Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Q&A regarding Gypsum,Perlite...
    #8446054 - 05/26/08 06:25 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

A lot of this has been already mentioned somewhere, but I think I can add a few aspects:

-Gypsum

My mother tongue does not differentiate between plaster (CaSO4·0.5H2O) and gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O)! In some thread there where some Spanish guys with similar problems. Plaster or "Plaster of Paris"is readily available, whereas gypsum is hard to come by. Organic Farmers seem to use it, but where they order it you get only 25 tons. Artists use this stuff to mix colors, so if you have access to a real art stuff store they might have it. It is called "Lenzit" or "Natural Gypsum".

So I made the mistake of preparing a quart jar of rye with "Plaster of Paris". The mycelium started to grow, albeit weak. Im not sure if i will be able to shake this?

I read in a different thread to crumble up dried "Plaster of Paris" and then to use it as gypsum. Will their be any drawback doing it that way, considering additives?

-Perlite

I scanned a few gardening sections. Nothing. Most of the staff i asked about it had no clue what I was talking about.

Well, skip the gardening section and go to the construction stuff. Perlite is used as an isolating material called "Isoself"

BTW Great Forum thanks to all the input

pontus

--------------------
"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: Q&A regarding Gypsum,Perlite... [Re: pontus]
    #8446070 - 05/26/08 06:39 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It's always cool to find perlite local instead of ordering online where shipping costs as much as the product. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by Lennyk (05/26/08 05:44 PM)

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Q&A regarding Gypsum,Perlite... [Re: Lennyk]
    #8447132 - 05/26/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No, you should not use plaster!
I searched a lot and RR stated at least twice that it is not recommended. As far as I understand the compounds of plaster promote binding, "cluing" things together.
Someone suggested to mix plaster with water (rehydrate), let it dry and then use it.
Is this is as good as using gypsum in the first place or will the additives in the plaster have a negative effect on mycelium grow!????????

pontus

--------------------
Bob Dylan

Offlinedrwatson
Slacker
 User Gallery

Loc: nowhere land
    #8447187 - 05/26/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Not sure if this is available where you are.

http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?type=p&intCategoryID=2&id=9

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Q&A regarding Gypsum,Perlite... [Re: drwatson]
    #8447207 - 05/26/08 03:03 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the hint drwatson but it is sort of over the ocean. I think I just have to look around in more garden centers or experiment with my re-hydrated plaster.
pontus

--------------------
Bob Dylan

OfflinePrometheus82
Stranger

#8447469 - 05/26/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Don't mean to hijack this thread but that same Espoma Company makes a "Garden Lime" It's on the same website. Does anyone know if it can replace hydrated lime. It's also pelletised.

One more question. Is it alright to get whole oyster shells and crush em insted of having to order it online?

Offlinespock1
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Q&A regarding Gypsum,Perlite... *DELETED* [Re: Prometheus82]
    #8447590 - 05/26/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by spock1

Reason for deletion: .

OfflinePrometheus82
Stranger

Re: Q&A regarding Gypsum,Perlite... [Re: spock1]
    #8448900 - 05/26/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Spock. I'll check it out. But is there a difference between me getting whole oyster shells and crushing them myself, and the type you buy online? Fuk it. I'm gonna go get em and crush them. I'll clean them first though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies