Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: inski]
    #8446002 - 05/26/08 05:38 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
As you also mention, if the active species are reclassified into Weraroa all other Weraroa species would also have to be reclassified into different genera therefore dishonouring the mycologists responsible for the description and naming of the Weraroa genus, unless someone discovers another active species!
What a conflict this could cause!
I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

Actually it's very simple!  Weraroa is an extremely polyphyletic genus as it stands.  Basically, the species currently in Weraroa are all secotiod "versions" of unrelated mushrooms!  Well, "versions" may not be an appropriate term, but all the species in are close relatives to random other genera of non-secotioid mushrooms.  They're just the freakish relatives that got disowned and lumped together with all the other freaks based on morphology! 

For instance, W. erythrocephala is sooort ooof the freak version of Leratiomyces ceres (=Stropharia aurantiaca), and when the mushroom known as S. aurantiaca was replaced into Leratiomyces, so was W. erythrocephala as Leratiomyces erythrocephalus
I anticipate the current Weraroa species will be teased apart and redistributed, and the bluing Psilocybe will move right in.

It is no loss to the founder of the genus Weraroa, as the genus was built on W. novae-zelandiae.  The genus is described when the type species is, so he thought he had name to a secotioid clade, but rather, he's got the "Shrooms maaaaaaan", haha.  I wonder if he saw that coming...  :mushroom2:  :nut:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8446014 - 05/26/08 05:50 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
It's not about what your average active mushroom hunter thinks sounds cool, it's about the painstaking long hours of work the mycologist does to classify these organisms, just spend all day looking through a microscope and you may get an idea of the paitence and dedication it takes!

Exactly. I really don't care if the hippies are too fried to remember new names, or if it is inconvenient or a pain in the ass. Especially since I started doing ITS sequencing work for a mycology lab- it's tedious, and nerve wrecking! It's so easy to fuck up when you are working with measurements down to 1.5 µl !

Yes, everyone else might be busy doing their own work, but then leave the naming to those who devote their lives to it and stop arguing! It's totally futile. It won't change the inevitable- the lineages have been set, and we're just trying to figure them out. Nothing you say is going to change the DNA. If you want to use the old names because it's easier, go for it.
And yes, you will come off as a taxonomically uninformed hobbyist, but hey, I don't pretend to know rocket science.

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: CureCat]
    #8446021 - 05/26/08 05:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yes I see, just like Thaxterogaster is the secotioid equivalent to Cortinarius actually I think Thaxterogaster has been reclassified into Cortinarius for example Cortinarius porphyroides, Kings pouch!
I bet he did see it coming!
inski..

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8446026 - 05/26/08 06:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Another good example! Yes.

Quote:

inski said:
I bet he did see it coming!

I bet he saw all sorts of things, eheheh. :igor:

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8446031 - 05/26/08 06:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hahahaha, I bet!
Check out that interesting one I just posted!
inski...

--------------------

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8446119 - 05/26/08 07:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

why are you putting "hippies" down and what do they have to do with naming species.
tell me more about this class of people..
cant wait to stick to the "hippies" eh?
I'm a little surprised at that comment seeing how alot of people YOU consider "hippies" frequent this site and support it.

If the species type does no accurately reflect the genus, why is it "hippie" to just change it to a suitable type?

American conservatives of the late sixties used the term hippie as an insult toward young adults whom they considered unpatriotic, uninformed, and naive.
Others used the term hippie in a more personal way to disparage long-haired, unwashed, unkempt drug users.
In contemporary conservative settings, the term hippie is often used to allude to slacker attitudes,
irresponsibility, participation in recreational drug use, activism in causes considered relatively trivial, and leftist political leanings (regardless of whether the individual is actually connected to the hippie subculture)

Hippie - a person who believes in peace, love, freedom and happiness, someone who rejects the established culture; advocates extreme liberalism in politics and lifestyle. You dont have to use drugs to be a hippie.

These are the people your insulting.

Edited by HerbBaker (05/26/08 09:20 AM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: HerbBaker]
    #8446671 - 05/26/08 12:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, that's them all right!

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8449419 - 05/27/08 01:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I presume that was aimed at N2loma?
I don't put people down, I would be considered a hippie according to your final description, haha:)
Peace, love, freedom and happiness!
inski...

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8449437 - 05/27/08 01:59 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You're the sort of "hippie" i like.  :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8449456 - 05/27/08 02:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Haha, thanks! I try to practice those four words every day:cool:
inski..

--------------------

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
    #8449528 - 05/27/08 02:49 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ok... so that took me a while to digest. I wonder if anyone is going to try and make these corrections. Or if as previously said, kinda get "tossed under the mat".

The confusion would make beginners lost beyond belief.

Hippies? Lord knows we all fit into this category a little bit... Except Curecat. The first time I saw her I drove several hundred miles from home, went alone and met her in a park. She had what looked like barbed wire around her neck and listened to music that no hippie would ever listen to...

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #8449537 - 05/27/08 02:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I really don't think it can be ignored, people dedicate their lives to studying family trees!
Barbed wire, haha, interesting:cool:
inski..

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8449538 - 05/27/08 02:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So are you going to attempt to get this species properly identified?

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
    #8449540 - 05/27/08 02:59 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

True! someones gonna get pissy though. COnfusion confusion confusion. I had to look up several terms in order to get through it. I still am getting used to basic genetics and classification.

Offlinehaunted
 User Gallery

Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #8449621 - 05/27/08 04:29 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Was the Weraroa genus derived from New Zealand? "Weraroa" sounds kinda Maori. Just Like Psilocybe makarorae is based on the Maori place name Makarora, near the Otago Lakes.

Hahah I developed extreme anti-hippie prejudice when my old flatmate (who was feral) kept bringing them home to sleep on the couch/reject the ideals we held about cleaning/hygeine/using the toilet (they'd go in the garden)/paying for things they ate; plus they'd always go on about the latest teepee retreat/music festival/self iron-branding ritual/drumming circle they were taking part in... and most of them were from the god-damn USA!! all coming down to little old new zealand to "find themselves" at largely the locals' expense... I just started calling them "ferals" after a while...

But then I do believe in freedom/love/peace whathaveyou (in context)

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: haunted]
    #8449726 - 05/27/08 06:37 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hi haunted,
The type specimen for Weraroa is Weraroa novaezelandiae therefore yes the Weraroa genus was first described from specimens of our Globose pouch or Blue pouch as it's more commonly known!
As far as I know the name comes from a Maori place name in the upper north island:cool:
inski...

--------------------

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8449808 - 05/27/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Barbed wire? now that's surprising.
:bow:

Offlinefvccant
Baka-Sama
    #8450332 - 05/27/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I can pretty much be considered a hippie. Hell, Stephen Gaskin conducted the ceremony for my parents wedding...And my Parents lived on The Farm for some time, though I wasn't born there myself.(If you don't know google them. I'm just assuming a good bunch of you here do)

I'm not offended. People do need to accept that things change.

Such is science. Ever developing, ever changing. I love knowledge, and I sure as hell would like to know exactly what I'm looking at when I see it.

Edited by fvccant (05/27/08 12:22 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8451331 - 05/27/08 04:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The microscopic features of this collection are a pretty good match for P. subaeruginosa. The large, smooth subellipsoid spores look almost the same, and are some of the largest spores from any Psilocybe species. The cystidia seems to match somewhat with Workman's composite and Guzman's description.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Unusual Psilocybe species! [Re: fvccant]
    #8451446 - 05/27/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Subbedhunter420 said:
Hippies? Lord knows we all fit into this category a little bit... Except Curecat. The first time I saw her I drove  several hundred miles from home, went alone and met her in a park. She had what looked like barbed wire around her neck and listened to music that no hippie would ever listen to...

Hahaha!  :wink:
The "barbed wire" is a pinch collar, and the music is called breakcore, IDM, glitch, etc., good sounds, eh??

I wish we'd found some more actives that day.  You should try and wait and plan your trip within a week of when everyone starts posting and finding them everywhere.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags