Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Loc: Northwood, Ohio, U.S.A.
What is Art?
    #8418300 - 05/18/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure that this has been asked before but people's opinions change and I haven't seen a thread like this recently.

What makes something able to be called art? A drawing, a song, a sculpture, a poem, a book, and even an event. These are all things that have been called 'art'. What do they share? Must art be tangible? I'm not sure myself, just wanted to get a discussion going.

If anything, I'd say that something can't have a function in order to be art. This isn't to say that something with functin can't have artistic qualities though.

For example, a bowl I recently purchased has artistic qualities contained in/on it, but because it has a function, it's not art. The same goes for a lamp, a pen, a coffee table, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

Your thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDark_globe
Stranger
Male

Loc: NSW
Re: What is Art? [Re: Boots]
    #8418346 - 05/18/08 10:02 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

speaking in a very broad sense id say something that sparks emotions

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

#8418377 - 05/18/08 10:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I went to the Denver art museum when I was in Colorado last winter. They had a large wall that had those words on it. "What is Art" They had these large sticky notes and felt tip pens. Everyone who wanted to could draw, write, fold, or whatever you wanted to do and post it on the wall. This whole wall was covered in peoples opinions of what are is. Which in turn, made this wall a piece of art. Irony had a lot to do with it.

As for a definition, your not going to find one that everyone will agree on. What is art? I don't believe there is a universal answer, nor will there ever be.

Something can have function and still be art. Architecture is one we can see every day. What about a stained glass window. There are far to many to count or list.

--------------------
I must not Fear. Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. ONLY I WILL REMAIN.

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

Re: What is Art? [Re: Dark_globe]
    #8418386 - 05/18/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_globe said:
speaking in a very broad sense id say something that sparks emotions

If you can't live without a definition, this one is one of the best.

--------------------
brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and
through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8418509 - 05/18/08 10:51 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

"What is Art?"

Anything that man can attempt to put his soul into. Anything.

The greater question begged when you have a broad definition such as this, is that of intention.

I think these artists doing things like having many abortions and videotaping them, or putting sheep into liquid preservative under glass is art- but it's blind to intention. The existence of these artists shows that people are struggling to admit that there is meaning to life, and that everything has value.

And as for function, I think that it's impossible for anything to not have a function. Art in a broad sense tends to have an emotional function- a two way function- one way is the artist's who breathes himself into something new, and one is the audience's who allow themselves to experience something new.

Offlinechrysanthemum
Chaos to Cosmos

Re: What is Art? [Re: vampirism]
    #8418693 - 05/18/08 11:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

art is ultimately communication, its pretty easy to analyze abstract art as abstract communication and so on.

--------------------

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Re: What is Art? [Re: NIMH]
    #8419234 - 05/19/08 06:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

NIMH said:

As for a definition, your not going to find one that everyone will agree on. What is art? I don't believe there is a universal answer, nor will there ever be.

Something can have function and still be art. Architecture is one we can see every day. What about a stained glass window. There are far to many to count or list.

I wasn't looking for a universally-accepted opinion, just each person's individual opinion.

Then, in my opinion, I don't consider architecture art because it has that function. Architecture can still have artistic qualities though.

Quote:

vampirism said:
"What is Art?"

Anything that man can attempt to put his soul into. Anything.

The greater question begged when you have a broad definition such as this, is that of intention.

I think these artists doing things like having many abortions and videotaping them, or putting sheep into liquid preservative under glass is art- but it's blind to intention. The existence of these artists shows that people are struggling to admit that there is meaning to life, and that everything has value.

And as for function, I think that it's impossible for anything to not have a function. Art in a broad sense tends to have an emotional function- a two way function- one way is the artist's who breathes himself into something new, and one is the audience's who allow themselves to experience something new.

Assuming one has a soul, sure I'll buy that. That ties into Jung's theory on mandalas, no?

Could you explain what you mean by blind to intention? Also, of course life has meaning, just nothing inherent. We create, destroy, and recreate the meaning as we go along.

I meant function in a practical sense, not pertaining to emotions or notions of a higher purpose. 'Function' as in the function of a car is to drive it. A piece of music has no practical function, a painting has no practical function, a poem has no practical function, and so on and so forth.

Edited by Boots (05/19/08 06:24 AM)

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #8420842 - 05/19/08 04:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Art has the same likeness to beauty....
It is in the eye of the beholder....

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

Re: What is Art? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8421422 - 05/19/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So what if a piece is made to provoke the viewers thought. Maybe its a painting but it was made by the artist to function as provoking thought. The person made it to provoke the viewers thought. To have that function. Is it not art in your opinion?

Maybe art is opinion.

--------------------

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

#8421441 - 05/19/08 07:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

NIMH said:
So what if a piece is made to provoke the viewers thought. Maybe its a painting but it was made by the artist to function as provoking thought. The person made it to provoke the viewers thought. To have that function. Is it not art in your opinion?

Maybe art is opinion.

Provoking thought is not a practical function. Nobody needs to have their thoughts provoked in order to survive.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#8422496 - 05/19/08 11:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

NIMH said:

It all points to different states and modalities of mood and emotion....
Being perplexed by something, or the state thereof, is still a feeling....
If a feeling is provoked within by viewing something, and you like that feeling, -
or are comfortable with the feeling, then I suppose you would consider it art....

One person's art and beauty, can be yet another's ugly junk....

Then one can ask....
Do we develop our preferences for such things out of choice and opinion, or is it part of us, down to the core....?

>^;;^<

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineNIMH
MadCap
 User Gallery

#8423845 - 05/20/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting point.

--------------------

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your pants.
    #8423968 - 05/20/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

*ahem* I feel that...

Art is a form of expression that seeks to convey a message or invoke an emotion. If you've managed to get your message out (whether it is opinion or political, etc) then you were successful. If you obtain a reaction (anger, happiness, etc) then you were successful.

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

#8425448 - 05/20/08 07:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PhanTomCat said:
Quote:

NIMH said:

Then one can ask....
Do we develop our preferences for such things out of choice and opinion, or is it part of us, down to the core....?

>^;;^<

I think that personal preference for art is derived from external influences. To imply that preference is down in the core is to imply that it is inherent and I don't believe that anything is inherent (which brings up the contradictory phrase "Inherently, nothing is inherent"). Implying that preferences are down to the core also implies that the beauty one finds within the art is inherent.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#8425766 - 05/20/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You haven't stated with any certainty one way or the other WHY you have come to your conclusions....
"I think" and "I believe" are not supporting to your argument....
I wonder how you can be so sure of yourself either way....    :ohwell:

I simply asked the question.... 

It doesn't have to be "art" to carry on this same discussion - which can go the opposite way from your conclusions.... 
Beauty and attraction to a mate is being found to be something that is indeed inherent (and arguably, can be considered "art")....
Subtle cues that our eyes pick up on in symmetry, and spacing of the facial features help make us decide in an *INSTANT* whether we are attracted to someone or not....
Not saying that simple familiarity and conscious decisions can't make you override this "instinct", but physical structure judgment is almost instant....

Why is it so far fetched to think that it is not all related as to what we *PREFER* when it comes to the colors and shapes in art....?    :shrug:

>^;;^<

--------------------

>^;;^<

Offlinexshadowmage666x
*opiate enthusiast*
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here, Right Now Flag
    #8425786 - 05/20/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PhanTomCat said:
Art has the same likeness to beauty....
It is in the eye of the beholder....

>^;;^<

QFT

if i may id like to add that "art" is anything that you can express yourself by doing that others can appreciate by viewing/hearing/or feeling..

im high as fuck and thats the best way i could explain it...:rofl:

--------------------

"It is the prayer of my innermost being to realize my supreme identity in the liberated play of consciousness, the Vast Expanse. Now is the moment, Here is the place of Liberation. " -alex grey

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8427679 - 05/21/08 07:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I agreed with him, so I'll give it my take.

What you think is awesome isn't something inherent or internal, because your taste is constantly changing, and it's reflective of your personal worldview. Art has to have an internal language, and that language is something that adheres to either customs, or building off of what you react to in your environment.

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
Re: What is Art? [Re: vampirism]
    #8429576 - 05/21/08 04:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Art, to me, is a facet of originality. When I can look at a painting or listen to some music and remain solely focused on the piece without instinctively drawing comparisons to other works, I see that as art. Born of the moment, not of the past. The opposite of something contrived?

--------------------

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Re: What is Art? [Re: WScott]
    #8430663 - 05/21/08 09:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

WScottsdale. No offense, but can you show/recommend me a piece of art that is contrived? Every artist has an influence.

OfflineWScott
´ ɑ `▽ ᑲᓇᑕ
 User Gallery

Loc: Nacada
    #8433790 - 05/22/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Influences create innovative artists, I agree. What I was getting at is the difference between trying to make a piece of art and simply painting. One involves expectations and preconceptions and the other is independent from these things.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale