Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinebruisedBlue
nihilisticmystic
The Wait....
    #844620 - 08/26/02 04:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hello fellow seekers. This is my first contact with this community. In an ongoing lucid dream i've been having, i recently began my own psil. cub. cultivation project. I am essentially using PF TEK with the max fruit formula. Right now, i am in day two of colonization phase (not counting the day of innoculation). I have a few questions about optimizing this process.

1. The jars (1/2 pint) are stored in 2 styrofoam coolers (6 jars in each) with tight lids and pro. grade masking tape over the holes. I did not use Ramsey seal, only straight PFTEK. Should i leave the holes taped or untape them?? I read on online journal of a British bloke who found that the jars colonized faster w/out tape.

2. The temperature in the coolers is 75 degrees. I have plenty of patience waiting for germination, but would it be wise to elevate the temp. around 80-85 degrees? I am not adverse to waiting. The reason i am considering this is that i am concerned that if the jars do not colonize quickly enough, they may need to be birthed before the entire cake is colonized (ie: pins growing on top, dry substrate on bottom). Is this a reasonable concern, and if so, do you have any suggestions as to how to raise the temp economically?

3. Light -- During colonization, is it best to have no light or low light, or some combination of the two?

Those are my main concerns right now. Thanks for taking the time to read, or reply to my questions.
p.s. : I deviated slightly from straight PFTEK. First of all, i used 20 cc of spore solution (Yipi Lai from thehawkseye.com) for 12 1/2 pint jars in hopes of speeding colonization. Second, i used water from a nearby lake in my substrate, which i first boiled for about a 1/2 hour with the lid on. I think the lake water idea was added as a suggestion on PFTEK's site.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: The Wait.... [Re: bruisedBlue]
    #844636 - 08/26/02 04:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

#1 Do what you feel is right. Everyone has an opinion here.
#2 75 is fine, but things will move faster in the 80-85 range.
#3 During colonization, no light.

If you want more specific information, try the FAQ.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Wait.... [Re: bruisedBlue]
    #844954 - 08/26/02 06:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1.) leave the tape on til you have 60 or 70% colonization.

2.) you need to raise the temp up to 83 to 84 degrees.
You won't need to birth them before they are fully colonized.
Main reason for pins in jars is that they are getting light....so no light til you are fruiting them.
Build an incubator to heat up your jars.

3.) during colonization it best to have no light.

In reply to:

I deviated slightly from straight PFTEK. First of all, i used 20 cc of spore solution (Yipi Lai from thehawkseye.com) for 12 1/2 pint jars in hopes of speeding colonization.

Your fine with 1.6 cc of spores per jar.

In reply to:

Second, i used water from a nearby lake in my substrate, which i first boiled for about a 1/2 hour with the lid on. I think the lake water idea was added as a suggestion on PFTEK's site.

Depends on how poluted the Lake is!

good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation