Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKilla_J
Killa

Loc: over here
bulk question
    #843446 - 08/26/02 06:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This may sound like a stupid question, but it is because I am attempting my first bulk cultivation. Since I've spawned the substrate, it's been colonizing slow. This is due to temperature and lack of spawn. One of the jars I intended on using went a lot slower than the other, so I only used one quart of spawn. Well, now that the second jar finally matured, would it be okay to sprinkle some of the grain from that jar on top of the substrate? I want to make sure the top colonizes quickly to help protect against contaminants.

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: bulk question [Re: Killa_J]
    #843536 - 08/26/02 07:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like you were working with only 2 jars of spawn.

You could use the second jar as you suggest.

But, it might be better to use it to for grain to grain transfers & create 15 or 20 more jars from that one. That way you should end up with as much spawn as you need -- whenever you need it.

Grain to grain (or seed to seed) transfers are simple. If you have a hepa filter & small room without carpets or drafts to do them in (bathroon will work).

Clean the room while hepa is running, spray Lysol & have new jars ready for the transfers. Use a face mask & shower cap to cover you mouth & hair. Use a big spoon that you have swabbed with Lysol or alchol.

Turn off the Hepa (so no air moves), spay lysol again & wipe everything including the jars -- clean. Loosen but do not remove the lids on the jars your going to use.

Open the colonized jar, dig out a heaping spoon full & transfer to a fresh jar & replace the lid on it. Just do that repeatedly with the fresh jars until you run out of colonized substance from the master jar.

Then shake all the fresh jars to spead the colonized grain (or seed) in them. Incubate the fresh jars as you normaly would.

Sooner than you think, you will have spawn -- up the gazoo.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineKilla_J
Killa

Loc: over here
Re: bulk question [Re: SixTango]
    #843700 - 08/26/02 09:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I only had two because the size of my bin with the compost/straw is 1'x2'. I read somewhere that one jar of grain per square foot of substrate was plenty. Now, I'm actually about to have a ton of spawn laying around. At the same time I was pasteurizing my straw, I was sterilizing 7 more quarts of grain. 1 of them hasn't shown any growth, but the other 6 have a bunch of mycelium growing. The problem is, I don't really know what to do with them all. Once a jar is fully colonized, can I let it sit around for a while? One bulk operation at a time is plenty for me since I'm not selling it or anything.

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation