Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSampaJasli
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #8426704 - 05/21/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Even if society does protect those with "weak genes" that does not necessarily lead to hurting the species. Just because those with weak genes survive, it does not mean that they will reproduce and pass on their genes. Social barriers are one example - For instance a mentally disabled person has less chance of producing offspring merely because they are perceived as less attractive by the opposite sex.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenalyudi
he runs about
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oak Savanna Region
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #8426711 - 05/21/08 12:03 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i posted a question similar to this in the science forum and it was shot down pretty hard. of course i mentioned evolution and that is what everyone was freaking out about. but yeah i think medicines that are keeping weak genes in the pool are slowing us down. im tempted to call this a repost, but i dont know that you saw mine :tongue2:

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: nalyudi]
    #8429612 - 05/21/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nalyudi said:
i posted a question similar to this in the science forum and it was shot down pretty hard. of course i mentioned evolution and that is what everyone was freaking out about. but yeah i think medicines that are keeping weak genes in the pool are slowing us down. im tempted to call this a repost, but i dont know that you saw mine :tongue2:

Refute my statement.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Invisiblenalyudi
he runs about
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oak Savanna Region
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: downforpot]
    #8429633 - 05/21/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

you want me to prove you wrong?

how about stapling peoples stomach so they can be thin, then they reproduce, therefore passing on a gene that encourages obesity in that family

Edited by nalyudi (05/21/08 05:02 PM)

OfflineTheHappieHippies
Uber-Goober
Female User Gallery

Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: downforpot]
    #8429640 - 05/21/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I've contemplated this exact concept frequently. We as humans have overridden a few of nature's designs, like natural selection. Reproduction has been really screwed with and thrown completely out of nature's design. What I wonder is, are we as a species progressing, or just getting off track? Nature seems to be perfect, the laws are tested and true, and if we could only stay within the guidelines provided to us by our earth and the other species within it it would appear we could be much more successful at "progress". All we have really achieved is finding more and more ways to remain lazy...

--------------------

Invisible0kehSt0nr
Bakery Fresh
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: smb://slakcr
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: TheHappieHippies]
    #8429699 - 05/21/08 05:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

it's not just that we're getting lazy. for example, i have biplar disorder and am a carrier of alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency (A1AD). sometimes i think it'd be almost cruel to bust a baby into this world with almost 100% chance of mental illness (the gf's bipolar too) and a chance of A1AD.

we shouldnt have shit like this circulating in the gene (seces)pool as much as it is.

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: 0kehSt0nr]
    #8429710 - 05/21/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Unless we're talking about down syndrom or something, there are so many disorders that don't significantly reduce a person's likelyhood to suceed. It's just stupid to say that that person doesn't deserve to live. (This argument is completely separate from any gene engineering type arguments).

--------------------

Discuss Politics

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: nalyudi]
    #8429879 - 05/21/08 05:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nalyudi said:
you want me to prove you wrong?

how about stapling peoples stomach so they can be thin, then they reproduce, therefore passing on a gene that encourages obesity in that family

Food supplies drop for a short period of time. People with the most fat survive that short period of time and the rest die off. Who goes extinct in that short period of time? The fat fucks or the skinny fucks?

A virus infects people that specifically targets adipocytes. People with less adipocytes (skinnier) have less energy for prolonged tasks. People with more adipocytes (fatties) have more energy for prolonged tasks. Which one will be more successful in a task which is longer and results in a higher survivability than shorter tasks?

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Edited by downforpot (05/21/08 05:59 PM)

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: johnm214]
    #8430812 - 05/21/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

*cough* eugenics! *cough*

man I must have a cold or something

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinemisterdogman
Educationalresearcher ofthe Shroom
Male

Loc: International Waters in a...
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8430867 - 05/21/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

YES IT DOES...by supporting people who need welfare your feeding weakness and letting it get all healthy and fat off food stamps...and then it is going breed more weak retarded white trash babies and inner city retardedness into a new generation with other people on welfare and make sick welfare babies...

if you cant afford to support your own needs and health care and family you should not breed at all...any somewhat smart person can find enough money to live and support a family... if you cant you should die....theres money all over the ground you just need to just go pick up ...if your to genetically weak to figure it out why should you be supported by society just so you can turn around and breed children like you

i say kill off the inbred white trash rednecks and ignorant uneducated other races and other genetic failures... and breed a supreme race from perfect specimens...just a thought but we did it with dogs, its called eugenics and can create near perfection if you knew what you were doing...it could also ruin everything tho unless you kept a master lol....

--------------------
While driving my overpowered car around tight corners like a maniac all my friends yell out. Hey man slow down, we might Wreck. I reply, Shut up, I drive like Dale Earnhardt. They all look around at each other and laugh. Then one asks me. Hey wait, isnt he dead? Well yeah he is I said. Then I drive like Junior I mumble, while I promptly slow down.
"Everyday is opposite day. Everything I say is opposite of what you think I am saying. So if I say something and you think I mean one thing it is the opposite of what I am really trying to say. I actually mean another thing other than what you are thinking I am saying. Get it? Good because that's what I meant".
"You may defeat me, you may even destroy me, But you will never CONQUER me"!

Edited by misterdogman (05/21/08 10:16 PM)

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: misterdogman]
    #8431409 - 05/22/08 12:57 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

misterdogman said:
YES IT DOES...by supporting people who need welfare your feeding weakness and letting it get all healthy and fat off food stamps...and then it is going breed more weak retarded white trash babies and inner city retardedness into a new generation with other people on welfare and make sick welfare babies...

if you cant afford to support your own needs and health care and family you should not breed at all...any somewhat smart person can find enough money to live and support a family... if you cant you should die....theres money all over the ground you just need to just go pick up ...if your to genetically weak to figure it out why should you be supported by society just so you can turn around and breed children like you

i say kill off the inbred white trash rednecks and ignorant uneducated other races and other genetic failures... and breed a supreme race from perfect specimens...just a thought but we did it with dogs, its called eugenics and can create near perfection if you knew what you were doing...it could also ruin everything tho unless you kept a master lol....

I spent alot of time contemplating these ideas as a younger man. And about how modern medicine promotes the de evolution of the human being. At the same time, I think that such a program would promote the survival of a less compassionate human being, and I think that this could be a genetic weakness. Imagine if we never had the true compassion of our parents as an infant. I think this would lead to an emotionally ill equipped human. I also think that when you look at the big picture of humanity as an entity in itself, it would be a weaker entity if it's parts didn't funtion as a whole. Compassion being a stimulant to help us work as a whole.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #8431596 - 05/22/08 02:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I think embracing the idea that we need to care for those who need it because they are inately valuable as human beings, is much more important for our race than weeding out genes we see as defective.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: DimensionX]
    #8431969 - 05/22/08 07:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: SampaJasli]
    #8431986 - 05/22/08 07:15 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

were fucked anyways, even if the argument is a valid one. humans wont live long enough to evolve into some great genetic miracle, beyond what we have already accomplished.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Offlinerexmundi
Stranger

Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: DimensionX]
    #8431987 - 05/22/08 07:16 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well I'm not sure of how epic the genetic impact will be, here is my social perspective that may give some food for thought.  We human beings seem to feel like we've almost "beat the system" in terms of evolution in that we no longer need our physical hunting gathering skills to survive.  Granted, a vast majority of the planet still lives in poverty, but I am considering the hegemonic perspective here.  We are smart enough now, that we can control a great deal of the natural world and exploit it for our own survival.

As of 2003 I think, or maybe earlier, more than 50% of the world's population live in urban settings.  We have officially transferred from Agrarian to Urban.  There are more people now than there were 100 years ago, in fact, the population started to spike not too long ago, it's grown exponentially because we become so adept at manipulating nature.  More people survive and longer. 

Not only that but our ideals have changed.  Liberalism could be cited, so could the human rights movement.  The fact is, we humans believe we are supreme on earth, we have the right to harvest and reap.  Think about the Hippocratic oath, human life is to be preserved at all costs, quality is not considered, resources are not considered.  Think about how much efforts hospitals go through to preserve life in vain attempts. 

So our capabilities over nature are growing, so is our population and sense of entitlement.  But so are the problems associated with these.  Huge populations that consume at the rate we do are not sustainable.  The fact is there are way too many humans.  How can a planet sustain over 6 Billion humans who all theoretically have a right to govern one another, own a mansion, produce 5 bags of garbage a week, have as many kids as they choose get a good paying job, worship who they please, observe the holidays they please, eat as much as they please, and sleep with who they please.

How is that even feasible?  Something's going to downgrade the living condition, and it would be interesting to know the genetic rigour of 6 billion human beings who are cheating nature as they breed.  Another thing to consider is now the developed world and the so called developing world are already vastly different when it comes to diseases and immune systems.  They suffer diseases that we have all but conquered, yet all our resources go into curing diseases that only those in the "civilized" world suffer, think of Cancer research vs AIDS.  How long until that disease seperation gets bigger?  Right now you get shots before you travel, but with super bugs, pandemics, and the huge class divide it could get way worse. 

Holy shit that was long, I don't blame you if you don't read.  Sometimes I get typing and can't stop
</rant>:crazy2:

--------------------
"I Love Democracy"
-Emporer Palpatine

Fuck the system.

InvisibleAfroshroomerican
Oprah's Minion
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8431996 - 05/22/08 07:20 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
*cough* eugenics! *cough*

man I must have a cold or something

Totally agree. Eugenic-based societies have not proven successful in the past--both in their attempt to weed-out "faulty genes" and to have affluence.

Aside from that, geneticism fails to explain how twins can have two very distinct and different personalities (e.g. Cheng and Eng http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_and_Eng_Bunker --you don't get much closer than this, folks).

Until there can be a clear-cut, overt distinction between what traits are genetic and which are environmentally influenced, I believe that debating the issue is moot.

--------------------
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

<passitbobbie> if I just showed you a closeup of my ass
<passitbobbie> youd think it was female

"You owe errrbody up in here an apology fow youwe shit, HO!" - classic

Edited by Afroshroomerican (05/22/08 07:21 AM)

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8432016 - 05/22/08 07:28 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Only in that we are now overpopulated. We are no longer hunter-gatherers, so genetic evolution is much less of a deciding factor in our survival than it once was.

The relevant factor now is behavioral and cultural evolution. Our genes are so well-suited towards caveman behavior that we are causing all sorts of unnecessary problems for ourselves: greed, materialism, violence, rape, prejudice, overeating, having more kids than we can take care of, jealousy, oppression, fear-mongering... every shitty thing human beings do is because we're still wild animals genetically.

All of these things are beneficial to hunter-gatherers, but they are detrimental to modern humans. We have to overcome the influence of our genetic conditioning in order to save humanity. It will take a widespread shift in values, towards compassion and mindfulness, and away from self-righteousness and selfishness.

Genetic evolution is far too slow to help us now.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Does society hurt our species by protecting the weak genes? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8432033 - 05/22/08 07:36 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I wonder what sort of genetic changes will be possible as we begin to migrate into space. I suspect a weightless environment may be just the catalyst we need.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck