underrated; I think if we all started adopting a forgiving attitude, THIS is how to make things better, not by "going after" everyone who is doing things not everyone agrees with., and I'll go as far as to say not even going after people who *do deserve it* like we have been in the USA. (i.e. do away with the death penalty, the "3 strikes rule" etc.)I think forgiveness is why there is less of a pot "problem" in Amsterdam; because they have made it no big deal by having a forgiving attitude towards people who partake in drugs. And regardless if I am right or not about Amsterdam, I do think I'm right about the "gotcha" society in America...and I do my part to change it as much as I can. I wish everyone would.

--------------------
I think you get it, Art
-Terrence McKenna

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: Sporusfolklorus]
    #8455547 - 05/28/08 04:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

wut a fucking moron crashing into a parked car
and then punishing some1 else for that is just plain ghey

--------------------

OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: Coaster]
    #8455691 - 05/28/08 04:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

if they're going on that kind of logic, then why are liqour stores still operating?
How many DUIs kill each year?

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: Irieforester]
    #8455707 - 05/28/08 05:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

they only use that logic when they want

--------------------

OfflinePreyToGod
peace.pot.microdot.
Male

Loc: truckin,,,
Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: Coaster]
    #8456222 - 05/28/08 07:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I can't believe the Feds are conituning to arrest citizens of a state that has seen herb for the medical it powers it has. That is straight no respect for the state or its courts. America is so ass backwards.

--------------------
"We live together, we act on, and react to, one another but always and in all circumstances we are by ourselves... By its very nature every embodied spirit is doomed to suffer and enjoy in solitude." Huxuly
the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

just because we all see the:greenshroom:
doesn't mean we all see the same
:mushroom2:

I pushed my fingers through the earth, returned this flower to the dirt. so it could live, I walked away now. But I know... Not a day goes by when I don't feel this burn. There's a point we pass from which we can't return. I've felt the cold rain of the coming storm
None but ourselves can free our minds.”

InvisibleRobo
R Series 66Y
Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: PreyToGod]
    #8457094 - 05/28/08 10:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:

It wasn't just all about that, actually most of it wasn't. The dispensary owner fucked up, apparently they were selling out the back and to unauthorized people. Plus his license was long expired and he continued to stay in business.

Quote:

PreyToGod said:
I can't believe the Feds are conituning to arrest citizens of a state that has seen herb for the medical it powers it has. That is straight no respect for the state or its courts.

What the dispensary was involved in is more disrespectful then the Feds IMO. Shady sales, money laundering, etc. Stuff like this strengthens anti-medical marijuana advocates' argument. They weren't respecting the state who gave them the right in the first place and taking advantage of the laws by not running a straight & honest business, or respecting those who use medical marijuana.

OfflineItsaMeMario
Stranger

Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: Robo]
    #8460044 - 05/29/08 05:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

buying weed in compton is pretty stupid. if youre coming down south from paso, there are much better places to stop around hollywood before going down the toilet in comtpon. and letting people 'sample' the weed at the dispensaries are pretty dumb, too. medicine or not, weed is intoxicating. it's like letting customers take jello shots at liquor stores- the place is just asking for trouble that way.

OfflineJustonevoice1
Stranger
Re: Feds bust owner of six L.A. area medical marijuana dispensaries [CA] [Re: Robo]
    #9164666 - 10/31/08 03:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Omni said:
Quote:

Coaster said:

It wasn't just all about that, actually most of it wasn't. The dispensary owner fucked up, apparently they were selling out the back and to unauthorized people. Plus his license was long expired and he continued to stay in business.

Quote:

PreyToGod said:
I can't believe the Feds are conituning to arrest citizens of a state that has seen herb for the medical it powers it has.  That is straight no respect for the state or its courts. 

What the dispensary was involved in is more disrespectful then the Feds IMO. Shady sales, money laundering, etc. Stuff like this strengthens anti-medical marijuana advocates' argument. They weren't respecting the state who gave them the right in the first place and taking advantage of the laws by not running a straight & honest business, or respecting those who use medical marijuana.

A wise person does not think that everything that LEO says is nessasarily true. 1) No MMJ was sold out the back door. 2) The Compton location this man was operating was in litigation with the City of Compton because they attemped to not renew his license illegally.3) Should Longs Drugs be subjected to the same if one of thier customers crash in the same manner because of driving while under the influenece of oxycotin? 4) What is not mentioned in this article is that the driver was returning from a rave in which he partied on meth & "E" for three days straight and that his friends tried to keep him from driving.

Know what you are talking about before posting please!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service