Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshaganoz
researcher

Loc: Some cold place
Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens outside
    #835361 - 08/22/02 06:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hello there. I got a question.. I ordered some spawn bags with colonized mycelium from sjamaan.com and wondered if its too late to grow them outside? I live in Scandinavia. The strains are psilocybe bohemica and psilocybe cyanscens. If it is too late is there anything I can do to store the spawn bags for later use, like in the spring? Could I mix it with woodchips in a big bag and let it colonize more there? And add more and more woodcips until spring so it colonize alot? Or do you think they will grow now or in the spring if I plant them out now? Will they survive the winter? Thanks

I appreciate any answer

--------------------
-Everything I write is fictional entertainment and should not be taken seriously-
-To email me, remove NOSPAM from my email adress or else I won't get it-

Edited by shaganoz (08/22/02 07:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshaganoz
researcher

Re: Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens outside [Re: shaganoz]
    #836321 - 08/22/02 02:33 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I really need help with this Anyone know? I dont want it to be wasted. What shall I do, someone must have experience to share ;P

Maybe just eat the mycelium if its too late?

--------------------
-Everything I write is fictional entertainment and should not be taken seriously-

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
    #836767 - 08/22/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It would all depend on what the temperatures etc. are like where you are at the moment. Does your winter drop below freezing? Snowy?
If you are making an outdoor bed for a woodlover / cold lover, you need to allow at LEAST three months before the time that you want it to fruit, for it to colonise enough and gain access to more nutrients. So, if in at least 3 months from now the weather will be warming up and no longer optimal for Cyanescens, then they will most likely not fruit this year.
If this is the case, there are several things you can do. The first thing you should be doing no matter what is constantly spawning more and more woodchips, this gives you a lot more mycelium to play with.
From here, there are several options you could take (and there is nothing to stop you from doing all of these - you want shroom-mania!)

-When you have a reasonable amount of colonised chip, you can lay your outdoor bed at any time, infact early i.e. spring, summer is good, as by the time next season comes along, it will be large and ready to fruit.

-Get some large trays, like 50cm x 50cm or so, and like 10cm deep, and colonise these, by doing a bottom layer (3cm) uncolonised (sterilised) wood, then a layer of spawn (maybe 1 or 2cm) then fill up the rest with uncolonised chip. Wait for these to colonise then come fruiting season you can just bung them outside without worry of disturbing the mycelium network (ask bluemeanie about this for more info, he is doing it with subaeruginosa)

-If you are really keen to get fruits soon, you could try using the 'Fridge Tek' and fruit these all year around. I have done this with great success with Ps. Subaeruginosa, which, from what I hear, has more or less the same fruiting parameters as Cyanescens, Azurescens etc. Here is a link to my grow log: Indoor Ps.Subaeruginosa!
Other than this, just keep colonising more and more woodchip in bags, it should last a reasonable amount of time in the bags as long as it is kept in a cool environment. Then use this to lay your beds outdoors, follow an outdoor tek and I think you should be fine By the way, when you have harvested these, would you be interested in doing a spore print trade for Ps. Subaeruginosa? PM me if you are, I think that these are a great addition to any woodlover collection!

Offlineshaganoz
researcher

Re: Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens outside [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #836803 - 08/22/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks alot for the info and help Sounds great, I will give that a try. I still got one more question, do they easily get contamed? should i pasteurise/sterilise the woodchips? And yes, sure I could give u some spore prints if it turns out ok man I can't wait to get it growing If anyone got even more info and tips I really will appreciate all of it )

Take care friends! Nice growin :P

--------------------

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens out [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #836807 - 08/22/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"So, if in at least 3 months from now the weather will be warming up and no longer optimal for Cyanescens, then they will most likely not fruit this year."

P_P: remember, it's coming up to the end of summer this side of the globe
Shaganoz: I'm planning on getting a load of chips colonised by winter, then trying to fruit them in my garage, or if I get enough soon enough, in my greenhouse. Should be fun

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
    #837189 - 08/22/02 11:20 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Please read my grow log called Psilocybe cyanescens update. There is a lot of information there. I am just putting mine outside this weekend in Toronto but I started with syringes June 1st and now have a cake 1 1/2 Gallons on Aspen litter to set into the bed. They do not contaminate easily and you just need to transfer some colonized chips into a new container of wood and they will grow. I did not sterilize my wood chips but soaked them in steaming hot water from the tap. Put your culture into a SMALL container of wood preferably shavings or small chips and keep it between 62f and 75f. I grew mine in a 62f basement all summer and they grew beautifully. They grow slowly and steadily. As the small container becomes colonized bury the cake into a larger container of larger wood chips and let it fill up. Then a larger container until you get to next spring when you will put it outside. If you have a large enough chunk you might get mushrooms next spring, and if not for next fall. I have five different totes full now to experiment with. Put some outside, and keep some growing inside. You shouldn't have trouble to find a cool place to force them to fruit where you live. Before the end of the winter, try to fruit some indoors in a porch or cold basement. They need to drop below 58f to fruit. If they go below 40f growth will stop. You need to keep adding fresh wood as they eat the wood. I think the reason beds die out after time is the cyanescens just runs out of food. I plan to keep adding new wood to the bed every spring and see if they will survive.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Offlinecomario
amateur
Loc: U.S.A. (N.E.) & South Europe
Re: Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens out [Re: Orchidman]
    #837588 - 08/23/02 06:13 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

all excellent points, guys. i now have 8 rubbermaid containers (approx 10 qts size each), all outside, colonizing very aggressively, no contam (except from some wierd cubensis!!!) although some of the wood chips were only soaked, not even pasteurized! my biggest problem are snails and other insects, etc. so i have wrapped the containers with a plastic mesh (the one for window screens). i went from agar isolates to grain then to woodchips (alder, maple ans hickory - this last one is working out extremely well, much better than the aspen litter, which i stopped using as my experience is that after initial aggressive colonization everything slows down, i assume because the aspen litter has a lower nutritional content than the chips, and also because of its smaller size). the inoculated rubbermaids are covered with a layer of green foliage cut from the surrounding trees, to provide for shade and maintain humidity. an automatic mister, 30 mins daily a generous but gentle spray of water. hopefully, temps will start dropping soon. hope we get these azures to fruit!!!!!!!! at least one of us!

--------------------
x

Edited by comario (08/23/02 06:37 AM)

Offlineshaganoz
researcher

Re: Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens out [Re: comario]
    #838570 - 08/23/02 03:16 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the help guys I will give it a try I dont think its too late here, its warm and getting colder the next months. I hope to get some luck with it, would be neat having a patch of shrooms out in my woods here

Btw, where outside would be optimal conditions to grow them, were do they like to be placed?

Thanks again and take care

--------------------

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Re: Spawn bags:growing bohemica and cyanscens out [Re: shaganoz]
    #841613 - 08/25/02 01:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

A common place to find cyanescens is in wood mulch used in gardens and flower beds. They frequently occur in Rhododendron beds. Government buildings use a lot of bark. In nature they grow on fallen logs such as Fir or Alder and are quite rare.
To grow them in the garden you need to make a bed underneath some shrubs to give them shade. It has to be in a place where the rain can reach. Of all the woods, they like Alder the best, then Maple then Fir, and even Spruce if it is aged. Although azurescens likes sandy soil, cyanescens likes clay soil. As I have sandy soil, I am thinking about adding clay to the bed by casing the beds with fresh Kitty Litter. It is baked clay and will work its way down into the bed with the rain. It is designed to grab and hold water and will keep the wood nice and moist. Hopefully it will keep the slugs and insects away from the mushrooms. I'm going to experiment with a mixture of Aspen litter and clay and innoculate it with some collonized chips today just to see what happens to the kitty litter.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Offlineshaganoz
researcher

#842256 - 08/25/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the information, I'll make a bed somewhere out in the woods, as where I got most my plants and stuff in my "secret garden" hehe. Nice stuff growing there :P Lemme know how it turns out with your experiments too

Take care and have a nice enlightening day

--------------------

Offlinecomario
amateur
Loc: U.S.A. (N.E.) & South Europe
    #843396 - 08/26/02 02:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

good idea, Orchidman. keep us updated

--------------------
x

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures