Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Loc: America
graft trouble
    #8410465 - 05/16/08 06:13 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

What do I do wrong ?
I tried to graft newly sprouted 2 month old cactus to some tricho stock. Read the how to guides here and everything looked good : the tops started to dry out but they dried too much and now the grafts are just dried dots of tissue. they were covered loosely with plastic sheet (but not sealed up) and placed under Flo lights WTf--I thought this would be relatively easy. How should I do this next time??

CM

--------------------
You gotta do what you gotta do.  Sometimes you gotta munch cactus, some times you gotta munch carpet!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: graft trouble [Re: carpetmunch]
    #8410529 - 05/16/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It sounds like you didnĀ“t attach your scion to the rootstock. Only seedling can be grafted without attachment.
Use some sort of tape to press the scion against the rootstock. And always cut on newly grown tissue.

FH

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Re: graft trouble [Re: felixhigh]
    #8410568 - 05/16/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Ok--I sliced the rootstock and then sliced a very thin piece of rootstock which I left in place while i sliced my scion plant in two pieces then slid each half one at time on to the center of the root stock (after removing the thin rootstock slice). I pressed the scion down and they seemed to have good contact. Does that sound reasonable? I need to use tape then--scotch tape?

Is it a problem to place under flo light right after?
And should you baggie each plant and keep sealed?

--------------------
You gotta do what you gotta do.  Sometimes you gotta munch cactus, some times you gotta munch carpet!

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

#8410603 - 05/16/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If you centered the scion onto the root stock. There is your problem. you have to allign them just off center so that the vascular rings are linked, With a 2 month old seedling you might be better off using Pereskiopsis.

I'm new to grafting also but I've found once you get the alignment down it's pretty simple from then on. I just did my first Top head graft with L Williamsii and Pereskiopsis, This is day 2 and it seems to be taking ok.

Good luck

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Re: graft trouble [Re: sturmer88]
    #8410654 - 05/16/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hey thanks sturmer you are right!--The graft pics I've seen seemed to be centered, so I misunderstood

Much appreciated! cm

--------------------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #8410673 - 05/16/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah it must be a bit off centered and you should use a bit of tape too.

FH

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Re: graft trouble [Re: felixhigh]
    #8410723 - 05/16/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Felix you seem to be a knowledgeable fellow. How long have you been into cactus?
CM

--------------------

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

#8410808 - 05/16/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Heres a pic of my new L Williamsii head graft. Both seedlings are just over 2 months old. I would think your best root stock would be Pereskiosis since they are so small but I don't know the size of your seedlings. I may be wrong.

Does anyone know if grafting young seedlings 45-60 days old to a columnar specimen is a good idea? I thought it was better to wait untill the seedlings were a little bigger for those kind of grafts.

The head graft is on the left and to the right my 2nd graft attempt has fully taken and growing quickly.

(As you can see Tony the T is very happy with my first graft. He says their Grrrrrrrrreat!!!)

Edited by sturmer88 (05/16/08 08:14 PM)

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

#8410872 - 05/16/08 08:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Looks good sturmer, How close a match were the diameters of each plant at the time you grafted?
CM

--------------------

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

#8411410 - 05/16/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

carpetmunch said:
Looks good sturmer, How close a match were the diameters of each plant at the time you grafted?
CM

You bring up a good question. Since This last graft was over 2 months old and a head graft. I was a little worried that the diameter of the graft would surpass the diameter of the root stock but as you can see in the picture the graft was a little smaller than the root stock. Perfect. I believe I got it a little off center close to the edge. It seems to be taking so far. It's not shriveling and it's even reddening a bit. I believe that is a good sign.

As you can see the graft on the right has taken perfectly. It's already grown to the point to just cover the entire root stock, and is a healthy green. So far I've only had to cut 1 peresk offset from each side. I waited for both to grow about an inch or so. Then I cut with a razor blade and am rooting them for more peresk.

One of the things I love about Peresk is that you can cut just an inch and root it easilly. So you could create 6 Peresk cuttings from 1 6 inch specimen if you wanted. The weather has been really hot out here so the Peresks I've been rooting have begun to take off. I have about 15 so far and every graft I take. I also get an extra cutting.

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

#8412127 - 05/17/08 07:45 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

One of the things I love about Peresk is that you can cut just an inch and root it easilly. So you could create 6 Peresk cuttings from 1 6 inch specimen if you wanted.

absolutely!
I have just started to propagate them and they truly are amazing. I have had some for a long while and did not realize how easy cuttings were. They do seem to love the heat.
CM

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds