Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Hydrogen Peroxide
    #842302 - 08/25/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Has anyone here heard of using hydrogen peroxide as a sterilizing agent verses using pressure cooker etc...... ?
I am new to forum and growing , I have been doing a lot of research , and in my exploits have found some mention of a method using peroxide .
:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineprimitive
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: tripndicular]
    #842313 - 08/25/02 01:38 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

no i have never heard of a tek only using hydrogen peroxide only. i know that hydrogen peroxide wont hurt the mycellium but i think it will kill spores.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #842314 - 08/25/02 01:39 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Read a bit more my friend.....the easy answer is no

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #842375 - 08/25/02 02:28 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i think you are perhaps confusing pasturize and sterilize. hydorgen peroxide is not effective against large colonies of bacteria or multicellular organisms like mushroom mycelium. do a search on the subject, there are thousands of posts on it.

Edited by tchyted (08/25/02 02:29 PM)

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: tchyted]
    #842641 - 08/25/02 05:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

No, according to the site I found it at , it is a method that is new to the edible mushroom community i.e. morrells , portobellos etc........ they mention the use in composted materials . I am not sure if method can be used in the growth of P.CUBES . They also mention the lack of normal equipment needed with the method .
That is why I have come here hoping to find someone with experience in growing my favorite species , that may understand the basic info described at web site I found . I do not want to buy from them if it cannot be applied to my project .
By the way , I am not expreienced at all in growing any fungi except athletes foot hahaha .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #842643 - 08/25/02 05:09 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

what site?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: wrestler_az]
    #842652 - 08/25/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

mycomasters.com

--------------------

Offlinejimsuzo
I am the Eggman

Loc: Land of the not-so-free
    #842719 - 08/25/02 05:43 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Peroxide is NOT a substitue for pressure cooking as it will kill the spores that come into contact with it. The most popular use of peroxide is either 1) spraying in a dilute solution on cased substratesor 2) for adding to the water that one adds to a perlite-floored terrarium. In either use, the ratio used is roughly 10 parts H20 to 1 part peroxide. It basically is good for killing and preventing fungus/mold. Hope this helps...

--------------------
There are roughly nine galaxies for every person alive on the planet today. Each of these galaxies has a billion suns, give or take the odd hundred million

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: jimsuzo]
    #842801 - 08/25/02 06:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanx , does help a bit . I will try by the rules of kit I am to get , then possibly buy the method to experiment with . It sounded as if it would help with contams alot without a lot of effort , and equipment . Of course they only say enough to interest you , not enough to apply it though .
Are you experienced in mycology ?

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #842816 - 08/25/02 06:19 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

in my exploits have found some mention of a method using peroxide

You probably read about adding a bit of peroxide to agar or even mixing peroxide with spray water. Do a search for more info if you're curious.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #842874 - 08/25/02 06:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

No , it was an add of a sort , check it out , I need to read the site more for clues . I did a search on MSN for.......... mushroom "growing " , I found mycomasters.com .
If you have experience , please see what you can extract . I am not knowlegable in area ....yet !

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #842913 - 08/25/02 06:50 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

If I'm not mistaken (haven't read the papers), those documents describe using peroxide to inhibit contaminants in your processes, not the substrates that you innoculate.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinegroingrinder
mycophiliac

#842966 - 08/25/02 07:22 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I have heard of adding 10cc of peroxide to quart jars of grain when doing grain to grain transfers.

--------------------
Let's not confuse truth with reality.

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Loc: caught in the storm of en...
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: jimsuzo]
    #843373 - 08/26/02 02:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Peroxide is NOT a substitue for pressure cooking as it will kill the spores that come into contact with it.

hrmn i added a bit o hydrogen peroxide to my pf jars before i sterelized them. will this make a difference later when i innoculate? im thinking yes, but tell me if im mistaken. i shure hope im not heating up sterile jars lmao... (newb if you cant tell)

--------------------
[real.eyes.realize.real.lies]
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #843715 - 08/26/02 07:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

They also mention using at prep of substrates . But I just scanned it some more , they seem to revolve around the use of paper pellets , wood fuel pellets etc .... have not found info on if applicable to compost grown mushrooms .
Definetly requires some investigation , experimentation .

--------------------

OfflinetelefunkenU47
numerator
Loc: cartoon planet
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: goatywoaty]
    #844257 - 08/26/02 11:45 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

it may have just been a fluke, but i recently had a successful inocculation with a syringe containing spores, water and h2o2. i had a rather large fruit that did not dry fast enough in the chamber and sporulated on some foil. i put the foil in sterile water with a small dash of peroxide, shook, drew into a syringe and innoculated a jar that had a very small patch of halted growth on one side (i innoculated on the other side). i checked the jar 7 days later to find a massive amount of mycelium on the h202 spore solution side. as there was already mycelium in the jar, i almost suspect that the jar was dehydrated and just needed more water. in any case, i have recently duplicated the experiment with a jar that has never been innoculated previously. i'll post an update on my findings in a few days.

--------------------
Central Scrutinizer:
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...
That was Joe's first confrontation with The Law.
Naturally, we were easy on him.
One of our friendly counselors gave him
A do-nut...and told him to
Stick closer to church-oriented social activities.

-Frank Zappa's "Joe's Garage"

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #863930 - 09/04/02 03:52 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reasonable amounts h2o2 is completely safe on mycelium and is more commonly used to mist casings, when h2o2 is exposed for a prolonged time to sunlight and air it loses an oxygen molecule rendering it h2o which we all know is as safe as water!

got it?

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract