Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemexicosgreatest
draftsman
Male

pf with coffee
    #8436092 - 05/23/08 07:26 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

so Im still pretty new to growing, had my first grow with pf jars come out with half a cake that produced a decent amount of mushrooms, and about 19 days ago I started my second grow. and 6 days ago I started a third batch of jars with the spores of my first grow.

the second batch I mixed up straight as the tek showed, and the third, I mixed with 25% espresso and 75% water, because i read somewhere on here that that works to speed growth.

and it did. im looking at these cakes this morning, and their they are about 75 to 80 percent colonized after only 6 days of incubation. my first cakes took a whole month to colonize, and my second batch done without coffee is about 80% colonized but at day 19.

did the coffee really do what i think it did and speed up the mycelium growth? and did the difference between espresso and coffee do anything??

I just mixed up another batch of jars yesterday with about a half cup of espresso fine grind and im hoping to get the same effects.

*only reason im using espresso is because all i have is this little espresso machine so all i buy is espresso grind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: pf with coffee [Re: mexicosgreatest]
    #8436102 - 05/23/08 07:32 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mexicosgreatest said:
so Im still pretty new to growing, had my first grow with pf jars come out with half a cake that produced a decent amount of mushrooms, and about 19 days ago I started my second grow. and 6 days ago I started a third batch of jars with the spores of my first grow.

the second batch I mixed up straight as the tek showed, and the third, I mixed with 25% espresso and 75% water, because i read somewhere on here that that works to speed growth.

and it did. im looking at these cakes this morning, and their they are about 75 to 80 percent colonized after only 6 days of incubation. my first cakes took a whole month to colonize, and my second batch done without coffee is about 80% colonized but at day 19.

did the coffee really do what i think it did and speed up the mycelium growth? and did the difference between espresso and coffee do anything??

I just mixed up another batch of jars yesterday with about a half cup of espresso fine grind and im hoping to get the same effects.

*only reason im using espresso is because all i have is this little espresso machine so all i buy is espresso grind.

Well normally its recommended to use spent coffee grain, not the actual expresso coffee...But who could argue with your colonization rate? Unless its contamination. Only a little more time will tell :smile:

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

InvisibleantiPock
fighting entropy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sol 3
Re: pf with coffee [Re: Neobean]
    #8436109 - 05/23/08 07:37 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Using espresso roasted bean or liquid sounds like a good idea though - the more heavily roasted the bean, the lower the acid content.

Offlinemexicosgreatest
draftsman
Male

Re: pf with coffee [Re: Neobean]
    #8436142 - 05/23/08 07:59 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Neobean said:
Quote:

mexicosgreatest said:

well actually, last night i thought that i had cobweb mold but when i checked this morning, it got a lot brighter and whiter.? time will tell

Well normally its recommended to use spent coffee grain, not the actual expresso coffee...But who could argue with your colonization rate? Unless its contamination. Only a little more time will tell :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: pf with coffee [Re: mexicosgreatest]
    #8436167 - 05/23/08 08:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I've long recommended hydrating grains and/or pf cakes with weak coffee. Somewhere around here is a 50+ page thread on using coffee from 2003 or '04.

The only thing really NOT to do with coffee is dunk with it. That will stimulate and feed mold spores that land on the cake after birthing.

There is no doubt that weak coffee speeds up colonization, and also no doubt that if you use too much coffee it will slow down or stop colonization.

Coffee grinds are better suited for bulk substrates, but liquid coffee is great for hydrating grains or pf cakes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: pf with coffee [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8436178 - 05/23/08 08:22 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I've long recommended hydrating grains and/or pf cakes with weak coffee. Somewhere around here is a 50+ page thread on using coffee from 2003 or '04.

The only thing really NOT to do with coffee is dunk with it. That will stimulate and feed mold spores that land on the cake after birthing.

There is no doubt that weak coffee speeds up colonization, and also no doubt that if you use too much coffee it will slow down or stop colonization.

Coffee grinds are better suited for bulk substrates, but liquid coffee is great for hydrating grains or pf cakes.
RR

Thanks RR, I was wondering what you thought about this..

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale