Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCosmic_Monkey
PongidaeKosmikos

Loc: Somewhere between inner-s...
Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model
    #841908 - 08/25/02 08:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Surely a lot of you are familiar with this, I was just wondering what thoughts any of you might have about it.
http://www.fiu.edu/~mizrachs/Wilson-model.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsilo25
The one stuck inthe middle ofthis hopelessmess.

Loc: over here
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: Cosmic_Monkey]
    #841926 - 08/25/02 08:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Don't listen to Leary. He's nothing but a spaced-out wacko. Although some of his ideas are somewhat interesting, he's still a wack-job. And he may very well have single-handedly ruined the promising future of the psychotherapeutic potentials of LSD and other psychedelics, but that's a topic for another day... As far as this eight-circuit model goes, its very interesting, but very flawed. To divide the human mind into eight "levels" and then to associate each one with a psychoactive drug is gross oversimplification, and sign perhaps that Leary was a bit overly obsessed with drugs. The drug assignments seem rather arbitrary, and with a little rewording and reorganization, one could place these drugs into any of the eight circuits and it could make just as much sense. And just how in the hell can a dissociative anaesthetic bring you to the highest level? For that matter, how can any drug do this? Not much of anything convincing here, if you ask me.

--------------------
Stand up for your freedoms, join the fight against the War on Drugs!

www.drcnet.org
www.drugpolicyalliance.org
www.drugsense.org

Edited by psilo25 (08/25/02 11:42 AM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: psilo25]
    #842118 - 08/25/02 10:59 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"Prometheus Rising" (one of Wilson's book on the 8 circuit model) changed my life several times over. Whenever I get confused or pissed off about this wacky monkey-driven planet most of seem to live in most of the time, I read it and feel at least a little better.

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Offlinejustchillin
Stranger
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: Discordja]
    #842151 - 08/25/02 11:27 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

why doesnt lsd put you in the highest circut? why didnt leary and them all just stick to ketamine if that puts you in the 8th circut, or is the 7th "better"???

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: Discordja]
    #842176 - 08/25/02 11:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I love Robert Anton Wilsons and Timothy Leary's work. And I think it is a wonderful model of consiousness, at least the best I have read.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: psilo25]
    #842541 - 08/25/02 04:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I agree... oversimplified. Too much emphasis on the drugs (I take the Kesey view of drugs over the Leary/Owsley approach).

BTW, I've taken Ketamine... being STUCK in now is nothing but self-gratifying pleasure-sucking. I also had it in fourth grade (Ketalar, aka Ketamine... the anaesthetic during an outpatient operation I had). I woke up tripping my balls off (didn't know I was tripping until years later... after my first LSD experience), I walked around the doctor's office... hallways warping and melting into a fisheye.. then a sphere... then I fell down and had to be taken out in a wheelchair... ANYWAYS, I gained no "divine" insight from that experience (I did gain a good experience with weirdness though), so it can't just be the drugs handing an experience to us...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: Sclorch]
    #842944 - 08/25/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I gained no "divine" insight from that experience

Now why arn't I surprised....

Do you take a drug and think you magically become Buddha? Doesn't work like that sclorch. As K Trout said "it is always the student that has to do the work". You don't do the work therefore you don't get the experience. Simple.

Taking entheogens is a two part deal - the entheogen and you. Kinda like exams. If you don't get the results you wanted don't blame the teachers, blame yourself.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: Xlea321]
    #842961 - 08/25/02 07:18 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Did you think this was a NEW concept to me?
I was voicing a complete thought process... so as to not leave anything out and, thus, not losing anyone. Maybe there are some people out there who aren't familiar with the differing views on psychedelics (drugs-are-all-you-need vs. drug-plus-effort). As such....

At least you agree on this.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #845472 - 08/26/02 08:34 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I really enjoyed reading this model of the brain, while I dont believe it is accurate or true, it has some good info on how the brain works.

Take it with abstraction.

Some of the things they say can be used in models of how the brain works, artificial intelligence, etc.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleCosmic_Monkey
PongidaeKosmikos

Loc: Somewhere between inner-s...
    #846848 - 08/27/02 11:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think a lot of it seems true. I've never done ketamine, but I have heard you can have OBE's with it. As for acid, I've always seem to reach a higher level of awarness on it. The second circuit drug trigger -alcohol- I think is pretty well know to cause people to think with their emotions. Ah, who really knows??
Here's an interesting way they have applied it to Star Trek (something to think about next time you watch it)
Star Trek
E - Transporter beam, Sensors
DNA- Aliens
Mind - Computer, Prime Directive
Body- Enterprise
Social - alternately paternalistic/romantic Captain Kirk
Conceptual- logical science-officer Mr. Spock
Emotional - emotional and sentimental Dr. McCoy
Physical - life-support and defense-system engineer Scotty

Another interesting thought is that these circuits seem a lot like the chakras the Kundilani yogins describe...
To anyone interested I got this info from this website:
The Deoxyribonucleic Hyperdimension

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Wilson-Leary Eight Circuit Brain Model [Re: justchillin]
    #846911 - 08/27/02 12:17 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

very high doses of lsd can put you into the 8th circuit, and it's not necessarily better, although it will open you up to more intensely dramatic and visualized notions of ontology - like vivid experiences of what reincarnation might be like.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder