Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineallsmilez
Stranger
Female

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
new and confused
    #8444181 - 05/25/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all! This is my first "grow" and Im experiencing some conflicting symtoms,....Im sure none of which are of major concern, just confusing me a little....

I have one B+ cake in its first flush that is showing signs of bruising on the top edges.....They are brf/verm cakes, and they are sitting on a layer of verm in a tub with about 11/2" of moist perlite(sitting directly on the perlite). I would assume the bruising is from low RH, as they have not been touched in any way since birthing almost 2 weeks ago... just fanned very gently 2X a day, and finely misted also 2X a day.....Fruiting well, no contaminants, etc....

Heres where Im confused,....They also have quite a bit of mycelium growing along the bases of the stems. I am under the impression that is a sign of too much humidity?

Should I just put a layer of moist verm on the top of the cake and get it up off the perlite and onto a lid of sorts? I am just a little confused as to the bruising AND mycelium on the stems.....?

I do plan to try dunking and possibly casing when the second flush comes around.....Would this be a better way to maintain rh?

--------------------
If the grass WAS greener on the other side of the fence, don't you think I would be THERE?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewisp

Re: new and confused [Re: allsmilez]
    #8444185 - 05/25/08 05:19 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You can't have too much humidity with cakes. Mycelium from the stem butts is perfectly normal. Bruising without touching is a sign of low humidity, so try to raise it a bit, perhaps by adding another couple of inches of perlite. After the second flush dunk and roll. The rolling is important is maintaining humidity and moisture on cakes.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: new and confused [Re: allsmilez]
    #8444196 - 05/25/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

allsmilez said:

Heres where Im confused,....They also have quite a bit of mycelium growing along the bases of the stems. I am under the impression that is a sign of too much humidity?

You cannot have too much humidity, keep that in mind.

Quote:

allsmilez said:I do plan to try dunking and possibly casing when the second flush comes around.....Would this be a better way to maintain rh?

Dunking is to rehydrate cakes. RH is attained and maintained by the perlite. That being said, you should not put your cakes directly on the perlite. You should dunk and roll at birthing and between each flush. Also, you will gain little to no benefit from casing BRF jars, this is most used for WBS and grain methods.

Hope this helps

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: new and confused [Re: wisp]
    #8444209 - 05/25/08 05:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Never set cakes on perlite. The mycelium will waste energy that should be used for fruiting, on colonizing a substance with no food.

4 to 5 inches of well drained perlite is recommended, not 1 1/2.

Mycelium on the stems is normal and not an indication of humidity. After all, mushrooms are mycelium.

Dunking is to replenish moisture. If you cakes are blue, they're dry. Here ya go: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/21149_7737.asp
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineallsmilez
Stranger
Female

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
Re: new and confused [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8444233 - 05/25/08 05:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

AHA,:grin:....I have read so many different TEK's, I got confused, lol....I will immediately get them off the perlite! And add more of it,....And I'll keep researching my options on the different casing tek's,...May end up trying them all! THANKS!!!!:)-smilez

And thank you for the helpful vid link, RogerRabbit!:thumbup:

--------------------
If the grass WAS greener on the other side of the fence, don't you think I would be THERE?

Edited by allsmilez (05/25/08 05:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck